Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study should women wear head covering and men wear beards ? proof?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
YHWH did not command His people to not shave their legs. Brushing one's teeth is a matter of cleanliness.
I know a person who grew up on a farm in Italy and ate only clean organic food for the first 18 years of her life.
She never brushed her teeth and she never had a cavity.
It was only when she came to America and ate garbage food did she have to brush her teeth.
And yes, then she got cavities.
I guess this is just another social issue.

YHWH did not command His people to use computers. Or to drive a car... Did He command the wearing of cotton.... He did not command the use of electricity ...

Nor did He say we couldn't use those things. If He said, "Do not drive a car", then that settles the issue, but He didn't say that. He did, however, say don't destroy your beard.

I have not read God commanded His people to shave their legs....

Correct. So since He didn't say to shave them or not to shave them, He left the choice to us. He did not give men that choice concerning beards.

can you say me it ? it says women should cover in 1 corinthians 11

what about beards? can you say me it.......

im trying to figure a way to be the most holy and pure.

certainly there is flaw in this theory that men should wear beards . and women should wear head coverings".

but then again the prophet john paul jackson .... god gave him this name.,

so the teachings of paul is true`?

but what about the beards ?

give me some clues hints and facts.

my opinion is that women should not cover them self.
men should not wear beards.

but prophet tb joshua does not have beard?

okay answer me......

where does it says you shall wear beard?

i think we shall be natural polished pure beauty.

Hi Saintman,

While Paul does tell us that the woman should cover her head, I am not aware of any command to wear a beard. The man is to keep his head uncovered.

YHWH did not command His people to use computers. Or to drive a car... Did He command the wearing of cotton.... He did not command the use of electricity ... I have not read God commanded His people to shave their legs....
Yes, shaving one's legs can be called vanity, but is it any different then coloring one's hair or wearing makeup?
Where do we draw the line?

One has to understand what was happening in Corinth to properly regard head coverings for women. Certain cultist women were coming to the faith from Delphi. They had their heads shaved according to the rules of that cult. The Apostle Paul taught that these women had to have their heads covered since the were bald until their hair grew to an approved length. (longer than a mans). After that, long hair on a woman is the rule, no more head covering is necessary....Probably Deborah13 can tell you about the Oracle of Delphi.

Beards are simply a cultural thing. In history, clean shaved faces were the norm while at other times beards were "in". In the Old Covenant (OT) men with beards had to hold to certain rules like not shaving the corners, or making cultist marks.

I have to disagree with you here chopper. It seems to me that Paul's appeal is not to culture but rather God's created order.

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. (1Co 11:1 KJV)

He concludes,

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. (1Co 11:1 KJV

The covering is showing that the woman is acknowledging God's order.

I have to disagree with you here chopper. It seems to me that Paul's appeal is not to culture but rather God's created order.

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. (1Co 11:1 KJV)

He concludes,

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. (1Co 11:1 KJV

He concludes,

I agree.

Probably Deborah13 can tell you about the Oracle of Delphi.
I didn't remember anything about the Oracle of Delphi, had to look it up. :)
I do remember reading about temple prostitutes of some cults shaving their heads.

I also remember that in Ephesus, there was a main temple to Diana. There men who wanted to serve in the temple had to be de-masculated and wear women's clothing. I believe we were talking about women 'usurping authority.'

I heard a Baptist pastor tell a new believer that he would want to shave off his beard when he was more mature. This man had a short, nicely trimmed and kept beard. The man said but Jesus had a beard. The pastor actually said, no He didn't. Yike!
Isa 50:6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

He concludes,

Yep,
But it also says, there is neither male nor female,, ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal.3:28

Her head should also be covered with Christ.

I didn't remember anything about the Oracle of Delphi, had to look it up. :)
I do remember reading about temple prostitutes of some cults shaving their heads.

I also remember that in Ephesus, there was a main temple to Diana. There men who wanted to serve in the temple had to be de-masculated and wear women's clothing. I believe we were talking about women 'usurping authority.'

Hi Deb
Funny, men didn't wear pants back then.

Hi Deb
Funny, men didn't wear pants back then.
I don't know what women wore for the temple service but it identified them as women and differently than the men dressed. It could have included hair, jewelry, etc. I know. It may have been the fabric used in the clothing. Oriental women often wearing fragile, thin, filmy garments rather than the tougher fabrics men worn. :shrug Whatever it was it was feminine.
Men in Rome, Greece, and Egypt often wore short skirts and short togas while women's were long.

http://www.israeljerusalem.com/temple-of-diana-ephesus.htm

One has to understand what was happening in Corinth to properly regard head coverings for women. Certain cultist women were coming to the faith from Delphi. They had their heads shaved according to the rules of that cult. The Apostle Paul taught that these women had to have their heads covered since the were bald until their hair grew to an approved length. (longer than a mans). After that, long hair on a woman is the rule, no more head covering is necessary....Probably Deborah13 can tell you about the Oracle of Delphi.

Beards are simply a cultural thing. In history, clean shaved faces were the norm while at other times beards were "in". In the Old Covenant (OT) men with beards had to hold to certain rules like not shaving the corners, or making cultist marks.
The head covering issue is one area I have done some in depth study on, including consulting theologians. My findings were exactly the same as yours. If a woman feels she needs to cover her head with a hat, scarf, or whatever to be "holy", that's up to her. But the scripture was about exactly what you said it was about and none of us have the right to judge a woman who realizes this and sees no need to cover her head.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back