Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Self-Examination; The Almost Christian

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Good afternoon,

When we are not content, I suggest that we have forgotten what God has done for us. We've forgotten where we came from, and we should return to our first love, as Jesus told the church of Ephesus.

"It is no where said in Scripture, "Happy is the man that findeth silver, and the man that getteth fine gold:" these are of no weight in the balance of the sanctuary; but it is said, "Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding; for the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold." --(Prov. iii. 13, 14.)

By wisdom and understanding here, we are to understand the grace of Christ, and so the Spirit of God interpreteth it. "Behold the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding."

Of all Merchants, he that trades in this wisdom and understanding, will prove the richest man; one grain of godliness outweigheth all the gold of Ophir: there is no riches like being rich in grace; for,

1. This is the most necessary riches, other things are not so; silver and gold are not so; we may be, and be happy without them. There is but one thing necessary, and that is the grace of Jesus Christ in the heart. Have this and have all; want this, and want all." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

Ever have that feeling of not being satisfied? What person hasn't experienced that? Pure greed can't satisfy that heart. When God said, 'Thou shalt not covet,' every person who was not satisfied with what God had given them transgressed the Law. As I sit in my current circumstances, I sometimes wish they were different. Why? Because I haven't learned to be content with or without, at least not in the way I should be. So, I look to Jesus and ask Him to forgive me of having not valued His sacrifice the way I should, and to soften my heart. Do you have grace in the heart?

- Davies

Good evening,

We are often searching for some means to feel better. Circumstances may be unpleasant to down right miserable. We may be discontent with ourselves. We could have a physical ailment, or we could be just unhappy with our physical condition; there's blindness, deafness, or a thousand other maladies. We could have a rotten job with a rotten boss. You fill in the blank. The question is where do we find comfort. We can find comfort in food, videos, shopping, our jobs, anything we can get our hands on. Money can provide a lot comfort in any arena the mind can think. Where is your comfort found?

"2. "If we look at comfort," Religion is the most comfortable profession; there are no comforts to be compared to the comforts of grace and godliness.

1. "Worldly comfort is only outward," it is but skin-deep: "In the midst of laughter the heart is sorrowful." But the comfort that flows from godliness is an inward comfort, a spiritual joy; therefore it is called gladness of heart. "Thou has put gladness in my heart." --(Ps. iv. 7.) Other joy smooths the brow, but this fills the breast.

2. "Worldly comfort hath a nether spring," the spring of worldly comfort is in the creature, in some earthly enjoyment; and therefore the comfort of worldly men must needs be mixed and muddy; "an unclean fountain cannot send forth pure water." But spiritual comfort hath an upper spring; the comfort that accompanies godliness, flows from the manifestations of the love of God in Christ, from the workings of the blessed Spirit in the heart, which is first a counsellor, and then a comforter; and therefore the comforts of the saints must needs be pure and unmixed comforts, for they flow from a pure spring.

3. Worldly comfort is very fading and transitory:" "The triumphing of the wicked is but short, and the joy of the hypocrite is but for a moment:" Solomon compares it to the crackling of thorns under a pot, which is but a blaze, and soon out; so is the comfort of carnal hearts: but the comfort of godliness is a durable and abiding comfort, : your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man shall take from you.: --(John xvi. 22.)" Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

Isn't it like a soothing salve when someone gives you comfort? When I sin and my peace flies out the window, there is no place to go but to the cross. When life is hell, and misery is at every turn, there is no place to go but to the cross. Everything Jesus experienced in His earthly ministry allows Him to sympathize what you experience. When you finish with your trial, you'll be able to comfort someone who experiences something similar. I hope we will find our comfort throughout our daily lives in Jesus alone and what He has done. Otherwise, you'll find your comfort evaporating.

I've tried to make these posts shorter, but it's not working out so well.

- Davies

Good morning,

Do you have peace this morning? Are you troubled this morning? I would say, if you are never troubled by what you do, say, or think, then you don't have a soul. If you don't have any troubles, then how can you be a servant to one who does have troubles?

"1. Sin within; the saints of God are not all spirit and no flesh, all grace and no sin; they are made up of contrary principles; there is light and darkness in the same mind. sin and grace in the same will, carnal and spiritual in the same affections; there is The flesh lusting against the spirit: in all these, and too oft, the Lord knows, is the believer led away captive by these warring lusts; so was the holy apostle himself: "I find then a law, that when I would do good, evil is present with me. --(Rom. vii. 21) I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin;" and this was that which broke his spiritual peace, and filled his soul with trouble and complaints, as you see, verse 24: "O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this body of death?"

So that it is sin that interrupts the peace of God's people; indwelling lust stirring and breaking forth, must needs cause trouble and grief in the soul of a believer; for it is as natural for sin to bring forth trouble, as it is for grace to bring forth peace; every sin contracts a new guilt upon the soul, and guilt provokes God; and where there is a sense of guilt contracted, and God provoked, there can be no peace, not quiet in the soul, till faith procures fresh sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ upon the conscience." Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

Having read this a few times, I don't think God is angry with me when I sin, because I have the atoning work of Jesus applied to my account. Also, I don't think God is pleased when I sin. Anything not of faith is sin, Romans 14:23. So, If I'm struggling like the apostle Paul, described in Romans 7, how can a person ever have peace? When you see the mountain of sin reaching to Heaven, do you think that Jesus doesn't love you as much? Now that you have discovered sin, do you think Jesus' sacrifice wasn't good enough to pay for all your sin? Someone might say, 'I try and I try. I just seem to never be able to do any good.' I'd say the Holy Spirit has opened your eyes. Put your faith in Jesus who provided the payment for you sins, and satisfied the justice of God. Welcome to the family of God.

- Davies

Good evening,

If the work of the Christian is to believe in Jesus, then how does one go about believing. I think Christians would agree that faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God, and faith comes by the Spirit of God. Faith is not a light switch that can be turned on at a moment's decision. I believe that faith is granted by the sole discretion of God which serves His purposes. I think what Matthew Mead says is good for us to consider.

"Direction 1. First, "Break off all false peace of conscience;" this is the devil's bond, to hold the soul from seeking after Christ. As there is the peace of God, so there is the peace of Satan; but they are easily known, for they are as contrary as Heaven and Hell, as light and darkness.

The peace of God flows from a work of grace in the soul, and is the peace of a regenerate state; but the peace of Satan is the peace of an unregenerate state, it is the peace of death;...

The peace of God in the soul is a peace flowing from removal of guilt, by justifying grace; "Being justified by faith in his blood, we have peace with God;" but the peace of Satan in the soul arises and is maintained by a stupidity of spirit, and insensibility of guilt upon the conscience.

The peace of God is a peace from sin, that fortifies the heart against it: "The peace of God that passeth all men's understanding, shall keep your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus." The more of this peace there is in the soul, the more is the soul fortified against sin; but the peace of Satan is peace in sin: "The strong man armed keeps the house, and there is all at peace." The saint's peace is a peace with God, but not with sin; the sinner's peace is a peace with sin; but not with God: and this is a peace better broken than kept: it is a false, a dangerous, and undoing peace; my brethren, "death and judgment will break all peace of conscience," but only that which is wrought by Christ in the soul, and is the fruit of the "blood of sprinkling: when he gives quietness, who can make trouble?" Now that peace that death will break, why should you keep? Who would be fond of that quietness which the flames of Hell will burn in sunder: and yet how many travel to hell through the fool's paradise of a false peace!

O break off this peace! for we can have no peace with God in Christ, whilst this peace remains in our hearts; the Lord gives no peace to them that will not seek it; and that man will never seek it, that does not see his need of it: and he that is at peace in his lusts, sees no need of the peace of Christ. The sinner must be wounded for sin, and troubled under it, before Christ will heal his wounds, and give him peace form it." Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

Whatever you do, say, or think, is it sin or does it break the peace you have with Jesus? If the answer is yes, then go to the cross and know that Jesus death paid for your sin. If you can't go to the cross of Christ, then you should not have any peace. You should not allow yourself peace until you are trusting in Jesus and what He has done for you. There is no short cut here. This is the work that you have to do to believe in Jesus. If you have peace with God by what you do, say, and think (in other words, it's not against the Law), or it doesn't discourage your belief in Jesus but encourages you in your belief in Jesus, then you can rest in this peace because faith in the finished work of Jesus will agree with it. I think another way of saying it is, I obey God because I love Him. Is what I do, say, or think an expression of love to God? If it is, then this is called walking in the Spirit, abiding in the love of God.

The challenge here is not allowing ourselves peace when we know we aren't right or trying to bribe the conscience so we will feel better without going to the cross. No, we are not justified by what we do, but we are justified by believing in Jesus and what He has done.

- Davies

Good morning,

The work of the Christian, what should we be doing? Given the number of people and variety of circumstances, God gave us His word that can address anything. I think we have to confess the working of the Holy Spirit giving credit where credit is due. If we are grounded in our faith, then what we should do specifically will present itself.

The work of the Christian

"Direction 1. First, "Break off all false peace of conscience;"
"Direction 2. "Labour after a thorough work of conviction;" every conviction will not do it; the almost Christian hath his convictions as well as the true Christian, or else he had never gone so far; but they are not sound and right convictions, or else he had gone farther: God will have the soul truly sensible of the bitterness of sin, before it shall taste the sweetness of mercy. the plow of conviction must go deep, and make deep furrows in the heart, before God will sow the precious seed of grace, and comfort there, that so it may have depth of earth to grow in. This is the constant method of God; first to shew man his sin, then his Saviour; first his danger, then his redeemer; first his wound, then his cure; first his own vileness, then Christ's righteousness. We must be brought to cry out, "Unclean, unclean; to mourn for him who we have pierced," and then he sets open for us a "fountain to wash in for sin, and for uncleaness." That is notable place, Job xxxiii. 27,28, "He looked upon men, and if any say, I have sinned and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not; he will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light;" the sinner must see the unprofitableness of his unrighteousness, before he profit by Christ's righteousness. ..." Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

This work of being shown unclean in the sight of God is most notably done by the Law of God, by the Spirit of God. The Law is good, just, and holy and I think that you can know the Holy Spirit is working in your life if you find yourself agreeing with what the Law says about you. I had a discussion with my wife last night, and she told me things that made me feel angry, mad, and sad. It initially was an argument but it turned out a listening session for me. If I didn't know that she was telling the truth, then I would have dismissed it out right, but I knew what she was telling me was the truth, and it made me look bad. It was uncomfortable. This is no different then looking at the Law. The Law is a mirror that reflects who we are in truth. What we do after looking into the Law is all important. Do we justify ourselves? Do we look to Jesus? Do we acknowledge our sin and say, 'I will make up for it by doing what is right,' or do we go to the cross and trust in the payment for our sin? The point Matthew Mead is making is God shows us who we are and how grievous our sin is before applying the blood of Jesus. If you shortcut the conviction, then you undermine the Gospel, and your faith will be weak at best, or false at worse.

- Davies

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning,

Matthew Mead gives us a few pointers when laboring after a thorough of conviction.

The work of the Christian

"Direction 1. First, "Break off all false peace of conscience;"
"Direction 2. "Labour after a thorough work of conviction;"

"First. "Be convinced of the evil of sin;" the filthy and heinous nature of it; this is the greatest evil in the world; it wrongs God, it wounds Christ, it grieves the Holy Spirit, it ruineth a precious soul; all other evils are not to be named with this, My brethren, though to do sin is the worst work, yet to see sin is the best sight; for sin discovered in its vileness, makes Christ to be desired in his fulness.

But above all, labour to be convinced of the mischief of an unsound heart; what an abhorring it is to God, what certain ruin it brings upon the soul. O think often upon the hypocrite's hell." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

I can think of a lot of examples on how we short circuit conviction. How about entertainment? I'm sure we spend a lot of time looking for something that will make us feel good, watching tv, playing video games, reading the news. These activities are not sinful, but I know I've used them to distract me from my problems, and then it's rare that I actually address my serious issues. I would think when something isn't right, we should not rest until we know we are trusting in Jesus, whether it be forgiveness, or just simply trusting God in circumstances we don't understand.

- Davies

Good evening,

I believe, as you read the Bible, the Holy Spirit will work with your conscience to tell you when you are doing wrong, conviction of sin. So, I think it's vital that we learn not to bribe, or suppress or conscience with anything other than the blood of Jesus. You must be convicted of your sin, confess it to the Lord Jesus, and repent with a loving heart towards the Savior. This is called believing and trusting in the finished work of Jesus to justify you. You no longer try to bribe conscience by your good deeds, and you don't ignore your conscience and blow things off. Your love for God will lead you to obedience because you value the sacrifice of Jesus more than your comfort or desires.

"Thirdly, "Be convinced of the utter insufficiency and inability of any thing below Christ Jesus to minister relief to thy soul in this case:" all things besides Jesus Christ, are "physicians of no value;" duties, performances, prayers, tears, self-righteousness, avail nothing in this case; they make us like the troops of Tema, to return "ashamed at our disappointment," from such "failing brooks."--(Job vi. 19.)

Alas! it is an infinite righteousness that must satisfy for us, for it is an infinite God that is offended by us. If ever thy sin be pardoned, it is infinite mercy that must pardon it; if ever thou be reconciled to God, it is infinite merit must do it; if ever thy heart be changed, and thy state renewed, it is infinite power must effect it; and if ever thy soul escape hell, and be saved at last, it is infinite grace must save it." - Matthew Mead, The Almost Christian...

Can we ever say that we value the blood of Jesus rightly? I don't think so. So, there is always room for improvement when it comes to believing in Jesus and valuing what He did for us. This is what the Christian walk is all about. Our purpose in life is to glorify God, and enjoy Him forever.

- Davies

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back