Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study SUICIDE

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Eugene

First of all, I believe not accepting Christ as your savior is the only sin not forgiven. Israel saw the miracles, heard the living water (the word of God) preached to them, and said that what was preached, and what they saw was of Beelzebub, Matthew 12:24; they didn't drink, and that was blasphemy. Needless to say they didn't accept Jesus as their Messiah, and will have eternity to regret it.

Below we see the history of King Saul's taking of his own life, and these things were given us as examples to show us what God does in our lives also.

1 Samuel chapter 28. Saul is at war with the Philistines and God will not answer his prayer. He seeks a witch at En-dor in verse 7 & 11 to bring up the now deceased Samuel from the dead to answer his questions since God will not. In verse 19 Samuel tells Saul that tomorrow he and his sons will be with him. (In Abraham's bosom.)

Samuel was deceased and was in Abraham's bosom described in Luke chapter 16 where he states Saul will join him. In Hebrews 11:32 we see Samuel described as one of the righteous of old, and so we must realize that Saul was also there also. Abraham's bosom was the resting place of the righteous dead, or also known as paradise in the center of the earth until Jesus died and took paradise to heaven. Now if we die as believers our spirit goes immediately to heaven to be with the Lord. The spirits of the unrighteous dead went to lower hell, and still do until the day of judgment.

Saul fell on his own sword to kill himself in 1 Chronicles 10:4. Then said Saul to his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. 5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise on the sword, and died. 6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and all his house died together.

Our salvation does not depend on what we do, but what God did and our accepting of the sacrifice He made for us. I've read many responses stating how certain things send us to hell, while others do not. One states that not repenting before we die condemns us, and some say that we can jump out of God's hand. If you haven't guessed, I believe in “Once Saved, Always Saved.” My faith is not based on "DO", but "DONE". Repentance or confession after we're saved brings us back into fellowship with God, and cleanses our conscience to continue our walk with Him. There are different rewards for us depending on what we allow God to accomplish in our lives, and greater punishment was promised those who committed certain sins such as murder, suicide, and homosexuality but they were not the worse; turning away from the message given such as those cities that didn't receive the disciples sent to them draws greater punishment than Sodom and Gomorra, and I imagine than all other sin.

Oh no some may say, king Saul disobeyed God and his kingdom was taken away and given to David. That is true, but here is what David said concerning Saul when after being pursued, then have opportunity to kill him; 1 Samuel 24:10 said, Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD'S anointed, and this was after his kingdom was given to David.

When Jesus sent the twelve out doing miracles and preaching He said in Mark 6:11, And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom in the day of judgment, than for that city. Certain sin will be judged more severely than other sin at the great white throne Judgment for the unbeliever, but as God's anointed Jesus took our judgment for us. We as believers do miss the opportunity to have God's best when separated by sin from fellowship with God much like the prodigal son in Luke 15:11-32.

Talking of heaven Revelation 21:27 says; and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. Revelation 22:15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. This is talking about any that are not written in the Lamb's book of life. In Christ you are seen as the New Creation, you have His righteousness, and have been given eternal life; not conditional life.

Dear saints of God, believe what you will, but I have no doubt where Saul is because of what God had Samuel tell him.

Do notice the difference in the suicide of Judas and Saul. Saul was God's anointed and Judas was the son of perdition; John 17:12. None of them is lost, but the son of perdition (Judas); that the scripture might be fulfilled. That man of sin (The antichrist) will also be revealed, the son of perdition; a son of the lake of fire or given over to eternal misery in hell.

Depression from pain and suicidal thoughts are not uncommon among the elect.

Job 3:3 Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived.

Jeremiah 20:14 Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed.

1 Kings 19:10 And he (Elijah) said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

1 Samuel chapter 28. Saul is at war with the Philistines and God will not answer his prayer. He seeks a witch at En-dor in verse 7 & 11 to bring up the now deceased Samuel from the dead to answer his questions since God will not. In verse 19 Samuel tells Saul that tomorrow he and his sons will be with him. (In Abraham's bosom - the abode of the righteous dead before Christ died.) Saul committed suicide.

Those who contemplate suicide are caught up in three devastating feelings: hurt, abandonment and doubt as they feel no hope of the future. If they do not have a relationship with Christ through that of a Spiritual rebirth, John 3:3-7, then they are already destined to go to the lake of fire as their names are not found in the Lambs book of Life and will come under Gods judgement.

Many Christians who are weak in faith also contemplate suicide when things get unbearable in their life because they become consumed with their problems leaning on their own understandings instead of leaning on God whom is their help in times of trouble. This allows Satan who comes to kill, steal and destroy prey on them and steal what little faith they have.

The question is, even if they have weak faith do they still go to Hell if they commit suicide? I think it is possible because they lost all faith and hope in God therefore leaving themselves void of God in their life, which would cause them to be separated from God as they turn from that faith which is Christ Jesus. We also have Gods commandment thou shall not kill. God will forgive a murder who repents, but where is repentance if you are dead and can no longer ask for it. It repented (having regretted) Judas that he sold out for that of riches and even though he gave the money back he went and hung himself, Matthew 27:3-5, instead of asking Jesus to forgive him instead.

We also have heard that our sins are forgiven past, present and future for Christ paid the price for all sin even though we fall short at times, but grace keeps us in that of Gods righteousness which is found in us and God knows the intents of our hearts. If one ask for forgiveness before they sin are they forgiven? Answer to that in my perspective would be why would one sin willingly knowing they are going to sin. Grace does not give us a license to sin.

God is the life giver and in Him are we made in His image. Who has that right to take away what God has given.

Psalms 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;
Psalms 33:19 To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.
Psalms 33:20 Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.
Psalms 33:21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
Psalms 33:22 Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in

1Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Proverbs 3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
Proverbs 3:2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
Proverbs 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
Proverbs 3:4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

First of all, I believe not accepting Christ as your savior is the only sin not forgiven. Israel saw the miracles, heard the living water (the word of God) preached to them, and said that what was preached, and what they saw was of Beelzebub, Matthew 12:24; they didn't drink, and that was blasphemy. Needless to say they didn't accept Jesus as their Messiah, and will have eternity to regret it.

Below we see the history of King Saul's taking of his own life, and these things were given us as examples to show us what God does in our lives also.

1 Samuel chapter 28. Saul is at war with the Philistines and God will not answer his prayer. He seeks a witch at En-dor in verse 7 & 11 to bring up the now deceased Samuel from the dead to answer his questions since God will not. In verse 19 Samuel tells Saul that tomorrow he and his sons will be with him. (In Abraham's bosom.)

Samuel was deceased and was in Abraham's bosom described in Luke chapter 16 where he states Saul will join him. In Hebrews 11:32 we see Samuel described as one of the righteous of old, and so we must realize that Saul was also there also. Abraham's bosom was the resting place of the righteous dead, or also known as paradise in the center of the earth until Jesus died and took paradise to heaven. Now if we die as believers our spirit goes immediately to heaven to be with the Lord. The spirits of the unrighteous dead went to lower hell, and still do until the day of judgment.

Saul fell on his own sword to kill himself in 1 Chronicles 10:4. Then said Saul to his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. 5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise on the sword, and died. 6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and all his house died together.

Our salvation does not depend on what we do, but what God did and our accepting of the sacrifice He made for us. I've read many responses stating how certain things send us to hell, while others do not. One states that not repenting before we die condemns us, and some say that we can jump out of God's hand. If you haven't guessed, I believe in “Once Saved, Always Saved.” My faith is not based on "DO", but "DONE". Repentance or confession after we're saved brings us back into fellowship with God, and cleanses our conscience to continue our walk with Him. There are different rewards for us depending on what we allow God to accomplish in our lives, and greater punishment was promised those who committed certain sins such as murder, suicide, and homosexuality but they were not the worse; turning away from the message given such as those cities that didn't receive the disciples sent to them draws greater punishment than Sodom and Gomorra, and I imagine than all other sin.

Oh no some may say, king Saul disobeyed God and his kingdom was taken away and given to David. That is true, but here is what David said concerning Saul when after being pursued, then have opportunity to kill him; 1 Samuel 24:10 said, Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD'S anointed, and this was after his kingdom was given to David.

When Jesus sent the twelve out doing miracles and preaching He said in Mark 6:11, And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom in the day of judgment, than for that city. Certain sin will be judged more severely than other sin at the great white throne Judgment for the unbeliever, but as God's anointed Jesus took our judgment for us. We as believers do miss the opportunity to have God's best when separated by sin from fellowship with God much like the prodigal son in Luke 15:11-32.

Talking of heaven Revelation 21:27 says; and there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. Revelation 22:15. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. This is talking about any that are not written in the Lamb's book of life. In Christ you are seen as the New Creation, you have His righteousness, and have been given eternal life; not conditional life.

Dear saints of God, believe what you will, but I have no doubt where Saul is because of what God had Samuel tell him.

Do notice the difference in the suicide of Judas and Saul. Saul was God's anointed and Judas was the son of perdition; John 17:12. None of them is lost, but the son of perdition (Judas); that the scripture might be fulfilled. That man of sin (The antichrist) will also be revealed, the son of perdition; a son of the lake of fire or given over to eternal misery in hell.

Depression from pain and suicidal thoughts are not uncommon among the elect.

Job 3:3 Let the day perish wherein I was born, and the night in which it was said, There is a man child conceived.

Jeremiah 20:14 Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed.

1 Kings 19:10 And he (Elijah) said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

1 Samuel chapter 28. Saul is at war with the Philistines and God will not answer his prayer. He seeks a witch at En-dor in verse 7 & 11 to bring up the now deceased Samuel from the dead to answer his questions since God will not. In verse 19 Samuel tells Saul that tomorrow he and his sons will be with him. (In Abraham's bosom - the abode of the righteous dead before Christ died.) Saul committed suicide.

Thank you for this teaching about Saul and Judas Eugene, I think it is sound, as the scriptures show it to be.

I do not know how someone who has a relationship with Jesus could kill their selves.
In the case of King Saul, it was fear of being tortured by the Philistines according to 1 Chronicles 10:4. Dear Brother Clark, I suggest that we don't know what tomorrow brings to our life, and may we have the courage to face what God allows in our lives, and I think of Mark 9:24 ". . . Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief" as far as our weakness is concerned.
:wave2

there are links tween suicides and malaria pills. many a soldiers have taken them as ordered. so is that a sin then?
That is like the medication for acne called accutane.There were alot of warnings out about that medication having side effects for suicide.

there are links tween suicides and malaria pills. many a soldiers have taken them as ordered. so is that a sin then?
Brother Jason, I believe that to be the case also, to be determined with more study. I am very fearful for a friend I was instrumental in getting released from prison early through direct communication with the prison. He did well until last month as long as he was on surprise urine checks in halfway houses for two years, and then probation for an additional two years I think it was. Some time last month he was released from probation and I gave him what I called his first $100 free money he experienced in some probably 1-20 years; someday I'll attempt to check the 100 or so letters written to prison and figure it out, but from that moment of freedom it went down hill.

We have legalized marijuana in our state, and a few days later he began missing work, filed a hurt at work, hospital visits to get pain medicines; especially Perocet as I understand it, got a lawyer Pro bono and would not accept a job I had a friend of a mine offer him at a KFC. I attempted to let him work for me on projects here at home and he would do about a third of it, and leave it undone, or not show up on the weekend to finish it, and blame it on his need to sleep. His old habits returned in a heartbeat, and the place he was renting from an ex-police sergeant in his basement manifest itself. He began stealing from him when he would leave, but the upstairs had hidden cameras everywhere, recorded the thefts, he was thrown out at gunpoint, and a warrant issued. He says he isn't lazy, but will not work.

I don't know the answers, but it seems they become brain dead long before they become self destructive. This will be his third incarceration and he'll probably receive a life sentence. He went to church for some time, and prayerfully really has accepted Jesus as his Savior, but the world was always in the way of a sanctified Christian walk. How did I get involved? When his mother died as a kid, his younger sister lived with me and my wife for several years, and she too is heartbroken at this time. :shrug

Brother Jason, I believe that to be the case also, to be determined with more study. I am very fearful for a friend I was instrumental in getting released from prison early through direct communication with the prison. He did well until last month as long as he was on surprise urine checks in halfway houses for two years, and then probation for an additional two years I think it was. Some time last month he was released from probation and I gave him what I called his first $100 free money he experienced in some probably 1-20 years; someday I'll attempt to check the 100 or so letters written to prison and figure it out, but from that moment of freedom it went down hill.

We have legalized marijuana in our state, and a few days later he began missing work, filed a hurt at work, hospital visits to get pain medicines; especially Perocet as I understand it, got a lawyer Pro bono and would not accept a job I had a friend of a mine offer him at a KFC. I attempted to let him work for me on projects here at home and he would do about a third of it, and leave it undone, or not show up on the weekend to finish it, and blame it on his need to sleep. His old habits returned in a heartbeat, and the place he was renting from an ex-police sergeant in his basement manifest itself. He began stealing from him when he would leave, but the upstairs had hidden cameras everywhere, recorded the thefts, he was thrown out at gunpoint, and a warrant issued. He says he isn't lazy, but will not work.

I don't know the answers, but it seems they become brain dead long before they become self destructive. This will be his third incarceration and he'll probably receive a life sentence. He went to church for some time, and prayerfully really has accepted Jesus as his Savior, but the world was always in the way of a sanctified Christian walk. How did I get involved? When his mother died as a kid, his younger sister lived with me and my wife for several years, and she too is heartbroken at this time. :shrug

:sad :pray

When I use to teach in the prisons I would tell the inmates that it is easy to find Jesus while incarcerated, but just as easy to leave Him once you are paroled. If you do not have that personal relationship with Jesus then you may find Him again when you return to prison again. I had many letters saying I should have listened.

When I use to teach in the prisons I would tell the inmates that it is easy to find Jesus while incarcerated, but just as easy to leave Him once you are paroled. If you do not have that personal relationship with Jesus then you may find Him again when you return to prison again. I had many letters saying I should have listened.
Very true, and that seems to be the way with many entering trials of their faith.

Very true, and that seems to be the way with many entering trials of their faith.

Back in 1972 when I first asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior my faith was very weak as I had very little knowledge. Throughout the years I was on again and off again within my relationship with Christ. Many devastating trials and tribulations came my way until in 1997 I almost committed suicide. I consulted the Pastor of the Church I was going to at that time and told him about my thoughts of suicide and all the emotional feelings that were tormenting me. All he did was put his hand on my shoulder and told me I was a strong person and I could handle my own problems. A lot of help he was. I was always taught if one committed suicide they would go to hell so I took it upon myself to find any scriptures I could on it, but nothing was very clear on the subject other than "Thou shall not kill". Long story short, Jesus allowed me to hit rock bottom in order for me to truly seek Him, find Him and keep Him in my heart. Jesus was always there since 1972, but I just never realized it all the time.

Suicide is a sin, a selfish and prideful sin. One might think pride ? selfish ????? I mean most people who are willing to commit suicide are broken depressed hurt and weak. they themelves may be under the idea that they are the victims in their situation and they may very well be....

My wife's father drank a bottle of whiskey and shot himself in the head with a 12 ga after he caught her mom cheating on him with his brother. My wife and her brother and sister were devastated She was 13 years old... At the time he did it he had become so self centered in his hurt that made the choice to end his life. he had no vision left for continuing to live. He clearly was under the influence and he was vexed to make up his mind. (selfish)

pride and selfishness go hand in hand. one has to be proud of themselves to think they don't deserve pain. the idea that one deserves a comfortable life situation is the human condition.Naturally that's what we want. Yet if you ever took a good look at Job you might come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what we think we deserve. God may be working out a special detail on our character by allowing us to experience terrible things in life. It is allways unwise to try to stop God from his work.

As for who goes to heaven and who goes to hell.... That decision is reserved for the one who created them. Many Christians feel they have the ability to decide. when God is the only one who knows exactly what someone deserves. In king Saul's case God allowed him to be removed. whatever God does with Saul is not up to me. Whatever he does with Judas is not up to me. I would hope that we could all have the desire that none of them will be extinguished and that God can make all things rite. As he says he will.

Why do you think there are two resurrections?.....
the one is for for the elect to reign with Jesus for a thousand years. the second is for the dead to see the kingdom and have one last chance to make the decision to fall before God and allow Jesus to be their savior yet the ones that do not make that final choice will be eliminated. There are different levels of reward for people in the kingdom of God. The danger of this life is to lose your reward and spend eternity wishing you had done better.

The time will come where we will decide to be happy and thankful for the blessing we have and harbor absolutely no contempt for Gods judgement. And at that point who knows what kind of opportunities we will have to better ourselves and please god And who knows what kind of rewards he will deliver to those he delights in.Eternity is along time to make up for past mistakes... Even if you had eliminated your chances in this life the idea that we will have the eternal opportunity to do great things for god is a very hopeful thought.

Last edited:
god is compassionate. what sin isn't selfish? but that doesn't negate the point Kathy has made. is it a sin for the soldier who took his lariam and then has his brain chemistry by it and doesn't know that and ends his life? this fact is documented and the fda has limited lariam usage based on that.

The picture above my name is a double rainbow that landed in a cemetary. I could actually see that the rainbow ended there. I took the picture with my cell phone so it is of poor quality but it was an amazing to thing to see and contemplate. I thought of that scene for days. I wished I could have gotten a better picture. to think of how God values the souls there..... A pot of gold shouldn't even be considered for comparison.

Last edited:
The picture above my name is a double rainbow that landed in a cometary. I could actually see the the rainbow ended there. I took the picture with my cell phone so it is of poor quality but it was an amazing to thing to see and contemplate. I thought of that scene for days. I wished I could have gotten a better picture. to think of how God values the souls there..... A pot of gold shouldn't even be considered for comparison.
When I was young my mom used to tell me there was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.I would try and find it if the rainbow was by us. :)

Back