Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Bible & Suicide

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

I have been hearing for years' that if you commit suicide you will go to hell. The reason is because you have committed murder and you can't ask God for forgiveness. Around 2004 one of my fellow choir members husband and a member of our church himself, killed her and the 2 kids and then himself. I have known other people who have killed themselves, so do these saved people make it to the kingdom of God to be with Christ Our Lord, or are they banished to hell ? Let's see what the Bible has to say about it' or the suicides in the Bible.

The Bible and Suicide
What Does the Bible Say About Suicide?
http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/a/Bible-Suicide.htm

If a Christian commits suicide, is he still forgiven?
http://carm.org/questions/other-questions/if-christian-commits-suicide-he-still-forgiven

Is Suicide Unforgivable?
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/july10/30.61.html

I was taught that also Lewis... We Christians can sick of body i believe we can be sick of mind... God looks on our hearts. God knew the torment the man was under... I dont exactly agree with what i was taught a million years ago

The 3rd article requires people to sign up to read it. I don't do that so I couldn't read it all. But, it sounds like all three of these articles agree that indeed we will NOT go to hell for suicide. That's good news as a lot of us have known people who have committed suicide, and it's likely to get more common as our society seems to be constantly degrading these days. But I wonder if there is another side to this. Anyone know of scriptural rational showing that indeed we do lose our salvation and go to hell for suicide? Or is this just another example of traditional beliefs of men that are not based on real scripture in proper context?

I wonder how many people kill themselves each year because someone told them they wouldn't go to hell for it? If a close friend or a loved one approached you with the question, what would you say?

I wonder how many people kill themselves each year because someone told them they wouldn't go to hell for it? If a close friend or a loved one approached you with the question, what would you say?
That's an interesting question too. I don't believe we can tell someone they will go to hell for doing something if we have no scriptural backing for that, but we also don't want to unintentionally encourage anyone to kill themselves. It's conceivable that any of us could run into this situation and I think it's worth knowing ahead of time how to handle it. Someone's life could literally depend on it.

The bible is silent regarding suicide. I think we should be also.

Suicide is a very real issue and sometimes the only thing holding a person back is not knowing the answer to the heaven or hell question.

Suicide is a very real issue and sometimes the only thing holding a person back is not knowing the answer to the heaven or hell question.
I can not lie to them about it. I tell them the truth and then explain that all sin has a price that must be paid here or in Eternity. I explain, as best as I can, the pain I am enduring and the suffering my wife and daughter endure watching and caring for me so that they can see I have excellent reason to turn me off, sounds spiffy, doesn't it?

Then I tell them that I have no idea what crowns or gifts that sin, unforgiven? on Earth, might cost me, making suicide beyond the pail of my desires.

God bless.

Here suicide is the leading cause of death for 15 - 24 yo. :sad

Very early on in the ministry of teaching the Scriptures as a pastor, I had to have an answer to the suicide of a Christian. In my search for God's answer, I found 1 Corinthians 3:13-17.
1Co 3:13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.
1Co 3:14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?
1Co 3:17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.(ESV)

I have found that so many of our modern theologians stick mostly in the New Testament for their theology. They rely on the tender mercies and grace of our Lord in giving answers to these hard questions. It is, IMO, hard to find a theology that has a balance of O.T. & N.T. doctrine.

For me? It is critical that I have BALANCE! There must be a proper fear of the Lord! He is the One Who calls the shots, not us.
Mat 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Those of us who have been studying the O.T. have discovered a side of God that is not expressed in the N.T. as it is in the O.T. Therefore we get a one sided opinion of the nature of the Almighty God we serve. We are to serve Him the way He instructs. If we decide to go to the left or right of His narrow road, we do so at our peril. If we stay on the path that He demands, we will make it to our Promised Land. Heaven will be occupied with those who Love God with all their heart, mind, body, strength, and will. That means with all that we are, we belong to Him and do what He wants, not what the flesh wills.

I have said all this to say, I do not believe that a person who commits suicide will inherit eternal life! The Scripture is clear to me. The context of 1 Corinthians 3:13-17 is clear. We are looking at heavenly occupation and reward. The reward for destroying the residing place of the Holy Spirit, where He carries out the ministry of Jesus the Christ is a great sin against God. It classifies as the unforgivable sin because it attacks the Holy Spirit of God. Any speech or act against the Holy Spirit will bring the wrath of Almighty God, we Christians must not gloss over that in being a respecter of people or theology.

I personally believe, as I have stated before, it is possible for a person who claims to be saved, to loose that position by rejecting Jesus Christ and His Counselor, the Holy Spirit. They are God, they are one, they must be respected and feared. We show our respect by worshiping Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit. We demonstrate our fear the Lord, by not wanting to sin against Gods Commands, statues, and rules. We fear the results of Gods displeasure.

sheesh, 22 vets a day end their lives. too emotional of a topic to post at present. going to hell for a sad mistake? yes one could say that but often even Christians sin and fall short. is one saved from hell if they lie and don't repent and then die? or what about you run a stop sign and take a life and yours and had that habit and never repented? pick any sin and then end it with death and the person was saved in it as well. grace is sufficient. none of us will be holy and not die sinless.

I understand where you are coming from Jason. Many good people feel the same. The justice side of God is hard for most to understand. The intentional murder & destruction of the temple of the Holy Spirit carries a fatal sentence. The modern believer simply do not fear the Lord or His justice.

I understand where you are coming from Jason. Many good people feel the same. The justice side of God is hard for most to understand. The intentional murder & destruction of the temple of the Holy Spirit carries a fatal sentence. The modern believer simply do not fear the Lord or His justice.
intentional? have you actually ever felt the desire to end it? I have all to many times. its not that I wanted to kill myself. but rather just to end the pain. its an escape to those that see no other way. it has nothing to do with wanting to destroy oneself. does satan desire that we do it? yes can he lie to us and deceive us? what if its a chemical issue? the brain is an organ and it does have malfunctions. drugs used for malaria have caused soldiers to take their life.

intentional? have you actually ever felt the desire to end it? I have all to many times. its not that I wanted to kill myself. but rather just to end the pain. its an escape to those that see no other way. it has nothing to do with wanting to destroy oneself. does satan desire that we do it? yes can he lie to us and deceive us? what if its a chemical issue? the brain is an organ and it does have malfunctions. drugs used for malaria have caused soldiers to take their life.

Listen, you can name thousands of issues of a person who ends their life. All of it is "self-centered" All that person can think about their issues. Sure, Satan can orchestrate this, but you and I know that the Lord is against it! Taking what God did in bringing that person into this world, that He has not ended what He began, it is an intentional decision that the person takes disregarding the future that their Creator had for him/her. Our lives are to be lived for the purpose of the Almighty. He called us to Himself, we must not stop His creation, we don't have the right to do that.

You show me a Biblical position on someone who is God's chosen servant, being allowed to kill themselves. I'll agree with you.

Listen, you can name thousands of issues of a person who ends their life. All of it is "self-centered" All that person can think about their issues. Sure, Satan can orchestrate this, but you and I know that the Lord is against it! Taking what God did in bringing that person into this world, that He has not ended what He began, it is an intentional decision that the person takes disregarding the future that their Creator had for him/her. Our lives are to be lived for the purpose of the Almighty. He called us to Himself, we must not stop His creation, we don't have the right to do that.

You show me a Biblical position on someone who is God's chosen servant, being allowed to kill themselves. I'll agree with you.
im not justifying it, just stating that it does happen, but what about if I took methoquin and lariam and from that I couldn't think clearly(this is documented fact) and ended my life? was that a sin if I was Lawfully ordered to take malaria pills and I wasn't warned of the side effects and go out there and take my life.

besides the fear of hell had nothing to do with my not ending my life. rather that I knew that it wouldn't solve it. I would die and the problems would stop in that im dead but that's an escape.

http://militaryjusticeforall.com/2013/10/27/mefloquine-the-militarys-suicide-pill/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-remington-nevin/mefloquine-the-militarys-_b_3989034.html
I didn't have that affect and its effects are way after the pill has stopped being taken. neurotoxin! so again I ask in that case how can it be a sin, if I didn't intentionally harm myself and also hurt my body but was trying to do the right thing to prevent malaria?

so I ask is that a sin? it could be that my issues are from that. I took it for a year.

im not justifying it, just stating that it does happen, but what about if I took methoquin and lariam and from that I couldn't think clearly(this is documented fact) and ended my life? was that a sin if I was Lawfully ordered to take malaria pills and I wasn't warned of the side effects and go out there and take my life.

besides the fear of hell had nothing to do with my not ending my life. rather that I knew that it wouldn't solve it. I would die and the problems would stop in that im dead but that's an escape.

http://militaryjusticeforall.com/2013/10/27/mefloquine-the-militarys-suicide-pill/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-remington-nevin/mefloquine-the-militarys-_b_3989034.html
I didn't have that affect and its effects are way after the pill has stopped being taken. neurotoxin! so again I ask in that case how can it be a sin, if I didn't intentionally harm myself and also hurt my body but was trying to do the right thing to prevent malaria?

so I ask is that a sin? it could be that my issues are from that. I took it for a year.

You and I both know that the Lord God is the final Judge. My opinion or yours matters little. He looks on the heart of each individual and makes His final decision on what He sees there. Yahweh is a just God! He loves those who love Him. The heart of man is an open book to the Lord. His just penalty's and rewards are based on what He determines our heart tell Him.

A very emotional, heart wrenching topic.

God has kept me from a great deal of sin and death itself.
Too many times to count.
Would he not to it for you?

Would God allow me to kill my wife and kids and then myself because I took a prescription drug as ordered my a doctor?
If God can take me off drugs...
If God can take me off alcohol..
If God can turn around a life headed straight for hell...

Then God can prevent me from killing myself and my family.
Is this any different than being a practicing homosexual?
Should one be a sin against God and not the other?

I was taught that also Lewis... We Christians can sick of body i believe we can be sick of mind... God looks on our hearts. God knew the torment the man was under... I dont exactly agree with what i was taught a million years ago

You don't look a day over 999,000

Then Saul said to his armorbearer, "Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised men come and thrust me through and abuse me." But his armorbearer would not, for he was greatly afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword and fell on it. 5 And when his armorbearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword, and died with him. 1 Samuel 31:4-5

Equating self-murder to blasphemy of the holy spirit though?

Absolutely! It is an attack on the residing place and ministry place of our Savior. We are saved for a purpose. It is the will of God how we should life and glorify Him in our lives. We are bought with the price of our suffering Savior. For us to decide to end our suffering is not our to decide. Suffering the trials of war, or anything else is to the glory of the Almighty. To end my life would be the most selfish thing that I could ever do. My family would just begin to suffer anguish and hurt because of my premature death. I can not and must not end the life that the Almighty God created. I belong to Him, not me.

Back