Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should couples live together before marriage?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
So the main issue it seems is that there is a high temptation to sin when living together. I can completely understand why a lot of christians see it as not the best decision. I'm with them on this one. It does have a high temptation.

I do have to point out though, that where do we draw limits to what we can and can not do? Here are some examples.

A Football game - Alcohol is sold there, fans can possibly lose control when their team isn't doing well, thus possibly resulting in drunkness and profanity, especially with the lords name in vain. It irritates me how much my family members spew profanity while they are watching the game.

The Beach - Most beach wear isn't modest, thus there is a high temptation to lust at a beach.

A Secular Rock concert - Personally, I do not see much reason for a christian to attend a rock concert of secular nature. I was at Rock Fest this summer, and it was one of the most disgusting things I've been to. I remember seeing bras being scattered all over, young women flashing other people, and a drunk passed out guy as I was leaving the place. Drugs, Alcohol, and possibly Sex can be seen at rock concerts, thus creating these temptations.

Video Games - Video games can cause players to lose self-control. This can happen when gamers can no longer put the controller down. This can also happen when players keep on spewing profanity while playing. [My Roommate is doing this right now. If anyone sees this, could I get some advice? I try to talk to him, but I always get yelled at.] Definately temptation exists here.

College Campus - I'm sure you know all the temptations at College.

The Highway- Tempation of speeding and anger. Very high temptation here.

So, where do we draw the line for temptation? It exists almost everywhere we go.

Sparrowhawke said:
Let me ask, "Should Christians have to prove to others that they have not sinned?"

Sparrowhawke, you have mentioned this twice so I will explain why I said that. I was answering this post...

Twisted Hawk said:
Well said. Christian couples, if you are able to do this, live together without having sex, then you will have a GREAT influence on the world. There is absolutely nothing wrong with living together. If you don't think you can avoid the temptation though, stay away from it.

He suggested that it would be a great witness to the world if Christian couples were able to live together without having sex. The only way that would be so was if it could be proved...otherwise no one would believe them and so there would not be a witness.

No, we don't have to go around proving to people that we are not sinning, and that is not what I have suggested. But when we expect our behaviour to be a witness for Christ then we had better make sure that it is legitimate. There are enough complaints of hypocrisy among Christians from the rest of the world without us adding to it purposefully, wouldn't you say? The act of living together may not be sinful in itself when no sex is involved. But when that behaviour damages your witness to others then it becomes sinful. I would also agree with the scriptures that have already been posted by Timothy and Bonnie that to put oneself in a position of temptation purposefully is wrong.

ruby917 said:
Yes, but God does give us permission to judge within the body of Christ. Paul wrote to the Corinthians, when dealing with sexual immorality said "For what have I to do with judging those who are outside? Do you not judge thoe who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore, 'put away from yourselves the evil person.' (1 Corinthians 5:12-13)

I think if we get into a position where we don't judge anything, we can allow for anything.

Not trying to veer off topic, so I will try to keep this within the subject. If I knew of a brother or sister who was living with their girlfriend/boyfriend, I would feel compelled to pull them aside and confront them in a loving manner. Whether or not they were sleeping together, it does not reflect well for the body of Christ, and we all (Christians) have a responsibility to one another to strengthen, encourage and exhort one another.
I ask this question: What possible edification could come with living with your ____friend? I noticed that even those who argued in defense of this admitted that they wouldn't actually do it. So why not? I dare to say that deep down, we all know it is wrong. What in God's character would say otherwise?

Well put Ruby, I agree. :thumb

caromurp said:
Sparrowhawke, you have mentioned this twice...
I really should apologize for having quoted you as if your statements somehow summarized what I was speaking against. I am sure that you will agree that it as much a sin to be a busybody as it is to be a fornicator. All I'm saying is that, to our shame, the message is still needed: clean the inside of the cup first (and don't neglect the outside). God searches hearts not appearances. We can't really stop sinning (of our own power) in any case. It is only by the Spirit that we are able to follow Christ.

Those who put on badges of self-righteousness and lie to themselves may consider that they have done "great things". It is these who join Cain to slay their brother.

~Sparrow

<Again, this is not spoken to those who are following the admonition to exhort, admonish or even rebuke when needed and led by the Spirit.>

We Christians are duly warned against this sin over and agin in scripture...

Acts 21:25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

We see this sin fornication is especially warned against for belivers. :thumb

1 Corinthains 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

We are told to RUN from it~ because it harms our own body... STD's

1 Corinthians 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

We are exhorted to get married to aviod this sin!

1 corinthains 10:8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

These twenty-three thousand were killed by their own congregation... and then those who "cleansed Israel" from their influence were exonerated to positions of authority.

Ephesians 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

A "good name" before this world of darkness is what God is commanding His own to have.

Let it NOT be named ~ among us. :shame

sheshisown~

Sparrowhawke said:
caromurp said:
Sparrowhawke, you have mentioned this twice...
I really should apologize for having quoted you as if your statements somehow summarized what I was speaking against. I am sure that you will agree that it as much a sin to be a busybody as it is to be a fornicator. All I'm saying is that, to our shame, the message is still needed: clean the inside of the cup first (and don't neglect the outside). God searches hearts not appearances. We can't really stop sinning (of our own power) in any case. It is only by the Spirit that we are able to follow Christ.

Those who put on badges of self-righteousness and lie to themselves may consider that they have done "great things". It is these who join Cain to slay their brother.

~Sparrow

<Again, this is not spoken to those who are following the admonition to exhort, admonish or even rebuke when needed and led by the Spirit.>

It's quite alright, no hurt done :nod

And I agree with you here. We cannot stop sinning completely, and so we should focus on the condition of our hearts. God does not require sacrifices, but a broken and contrite heart he accepts (Ps 51, my paraphrase). But let us never lead ourselves into positions where we may sin intentionally.

Back