Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Submitting to a non-Christian husband

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Lovely,

My Dad was the primary child carer in my home; he is the primary chef; my Mum works full time (and did so even when my brother and I were young); my Mum is not submissive; my Dad is not the decision maker; both make decisions and cooperate well. They have been married for 25 years, and kiss eachother good bye before they go off to work each morning. In my eyes their marriage (like Nikki's) is a success. Do you believe their marriage is "wrong", or a failure, simply because it deviates from God's word (which is a perfectly acceptable answer)?

Rachel

Rachel,

Things in this world can be good, but that is not God's best necessarily. There are areas where we are gifted, but there are always areas where we fail. My dad was an atheist, and a single father, but I think there were areas that he excelled in as a parent, but other areas where he failed. However, if your parents are believers, then the Scripture should be what they pattern their life after. Scripture teaches that your mother should be submitting to your father. This is God's best. God's picture of Christ and His church is to be patterned by believers. And, if non-believers pattern this, there are natural blessings that will occur in their lives. As far as your parents marriage being a failure because it deviates from God's pattern, well because of sin we ALL deviate from God's pattern. We all fail in comparison to Christ's perfect standard. This is the only comparison that should be made.

I am pointing out, according to God's Word, what God's best is for His children. That is why I furnished the article, because I think it says it well. I believe we submit to God first, and then to our husbands. I made efforts to learn this, and apply it in my own life. My husband did the same with leading. It was a blessing to us then, and continues to bless me, and our children, now. It is not like my husband never did house work, or like I never helped in the yard, or on the home. I started from scratch learning to cook, sew, and keep our home. I did not learn these things from my father. But, when I was pregnant with all of my children, each time it was nine months of sickness, dehydration, and home meds. My husband kept our house spotless, took care of our children, and everything else he was already doing. On top of that, he carried buckets of vomit, bathed me, brushed my hair, cooked for me, etc. He had to use up vacation and sick leave to do these things. He served his family in a leadership capacity, but he also served us with a servants heart that was humble enough to do what needed to be done. He did his best to love, protect, and lead us, as Christ does His church. Not without failure, but always struggling to press on and do better.

The thing is, submission is what is always knocked today. This trend to reverse the roles is evident throughout our society. This coincides with the problems we have in marriages, and with our children, in today's society. As a Christian woman, I try to distinctly be feminine, and to be submissive to my own husband. I trusted my husband to lead us completely during the last four years or so of our marriage, by then God had grown me in such a way that my heart was completely given over to Him in this matter, and it completely belonged to my husband. His heart was very loving, and he was honored by my children, and myself a great deal. It was my pleasure to serve him, and our children, and I know it was his pleasure to serve us in leadership. He worked at an investment firm, then came home to work on our home. He led us in Bible study, trained the boys to work hard, had reading time with our children, spent some evenings helping single mothers in our church family, and then Sundays were for church and fellowship meal. My duties were mostly to keep our home, prepare meals, garden, sew, care for our children, home educate, care for my husband, help renovate our homes, etc, and I loved these things. We discussed everything, doing our best to respect and listen, we encouraged each other to trust in God, we filled in the gaps when needed because of sickness or other things, but the final decisions of our family rested in his capable hands, as did the responsibility. This we agreed was God's plan, and what was our vision for our family. But, guess what, we still failed to be completely true to God's pattern. You just trust God to teach, repent, and do better.

Now, I lead my home, and I emulate him in many areas, though other areas require me to be creative because I am doing it alone. And I fail a great deal. When I remarry it will be to someone who takes God's pattern seriously, and thinks that it is important enough to apply to our family. Someone who finds it a beautiful picture of Christ and His church, and does not succumb to the pressure of the world to conform to it's false teaching. I do believe that if we do not make efforts to do this, then we are wrong, and settling for less than God's best.

I appreciate your question, Rachel. God's Word is the standard for believers, and Christ is who we compare ourselves to. Blessings to you.

Lovely
(I apologize for the length of this post)

Lovely,

Thanks a lot for your response. Although I don't necessarily agree with you, I always love to learn new perspectives from those who know first hand.

My parents aren't Christians (my Mum is a lapsed Catholic and my Dad has always been an atheist, as his father was), so don't try to model their marriage as they believe God intends it to be.

I don't disagree with submission per se, as long as the wife (or husband, if he wishes to adopt the submissive role) is happy. If a woman, like you, wants to submit to her husband, and that's what works for you, then I have absolutely no problem with it. If, however, a wife does it simply because they want to please God, and they don't enjoy doing it, I feel upset and angry. I remember once reading through my Grandmother's old Bible when I was nine or ten, and seeing some of the verses concerning women. As I believed in God at that age, I felt hurt and disappointed. Why didn't God love me as much as boys? Why does God want boys to have all the fun? I know there are other little girls around the world feeling that, and it saddens me. A lot of them will grow up to accept a highly restrictive role of the submissive wife because they believe this is what they must do. It may not feel right, but it is right.

Having said that, your husband sounds like he was a wonderful husband, a wonderful father, and a wonderful man, and as such I'm not suprised you support the submissive role of wives. I'm sure you understand, however, that not all men are so responsible and loving.

Thanks again for your detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time out to give me your views.

Rachel

Rachel.

You are welcome. I didn't think we would agree, but it's nice that we are able to, at least, discuss.

Blessings to you :biggrin

I can speak from experience. I know what you're going through.

I am at the tail end of handing over the lead to my husband now. Jesus has given me the go-ahead to have faith in this regard. I came from a background of having no biological father around and a step dad which abused me. So naturally, I had trust issues. :wink:

What ended up happening is the Lord built me up to take the lead of my own walk. When I look back however; I realise that he was really leading and I was just following someone I learned to trust above anyone else.

Which is the crux of what made me change the control factors in my own marriage. I learned to trust again through the love and power of Christ to protect His bride. I wasn't just any woman married to any man. I was a bride to Christ and He wanted my marriage to be a success; in the way His father designed it to be.

Yet when you come from a background of mistrust; it is hard to see that.

I have been through many things in my marriage which reminded me of mistrust but the Lord was still there also reminding me that I was His bride. If I could not submit to my husband; I could sumbit my trust to Jesus. Now, as a result, my husband in a new Christian.

In the beginning I met a guy when we were both desperate and lonely; we lived with each other, got pregnant and then marriage. Not exactly a true romance in Christ. Once I started to crave my Christianity however and really became enamoured with Christ - the cracks in my union with my husband started to show. This filled me with such sorrow.

It started to eat away at me - at my faith, at my love for my husband. I didn't know what to do. Until some wonderful Christian friends of mine gave me some advice. They told me to trust Christ - to submit to him and let him lead my husband to be the kind of family head Christ would have him be.

See, when you ask something of Christ he gives it to you. If you are faithful in your actions and your thoughts and you really want to submit to your husband - then ask Christ to be your husband when your's falls from grace in the times that he does.

This got me through a heap of mistrust in my marriage. Christ lifted me up and said - I know you're better than this and I'll show your husband that you are. And do you know what Christ did? He used my faith, my heartbreak, my joy and my hope to show my husband that Christ was going to become his saviour as well. Now he is a Christian himself. Still a bit of a novice but the Lord knows he will make a great leader of our house when I'm prepared to fully submit.

The Lord still has areas on me to work on. I still am vulnerable in terms of complete trust. I have faith that the Lord will make me into a new creation though. One day (soon) my mistrust will be a thing of the past. Christ has proven himself time and time again that I can trust him even when the world lets me down.

My husband was part of that world once too; but because I had faith in Christ he created an inroad where the world didn't exist - through Him. We are both still learning but looking back from where we were; it's an achievement to the Lord that we are together today. I have no doubt in my mind that marriage is the Lord's creation and He knows how to mend a broken marriage - or an unequally yoked one.

Just keep believing in the husband that will take care of you always - Christ Jesus; and he will provide a husband worthy of your faith. I can talk from experience. It does happen. You have to be prepared however to have patience, perseverance, courage and most importantly - faith! You can also ask the Lord to build you up in these areas. Lord knows that is the only way I survived the transformation of my marriage.

God bless.

You know, I wonder if that could be the reason I can't do this. Our first year of marriage was horrible. I ended up getting involved in witchcraft and hanging with a bad group of people. I was also very young, immature and had never been on my own. I married at 18 and all of a sudden having to do things on my own was NOT easy. I had never even worked a washing machine before we got married! My parents never taught me any of that. I was a good kid, they just never instilled responsibility in me.

My hubby ended up telling me that he didn't love me anymore and kicked me out. It was horrible. I just wanted to die. How do you STOP loving someone just like that? No sooner did I move back home that I started dating someone else. The guy was a jerk and treated me like crap. Yet, I clung to him for fear of being alone.

Long story short, my hubby and I got back together and things have been great since the birth of our first daughter 7 years ago. We're both very happy and in love. I can't imagine life without him.

I do know though that after we got back together, I was a very "hard" person. I wasn't about to let a man treat me bad again! And I still feel that way. My hubby is real laid back and if we get in an argument, he usually won't argue back. He can easily let it go. Me...nope. I can't let it go. I think I have a fear of him kicking me out again or suddenly falling OUT of love with me. He reassures me all the time that he was stupid to have kicked me out and that he would never do that again and that he does love me, but I still have that tiny bit of doubt in my head.

Who knows. You just got me thinking.

I understand what you're saying Nikki.

I had a biological father I didn't trust; a step-father I didn't trust and so the pattern was set for ANY man I got into a relationship with that I wouldn't automatically trust.

The Lord saw my weakness and He helped me to overcome it.

The only way to do that was to teach me to trust again. I couldn't trust my husband fully because he was doing mortal stuff which was genuinely contributing to my trust issues.

At the end of my exhaustive struggle to trust where I couldn't; Christ said to trust in Him. He said not to look at my husband's flaws or else I will become disappointed. He told me not to look at my father's flaws or else I will lose hope; and finally he told me not to look at my flaws or else I will not believe I am worthy of love.

I had problems believing I was worth loving all because I grew up without a dad. I don't blame my dad for that; in fact we had a conversation just yesterday over the phone where he expressed a regret that what he knows now; didn't help his kids when they needed him back then. I told him not to cut himself short. He still has a long way to go and who knows when his children will need him next? Just because we're older it won't stop him from being our dad or the fact that we still need him in some regards.

I was able to tell that to my dad without any bitterness from the past because Christ turned over all the dead debrie which had covered my entire life, and allowed my seed to finally see daylight. I have given myself permission now to grow because Jesus has taken away the dead stuff; so I can strive for the light and finally breathe.

Mistrust, hurt, sorrow - these are all dead to Christ. He holds trust, joy and happiness in the palm of His hand and we just have to believe He wants us to have it no matter what we've been through in this life.

I thought I could never trust my husband again. I thought I could never love him so innocently again either. But that was the dead stuff trying to convince me that I was dead too. You are not dead inside your heart Nikki because your seed belongs to the Lord. He is preparing the ground so that your dead stuff will be turned into fertiliser to help you grow.

I have learned the hard way through the lessons of my life, that the only way we truly learn to love is through Jesus. When we see what He sees we're capable of - then we learn to have faith first in ourselves; then in others. Once you are comfortable believing that; then you are ready to love others as Jesus loved us.

I don't know WHY I still worry about him "falling out of love" with my. He says that he never fell out of love with me. He was just frustrated with our constant fighting, the people I was hanging out with and the whole witchcraft business. I made some stupid decisions in my life, but I have learned so much from them too.

I feel like we have an almost perfect marriage. Sure, we argue sometimes and there are things that we don't agree on, but we still love each other and have fun. I've always felt like we were more like best friends than husband and wife. That probably has to do with the fact that he WAS one of my best friends before we started dating! I used to call him big brother Steve-O. :lol: He was like a brother to me. When my boyfriend broke up with me, I asked Steve to take me to the prom. I'll never forget when he first kissed me. It was DISGUSTING! I felt like I was really kissing my brother! I was determined to make it work though and start looking at him more like a boyfriend instead of a "brother/friend". We've been doing remodeling and I ran across my old diary last week. We were dying laughing at some of the stuff I wrote about him! Then he found old cards and notes I wrote to him when I was in high school and those were just as funny. We were so goofy!

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic! :oops: Just taking a short stroll down memory lane!

Back