Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Self-Examination; The Almost Christian

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davies

Brothers and Sisters,

I think there is a fear in self-examination that keeps us from living the abundant life promised to us as believers in Jesus. A resource that I haven't fully explored, but I think has been very insightful so far, is Matthew Mead's work in a book called The Almost Christian Discovered; or the False Professor Tried and Cast.

"It is the hypocrite's fault to sit under the trials and discoveries of the word, and yet not to mind them: and it is the weak Christian's fault to draw sad conclusions of their own from premises which nothing concern them.

There is indeed great use of such doctrine as this is to all believers:

1. To make them look to their standing, upon what bottom they are, and to see that the foundation of their hope be well laid, that they build not upon the sand, but upon a rock.

2. It helps to raise our admiration of the distinguishing love of God, in bringing us into the way everlasting, when so many perish from the way, and in overpowering our souls into a true conversion, when so many take up with a graceless profession.

3. It incites to that excellent duty of heart-searching, that so we may approve ourselves to God in sincerity.

4. It engages the soul in double diligence, that it may be found not only believing, but persevering in faith to the end.

These duties, and such as these are, make this doctrine of use to all believers; but they ought not to make use of it as a stumbling-block in the way of their peace and comfort."

If we are stumbled in self-examination because we find some terrible sin, then we prove that we are not trusting in God, but if we examine ourselves and find many terrible sins, then should find rest in Jesus because it is confirmed to us that Jesus died for the right person, a sinner. Our sins should lead us to trust Jesus Christ more, not to hide or run away from Him.

If you don't think you are a sinful, wretched, and foul person at heart, then you may question your need for salvation, or may not even see any need, as I have had occasion to hear from family. Could this happen because we fear what we might learn about ourselves in the light of what God says about us in the Bible?

- Davies

Good evening,

Here is a provocative thought: Those who do the work of Christ can be an Almost Christian. This is for those who think they can go to heaven based on what they do.

"In St. Matthew you read of some that came and made boast of their profession to Christ, hoping that might save them; Lord, say they "have we not prophesied in thy name, cast out devils in they name, done many wonderful works in thy name?"

Now what saith our Lord to this? "Then I will profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from me."

Mark, here are they that prophesy in his name, and yet perish in his wrath; in his name case out devils, and then are cast out themselves; in his name do many wonderful works, and yet perish for wicked workers.

The profession of religion will no more keep a man from perishing, than calling a ship the safeguard, or the goodspeed, will keep her from foundering.

As many go to heaven with the fear of hell in their hearts, so many go to hell with the name of Christ in their mouths. Now then, if many may perish under a profession of godliness, then may a man be a high professor of religion, and yet be but almost a Christian." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian ...

Perhaps many people have studied Matthew 7:22-23 and understand what it means, and though I believe I understand what it means, the passage still flashes fear when I question if I know it or not. This has to be the nightmare of all nightmares to a professing Christian, to be deceived. I think if a person has doubts over his salvation, he may very well be saved, but if you think your works justify you before God, you have to wonder what makes you any different than those referred to in Matthew 7:22-23.

- Davies

Good evening,

Here is a provocative thought: Those who do the work of Christ can be an Almost Christian. This is for those who think they can go to heaven based on what they do.

"In St. Matthew you read of some that came and made boast of their profession to Christ, hoping that might save them; Lord, say they "have we not prophesied in thy name, cast out devils in they name, done many wonderful works in thy name?"

Now what saith our Lord to this? "Then I will profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from me."

Mark, here are they that prophesy in his name, and yet perish in his wrath; in his name case out devils, and then are cast out themselves; in his name do many wonderful works, and yet perish for wicked workers.

The profession of religion will no more keep a man from perishing, than calling a ship the safeguard, or the goodspeed, will keep her from foundering.

As many go to heaven with the fear of hell in their hearts, so many go to hell with the name of Christ in their mouths. Now then, if many may perish under a profession of godliness, then may a man be a high professor of religion, and yet be but almost a Christian." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian ...

Perhaps many people have studied Matthew 7:22-23 and understand what it means, and though I believe I understand what it means, the passage still flashes fear when I question if I know it or not. This has to be the nightmare of all nightmares to a professing Christian, to be deceived. I think if a person has doubts over his salvation, he may very well be saved, but if you think your works justify you before God, you have to wonder what makes you any different than those referred to in Matthew 7:22-23.

- Davies

I certainly understand why you may fear to hear those Words.

You may not understand why I might expect to hear same and NOT fear His Words.

You can try to understanding deception as something of yourself, or, you may understand deception as something NOT of yourself.

In that understanding we will hear differently.

Source deception. A believer who does not understand deception is of THE DECEIVER can not hear those Words you fear 'accurately.'

Are you deceived? Beyond any question. Am I? Beyond any doubt in my mind.

To even pick up the Word of God is to engage the TEMPTER within.

Where you hear FEAR...

I hear FINAL DIVISION.

enjoy!

smaller

You can read Wesley's sermon on this: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/wesley/sermons.v.ii.html

John Owen wrote one of the best treatises I've read on self examination: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/owen/mort.i.i.html

One thing I love about the Puritan writers is they leave no stone unturned; no escape but Christ :)

They all thundered the fear of deception and the threats to darkness.

Never a ONCE seeing or perceiving same upon themselves. Most often the measures of hypocrisy.

It is one thing to decry the darkness upon another person. It is much more difficult to come to grips with these matters 'personally.'

Their methods became, in essence, a 'growth industry' that resulted in, for example, the 4 step program of salvation, to avoid having to heed their dire promotions.

They used the instrument of fear to gather up their proselytes. The methodology is still well in vogue.

"you too can escape" what I am saying if you only listen to me.

But never once do these men speak honestly of their own darkness. They all down to the last man gave themselves an 'I am off the hook pass' and sold that pass to others.

s

You can read Wesley's sermon on this: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/wesley/sermons.v.ii.html

John Owen wrote one of the best treatises I've read on self examination: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/owen/mort.i.i.html

One thing I love about the Puritan writers is they leave no stone unturned; no escape but Christ :)

Thanks Seculative for the resources. As smaller pointed it out, I'm sure the saints that have gone before us had no less problems with sin than we do, but I must say, they have a better understanding of the Scriptures then what I hear coming out of the pulpits of most modern-day churches. Since I haven't listened to every pastor in America, I'll say I speculate. ;)

- Davies

It is virtually impossible for men or women in the pulpit who rely on their systems for their worldly substance to speak honestly, as to do so is not conducive to their worldly substance. They can dance around the edges, they can pin the issues upon others, but to themselves, they can not speak. To do so would mean their fall.

Jesus was quite clear on this matter:

Matthew 6:24
No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

If one 'serves' God truthfully none would pay to listen, and they, the ones working in the 'paid systems' will more than likely try to kill the competition, as Jesus Himself showed us all.

This kind of competitive activity still goes on today, not much different than in the days of the Pharisees:

John 11:48
If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation.

They said the above under Roman captivity no less. That is how utterly blind they were and how utterly sold out they were to upholding their phony pony system.

Under truthful 'self examinations' one should quickly discover this fact:

Luke 14:26
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

There is a Divine Godly reason to enter into this type of self examination and discovery. You will not hear many if any promoting this from the pulpit, ever. It's not a 'popular' discovery and it doesn't pay very well whatsoever.

God feeds His sheep with two measures:

Zephaniah 11:
7 And I will feed the flock of slaughter, even you, O poor of the flock. And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock.

Flocks of men will pay to buy BEAUTY. They will not pay to buy BANDS.

That is why The Shepard Himself feeds His Own.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
Romans 8;
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Hosea 12:10
I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

Jerehiah 3:
2Lift up thine eyes unto the high places, and see where thou hast not been lien with. In the ways hast thou sat for them, as the Arabian in the wilderness; and thou hast polluted the land with thy whoredoms and with thy wickedness.
3 Therefore the showers have been withholden, and there hath been no latter rain; and thou hadst a whore's forehead, thou refusedst to be ashamed.

s

Good night or good morning,

You can say people can delight in the law of the Lord, and yet be an Almost Christian. I tell you, I wonder what Matthew is going to say when he leads with these seemingly contradictory statements.

"But is it not made a character of a godly man, to delight in the word of God? doth not David say, "He is a blessed man that delights in the law of the Lord?"

Answer. There is a delighting in the word, which flows from grace, and is a proof of blessedness.

1. He that delights in the word because of its spirituality, he is a Christian indeed: the more spiritual the ordinances are, the more doth a gracious heart delight in them.

2. When the word comes close to the conscience, rips up the heart, and discovers sin, and yet the soul delights in it notwithstanding; this is a sign of grace.

3. When delight arises from that communion that is to be had with God there; this is from a principle of grace in the soul.

But there may be delight in the word, because of the eloquence of the preacher: they delight not so much in the truths delivered, as in the dress they are delivered in. Thus it is said of the prophet Ezekiel, that he was to them "as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice."

2. There are very many delight to hear the word, that yet take no delight to do it; so saith God of them, "They delight to hear my words, but they do them not."

Now then if a man may delight in the word, more because of the eloquence of the preacher, than because of the spirituality of the matter; if he may delight to hear the word, and yet not delight to do it; then he may delight in the word, and yet be but almost a Christian." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian ...

After reading this, I said to myself, "You do not do what God says." Am I an Almost Christian? No, because even though the word rips open the heart and finds sin, I still find delight in the law. Because Jesus paid for my sin, the sin that was found to be in the future, there is no longer condemnation. I find all the more reason to love God and am motivated to repent.
Romans 7:15-16

New King James Version (NKJV)

15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.

- Davies

Good afternoon,

I think of the Almost Christian as a person who hasn't come to the place where he understands that any effort on his part, whether it be his thinking or his outward behavior, to change cannot be accomplished other than through the dependency and trust in the work of Jesus.

"Morality and civility may commend us to men, but not to God. They are of no value in the procurement of an eternal salvation.

A man may go far in an outward change, and yet not be one step nearer heaven, than he that never was under any change; nay, he may be, in some sense, further off; as Christ saith, the Scribes and Pharisees "were farther from heaven," with all their shew of godliness, than publicans and harlots in all their sin and uncleanness. Because resting in a false work, a partial change, we neglect to seek after a true and saving change. There is nothing more common, than to mistake our state, and by overweening thoughts misjudge our condition, and so perish in our own delusions.

The world is full of these foolish builders, that lay the foundation of their hopes of eternal salvation upon the sand." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

Intellectually, I have come to this place, but when it comes to applying the Gospel in my daily life, I struggle. I sin, and because of the knowledge of the Gospel given to me, I'm more guilty than the non-believer. Does God love me less? Have I lost my salvation? No. Because of the faith that has been given to me, I know that nothing can separate me from the love of God because the death of Jesus is good enough to pay for my worst sins. Do you think that Jesus' payment is enough to provide you with forgiveness and eternal life?

- Davies

Good morning,

The person may be able to pray much, yet, he can still be an Almost Christian.

"A man is not therefore a Christian, because he is much in prayer. I grant,

That those prayers that are from the workings and sighings of God's spirit in us; from sincere hearts lifted up to God; from a sense of our own emptiness, and God's infinite fulness; that are suited to God's will, the great rule of prayer; that are for spiritual things, more than temporal; that are accompanied with faith and dependence; such prayers speak a man altogether a Christian. But now a man may be much in prayer, and yet be a stranger to such prayer; as,

... 2. A man may pray in pretence, for a covering to some sin; so did those devout Pharisees; "Woe to you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; for ye devour widows houses, and for a pretence make long prayers, therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."

... 5. A man may pray, and yet be far from God in prayer. "This people draw nigh to me with their mouths, and honour me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.-(Isa. XXiX.13.) A man may pray, and yet have no heart in prayer, and that God chiefly looks at; for it is said, "My son give me thy heart."...

7. Affliction, and the pressures of outward evils, will make a man pray, and pray much: "when he slew them, then they sought him, and returned, and enquired early after God." The heathen mariners called every man upon his God, when in a storm: when they fear drowning then they fall to praying. Jonah i. 5. ...

6. A man's prayer may be a lie; as a profession without sanctity is a lie to the world; so prayer without sincerity, is a lie to God. It is said of Israel, that they "sought God, and inquired early after him:" they were much in prayer, and God calls all but a lie. "Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied to him with their tongues, for their heart was not with him. (Ps. lxxviii. 34, 36, 37)" Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian ...

I would ask has there ever been a person, besides Jesus, that has struggled with praying. It would seem, even without reading Matthew Mead, the most of what comes out of my mouth are from selfish desires. You've heard of the phrase that we treat God as our cosmic butler. How sad, and I have treated God in this manner. How many times have I pointed the finger at someone in prayer to God? How many times have I neglected prayer when life was smooth only to crash on the rocks of tribulation? How many times have I prayed to God with no intention of obeying Him?; what a hypocrite! I think anyone who knew me could easily say I am an Almost Christian. Satan's accusations have the strength of the appearance of our life. Do you still want to base your salvation on what you do? I don't. I believe God has directed my life, as I believe He directs your life to show you that you need salvation, and we need to trust in the saving work that Jesus completed when He said, 'It is finished.' That is who and what we need to have faith in to grow in our sanctification, and not in ourselves and what we do. Thus we will throw off the costume called Almost Christian.

- Davies

If you don't think you are a sinful, wretched, and foul person at heart, then you may question your need for salvation, or may not even see any need, as I have had occasion to hear from family. Could this happen because we fear what we might learn about ourselves in the light of what God says about us in the Bible?
I believe it is more likely to have happened because the foundations for declaring something to be a sin are themselves doubted. One cannot truly have sin without God. There can be wrong, perhaps even evil, but sin is intrinsically linked to the God who declares it to be so.

Heeding His warning concerning facing God at the judgment, Jesus now presents a picture of two groups of hearers. He has dealt with, two classes of teachers—false prophets and true prophets—and now gives warning to the two classes of hearers.

The picture is not of two men deliberately selecting foundations upon which to build a house, but it contrasts one who carefully chooses and prepares his foundation with the one who builds carelessly. This is more strongly brought out by Luke 6:48 when he says, "Who digged and went deep, and laid a foundation upon the rock." The one who hears the words of Jesus and obeys them is "likened unto a wise man, who built his house upon the rock"; this means those who do the will of God (verse 21) are like the man who carefully prepared the foundation and built his house.

He who hears the words of Jesus, and does them, is safe against all the evil influences of the world, safe forever; he who simply hears, and does not do, is doomed to fail of salvation, and be crushed in utter destruction.

And it also says "there is one lawgiver who is able to save and to destroy".
And it also says, "I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died."

If the lawgiver and his laws are unknown, then there can be no sin. It is only with knowledge of both that sin can come alive.

yes, but well you were raised in the rcc and left. you are without excuse and so are most orthodox jews. they have the tanach and if they wanted to see God's messiah they would clearly but that blindness is sad for them. buts it mention clearly. i read alot of jewish stuff and i can see it.

And it also says, "I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died."

If the lawgiver and his laws are unknown, then there can be no sin. It is only with knowledge of both that sin can come alive.

I am just curious what scripture you are quoting...I cannot find it in the KJV Bible.

Back