Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Bible & Suicide

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I haven't had the time to read through every single comment and hope at least a portion of my reply is more than vain repetition... In skimming through this thread I have seen good arguments on both sides. It certainly is a complex issue. But if God is loving and merciful and knows the motives of the heart, could He not be moved to compassion for a person in the depths of suicidal despair? These people are not out to slight God, they are at their wits end and they can't conceive a better way out of an unbearable situation. Their pain is far greater than their ability to reason. I don't believe any person has the right to take a life, no matter whose, into their own hands. But I also believe that God forgives even murderers if their repentance is sincere (a broken and contrite heart He will not despise) - and only He can be the judge of that. Who among us can know for certain that in the moments after taking fatal action against themselves, a person doesn't realize their horrendous mistake and earnestly beg forgiveness from the bottom of their heart as they draw their last breath? Romans 8:1 says "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." God will judge all sin, but those of us saved by grace through faith in Christ have a merciful high priest who, having been human, can identify with our struggles and will defend us with compassion; who paid the price for our sins, past, present, and future, once and for all. Jesus was all about the compassion. Perhaps we, as his representatives here on earth should be as well. I believe we have a responsibility to shower people with the love of Christ, regardless of where they're at, instead of presuming to condemn them for something we might not understand. Judgment is God's alone. What if, instead of trying to scare people out of suicide, we sacrificed our precious time to listen to them and sympathize with their overwhelming burden? Just a thought...

A 1978 study by Richard Seiden showed that people who are stopped from jumping from the bridge rarely die by suicide at a later juncture by using another suicide method. Seiden studied 515 individuals who were stopped from jumping from the bridge, and an astounding 94 percent were either still alive or had died from natural causes some 25 years later.

I think that if, as my sociology class taught me, suicide is a social issue, then we all bear some responsibility, particularly with suicides in vulnerable people (the poor, the aged, the sick). I think another "War on Poverty," maybe coupled with a much-needed "War on Misery" (Christians could do that one) would go a long way towards lowering suicide rates. Just a random thought.

like what? I don't say that with an attitude, but its more along the lines it can improve some but really the only way imho is for the gospel to be interjected

Well, what I'm thinking, Instead of sending our tax dollars all over the world for political reasons, that money should be spent for our wounded men and women who return from the battlefield with serious wounds. They should receive the best medical help, provided with a nice home, adequate pay, a job if they are able to work, top counseling where ever they are experiencing problems....In other word, TAKE CARE OF OUR SOLDIERS! For those who are not wounded, A GOOD JOB. Something like that.

Well, what I'm thinking, Instead of sending our tax dollars all over the world for political reasons, that money should be spent for our wounded men and women who return from the battlefield with serious wounds. They should receive the best medical help, provided with a nice home, adequate pay, a job if they are able to work, top counseling where ever they are experiencing problems....In other word, TAKE CARE OF OUR SOLDIERS! For those who are not wounded, A GOOD JOB. Something like that.
we do that already. its good from vet to hard hat and the vet to teacher programs. when we have soldiers in my unit without work and aren't in school the guard works in house to get them a job. we network amongst each other, or the programs from fed/state level do it.(job fair).

im not against that idea but I sense years down the road an entitilement mentality but that is for another thread. I should do that that thread.

here is that thread.http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...mentatility-and-sacrifice-amongst-vets.53228/

Last edited:
we do that already. its good from vet to hard hat and the vet to teacher programs. when we have soldiers in my unit without work and aren't in school the guard works in house to get them a job. we network amongst each other, or the programs from fed/state level do it.(job fair).

im not against that idea but I sense years down the road an entitilement mentality but that is for another thread. I should do that that thread.

here is that thread.http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...mentatility-and-sacrifice-amongst-vets.53228/

As an Army soldier in Germany, 1960 to 1962 during the wonderful secret Berlin Conflict. Nothing could be done for any of us who came back with problems because "we were never there". That's what upsets me.....I'm really glad that there is some help for your guys. I also am proud to know you, who is helping others and recovering yourself.

I have a dedicated chaplain who is good as well as he served in the 80-90's era and came back in. he understands us mp's cause he was one.

Back