Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Existence of the Godhead

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
1. Just for clarity before I pursue further, are you contending that only God the Father is God and Jesus someone/something else?

L -

I am saying

6 yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him. 1 Corinthians 8:6 (American Standard Version)

3 And this is life eternal, that they should know thee [the Father] the only true God, and him whom thou didst send, even Jesus Christ. John 17:3 (American Standard Version)

Jesus clearly designated himself as someone OTHER than "the only true God".

What else can I say - this is the teaching of the Word of God - I am bound to it.

Best,
Anth

Paul describes the marriage relationship between husband and wife the same way as he describes the relationship between the Father and the Son and while doing so, shows how men and women are equal but have different roles within the relationship.

With all due respect, a man and a woman in a marriage relationship are two distinct entities - two distinct essences. Traditional trinitarianism teachs that God is a single essence - although not exactly a a single entity (it gets kind of weird at this point teaching both an essential montheism but personal tritheism...). So this analogy does not work (though I like all the ideas).

Best,
Anth

Anth said:
1. Just for clarity before I pursue further, are you contending that only God the Father is God and Jesus someone/something else?

L -

I am saying

6 yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him. 1 Corinthians 8:6 (American Standard Version)

3 And this is life eternal, that they should know thee [the Father] the only true God, and him whom thou didst send, even Jesus Christ. John 17:3 (American Standard Version)

What else can I say - this is the teaching of the Word of God - I am bound to it.

Best,
Anth

Jesus is not someone OTHER than the only true God. If you're going to "teach" the Word, you really should get it right. The teaching you're doing is error....plain and simple.

I resent being called disingenuous because I have had multiple experiences where I have learned that the muslims that I have spoken to turned to islam because their Christian family members could not explain to them the concept of trinity, especially when Christ never says he is the Father. This is my experience as I watch more and more people getting wrapped up around me because they say Christians don’t even know their own bibles. If that is not your experience then so be it. The Trinity is not too difficult to understand. For me and others it just doesn’t make sense and I wish St. Basil and his cohorts never came up with the idea.

I’m sorry I did not mean to make you feel resentful. Just from my perspective it’s difficult to understand that the one thing the people you’ve had experiences with couldn’t find believable about Christianity is that God consists of 3 persons but is one entity, but all the stuff about God coming to earth as man, dying for our sins on the cross and coming back from the dead made sense to them?

They didn’t just invent the idea of the Trinity, it was revealed to them by the Holy Spirit through their study of scripture, which there is much evidence for:

Matthew 28:19
2 Corinthians 13:14
1 Peter 1:1-2
Romans 14:17-18; 15:16
1 Corinthians 2:2-16; 12:4-6
2 Corinthians 1:21-22
Galatians 4:6
Ephesians 2:18-22; 3:14-19
Ephesians 4:4-6
Colossians 1:6-8
1Thessalonians 1:3-5;
2 Thessalonians 2:13-14
Titus 3:4-6

I also get that Yahushua is God. He was begotten of God so he couldn’t have any nature other than that of God. I have never said any different. But I will not deny the fact that Christ himself said he can only do what His father tells him to and that He not is greater than the One who sent him to earth to complete his work. Christ said it was His Father who gave him the power over life and death. Christ when referring to His Father, calls him “my Godâ€â€¦â€¦Christ’s words not mine.

If the above verse means (for some) Christ, who is God, is equal to His Father then it seems that they have a very strange relationship of equality. Because I do not ask my equals for permission to talk, nor do they determine what I say or where I go….and I definitely would not take commands from them…or turn my authority back over to them. Perhaps equality means something different from what I knew.

What you’re describing is the order of their relationship, which does not have anything to do with whether they are equals or not.

Do you work at a job? Do you have a boss? Are you not, as humans, equal despite you having different roles? Are you not afforded the same rights as every other citizen in the U.S., despite your standing in society?

It’s also no different then how a husband and wife are described, they’re equal but with different roles in a marriage relationship. The man is supposed to be the spiritual head of the family, does this mean that the husband has a spiritual dominance in a way of inequality over his wife? Not at all, they are still spiritually equal, but for spiritual blessings to come down through the family it has to be initiated by the man. It’s the same with God the Father and God the Son, it’s the order of their relationship, not the equality.

Additionally, the New Covenant does not make unless Jesus is fully God because only God had the ability to be our representative Covenant head.

I’m just not sure how you reconcile certain passages such as 1 Cor. 2: 6-16, where it says specifically the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, a being that is God yet exists separately from God the Father.

In your opinion, since you don’t believe in the Trinity, who are Jesus and the Holy Spirit then? Are you saying Jesus and the Father are two different gods? Is the Holy Spirit not God the Father and Jesus’s Spirit?

L -

I am saying

Then who is Jesus? And how can someone other than God live a perfect life and be our Covenant head? And then of what/who is this verse speaking?

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood[a] it.
6There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent,[c] nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.
14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,[d] who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

With all due respect, a man and a woman in a marriage relationship are two distinct entities - two distinct essences. Traditional trinitarianism teachs that God is a single essence - although not exactly a a single entity (it gets kind of weird at this point teaching both an essential montheism but personal tritheism...). So this analogy does not work (though I like all the ideas).

Best,
Anth

The example was to show how two persons can be equals even though there is an order of authority, that’s the example Paul gives. And God is a single essence, with a single purpose, carried out by three distinct persons with different roles.

Jesus is not someone OTHER than the only true God.

Jesus states that He is someone other than the true God - He is specific about it and repeatedly so.

I will stick with Him.

Best,
Anth

These make a beautiful picture ....like a mirror.......

Revelation 1:7-8 Jesus was the Almighty.
Genesis 17:1 And the Almighty was God.

John 8:58 Jesus was the "I Am"
Exodus 3:14 and the "I Am" was God

Acts 3:14 Jesus was the "HOLY ONE"
Isaiah 43:15 and the "HOLY ONE" was God

John 8:24 Jesus is the "I Am He"
Isaiah 43:10 and the "I Am He" was God

Revelation 22:13 Jesus is the "First and the Last"
Isaiah 44:6 and the "First and the Last" was God

I Corinthians 10:4 Jesus was "The Rock"
Psalm 18:31 and "The Rock" was God

II Corinthians 11:2 Jesus was the "One HUSBAND"
Jeremiah 31:32 and the "One HUSBAND" was God

Matthew 23:8 Jesus was the "ONE MASTER"
Malachi 1:6 and the "ONE MASTER" was God

John 10:16 Jesus was the "One SHEPHERD"
Isaiah 40:11 and the "ONE SHEPHERD" was God

Acts 4:12 Jesus was the "ONE SAVIOR"
Isaiah 45:21 and the "ONE SAVIOR" was God

Luke 1:68 Jesus was the "ONE REDEEMER"
Isaiah 41:14 and the "ONE REDEEMER" was God

Revelation 19:16 Jesus was "LORD OF LORDS
1 Timothy 6:14 Jesus was "LORD OF LORDS
Deuteronomy 10:17 and the "LORD OF LORDS" was God

Philippians 2:10 Every knee must bow to Jesus
Isaiah 45:23 Every knee must bow to God

John 1: 3-10 Jesus was the "ONE CREATOR"
Isaiah 44:24 The Lord your Redeemer was the "ONE CREATOR"
Genesis 1:1 and the "ONE CREATOR" was God

John 1:49 Jesus was "KING OF ISRAEL"
Isaiah 44:6 and the "KING OF ISRAEL" was God

Then who is Jesus? And how can someone other than God live a perfect life and be our Covenant head? And then of what/who is this verse speaking?

L

Jesus is the Christ (Messiah), the Son of the Living God (that is the purpose for John writing his gospel - see Ch 20:??).

How?? He did - by fully and continously surrending/releasing Himself to His Father. In fact, it was ABSOLUTELY necessary that it was a genuine man (not God in a body - which is NOT a genuine man) - in order to fulfill the call of God (see ITim2:5, ICor15:21, Heb2, etc.).

This is why Jesus is SO AMAZING!! And, why I worship the man Christ Jesus.

Best,
Anth

Cornelius said:
These make a beautiful picture ....like a mirror.......

Revelation 1:7-8 Jesus was the Almighty.
Genesis 17:1 And the Almighty was God.

John 8:58 Jesus was the "I Am"
Exodus 3:14 and the "I Am" was God

Acts 3:14 Jesus was the "HOLY ONE"
Isaiah 43:15 and the "HOLY ONE" was God

John 8:24 Jesus is the "I Am He"
Isaiah 43:10 and the "I Am He" was God

Revelation 22:13 Jesus is the "First and the Last"
Isaiah 44:6 and the "First and the Last" was God

I Corinthians 10:4 Jesus was "The Rock"
Psalm 18:31 and "The Rock" was God

II Corinthians 11:2 Jesus was the "One HUSBAND"
Jeremiah 31:32 and the "One HUSBAND" was God

Matthew 23:8 Jesus was the "ONE MASTER"
Malachi 1:6 and the "ONE MASTER" was God

John 10:16 Jesus was the "One SHEPHERD"
Isaiah 40:11 and the "ONE SHEPHERD" was God

Acts 4:12 Jesus was the "ONE SAVIOR"
Isaiah 45:21 and the "ONE SAVIOR" was God

Luke 1:68 Jesus was the "ONE REDEEMER"
Isaiah 41:14 and the "ONE REDEEMER" was God

Revelation 19:16 Jesus was "LORD OF LORDS
1 Timothy 6:14 Jesus was "LORD OF LORDS
Deuteronomy 10:17 and the "LORD OF LORDS" was God

Philippians 2:10 Every knee must bow to Jesus
Isaiah 45:23 Every knee must bow to God

John 1: 3-10 Jesus was the "ONE CREATOR"
Isaiah 44:24 The Lord your Redeemer was the "ONE CREATOR"
Genesis 1:1 and the "ONE CREATOR" was God

John 1:49 Jesus was "KING OF ISRAEL"
Isaiah 44:6 and the "KING OF ISRAEL" was God
Excellent job. You can't make it any clearer than that....Jesus had to be God as no mere human could be the perfect sacrificial Lamb. Jesus told us.... of those born of woman, none was greater than John the Baptist. And, yet, John was not perfect...nor was he God come in the flesh. Had we only required a perfect man...John was more than willing and well qualified.
Matthew 11:11 said:
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
Here is God speaking of John the Baptist...."he shall prepare the way before me". "I will come"..."I will be a swift witness"...
Malachi 3 said:
Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the LORD, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the
covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness. Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years. And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Anth said:
You can't make it any clearer than that....

Actually some decent exegesis would go a long way - but we have been through that before....

The Word of God only requires spiritual understanding....given by the the Holy Spirit.

A child or the most simple of men can understand the Word exactly as written when understanding is given by God. The most brilliant of men will but scoff and complain about how it comes across to his natural mind. Me? I choose to see with my spiritual eyes and hear with my spiritual ears...then, and only then, will I truly know what is being said.

I choose to see with my spiritual eyes and hear with my spiritual ears...then, and only then, will I truly know what is being said.

Funny - every one of the 6,000 or so denominations say the exact same thing Glory...

I have enough humility to know better....

Best,
Anth

Anth said:
I choose to see with my spiritual eyes and hear with my spiritual ears...then, and only then, will I truly know what is being said.

Funny - every one of the 6,000 or so denominations say the exact same thing Glory...

I have enough humility to know better....

Best,
Anth

LOL Yep, the first sign of a humble man is to brag about his humility. :biglaugh

Joh 20:28 Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
Joh 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Php 2:5 Have this mind in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 who, existing in the form of God, counted not the being on an equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Php 2:7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men;
Php 2:8 and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, becoming obedient even unto death, yea, the death of the cross.

Its only difficult to understand because we place God into a box.

God the Father is invisible.Jesus is the manifestation of the invisible God.Col 1:15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
Col 1:16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him;
Col 1:17 and he is before all things, and in him all things consist.
An image is what you see in the mirror. We too are created "in the image" .

Jesus the Son of Man: That is speaking of His body, which He received through His natural mother Mary.
Jesus the Son of God: That is speaking of the Word that was living IN that Son of Man. Christ in flesh. Immanuel.

Now we are suppose to be on that very same road as well. We too have bodies (sons of men) and now God has also given to us the ability to receive the Word (God) into our hearts so that Christ can now also live in our bodies (Sons of God) We are to duplicate what He did .1Jn 4:17 ....... because as he is, even so are we in this world.
Notice that we are as Jesus......."in this world" So those who teach we are to wait for the next world is wrong.Its now that we are to be "as He is"

That happens when we humble ourselves and submit to the Word, which is God.See, everything that comes out of God is God. Jesus proceeded from the Father, so He too is God.

A Son of God is a God.

I don't think many are ready to hear more than this. :)

Cornelius said:
Its only difficult to understand because we place God into a box.

God the Father is invisible.Jesus is the manifestation of the invisible God.Col 1:15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
Col 1:16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him;
Col 1:17 and he is before all things, and in him all things consist.
An image is what you see in the mirror. We too are created "in the image" .

Jesus the Son of Man: That is speaking of His body, which He received through His natural mother Mary.
Jesus the Son of God: That is speaking of the Word that was living IN that Son of Man. Christ in flesh. Immanuel.

Now we are suppose to be on that very same road as well. We too have bodies (sons of men) and now God has also given to us the ability to receive the Word (God) into our hearts so that Christ can now also live in our bodies (Sons of God) We are to duplicate what He did .1Jn 4:17 ....... because as he is, even so are we in this world.
Notice that we are as Jesus......."in this world" So those who teach we are to wait for the next world is wrong.Its now that we are to be "as He is"

That happens when we humble ourselves and submit to the Word, which is God.See, everything that comes out of God is God. Jesus proceeded from the Father, so He too is God.

A Son of God is a God.

:thumb :clap

Cornelius said:

A Son of God is a God.

And what kind of a God would that be?
Lucifer's desire was to be like God....I don't think God was too pleased with that notion.

Here is the gospel :)

We are suppose to be dead. (That should take care of the "we want to be as God" part. No man can be God )Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, So there you go. I am no longer in the picture, because I have died when I was crucified on the cross with Jesus Christ.

So next step:

Who now lives in this body of mine?

Gal 2:20 .................... but Christ living in me:

So , I guess now we just have to figure out if Christ is indeed God.

What do you think?

C

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back