Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tattoos 'just part of our society'; among Christians 'it is open'.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I am not sure about the history of tattoos, but if it does have pagan origins, then a tattoo, even a godly one is wrong. It's just like Halloween. It is a Satanic holiday, and even if you dress up as a Bible character to go trick-or-treating, you are still participating in the holiday. Your motives might be good, but people might assume that you are just like everyone else in society. The Bible says that we need to be in the world but not of it (John 17:16).

I found this quote from an article http://www.bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id=230 that might be helpful. "Some Christians argue that they have the name Jesus or some Biblical word or sign tattooed on their body so they can witness by the tattoo. However, God is more concerned how we are living our lives than by displaying a religious mark on our body. That is not the highest way He would have us witness. The Lord would rather us witness to others by the character of Christ being demonstrated in our lives than display Christian slogans that many times are not matched by the life of Christ." (Under "Our Bodies are Our Temples") I think it brings up a good point. Our Christian character is more important than any displays of Christianity (a cross necklace, a T-shirt, etc.) That is what people remember most.

Psalm28.7:

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I guess the matter of origins can be looked at from many angles. I reckon also that it a key point would be whether any matter or thing can be sanctified, whatever the origin, however obscure.

Maybe one example, among many, could be in how many names if studied, could be found to have pagan origins. Like, for instance, Wednesday actually referred originally to the day of the Norse god Woden. In Portuguese, however, the word for Wednesday is Quarta-Feira, which literally means fourth day of the week. So does this mean we should start calling Wednesday the Fourth Day of the Week, in case someone decided that you and I are following Woden if we refer to Wednesday? No, of course not. Or does this suggest that we shouldn't advertise or attend Bible studies on Wednesdays for the same reason? Of course not. More likely, we should preferably take the attitude: 'This is the day that the Lord hath, made, we will be glad and rejoice in it'. Any pagan aspect to Wednesday may be safely regarded as having been lost in the mists of time.

I had a conversation with someone with a Bible verse tattoo a while back. I'm sure the person has also had other conversations with other people also. Clearly the view was taken that the design was sanctified to the person that obtained it. This does not mean that everyone will think the same way, or ought to think the same way. Some might like a Bible ref. design. You might think all tatts are ugly, period. Well, that's fine. There lies the importance of Christian liberty, I guess.

The fact that someone has a bad tattoo doesn't necessarily negate the fact that other person with for example a Bible ref. design might have a profitable conversation with someone as a result, from time to time.

Thanks again for your comment. Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going with the Christian liberty thing on this issue. Certainly if someone feels that tattoos are against God's will today, they should not get them, but I'm not so certain that the Levitical prohibition is still applicable to the extent that I would judge someone else on the issue.

I'm going with the Christian liberty thing on this issue. Certainly if someone feels that tattoos are against God's will today, they should not get them, but I'm not so certain that the Levitical prohibition is still applicable to the extent that I would judge someone else on the issue.

Speculative:

The Christian liberty aspect (Romans 14, etc.) is relevant, I think. What you say reminds me of your comment about the middle aged person at your church that has tattoos, one of them being a Celtic cross on her arm, and doesn't regret it or feel bad about it at all. Kind of makes me think of the verse:
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:tongueunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:biggrinontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->"Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." (Romans 14.28 ).

(If this makes sense?)

Blessings.

PS: I have been giving this some thought and my attention has been drawn, or I have caused myself to focus on, whether my posts seem to be saying that people should go get faith based tattoo designs.

This is not my intention for this impression to be given. (I guess it's hard to deny that there might be some positive aspects to them, though.)

Yes, it does.

The passage deals with forbidding pagan rituals used in sorcery and divination, IOW, rituals used in the service of other gods. God repeatedly warned the Israelites not to do what the pagans do in the worship of their gods.

Unlike the clipping of hair spoken about there, tattoos are still very much the domain of pagans worshiping their 'gods', as Mike's testimony bears out. But the day will come, thanks to those who are pushing that agenda, that the pagan ritual of tattooing will become an accepted part of our worship of God (e.g. so-called faith based tattoos).

I think you are overstating the significance of getting a tattoo; at least in the negative sense. I don't see "faith-based tattoos" being something that people worship or a form of worship of God, but simply a reminder that takes a bodily form.

For instance...if I decide to get the text "Jeremiah 29:11" tattooed on my ribcage...am I worshiping anyone or anything by doing so? No, not really. But if I am going through a hard time in life and see that "Jeremiah 29:11" on my ribs...I'm reminded that God has a plan to prosper me and not to harm me. It's a reminder of how great God is...that LEADS to my worshiping him. The tattoo itself does not have to be a form of worship.

I think you are overstating the significance of getting a tattoo; at least in the negative sense. I don't see "faith-based tattoos" being something that people worship or a form of worship of God, but simply a reminder that takes a bodily form.

For instance...if I decide to get the text "Jeremiah 29:11" tattooed on my ribcage...am I worshiping anyone or anything by doing so? No, not really. But if I am going through a hard time in life and see that "Jeremiah 29:11" on my ribs...I'm reminded that God has a plan to prosper me and not to harm me. It's a reminder of how great God is...that LEADS to my worshiping him. The tattoo itself does not have to be a form of worship.

Navigator:

Jeremiah 29.11 is a great verse. Is this your favorite one that you're thinking of having done?

Great to hear about your new friend, too. (Does she have, or would she be considering a tatt as well?)

Blessings.

Navigator:

Jeremiah 29.11 is a great verse. Is this your favorite one that you're thinking of having done?

Great to hear about your new friend, too. (Does she have, or would she be considering a tatt as well?)

Blessings.

I don't think she is my friend, but thank you. :)

And Jeremiah 29:11 isn't necessarily my FAVORITE verse, but definitely one that could make a good tattoo. It naturally gives you a feeling of being reminded of God's plans for you. So I thought it would be a good example for saying tattoos can and really should serve more as reminders than anything...

I don't think she is my friend, but thank you. :)

And Jeremiah 29:11 isn't necessarily my FAVORITE verse, but definitely one that could make a good tattoo. It naturally gives you a feeling of being reminded of God's plans for you. So I thought it would be a good example for saying tattoos can and really should serve more as reminders than anything...

Navigator:

Well, YW, anyway and see how it works out with her.

Yes, it's one of the more appropriate ones for a tattoo, isn't it?

And I guess the placement is related to whether it's principally to remind you or also to communicate to others, right?

Blessings.

I think it all depends on your motives. Why are you getting a tattoo and what does it mean to you? I have one and I don't feel like I've done something wrong. To each their own. I think there are far more important issues than this.

I think it all depends on your motives. Why are you getting a tattoo and what does it mean to you? I have one and I don't feel like I've done something wrong. To each their own. I think there are far more important issues than this.

one truth:

Well, I'm sure for your it was a worthwhile experience, anyway, to have it done, and like you say, it depends on the motive, really. There are tattoos and tattoos. Often it's done for one's 18th (whether or not at the encouragement, indifference or despair of one's mom!). Was it faith related at all, incidentally?

one truth:

Well, I'm sure for your it was a worthwhile experience, anyway, to have it done, and like you say, it depends on the motive, really. There are tattoos and tattoos. Often it's done for one's 18th (whether or not at the encouragement, indifference or despair of one's mom!). Was it faith related at all, incidentally?

I thought a lot before I decided to get a tattoo. It certainly wasn't spur of the moment. Yes, I had El Shaddai tattooed on my arm which means "God Almighty". I don't think I would have gotten one if it wasn't something to do with God or faith. Oh yeah, my dad was quite shocked. I was out of the house and everything, but it still surprised him that his little girl was sporting ink. ;)

I thought a lot before I decided to get a tattoo. It certainly wasn't spur of the moment. Yes, I had El Shaddai tattooed on my arm which means "God Almighty". I don't think I would have gotten one if it wasn't something to do with God or faith. Oh yeah, my dad was quite shocked. I was out of the house and everything, but it still surprised him that his little girl was sporting ink. ;)

Hannah:

It shocked him? Oh well. :)

Yes, it's a great Bible thought, isn't it? about El Shaddai, to do with dwelling in the secret place of the Most High, as I recall.

Come to think of it, this was the verse that was part of the title of the book by Elizabeth Elliott, who with her martyred husband served as a missionary to Ecuador, I think, right?

It must have been a very meaningful thought for you first to become a tattooed woman with, anyway.

(If you dad was surprised, sounds like your mom doesn't have one, then. Anyway, you're not a little girl, now, you're a big girl. :) )

Blessings.

Navigator:

Well, YW, anyway and see how it works out with her.

Yes, it's one of the more appropriate ones for a tattoo, isn't it?

And I guess the placement is related to whether it's principally to remind you or also to communicate to others, right?

Blessings.

Yes, exactly. If I get one, it would be hidden by clothing...no forearm, neck, or leg business haha.

Heh. My mom would probably flip if I got one.

questdriven: Well, although it's good not to ignore what she might think, it's also something which is done by responsible adults on their own decision. Of course, a Christian mom might eventually learn to respect a faith related design, especially (which maybe it would be, if you did happen to get one eventually?)

Blessings.

Hannah:

It shocked him? Oh well. :)

Yes, it's a great Bible thought, isn't it? about El Shaddai, to do with dwelling in the secret place of the Most High, as I recall.

Come to think of it, this was the verse that was part of the title of the book by Elizabeth Elliott, who with her martyred husband served as a missionary to Ecuador, I think, right?

It must have been a very meaningful thought for you first to become a tattooed woman with, anyway.

(If you dad was surprised, sounds like your mom doesn't have one, then. Anyway, you're not a little girl, now, you're a big girl. :) )

Blessings.

Well actually he came into my work to introduce his boss to me and I was admiring it. He saw it and was like "Is that what I think it is?" Probably would have been less of a shock in a different situation. I think I embarrassed him in front of his boss.

I don't think I've heard of that book. I've always loved the song El Shaddai and it has always been my favorite name for God. I wanted it to be a tattoo people ask about. And I do get asked about it ALL the time. Sometimes people just say "oh" when I tell them what it means. But some people get really stoked when I say it means God Almighty. A good witnessing tool! :)

And no, my mother does not have a tattoo and I'm sure she never will!

I thought my mom would but it was more my dad. ...

Hannah:

Yes, well with moms there is often a mother daughter bond, by which moms figure sooner what the attraction of doing such a thing might be, and like I said as well to questdriven, if it's a faith related one, moms can also get to respect it much more easily, too, even if she doesn't have one herself (so far).

Blessings.

.. I wanted it to be a tattoo people ask about. And I do get asked about it ALL the time. Sometimes people just say "oh" when I tell them what it means. But some people get really stoked when I say it means God Almighty. A good witnessing tool! :)

Well, this is a lovely testimony, Hannah.

And no, my mother does not have a tattoo and I'm sure she never will!

Don't hold your breath...just wait and see... :)

Blessings

Back