Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Soul Sleep

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Actually, there is a spirit in man, but it is not an immortal soul. With the advent of computers, we have an excellent analogy to understand the human condition. A computer is a combination of hardware and software and storage (memory). The human body and brain is the hardware, the spirit in man is the software and the memory is the storage. A computer can do nothing without an operating system, and an operating system can do nothing without a computer to function through. It is also pretty useless without a way to store data. At death, the operating system (spirit in man) and memory return to God and the hardware goes into the ground and decays. The operating system and memory do not function without the hardware. The spirit in man and his memories do not function without the brain to work through. At the resurrection to life, the spirit and memory are put into a new and better body. What happens in between is that the spirit in man and memory do not function.

Conversion, the addition of the Holy Spirit, is an enhanced condition in that if the person continues to the point of death with the Holy Spirit, we would say that person is in a 'saved' condition, then that person will have eternal life at the resurrection (remember, that is the gift of God, not something inherent).

... We can call it the process of thought, which is the intellect of the mind, or soul. When one is brain dead, there is no electrical impulse within the brain, and mankind is considered dead, even though the physical body may still be pumping blood.

And do not forget that brain dead people do occasionally come back to life; not often, but it happens.

... the very inner man departs for this physical body, and returns to the Father. This decaying body will never be used again, ever.
I think you are both right and wrong for different reasons. In Ezekiel God says that the dry bones (with no flesh) were raised from the dead. Ezekiel 37:4-13; so even in the case of the corrupted body -- the bones can remain significant. The bible even speaks about this as an item of Faith; clearly seen in Abraham and Jacob.
For Abraham never received the promised land himself, while he walked the earth, but he still had his bones (and his wives bones) laid with him there. The same being true of Isaac and Rebekkah; but when it comes to Jacob -- his Idolatrous wife Rachel -- was not given that privilege, but died on a path to Bethlehem in childbirth; But -- Jacob and Leah were carried back to Abraham's tomb at their death.

Consider how important it was even to Joseph who had all of Egypt for a burial place if he had wanted it:

Exodus 13:19 And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you.

One of the worst curses that could be given to an enemy in those days, was to grind up their bones and burn them. The second worst was to not bury the body, but leave it in the open where dogs could lick up the blood -- ( and we know what dogs do to bones....! )

1Kings 21:23, 2Kings 9:10, etc.

And, I would agree that even these bones are not needed for God to raise someone from the dead; anymore than all the atoms that get flushed down the toilet during my life are what constitute my living body; for even if all the atoms of my body could be replaced by another atom of the same kind; It's still my body.

But, I think it wrong to say that the body itself is not of any re-use after death; for even if you deny the bones of those who have corrupted -- there was still a promise God made and spoken of in: Acts 2:27; and again in Acts 13:35; Psalm 16:3 (plural saints), Psalm 16:9,10
And even some miracles are associated with the bones alone, of someone holy: 2Kings 13:21

Those who God sanctifies fully (the truly faithful) do not suffer corruption in the Grave. ( Saint will differ from saint in Glory of Heaven ).

Just so:
It is the devil whom eats "dust" and destroys the body of man; but to those whom are faithful in all God's household; a special blessing *sometimes* is given: Elijah went up to heaven, and even Moses's body was considered important after it's death: Jude 1:9.

Historically speaking, embalming was never good enough to preserve a human body from rotting until recently; (less than 100 years of detailed bacteria knowledge)

Stalin wanted to preserve his body so much that he had teams of scientists work on the problem for years, and even so -- they've had to change the formula many times and do re-preservation in order to keep his body from deteriorating more.

A common person without resources couldn't hope to do that; and yet, some very old bodies of Christians who were not well buried in a sealed coffin, but placed in simple graves have been exhumed and the bodies found to be incorrupt. The skin as soft as if they had just fallen asleep. ( Incorruptibles ! ) I have only seen one of these myself, but it's beyond me how that could have happened over a 100 years ago.

When Paul says, "We are the body of Chirst" -- and God says "I will not allow my faithful one to see corruption"; I'm inclined to believe there is a very *REAL* tie in to the resurrection.

Consider: Lazarus was dead for four days; By the fourth day corruption HAS set (modern science says bacteria....) But the very fact that corruption is involved was a point Jesus went out of his way (waiting) to make sure had happened:

John 11:6, John 11:17, John 11:39 -- "SURELY by this time he STINKS!!!"

But Lazarus' resurrection (not a glorified body, even) is tied to Jesus' resurrection directly: For Jesus even corrects even Martha's naiive expectations about the resurrection from O.T. Prophecy.

John 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Note what he doesn't affirm; that the resurrection is merely something to happen in a far off time.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it." Then when? After the silver cord breaks, the mind is brain dead, and the body loses its life. Then shall the body "dust" return to the earth as it was, before it was formed into food, and entered your mouth as food to make your flesh body healthy.
That is true, but only so far as death reigns over the body; or that the body still dies:
"Unless a grain falls into the ground and dies, it remains a single grain.... but if it *dies* it will yield a rich harvest"
In the Garden of Eden, assuredly there was the kind of death that fertility or reproduction is: Genesis 1:12.
But there wasn't *corruption* of the body.

Food is formed into my body, and whatever forms it into my body (not the atoms/flesh itself) is what makes it a body; The power that allows me to chew, to digest, to re-shape food --- that's what a living body is.

When Paul talks about the mystery of our being the "body of Christ"; and says it is a deep one -- I can't help but agree; For you talk about Food, right? Notice that Jesus does too: "This is my flesh for the life of the world.";
And again, "It is the spirit that GIVES life".

And Paul says of the sanctified Christians, "You are the body of Christ!"; and again: If Christ is not raised from the dead, then *NEITHER ARE WE*.

Really!

Even in Jesus' resurrected and GLORIFIED body -- he broke bread, ate fish, denied he was a "Ghost"; (Mere spirit with no body.) and manipulated "atoms". (Lucky the fish that got to become God.... even if as a mere source of temporary atoms !)

The disciples misconception in Luke 24:37 -- is corrected by Jeus in Luke 24:39-41,42,43; and though not explicitly said, Jesus ate again in John 21:12. etc.

The spirit is the intellect of the soul, that gives the soul its identity. This is not complicated. When the body dies, and goes to the grave, the physical body will never have a use again,
For some, the atoms will never be used again -- for others, they in fact may be used again.

Also did not Moses and Elijah appear with Christ on the mount,if soul sleep were true,those two should have been sleeping,
I suggest you show the difference between a "vision" which is not tactile, and one which is;

Clearly, "visions" are not appearances of material objects; but messages of God sent to the eye as an image, or in sleep. If something *IS* a vision, then it isn't a physical thing -- if it's a physical thing (tactile) then it's not a vision.

Here scripture supplies the proof of the meaning of the word; for here a physical happening is *misunderstood* to be a vision.

Acts 12:9 And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.

However: In the case of the Moses and Elijah, we are told explicitly that they were a vision by Jesus himself.

And one more Revelation 6:9 "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:" These souls were killed for their stand in the Word of God. Who could that be? The saints of God, for their souls are now at [not under] the altar of God in heaven. Those souls have died and are with the Father in Heaven. Revelation 6:10 "And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord [Master], holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth." Are not these people those who have died,if so ,which I believe them to be,why are they not asleep?
Amen. I think your argument from Revelation is flawless.
I also don't know of any time that I sleep, where my mind is not still working -- the dreams are happening -- and I am alive. Even when someone says "Sleep" -- I immediately think, there misusing the word for something they can't possibly know for fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
About The Son of God

I suggest you show the difference between a "vision" which is not tactile, and one which is;

Clearly, "visions" are not appearances of material objects; but messages of God sent to the eye as an image, or in sleep. If something *IS* a vision, then it isn't a physical thing -- if it's a physical thing (tactile) then it's not a vision.

Here scripture supplies the proof of the meaning of the word; for here a physical happening is *misunderstood* to be a vision.

Matthew 17:3 "And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him."

Thanks for your feedback,however I don't feel Christ would be talking with a vision

About The Son of God

Matthew 17:3 "And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him."

Thanks for your feedback,however I don't feel Christ would be talking with a vision

Christ plainly declares this a vision...

Mat 17:9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Here is the vision Christ gave to John about the New Jerusalem...

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Now we know this is a vision, we can still go to the seashore and prove this has not occurred yet. Now read...

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

If you have a red letter Bible, these quotes are in red. We have God speaking in a vision, about a vision that was given to John.

Why would we not understand then that Christ spoke with Moses and Elijah in a vision?

I don't feel no one goes to hell at death,I believe that happens after the Great White Throne Judgement,Im one who takes the parable of the begar and the rich man,literally,so I believe that there really is a gulf that seperates us at death,while we wait on the judgement....

Hey there, I surely hope there is a paradise between death and judgment day. That would be awesome, wouldn't it. To know you're at peace with God after you die. We just won't know until we die, i guess. For now there's a job we must do while we're still alive. :)

p.s. do you have scripture about non soul sleep that agrees with you. blessings.

14 So he said to her, "What is his form?" And she said, "An old man is coming up, and he is covered with a mantle." And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed down. 15 Now Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do." 16 Then Samuel said: "Why then do you ask me, seeing the Lord has departed from you and has become your enemy? 1 Samuel 28:14-16

I guess Samuel didn't get the memo about soul sleep.

JLB

I don't feel no one goes to hell at death,I believe that happens after the Great White Throne Judgement,Im one who takes the parable of the begar and the rich man,literally,so I believe that there really is a gulf that seperates us at death,while we wait on the judgement....

Hey there, I surely hope there is a paradise between death and judgment day. That would be awesome, wouldn't it. To know you're at peace with God after you die. We just won't know until we die, i guess. For now there's a job we must do while we're still alive. :)

p.s. do you have scripture about non soul sleep that agrees with you. blessings.

14 So he said to her, "What is his form?" And she said, "An old man is coming up, and he is covered with a mantle." And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed down. 15 Now Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do." 16 Then Samuel said: "Why then do you ask me, seeing the Lord has departed from you and has become your enemy? 1 Samuel 28:14-16

I guess Samuel didn't get the memo about soul sleep.

JLB

Matthew Henry...

1 Samuel 28:15-19

We have here the conference between Saul and Satan. Saul came in disguise (1Sa_28:8), but Satan soon discovered him, 1Sa_28:12. Satan comes in disguise, in the disguise of Samuel's mantle, and Saul cannot discover him. Such is the disadvantage we labour under, in wrestling with the rulers of the darkness of this world, that they know us, while we are ignorant of their wiles and devices.
I. The spectre, or apparition, personating Samuel, asks why he is sent for (1Sa_28:15): Why hast thou disquieted me to bring me up? To us this discovers that it was an evil spirit that personated Samuel; for (as bishop Patrick observes) it is not in the power of witches to disturb the rest of good men and to bring them back into the world when they please; nor would the true Samuel have acknowledged such a power in magical arts: but to Saul this was a proper device of Satan's, to draw veneration from him, to possess him with an opinion of the power of divination, and so to rivet him in the devil's interests.

Dr. Bullinger...

1 Samuel 28:15

Samuel said: i.e. the spirit personating Samuel said. Just as it is done in the present day by the medium: never directly.

disquieted. If Samuel, then it shows he was "quiet" before.

me. Not my spirit.

God. Hebrew. Elohim. App-4.

no more. Therefore certainly not by means which He had expressly forbidden. See Lev_19:31; Lev_20:6, Lev_20:27. Deu_18:10, Deu_18:13, &c.

by prophets. Saul omits the reference to "Urim" because it would remind him of the murder of the priests (1Sa_22:18, 1Sa_22:19). See note on 1Sa_28:6.

Let's look at the account, Saul seeks God's advice...

1Sa 28:6 And when Saul enquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

Saul had wandered so far from God that He would no longer speak to Saul.

1Sa 28:7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

So Saul goes to a medium, one who has a familiar spirit. What does God say about familiar spirits, mediums etc.?

Lev 19:31 Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.
Lev 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.
Lev 20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

And this list goes on and on. Now from the Bible chapter concerning the heroes of the faith...

Heb 11:32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

So God hates mediums, fortune tellers, those with familiar spirits (demons). God refuses to talk to Saul. Saul goes to a medium and she calls up righteous Samuel? Samuel does an end run around God's purpose and does something God hates? Nope, here is what really happened...

1Ki 22:20 And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.
1Ki 22:21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.
1Ki 22:22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

Same story, different king. I think Samuel really did get the memo. Saul was the one who did not get the memo...

Lev 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

Now what happened to Saul?

1Sa 31:1 Now the Philistines fought against Israel: and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain in mount Gilboa.
1Sa 31:2 And the Philistines followed hard upon Saul and upon his sons; and the Philistines slew Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, Saul's sons.
1Sa 31:3 And the battle went sore against Saul, and the archers hit him; and he was sore wounded of the archers.
1Sa 31:4 Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
1Sa 31:5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword, and died with him.
1Sa 31:6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armourbearer, and all his men, that same day together.

Hmmm, maybe Saul got the memo after all...

II Corinthians 5:7, 8 "(For we walk by faith, not by sight We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."
Paul's statement that he would rather be "absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord" works perfectly with the position that the redeemed sleep until the future resurrection. From Paul's perspective as a subject of experience, he will indeed experience an instant transition from the body to the Lord's presence, even if he factually rests in the grave for several thousand years. I see no reason to discount this "phenomenological" reading.

II Corinthians 5:7, 8 "(For we walk by faith, not by sight We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."
Paul's statement that he would rather be "absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord" works perfectly with the position that the redeemed sleep until the future resurrection. From Paul's perspective as a subject of experience, he will indeed experience an instant transition from the body to the Lord's presence, even if he factually rests in the grave for several thousand years. I see no reason to discount this "phenomenological" reading.

I would disagree ,I feel Paul knew that once he died,he would be with Christ,and this goes perfectly with the below verses

Ecclesiastes 12:6 "Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern."

The "cistern" is the clay flesh body that our soul lives in. The cistern is built to hold the water or life that is within the flesh body, but once that bowl is broken the water or life leaks out of it, just as water leaks out of this flesh body. The "silver cord" is what holds your soul and the spirit together with the flesh body.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it."

About The Son of God

Christ plainly declares this a vision...

Mat 17:9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Here is the vision Christ gave to John about the New Jerusalem...

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Now we know this is a vision, we can still go to the seashore and prove this has not occurred yet. Now read...

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

If you have a red letter Bible, these quotes are in red. We have God speaking in a vision, about a vision that was given to John.

Why would we not understand then that Christ spoke with Moses and Elijah in a vision?

I agree completly with that being a vision,however ,the fact remains,they were alive and are still this very day,else you would have Christ talking to dead people......

As for John,he was taken in spirit to the future,and yes the verse you quoted has yet to happen,however Christ speaking to Elijah and Moses did happene,and is not future...

The below verse happened as they watched,not some time in the future

Let's look at Mark

Mark 12:18 "Then come unto Him the Sadducees, which say there is no resurrection; and they asked Him, saying,"

This is also a good teaching. These Sadducees believe that there is no life after death: So everything that they are saying here is a lie to them anyhow.

Mark 12:19 " "Master, Moses wrote unto us, "If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.' "

This is exactly what Moses taught in Deuteronomy 25:5; "If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her."

Deuteronomy 25:6 "And it shall be, that the first born which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel."

Mark 12:20 "Now there were seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and dying left no seed."
Mark 12:21 "And the second took her, and died, neither left he any seed: and the third likewise."
Mark 12:22 "And the seven had her, and left no seed; last of all the woman died also."

All of these brothers were married to this same woman, yet none of them could have even one child by her for one reason or another. So here we have all the brothers and the woman dead. Remember that the Sadducees did not believe in life after death or in any resurrection, so this entire statement is a lie to them.

Mark 12:23 "In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, whose wife shall she be of them? for the seven had her to wife."

So sharpen up to what they are trying to do in trapping Jesus. They are bearing down on Jesus for something that they themselves don't believe. What they have stated was a trap, given for the sake of twisting His words.
In the first place, these people are biblical illiterate, or they would have known that to be absent from the flesh body is to be present with the Lord.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God Who gave it."
So to ask, "when" is an error on their part. It happens instantly.

Mark 12:24 "And Jesus answering said unto them, "Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?"

Jesus is telling them right to their face that even their questions are in error, because they are biblically illiterate. Jesus is telling them that you don't believe the Scriptures, nor do you believe in the power of God. You don't believe in God because you don't believe in life after death. The Sadducees were probably the most pathetic of all the people that confronted Jesus, for they placed human life on the same level as an animal. They are like many churches today, they like to form their own traditions and wander in their own make believe world.

Mark 12:25 "For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels are in heaven."

The reason that they will neither marry nor are given in marriage is because marriage in the flesh as we know it today is for the sake of having children, and when you die your soul steps out of their physical body and into their soul [spiritual] body. That soul body is as the angels have, and there are no children born in the angelic dimension for all souls are masculine. An angel is a soul living in a spiritual body, shedding the flesh and stepping into the new dimensional age. That deceased soul would have the same type of bodies that all will have in the Millennium age, after the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Mark 12:26 "And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, `I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' "

Jesus is saying here, "now lets talk about the dead for a moment." Jesus is reminding these Sadducees that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all dead, yet God has said, I am the God of these men, and if God were the God of these men at Moses time, than each of these three men would still have to be alive. To be a God over anybody they would have to be alive to have a God over them. The meaning to this is that nobody is dead yet, not even Satan and his evil spirits, and fallen angels. Sure Satan was condemned to death in the first earth age, however that sentence will not be carried out until after the Millennium age, and the great white throne judgment. Jesus is telling these men that they don't know what they are even talking about.

Mark 12:27 "He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err."

Any one that teaches that there loved one is out there in a hole in the ground, waiting for a rapture is just as these Sadducees, greatly in err. That is what the heathen believe and it is called "soul sleep". The other piece of traditional trash that is taught today, is that some day they will join back to their dead and decayed flesh body. Wake up pal, when the flesh body is dead it is gone forever, and it will have no more of value than a hand full of dirt.
Many times pastors deal with this, where remains are dug up and moved to another place, or have been in a state of decay for a long time. Do you know what is there? Nothing but dust, and that is what Solomon was telling you inEcclesiastes 12:7. God is the God of the living and He loves all of His children. All that flesh is, is dirt and that is why it states "dust to dust". Upon death the flesh returns to the elements that it is made of.
God loves His children in a far different way than the Sadducees believed, and that is why we will step into a new body at death. We will not be married to each other, but we will all become part of the bride of Christ, or at the appointed time after judgment you simply will not exist. Yes they err greatly in their minds and knowledge of God's Word.

II Corinthians 5:7, 8 "(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

http://www.theseason.org/mark/mark12.htm

Now Let's hear from Paul

I Thessalonians 4:13 "But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope."

After Paul told the Thessalonians to live right in the community, and search their souls for sin in their lives, they were then to repent of any sin. Paul moved next to what happens when death comes to this flesh body. This topic is important to Paul, for it is the stabilizing factor to the Christian life. It removes the fear that comes from the unknown of ones death. Paul gives this information for one reason, and that is, that we not be ignorant as the heathen are. In other words, Paul doesn't want Christians stupid.

This concern is over "them which are asleep". The concern is over the loved ones that have died and left them, and their decaying bodies are out there in their grave. Paul is saying for us not to be sorry about those Christians who are dead and gone, for that is the concern of the heathen. The heathen's fear comes from their ignorance of God's word, and His promises. The heathen have no hope, for they believe it's over at the burial.

I Thessalonians 4:14 "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."

If we believe, as a Christian, that Christ set the example for us; so that we will follow as He did, in dying, and rising again, then "to sleep" is to be dead from the flesh body. The Greek is a simple language, for it's structure allows one to be more precise. The subject in the frame of this verse is; "that ye not be ignorant as to where the dead are." If you're a Christian, you know and believe that Jesus Christ died, was buried, and on the third day arose and came out of the tomb. If you do not believe this, Paul classifies you as ignorant, and heathen [non-believer].

It was on the fortieth day that he ascended back to the Father. When Jesus ascended into heaven, all the souls went with him into heaven also, that had passed on, up to that point in time. The souls of some went to wait for that time of judgment, while others to the glory of God. Those that sleep [are dead] are not out there in a hole in the ground, but all Christians must believe that they arose to be with the Father, just like Christ did also. The dead are with God; all of them.

How can Christ bring people back with Him if they are not already there in heaven?The people he brings back are the same one's in Revelations

Revelation 6:10 "And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord [Master], holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth."

Revelation 6:11 "And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled."

These people are not dead!!!!

And the below verse should make it very clear as to what happens at death

Genesis 35:18 "And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called out his name Ben-oni: but his father called him Benjamin."

Her soul went back to the Father,not to sleep

I agree completly with that being a vision,however ,the fact remains,they were alive and are still this very day,else you would have Christ talking to dead people...

Once the resurrection happens, the saints in the Grave appear in Glory. In this case, I'm not sure whether we know they were glorified or not... but if they were in glory, then -- I would tend to think ( speculate ) it's the future.

EDIT: Upon more reflection, my previous speculation was silly. Jesus says "I am the resurrection."; Therefore: Whenever he would choose to talk to them would automatically glorify them.

Essentially, you're arguing that they were bodily dead, but alive to God. The vision, then, is a symbolic appearance to the Apostle's eyes of an event which could not actually be seen for lack of actual bodies for Elijah and Moses.

It's possible, I suppose....

... As for John,he was taken in spirit to the future,and yes the verse you quoted has yet to happen,however Christ speaking to Elijah and Moses did happene,and is not future... The below verse happened as they watched,not some time in the future Matthew 17:3 "And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him."
Visions do not always distinguish between past and future. That's the nature of apocalyptic literature.
I don't see how one can prove when the event as when Moses and Elijah would have recalled it happening ... would take place in history.

You are free to your opinion, but I don't see it as very convincing.

The argument you made concerning the Martyrs under the throne, however, has all the required elements:
They must be dead -- or they wouldn't be crying out "how long" until their vindication and glorification.
They must be alive to God, or they couldn't have a conversation at all.

Hence: Before resurrection, but after death - they are alive to God.
I think that alone is sufficient to prove your basic point -- the transfiguration isn't necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

John .... hmmmm ..... I never thought about it that much, but really....

The bible does say it was Samuel:
1Samu 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul ...

I believe the LXX Greek, for it's the oldest manuscripts we have; and always been in Christian hands...
So, I checked it very carefully for wording:

1Samuel 28:15 και [and] ειπεν [said] σαμουηλ [Samuel] ινα τι [why do] παρ-ηνωχλ-η-σας [you nag] μοι [to-me] αναβ-η-ναι [to-go-up] με [me]...

And Samuel said: "Why do you nag at me to go up?"

The word "to-go-up" also alludes to going to war on Saul's behalf; not necessarily to rise from the grave.
Matthew Henry's take is basically wasted ink. Samuel isn't admitting to anything -- he's just saying exactly what Saul has been doing, and asking why Saul is bothering!

When you brought this point up, though:

1Ki 22:22 And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

That got me thinking; if it is a lying spirit, it will lie... if not, it will tell the truth.
But I don't see that the spirit did lie.

What statement wasn't true?

1Samu 28:19 Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me

You yourself quoted the text where Saul and his sons died. The prophecy obviously came true; Israel was delivered into the power of the Philistines for a day and Saul and his sons died that very day.
1Samuel 31:7

It was certainly illegal, wrong, that Saul would attempt to use a familiar spirited woman.
Saul would certainly be punished for it....

But that doesn't automatically mean we can say that scripture is wrong when it says "Samuel said...".

God does using lying messengers when he so chooses; but I never have seen him dictate the lie.
God also has used fortune tellers, and sooth sayers, to tell the truth in the past -- although they deserved death: For example:

Numbe 22:8 And he said unto them, Lodge here this night, and I will bring you word again, as the LORD shall speak unto me: and the princes of Moab abode with Balaam.
Numbe 22:9 And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee?

But: For all the law's curses on Balaam, and his love of money, he was -- none the less -- a true prophet of God; whose mouth couldn't lie.

If Samuel had said "why did this woman force me to get up" -- I wouldn't hesitate to say the spirit lied; for she ought not have power over him. But, we're not given that luxury -- Samuel says, "why are you nagging me to go up?";

hmmm.... Saul is also not just "anybody". God swore promises to him on the day he was made King.
Saul was anointed by Samuel ... and Saul is therefore a Prophet with the Holy Spirit upon him, himself.

1Samu 9:16 To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain over my people Israel ...
1Samuel 10:10-13

And David's action testifies to how the power of God is in the *annointing* itself, not in the person's goodness or even after Saul was prophesied to eventually have the kingdom rent from himself.
1Samuel 24:6, 24:10, 26:9, 26:11, etc. etc.

So, when it is *Saul* who is doing the nagging; it's not impossible that Samuel answered -- a-priori.
If there's a definitive argument, I simply don't see it.
Matthew Henry's arguement, though, is very weak.

You cannot draw a conclusion on this matter based on one verse. You must examine the entire context in the Bible.

My Bible (New King James Version) teaches me that I will go to a peaceful state of sleep (rest) when I breath my last breath and wait for the Lord's return. The most amazing part of this sleep is that I will not know how much time has past! I will immediately wake up in the presence of the Lord.

I totally believe that the Lord created natural sleep for our bodies and soul so that we do not have to fear physical death. Who can tell how much time has passed when they wake up in the middle of the night and there is neither sun light or a clock to tell you the time? Even scientist have yet to fully understand WHY we sleep. They understand the benefits, but don't exactly understand it, sleep is yet still a mystery for them :)

And so we will sleep when our body dies, and then suddenly wake up to the sound of the Lord at his coming.

Anybody ever had surgery? Testify about it... I did, I had absolutely NO idea how much time passed by...

You cannot draw a conclusion on this matter based on one verse. You must examine the entire context in the Bible.

My Bible (New King James Version) teaches me that I will go to a peaceful state of sleep (rest) when I breath my last breath and wait for the Lord's return. The most amazing part of this sleep is that I will not know how much time has past! I will immediately wake up in the presence of the Lord.

I totally believe that the Lord created natural sleep for our bodies and soul so that we do not have to fear physical death. Who can tell how much time has passed when they wake up in the middle of the night and there is neither sun light or a clock to tell you the time? Even scientist have yet to fully understand WHY we sleep. They understand the benefits, but don't exactly understand it, sleep is yet still a mystery for them :)

And so we will sleep when our body dies, and then suddenly wake up to the sound of the Lord at his coming.

Anybody ever had surgery? Testify about it... I did, I had absolutely NO idea how much time passed by...

Exactly!

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

When does Christ raise them up?

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

When?

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

We receive our reward when?

Joh 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

As is stated in...

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

At His coming. Until then we sleep.

Many teach that at death we sleep until Christ returns,I don't believe from scripture this to be the case....

I agree. The body sleeps, but the soul and spirit live on with the Lord in heaven before judgment day.

Many teach that at death we sleep until Christ returns,I don't believe from scripture this to be the case....

I offer these verses from Mark as my evidence

Mark 12:26 "And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, `I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?' "

Jesus is saying here, "now lets talk about the dead for a moment." Jesus is reminding these Sadducees that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were all dead, yet God has said, I am the God of these men, and if God were the God of these men at Moses time, than each of these three men would still have to be alive. To be a God over anybody they would have to be alive to have a God over them. The meaning to this is that nobody is dead yet...

Mark 12:27 "He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err."
Any one that teaches that there loved one is out there in a hole in the ground, waiting for a rapture is just as these Sadducees, greatly in err. That is what the heathen believe and it is called "soul sleep". The other piece of traditional trash that is taught today, is that some day they will join back to their dead and decayed flesh body. Wake up pal, when the flesh body is dead it is gone forever, and it will have no more of value than a hand full of dirt.

Many times pastors deal with this, where remains are dug up and moved to another place, or have been in a state of decay for a long time. Do you know what is there? Nothing but dust, and that is what Solomon was telling you inEcclesiastes 12:7. God is the God of the living and He loves all of His children. All that flesh is, is dirt and that is why it states "dust to dust". Upon death the flesh returns to the elements that it is made of.

God loves His children in a far different way than the Sadducees believed, and that is why we will step into a new body at death. We will not be married to each other, but we will all become part of the bride of Christ, or at the appointed time after judgment you simply will not exist. Yes they err greatly in their minds and knowledge of God's Word.
II Corinthians 5:7, 8 "(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."

Excerpt taken from the below

http://www.theseason.org/mark/mark12.htm

Any thoughts???

Do you hold to Gnosticism?

John .... hmmmm ..... I never thought about it that much, but really....

The bible does say it was Samuel:
1Samu 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul ...

I believe the LXX Greek, for it's the oldest manuscripts we have; and always been in Christian hands...
So, I checked it very carefully for wording:

1Samuel 28:15 και [and] ειπεν [said] σαμουηλ [Samuel] ινα τι [why do] παρ-ηνωχλ-η-σας [you nag] μοι [to-me] αναβ-η-ναι [to-go-up] με [me]...

And Samuel said: "Why do you nag at me to go up?"

The word "to-go-up" also alludes to going to war on Saul's behalf; not necessarily to rise from the grave.
Matthew Henry's take is basically wasted ink. Samuel isn't admitting to anything -- he's just saying exactly what Saul has been doing, and asking why Saul is bothering!

When you brought this point up, though:

That got me thinking; if it is a lying spirit, it will lie... if not, it will tell the truth.
But I don't see that the spirit did lie.

What statement wasn't true?

1Samu 28:19 Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me

You yourself quoted the text where Saul and his sons died. The prophecy obviously came true; Israel was delivered into the power of the Philistines for a day and Saul and his sons died that very day.
1Samuel 31:7

It was certainly illegal, wrong, that Saul would attempt to use a familiar spirited woman.
Saul would certainly be punished for it....

But that doesn't automatically mean we can say that scripture is wrong when it says "Samuel said...".

God does using lying messengers when he so chooses; but I never have seen him dictate the lie.
God also has used fortune tellers, and sooth sayers, to tell the truth in the past -- although they deserved death: For example:

Numbe 22:8 And he said unto them, Lodge here this night, and I will bring you word again, as the LORD shall speak unto me: and the princes of Moab abode with Balaam.
Numbe 22:9 And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee?

But: For all the law's curses on Balaam, and his love of money, he was -- none the less -- a true prophet of God; whose mouth couldn't lie.

If Samuel had said "why did this woman force me to get up" -- I wouldn't hesitate to say the spirit lied; for she ought not have power over him. But, we're not given that luxury -- Samuel says, "why are you nagging me to go up?";

hmmm.... Saul is also not just "anybody". God swore promises to him on the day he was made King.
Saul was anointed by Samuel ... and Saul is therefore a Prophet with the Holy Spirit upon him, himself.

1Samu 9:16 To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain over my people Israel ...
1Samuel 10:10-13

And David's action testifies to how the power of God is in the *annointing* itself, not in the person's goodness or even after Saul was prophesied to eventually have the kingdom rent from himself.
1Samuel 24:6, 24:10, 26:9, 26:11, etc. etc.

So, when it is *Saul* who is doing the nagging; it's not impossible that Samuel answered -- a-priori.
If there's a definitive argument, I simply don't see it.
Matthew Henry's arguement, though, is very weak.

Have you considered that the Scripture is telling it from Saul's point of view? The Scriptures say Saul "perceived" that it was Samuel so the Scriptures continue to explain it from that point of view. I would argue that it was not Samuel that the woman saw because she said, "I see gods". The word "gods" with a small "g" is used of demons.

Luke 23:46 Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!”

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back