Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Sheep who become lost.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The born again Christian can indeed become lost.

Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins. James 5:19-21

• he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death

Sheep who become lost is a foundational biblical principle, that needs to be discussed.

Sheep who become lost are as a sinner in need of repentance.

Sounds like physical death.

Sounds like physical death.

I see, so you believe the prodigal son physically died and physically came back to life?

Please share the scripture that leads you to believe this.

And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. 32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’”
Luke 15:31-32

• for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’”

From what I read, the prodigal son never died physically nor did the sheep who became lost.

JLB

Exactly alike.

Unbeliever who has never been = Lost
Sinner in need of repentance.

Sheep who have wandered from the truth = Lost. Sinner in need of repentance.

No difference.

JLB
So, how about the rest of my questions.....
Would they need to be born again 'again'? Would they need to be baptized again? Or if a person loses their salvation is it even possible to be saved/regain their salvation again?

Would they need to be born again 'again'? Would they need to be baptized again? Or if a person loses their salvation is it even possible to be saved/regain their salvation again?

Repent and return to God.

Are you saying a person needs to be baptized to be saved?

Are you saying a person needs to be baptized to be saved?
We are told to repent and be baptized; if losing your salvation is the same as never having it should that person not repent and be baptized again?
Losing our salvation should not be difficult even for believers. We all sin no matter how hard we try not to so we should all be losing our salvation on a regular basis.

We are told to repent and be baptized; if losing your salvation is the same as never having it should that person not repent and be baptized again?

That is up to the Holy Spirit and the person.

James 5 doesn’t mention that but I have heard of people rededicating their lives fed to the Lord and getting Baptized again.

Here is what James says.

19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.
James 5:19-20

• he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death

Turning back to God in repentance is the reoccurring theme in all the scriptures.

JLB

So by this would it be fair to say denying Jesus/not practicing faith would would cause loss of salvation?
So if practicing our faith excludes lying for example would that mean we lose our salvation for lying? Or would it take something more serious such as adultery or murder to lose our salvation?
We get ourselves all mixed up.
YOU posted all the circumstances under which we could be lost and now you're saying something else.

Lying does not cause loss of salvation.
Adultery does not cause loss of salvation, although it could be debated.
Murder does not cause loss.

Now, first of all, we'd have to clarify that if we have the spirit of God, we would not want to do these things. But IF we do, God is able to forgive us.
1 Corinthians 16:13 tells us to always be on the alert and to stand firm in our faith.
1 John 1:9 tells us that if we confess our sins, He will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The same things that saves us...faith
Will make us become lost ...........loss of faith.

For by grace we have been saved, through faith...
Ephesians 2:8

IF we think we have faith, but are living a LIFE OF SIN, then perhaps we do not have the faith in Jesus that we ought to have...
1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Losing our salvation should not be difficult even for believers. We all sin no matter how hard we try not to so we should all be losing our salvation on a regular basis.

I don’t really know what sin you have a problem with, and that’s between you and the Lord, however if you do sin, then come to God who loves you and confess your sin because He will forgive you as well as cleanse you of all unrighteousness.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

JLB

How many times have you lost and regained salvation

Lost salvation are your words.

I have wandered from God, and become lost several times.

I had to repent and turn back to him and learn each time what caused this wandering from the truth.

When we are around the wrong people, friends and family who are sinners, in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, we can easily fall back into living according to the flesh.

JLB

hello JLB, dirtfarmer here

If you have one sheep and it is lost, is it still a sheep or does it do a "quick change" when you find it from whatever it changed into when it became lost?
Hi Dirtfarmer, It grieves me of those who think they can lose THEIR salvation. The Holy Spirit is a permanent possession (Guaranteed) in which we are SEALED!!!) (Eph. 1:13-15). Many of the Scripture that people use to try to defend they can lose their salvation are meant for the SELF righteous and DECEIVED. How can a man that is Justified, sanctified, righteous in Jesus Christ, and Born of the Spirit, and, the promise of never loosing us out of his hands, lose his Salvation? (Romans 3:21-30) (Rom. 8: 14-39), Not my God and Savior Lord Jesus Christ. Now, there are those who hear the way and the knowledge of Salvation, and how to escaped the wrath to come, but instead, return to the mud like a pig or a dog to vomit. Theses Scriptures are clear that these people are not saved or never were, The word washes us, it is God who saves us in Jesus Christ. You can know the Truth, and not be saved. (2 Peter 2:15-22) (2 Peter 2:1-22). We were saved to be God's workmanship to the world, representing and conformed to the image of Christ to do good works...so there is nothing to boast about, (Rom. 3:26-30) nor are the works akin to keep our salvation (Eph. 2:4-10). The word is Spiritual, not carnal. Too many read the book by the flesh.

In His eternal mercy for me, you and all who have trusted in Christ, and His promise to keep us. I know no other way of Salvation, nor have I ever been abandoned by the Holy Spirit, But I have as a babe surely grieved and hindered Him many times, but he never ever left me.

In God's Eternal Grace
Douglas Summers

That is up to the Holy Spirit and the person.
But if losing salvation is the same as never having it would that person still have the HS?......and if they did would that not indicate that they were still saved?
We get ourselves all mixed up.
YOU posted all the circumstances under which we could be lost and now you're saying something else.
Those were just examples, nothing more.
Lying does not cause loss of salvation.
Adultery does not cause loss of salvation, although it could be debated.
Murder does not cause loss.
I agree with you, except for the 'debated' part.....
Now, first of all, we'd have to clarify that if we have the spirit of God, we would not want to do these things. But IF we do, God is able to forgive us.
Again, I agree but the discussion is on can/how we lose salvation. I don't believe we can as long as we were saved in the first place.

Prodigal son???? I don't see how it fits in.

Why haven't you provided scripture that suggest the verse means you can lose eternal life. How you get snatched.

This thread is about sheep who become lost.

Lost = Sinner who is need of repentance; dead to God, in need of salvation, reconciliation to God.

Found = Someone is is reconciled to God; saved.

If you want to discuss eternal life and being snatched, please start a thread about that subject.

JLB

I had to repent and turn back to him and learn each time what caused this wandering from the truth.

When we are around the wrong people, friends and family who are sinners, in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, we can easily fall back into living according to the flesh.
Did you lose your salvation when you did this and have to start all over again? Or did you simply have to repent of your waywardness?

Hi Dirtfarmer, It grieves me of those who think they can lose THEIR salvation. The Holy Spirit is a permanent possession (Guaranteed) in which we are SEALED!!!) (Eph. 1:13-15). Many of the Scripture that people use to try to defend they can lose their salvation are meant for the SELF righteous and DECEIVED. How can a man that is Justified, sanctified, righteous in Jesus Christ, and Born of the Spirit, and, the promise of never loosing us out of his hands, lose his Salvation? (Romans 3:21-30) (Rom. 8: 14-39), Not my God and Savior Lord Jesus Christ. Now, there are those who hear the way and the knowledge of Salvation, and how to escaped the wrath to come, but instead, return to the mud like a pig or a dog to vomit. Theses Scriptures are clear that these people are not saved or never were, The word washes us, it is God who saves us in Jesus Christ. You can know the Truth, and not be saved. (2 Peter 2:15-22) (2 Peter 2:1-22). We were saved to be God's workmanship to the world, representing and conformed to the image of Christ to do good works...so there is nothing to boast about, (Rom. 3:26-30) nor are the works akin to keep our salvation (Eph. 2:4-10). The word is Spiritual, not carnal. Too many read the book by the flesh.

In His eternal mercy for me, you and all who have trusted in Christ, and His promise to keep us. I know no other way of Salvation, nor have I ever been abandoned by the Holy Spirit, But I have as a babe surely grieved and hindered Him many times, but he never ever left me.

In God's Eternal Grace
Douglas Summers

Do you have a scripture that refers to loss of salvation?

JLB

I can understand that...At times I have drifted. But never lost my salvation..because you can't.

According to the way some use Hebrews...if you lose salvation..you can't get it back. It's all over.

Did you lose your salvation when you did this and have to start all over again? Or did you simply have to repent of your waywardness?

I repented and returned to God, just like the prodigal son did who was lost: dead as was alive again.

By saying again, the scripture is indicating that he was alive at one time then was dead, and them became alive again.

It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’” Luke 15:32

JLB

I can understand that...At times I have drifted. But never lost my salvation..because you can't.

According to the way some use Hebrews...if you lose salvation..you can't get it back. It's all over.

It is all over based on the context of Hebrews 6, whose context begins in Hebrews 3, and is about Jews who return to Judaism, after being born again and Spirit filled.

They no longer have any sacrifice for sin.

That is a different context altogether.

Same thing Jesus taught in Luke 8:13

JLB

Back