Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should I Tithe Or Pay My Bills?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I don't know if this is "right", but what I started doing to address the tithing situation. I have bills to pay, like many people. I also want to tithe, but currently cannot always do both concurrently. So what I do is to keep a running tally of a 10% subaccount. Any month I can't handle a realtime payment, I pay into this virtual tithe, which I sincerely plan to eventually pay down. I suppose this prompts the question, "Can you pay God on credit?" And is an interest rate expected? Not sure what people would think about this.

I dont tithe because im not putting myself and living in bondage under the Law. If I thought I had to give a tithe I would not have a clean conscience. Every week making sure I got the tithe, dont want to forget it, just like the hyoocrites who gave food tithe just to tick it off there `to do' list.

Last edited:
If you give up all your wants, God will replace it with your hearts desire. It's kinda like reverse currency and it is a incorruptible system. Then you can pay other people with it so they will do the same.

"Kinda how it always was, hey Chris."

Yep.

I don't know if this is "right", but what I started doing to address the tithing situation. I have bills to pay, like many people. I also want to tithe, but currently cannot always do both concurrently. So what I do is to keep a running tally of a 10% subaccount. Any month I can't handle a realtime payment, I pay into this virtual tithe, which I sincerely plan to eventually pay down. I suppose this prompts the question, "Can you pay God on credit?" And is an interest rate expected? Not sure what people would think about this.
Keven,
It sounds to me as though God has your heart and demanding anything more is legalism and thus the sin of pride and maybe lusting, just as bad a lusting as gambling is.

Hi KevinK

I admire you wanting to tithe but I have to admit I would question your focus. The reason I say that is because I'm guilty at times when I don't give, I say to myself I will add it to my next giving. Truth is it doesn't really happen that way. Then what we do is build up a debt that we feel we owe to God, then we think more about money coming in to meet our debt. We feel we need to appease God and to put it bluntly we feel we need to buy God's favour. When we can't buy God's favour what happens? We start to feel condemned, this then affects our relationship with him. We shy away from God. I think this hurts God more than not giving. Remember there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

Yes we owe God a debt, but he released us from that debt when Jesus died on the cross then rose again. When we placed our faith in him God credited our account and that debt was paid in full. No condemnation for those in Christ.

As for you comment about an interest rate, I think the only thing he wants regarding interest is for us to be continually be interested in him. As you do that he will add more to your account and that doesn't mean just money.

Giving is not to earn God's favour you couldn't buy it but we give because of God's favour.

I buy beggars on the street a coffee and food, it's not 10% but God gives me credit. Why? One day I will stand before God and he will say to me "When I was hungry you fed me"

I'm sure he will not say "Now let's talk about the times you did not give, so let's look at Feb 2016, you met your bills but did not tithe, oh dear that's not good is it? then you tried to buy me off, actually that's quite insulting, all I ever asked was for you to believe in me, trust in me, I promised to meet your needs, give you enough to pay your bills.

Be thankful that God has given you enough to meet your bills and if he gives you a bit more finance over your bills give it back and say thanks and ask him how he wants you to use it.

Hope the above makes sense.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Fortunately I am very financially-disciplined (although I now work as an engineer, I gave financial advice for over 10 years and currently run my own business). At least twice I have borrowed from friends/family (I have serious health problems) and paid back every cent in full (one of those times it was a 5-figure amount). I've heard those horror stories about lending to family/friend only to never hear from them again; I'm not one of those.

I don't just "tell" myself I'll pay more next time; I actually calc the amount and M+ it to the subaccount. I could even add an APR if needed.

Believing one must pay tithe is puting themselves under conviction of the Law and rejecting the cross. Its focusing more on making sure you are pleasing God in works than accepting Jesus work. I think giving is good, but a MUST tithe or must give or feel guilty rejects Christs work. All debts are paid and all food is clean.

Last edited:
Believing one must pay tithe is puting themselves under conviction of the Law and rejecting the cross. Its focusing more on making sure you are pleasing God in works than accepting Jesus work. I think giving is good, but a MUST tithe or must give or feel guilty rejects Christs work. All debts are paid and all food is clean.
Our Lord Jesus Christ says we should tithe. This was in the New Testament! Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42
Our Lord Jesus Christ preached the (Gospel) Kingdom of Heaven, which included the Covenant of Grace (John 1:17) (Matthew 11:11-14; Luke 16:16, Mark 1:14-15, Matthew 4:17, Luke 4:18-19). Our Lord Jesus Christ stated The law and the prophets were until John. John ministered under the Law, but was the last Prophet of that era.

Knock off the unChristian comments.

The scripture is correct. 2 Timothy 4:3 NLT

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Lord Jesus Christ says we should tithe. This was in the New Testament! Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42
Our Lord Jesus Christ preached the (Gospel) Kingdom of Heaven, which included the Covenant of Grace (Matthew 11:11-14; Luke 16:16, Mark 1:14-15, Matthew 4:17, Luke 4:18-19). Our Lord Jesus Christ stated The law and the prophets were until John.

No Jesus did not tell anyone to tithe, he was calling those certain tithers at that moment in time in scripture hypocrates, and there is a difference between grace giving and tithe.

Knowhere did Jesus or the Apostles tell anyone to tithe, they explain grace giving.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Jesus did not tell anyone to tithe, he was calling those certain tithers at that moment in time in scripture hypocrates, and there is a difference between grace giving and tithe.

Knowhere did Jesus or the Apostles tell anyone to tithe, they preached grace giving.
Post the scripture that states this. Jesus clearly states, "these ought ye to have done." Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness.

Last edited:
Post cross tithing is not mandatory, however, if you choose to tithe, the Lord will indeed open His storehouse of blessings upon your life, thereby honoring His original (OT) promise about tithing because the Lord does not change.

Tithing was originally about food, yes. In those days food was pretty much used as a currency & commerce. Nowadays though money is needed for most everything so to me, it's a reasonable approach to tithe financially, and to consider 'first fruits' to mean gross.

It's understandable that a lot of folks are hesitant to tithe or give offerings to the church at collections based on suspicion of potential misuse of the funds. To these, I say two things to consider...
That's between them and God, if they misuse church funds. Give anyway and don't not do the right thing based on what someone else may or may not do.
If you won't give to the church, then at least help the poor on the street, and give them your tithe/offering.

Last edited:

I would not want to run a deficit balance with God.

"Oh God, please let me win the lottery so I can pay you!"

Uh, no.

We are slaves in this world to money and that is because we labor in the flesh to survive.

God did not come here to take money or "test" us with it nor is God in "need" of cash, the last I heard anyway.

Post cross tithing is not mandatory, however, if you choose to tithe, the Lord will indeed open His storehouse of blessings upon your life, thereby honoring His original (OT) promise about tithing because the Lord does not change.

Nor is God A Divine Ponzi Scheme where we put in $10 and get $100 back. That is just ridiculous.

Tithing was originally about food, yes. In those days food was pretty much used as a currency & commerce. Nowadays though money is needed for most everything so to me, it's a reasonable approach to tithe financially, and to consider 'first fruits' to mean gross.

It's understandable that a lot of folks are hesitant to tithe or give offerings to the church at collections based on suspicion of potential misuse of the funds. To these, I say two things to consider...
That's between them and God, if they misuse church funds. Give anyway and don't not do the right thing based on what someone else may or may not do.
If you won't give to the church, then at least help the poor on the street, and give them your tithe/offering.

I personally could care less if the preacher gets his new jet or the fuel to run it or the mansion to hang out in or the art collection, all to prove that God is paying off for himself/herself. They can starve for all I care.

There is a "present tense" reward for giving to the poor. It does make us feel good to share with those in need, and the reward is had in the moment. And God does not OWE us when we do so. We do not make God indebted to us by giving.

Anyone who has shared of their bounty has already had their reward. And they KNOW it feels good to our hearts when we do so and those who know this will do more because of that.

Knowhere did Jesus or the Apostles tell anyone to tithe, they explain grace giving.

If I for a moment thought that God in Christ was all about the moolah I'd just follow Donald Trump instead.

Nor is God A Divine Ponzi Scheme where we put in $10 and get $100 back. That is just ridiculous.

I personally could care less if the preacher gets his new jet or the fuel to run it or the mansion to hang out in or the art collection, all to prove that God is paying off for himself/herself. They can starve for all I care.

There is a "present tense" reward for giving to the poor. It does make us feel good to share with those in need, and the reward is had in the moment. And God does not OWE us when we do so. We do not make God indebted to us by giving.

Anyone who has shared of their bounty has already had their reward. And they KNOW it feels good to our hearts when we do so and those who know this will do more because of that.

Wow, you sound very bitter & hard hearted brother.
Perhaps Romans 14 holds no meaning to you?

Wow, you sound very bitter & hard hearted brother.
Perhaps Romans 14 holds no meaning to you?

Sit under enough phony charismatic money grubbing preachers and after awhile you come out from under the lies.

Does that sound bitter and hard hearted to you, or honest?

People who hear bitter and hard hearted are probably still forking their money over to some preacher who preaches the tithe, that's all.

I'm all for giving to the poor. But I don't think God OWES me for doing so, no. Nor do I think there is a Divine Ponzi Scheme in play for me when doing so.

Jesus Christ is not the High Priest after the order of Levi. He is forever the High Priest after Melchizedek. The bible says in Hebrews 5 NKJV, that the teaching and understanding about Melchizedek is only for mature Christians who have gone beyond milk. It warns that those on milk will have dull ears to hear. It says they need someone to teach them again the first principles of the oracles of God.

Those who understand [these mysteries] will be given [more knowledge], and they will excel [in understanding them]. However, some people don't understand [these mysteries]. Even what they understand will be taken away from them. Matthew 13:12 GWT

Our Lord Jesus Christ preached the (Gospel) Kingdom of Heaven, which included the Covenant of Grace (John 1:17) (Matthew 11:11-14; Luke 16:16, Mark 1:14-15, Matthew 4:17, Luke 4:18-19). Our Lord Jesus Christ stated The law and the prophets were until John. John ministered under the Law, but was the last Prophet of that era.

Open your bible. And read it.

If you choose to tithe under the Law and do it with thanks to the Lord and I choose not to tithe as under the Law and give thanks to the Lord, we are not to judge each other. For our Master is one and the same Lord and He accepts us both and will cause both of us to stand. Romans 14:3-6

Hi smaller,

I agree and disagree with your Ponzi thoughts. I was taught and beleived that if I gave then God would give me more back. Alas I came to believe that if I was given more back then I just add it to my bank balance or as I was told the severe debt I had God would clear but that never happened, in fact it got worse when I tithed 10% off my gross salary. I came to the conclusion that what I was taught was not true.

When I changed my focus and started to ask God to help me pay my debts things started to change. Debts now paid off and I now have free cash to help others.

When I say I disagree with your Ponzi thoughts I do believe if we give the poor and needy then God will give more back but that is not to add to my bank balance. My wife and I do help the poor and needy, in the church and outside the church. We do pray about it, and most times in terms of the amount to give without asking but praying God has given us the same figure. So we give and our experience is that when we give without expecting back we get more back (not all the time) but when we get more back we use it to help someone or a ministry.

Recently we decided on an amount to give, I got a bit worried about the amount we agreed. Two days later someone who we gave money to about 3 years ago (and said to them it's a gift and does not need to be repaid) we want to pay you back here is the money. It covered what we agreed to give with £50 left over. So I thought God what should I do with the £50. He said "Have a takeaway on me, so we bought a Chinese meal'

I do give money to my church by direct debit. We are a charismatic church but I must say our preachers are not money grabbing. We have a trustee board that determine the finances of the church and who is paid what and how the finances are to be used. In fact I know that the preachers we have and other workers in the church who are paid a pittance of what they could earn in their secular job, my wife being one of them.

I do agree that when we give now whilst here on earth we get a reward of helping others. We have done what God has asked us to do. Feed the hungry help the poor, but our reward will be in Heaven when God says my good and faithful servant.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back