Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Five Points of Calvinism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hello, I studied this subject in the past.
There are many scriptures that show that God has given us a will, like this example :
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Only there is also the consideration that God is Sovereign and that's why we pray for changes, providing they are aligned to God's will.

If you follow that passage, get the context, the idea of total libertarian free will is not found. Christ is speaking to the religious leaders who prevented "thy children," those under the care of the religious authorities, from coming to Christ.

William J. Styles points out, "Notice, however, 1. The design of the passage as a whole. It consists of an address to the Scribes and Pharisees (verses 13-39) in which their hypocrisy and persecuting spirit are rebuked, and the destruction of their city and temple is predicted. This determines the scope of the verse. The Lord is speaking as the Jewish Messiah to Jews, and declaring that by rejecting Him they would seal their national doom. His words cannot therefore, by any fair principle of interpretation be referred to sinners in general.
2. The determination which the Lord asserts had influenced Him. “I would have gathered you.” Does this express His will as one of the great Sacred Three, or His will as a man, with that independence of judgment and decision with which His human nature necessarily invested Him? The will of Christ as God, to save His elect is eternal and immutable, but the attributes of the human nature of Christ while on earth were often affected by local and relative considerations—in proof of which consult Mark 10:21, Luke 19:41, and 22:42. The will referred to was not eternal and continuous as the adverb “often” demonstrates. The verse therefore, does not teach that Jesus determined and endeavoured to effect the spiritual and eternal salvation of these people, but that He frequently attempted to gather them around Him that He might instruct them.

3. The persons mentioned in the verse, “the children of Jerusalem,” and the Scribes and Pharisees, addressed by the pronoun “ye.” Two distinct parties are contemplated. The verse is often quoted, “How often would I have gathered you, but ye would not.” This suits a theological purpose, but perverts the meaning of the verse. Notice then the persons alluded to—“thy children.” This may be understood literally or metaphorically. Literal children may be intended. Jesus received little children on one memorable occasion (Matt. 19:14-15), nor can we say that it was an isolated one. If this view be adopted, Jesus is here rebuking the Scribes and Pharisees for putting obstacles in the way of children who would have received His teachings. Surely Jesus must have been popular with the children. Never once do we read of an insult offered to Him by a child. The word “children” may, again, be used metaphorically, in the sense of the inhabitants of Jerusalem. “The common people heard Him gladly,” until they were prejudiced against Him by the scribes and Pharisees. It will be noticed that the latter supposition really embodies the former. Children were comprehended in the whole population. Notice the persons addressed, “ye.” The Scribes and Pharisees were determined that the people, young and old, should not be gathered to Christ (John 12:42.)

The sum then of the passage is, “that Christ as the Messiah out of a compassionate regard for His people, the Jews, to whom He was sent as the minister of the Circumcision, would have gathered them together under His ministry, and have instructed them in the knowledge of Himself as the Messiah; which, if they had only nationally received, would have secured them, as chickens under the hen, from impending judgments,”—perhaps the Roman eagle is implied in the figure. “Their” religious teachers and “governors however—not they themselves—would not.” Hence the national punishment they afterwards suffered."

jBird

That's a little bit of a mess. Paul is saying that even Gentiles who were not given the Mosaic covenant of works know right from wrong

The way they know right from wrong is that they have become partakers of the New Covenant, whereby the law of God is written on the heart and in their mind.

That is the language associated with the New Covenant.

Are you somehow saying that Gentiles who were not part of the New Covenant, as promised by God through the mouth of Jeremiah, have the law of God written on their as well?

as it is written - I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts;

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more." Jeremiah 31:33-34

This language is exclusive to the New Covenant.

Paul is contrasting the law of Moses with the New Covenant, and is describing Gentiles who have heard the Gospel and are now partakers of the New Covenant and it's promises, one of which is I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts;

for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. Romans 2:14-16

...are a law to themselves,

Gentiles in the New Covenant are not under the law of Moses but are a law unto themselves having God's law written on their heart and in their mind.

They will be judged, on the Day of Judgement, NOT by the law of Moses, but by the Gospel.

JLB

OK...I'm jumping in late here, and I'm not used to posting here, but...here goes...

...a little background. I was raised very liberal PCUSA (mother was an elder for a time). Both parents come from Calvinist backgrounds. Saved by Teen Challenge (God bless those people!), finally got saved 2 years ago. Now...I'm revisiting TULIP and such for a number of reasons, including my narrative of my own come to Jesus moment and subsequent progress as a Christian.

OK...(drum roll, please...)...here are some verses I consider as backing up some sort of predestination: John 10:27; Romans 9:13; Romans 8:28; Romans 9:18.

I think you can see predestination in action, if you look long and hard enough and put the pieces together. Many are called, few are chosen. Why is it that you can show love to people and talk to them about Christ until you're blue in the face and they can't/won't/don't change, but then the most unlikely characters end up as Christians with far less time spent on their conversion?

Matthew 7:13-14. The fact that so many are on the broad road, and so few find the narrow road that leads to life everlasting, would lead me to believe that the Calvinists are correct. It is not a wonder that so many end up in Hell, its a gracious miracle that so many end up in Heaven, relatively speaking.

Where are the folks that are defending Calvinism. I had no idea the Doctrine was making a comeback but in dead chruches anyway.

The other Doctrine is Foreknowledge or arminism however you spell it. I hear that more in chruches than I do Calvinism.

(Edited, Failure to follow moderators instructions already posted in this thread and A&T Guidelines, "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding." Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...I'm jumping in late here, and I'm not used to posting here, but...here goes...

...a little background. I was raised very liberal PCUSA (mother was an elder for a time). Both parents come from Calvinist backgrounds. Saved by Teen Challenge (God bless those people!), finally got saved 2 years ago. Now...I'm revisiting TULIP and such for a number of reasons, including my narrative of my own come to Jesus moment and subsequent progress as a Christian.

OK...(drum roll, please...)...here are some verses I consider as backing up some sort of predestination: John 10:27; Romans 9:13; Romans 8:28; Romans 9:18.

I think you can see predestination in action, if you look long and hard enough and put the pieces together. Many are called, few are chosen. Why is it that you can show love to people and talk to them about Christ until you're blue in the face and they can't/won't/don't change, but then the most unlikely characters end up as Christians with far less time spent on their conversion?

Matthew 7:13-14. The fact that so many are on the broad road, and so few find the narrow road that leads to life everlasting, would lead me to believe that the Calvinists are correct. It is not a wonder that so many end up in Hell, its a gracious miracle that so many end up in Heaven, relatively speaking.

He chose those He foreknew in Christ.

God foresaw those who would chose CHRIST and He chose them.

Whom He foreknew, He predestined...

just as He chose us in Him before thefoundationoftheworld, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, Ephesians 1:4

just as He chose us in Him before thefoundationoftheworld, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, Ephesians 1:4

The scripture does not say he Choose those or hand picked those. All things were to be under the son of God.

Eph 1:22 kjva And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Col 1:16-17 kjva 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

1Jn 2:2-3 kjva 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

No scripture saying God foresaw anything, no scripture saying God hand picked anyone. God has made a plan for everyone that will believe.

All things were created for Jesus, through Jesus and because of Jesus that all things might conist through the son by which the Worlds were made.

Everything on the planet was planned (Predestined) to be under the Son of God.

Your adding things and ignoring other scriptures. I am shocked your siding with this election, foreknowledge stuff.

No scripture saying God foresaw anything, …

Ps 139:4,6,16 (LEB) For there is not a word yet on my tongue,
but behold, O Yahweh, you know it completely. …and in your book they all were written—days fashioned for me when there was not one of them.

God completely foreknew/foresaw David’s words (all of them) before they were even spoken.

God completely foreknew/foresaw David’s days (all of them) before they occurred. Even going so far as writing them down in His book.
… no scripture saying God hand picked anyone.
1 Samuel 16:1(LEB) [David Is Anointed ]
Then Yahweh said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn about Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel! Fill up your horn with oil and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have chosen a king for myself among his sons.”

God hand picked (choose) David as king.

Romans 15:12 (LEB) And again Isaiah says, “The root of Jesse will come, even the one who rises to rule over the Gentiles; in him the Gentiles will put their hope.”

God foreknew (even telling Isaiah of His coming 100’s of years before it happened) that Jesus was coming to “rise” and rule over the Gentiles.

And God foreknew that the Gentiles would put their hope in Him (Jesus).

i.e. God knows a lot of things (at least these things, if no all things) before they happen. What about the things pertaining to an individual’s salvation???

John 4:13 (LEB) Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again. 14 But whoever drinks of this water which I will give to him will never be thirsty for eternity, but the water which I will give to him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

Jesus (The Son of God) foreknows that whoever drinks the water which He gives them (out of everyone), will never be thirsty for that water again and will spring up to Eternal Life.

1 Timothy 1:15-16 (LEB) 15 The saying is trustworthy and worthy of all acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But because of this I was shown mercy, in order that in me foremost, Christ Jesus might demonstrate his total patience, for an example for those who are going to believe in him for eternal life.

It’s a trustworthy saying that Christ Jesus came into the world to save those sinners who are going to believe in Him for eternal life. Very worthy of all acceptance, indeed.

Yet all this foreknowledge God possess patinelty, it’s almost too amazingly wonderful to believe.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. It is set high; I cannot prevail against it. Ps 139:6 (LEB)​

Thank you folks for the replies and irenic spirit you have shown.

I’d like to say I’m not interested in a multi-person, long and drawn out debate. It has been my experience that nothing is gained. My posts were meant to clear up some misunderstands about the passages used in defense of TOTAL libertarian FREE WILL. It might be a good idea to have a one on one debate, something not so formal, but with a goal and conclusion in mind. That I would be interested in…is there any takers?

A few parting thoughts;

Grace is unmerited, it is the undeserved favour of God toward the wicked sinner. If salvation of the sinner is based on something that sinner does, as is suggested with the total libertarian free will idea it’s faith, than grace is deserved. If the sinner conjured up the faith to activate the saving of their soul then we must conclude that salvation is not of grace but of some combined effect of the sinner and God.

Somebody’s heretic,

jBird

Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

To me the question is who is us? Verse 1 says that 'us' is the saints, corporately. He predestined the saints, all those in Christ, to adoption by Himself through Christ. He foreordained that He would have a chosen people that would worship Him. No matter how people have worked against this throughout the history of the world, He will see that it happens.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

To me Paul is saying, God has done His part through His Son, now it's you to accept the terms of the reconciliation or reject it.

Ps 139:4,6,16 (LEB) For there is not a word yet on my tongue,
but behold, O Yahweh, you know it completely. …and in your book they all were written—days fashioned for me when there was not one of them.

God completely foreknew/foresaw David’s words (all of them) before they were even spoken.

God completely foreknew/foresaw David’s days (all of them) before they occurred. Even going so far as writing them down in His book.

1 Samuel 16:1(LEB) [David Is Anointed ]
Then Yahweh said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn about Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel! Fill up your horn with oil and go. I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have chosen a king for myself among his sons.”

God hand picked (choose) David as king.

Romans 15:12 (LEB) And again Isaiah says, “The root of Jesse will come, even the one who rises to rule over the Gentiles; in him the Gentiles will put their hope.”

God foreknew (even telling Isaiah of His coming 100’s of years before it happened) that Jesus was coming to “rise” and rule over the Gentiles.

And God foreknew that the Gentiles would put their hope in Him (Jesus).

i.e. God knows a lot of things (at least these things, if no all things) before they happen. What about the things pertaining to an individual’s salvation???

John 4:13 (LEB) Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again. 14 But whoever drinks of this water which I will give to him will never be thirsty for eternity, but the water which I will give to him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

Jesus (The Son of God) foreknows that whoever drinks the water which He gives them (out of everyone), will never be thirsty for that water again and will spring up to Eternal Life.

1 Timothy 1:15-16 (LEB) 15 The saying is trustworthy and worthy of all acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But because of this I was shown mercy, in order that in me foremost, Christ Jesus might demonstrate his total patience, for an example for those who are going to believe in him for eternal life.

It’s a trustworthy saying that Christ Jesus came into the world to save those sinners who are going to believe in Him for eternal life. Very worthy of all acceptance, indeed.

Yet all this foreknowledge God possess patinelty, it’s almost too amazingly wonderful to believe.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. It is set high; I cannot prevail against it. Ps 139:6 (LEB)​

(Edited, ToS 2.4 belittling and insulting comment. Obadiah)

First your mixing Foreknowledge with causing. It's not That God knew lots of things, but that God declared lots of things. His Word does not return void.

1Ti 1:16 kjva Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

This verse is not Saying those that are saved are the ones God knew who would believe. It's just saying Paul is a pattern to them, being a chief sinner that if they believe they get eternal life.

Joh 3:16 kjva For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The condtion is whosover will believe.

And No, God did not forknow about David. Saul blew it, for God said it has grieved me that I made Saul King, the Lord repented of it........ (Sighed in Hebrew) (A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")

God is not a fortune teller, He declares the end from the beggining, His cousol will stand. (A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")

God said about a donkey meeting up with Jesus. How God Know the Donkey would meet with Jesus at that time? (A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")

How does God know the steps ahead of David and behind. Is it fortune telling?
How does God know David's path?

See, there are lots of scriptures where God does not know, I mean lots. (A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")
So........... There must be a reason God knew about Davids Path, and keep in line with the rest of the scriptures.

Don't confuse God saying something, and thinking it's fortune telling. It's not that God looks in the crystal ball and says, "Ah, that How it's going to happen, best go tell one of my prophets to write that down for me."

Isa 55:11 kjva So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

This is not fortune telling, this is causing, like every other thing God said that came to pass.

Don't confuse the two.

Jer 1:5 kjva Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

The Path of the Just is a shinning light that gets brigher and brighter unto the perfect day.

So How does God know David's path? How is David's path recorded for What David should do?

It's not foreknowledge, it's not election. What is it?

How did Jesus meet up with that Donkey God spoke about long ago. How doe Jesus end up in the right place, at the right time the donkey was there? How does that work?

Jesus said when asked about a tree that would not produce fruit whom the dresser wanted to cut down and throw into the fire. He said........ Dung around the tree, give it a chance, and if it does not produce fruit, then cut it down. (A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")

Jesus did not say........ My Father in Heaven already knows the tree won't produce fruit, so cut it down.

There are lots and lots and lots more scriptures just like this. (A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")
Everything has to match, and not counter something else.

So how does God have David's path in a book?

Anyone interested in a semi-formal, one on one debate? I'd like to tie up lose ends but not in an open forum.

Yours,

jBird

I’d like to say I’m not interested in a multi-person, long and drawn out debate. It has been my experience that nothing is gained. My posts were meant to clear up some misunderstands about the passages used in defense of TOTAL libertarian FREE WILL. It might be a good idea to have a one on one debate, something not so formal, but with a goal and conclusion in mind. That I would be interested in…is there any takers?

A few parting thoughts;

Grace is unmerited, it is the undeserved favour of God toward the wicked sinner. If salvation of the sinner is based on something that sinner does, as is suggested with the total libertarian free will idea it’s faith, than grace is deserved. If the sinner conjured up the faith to activate the saving of their soul then we must conclude that salvation is not of grace but of some combined effect of the sinner and God.

Somebody’s heretic,

jBird
This very subject, tore apart a long time friendship of two great Christian men, George Whitefield and John Wesley. However, I have never read anywhere that either man ever called the other a heretic.
Whitefield....
"Mr. Wesley I think is wrong in some things, and Mr. Law wrong also; yet I believe that both Mr. Law and Mr. Wesley, and others, with whom we do not agree in all things, will shine bright in glory. It is best therefore for a gospel minister, simply and powerfully to preach those truths he has been taught of God, and to meddle as little as possible with those who are children of God, though they should differ in many things."
Wesley about speaking at Whitefield's funeral.....
"His [Whitefield’s] fundamental point was, Give God all the glory of whatever is good in man: set Christ as high, and man as low as possible, in the business of salvation. All merit is in the blood of Christ, and all power in and from the Spirit of Christ."
https://missionsforum.wordpress.com...siveness-of-debate-over-calvinismarminianism/

Of course no one admits that off the bat that they are ultimately responsible for their salvation or, working the Gospel like a Divine AmWay program, but it's inherent in the non-Calvinist position.

No, it's not. There is no one who does not receive understanding from the Lord.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world1.
(Joh 1:6-9 NKJ)

Every person get some form of understanding from God.

What causes one to differ? Grace. The person who holds to the idea of total libertarian free will has to concede it was their choice that brought them into a relationship with God. It was due to their ability to see the offer of the Gospel that seprates them from others who do not. This runs runs contrary to Gospel principles, "A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven." How is one able to even comprihend and believe if, "the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be."

But, as I've shown every person does receive some understanding from Heaven. You asked how is one able to comprehend and believe? The've been given understanding. The question is what will they do with that understanding?

You quoted the passage that says the carnal mind is enmity with God. Can you exegete that passage in context?

Exactly. Just like Lydia in Acts whose heart was opened before she could believe, "And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul."

You said, "Just like Lydia in Acts whose heart was opened before she could believe". Aren't you assuming that her heart had to be opened before she could believe? I don't see anything in the text that says that. I don't see any reason she couldn't have opened her own heart. It seems to me that that conclusion is drawn from a presupposition.

You are begging the question by inserting into the passages cited total libertarian free will. The passage from Romans 1 reads "to every one that believeth." You are assuming that "every one that believeth" means everyone has the ability to believe. This is the Divine AmWay program where God sets up a program for salvation and all you have to do is work it. Again, what causes one to differ? The ability to hear the Gospel or the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration? Who is Christ speaking to in John 16 and how would His listeners of understood Him? Christ is talking about general conviction and not conviction that leads to godly repentance and sorrow.

Aren't you inserting a lack of free will?

Romans 10 reads, " whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." This begs the question. You are assuming total liberation free will but not proving it with this verse. Who are the "whosoever?" Verse 17 of the same chapter is followed by "I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." Let's stop here for just a second and examine the passage. The idea of "world" in John 16 was assumed by the poster to mean everybody, everywhere, all the time. World = every single person, ever. Without exception. Is that consistent with what Paul is saying here in Romans? Did everybody, everywhere and at all times hear the Gospel? If we accept this understanding of the word "world" yes, everyone has heard the Gospel. But we know not everyone has heard the Gospel. The Greek word "world" has seven meanings. I will not go into them here but please look them up.

Haven't you assumed a lack of free will without proving it?

Also, if you're looking at Romans 10, why define world by what Jesus said in John 16?

Let's look at Paul's words here. Did Paul say everyone has heard the Gospel? you quoted, "I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world." In this passage Paul is quote Psalm 19.

NKJ Psalm 19:1 <To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.> The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.
2 Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language Where their voice is not heard.
4 Their line1 has gone out through all the earth, And their words to the end of the world. In them He has set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, And rejoices like a strong man to run its race.
6 Its rising is from one end of heaven, And its circuit to the other end; And there is nothing hidden from its heat.
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;
8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;
9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward.
12 Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults.
13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be innocent of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer. (Psa 19:1-14 NKJ)

Paul says the heavens have declared the glory of the Lord and the firmament His handiwork. Has this occurred in all of the world? Sure it has all of creation declares the glory of God. He says there is no speech or language where they are not heard. Are there people who have no communication at all? It's doubtful.

1 Peter 1.23 was used above. The same chapter also reads, "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father." Does God learn the future or is God omnipotent (all knowing)? We know God is all knowing and therefore does not learn of some future decision a creature makes in time. God's knowledge is not based on what He learns by looking through the corridor of time.

You quoted, "Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father." Firstly, 1 Peter is written to Jewish believers. The Jews were God's elect. However, the the word order in that passage has been changed from the original. It's my opinion that this was done to favor Reformed doctrine. The word "elect" is actually in verse one not verse two. Here is a Literal translation of the Greek text.

YLT 1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the choice sojourners of the dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2 according to a foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, to obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied! (1Pe 1:1-2 YLT)

To the elect sojourners of the dispersion. That's the way the Greek text reads.

Before we get to verse 23 we find, "foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God..." There we have it. We believe because we were foreordained before the foundation of the world to do so and "by him do believe in God..." or "through him are believers." We are not believers on our own but by the Fathers ordination and in Christ Jesus. Amen.

That's not what the passage says,

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. (1Pe 1:19-21 KJV)

That passage says that it was Christ who was foreordained, not one's belief. Verse 21 says, "who by him", the word by is the Greek word dia which means through in the genitive case. We believe through Him

Can't argue with James who wrote, "Of (not my will but) his own will begat he us with the word of truth"

But, James didn't say, "(not my will but)". That's an assumption imposed on the text. If it's my will to get on the bus, yet it is not the bus drivers will that I get on, he won't open the door and I can't get on. Likewise, it's his will that I get on the bus, yet not my will I don't get on the bus. However, it is the will of both of us that I get on the bus, then I get on the bus.

Kind of but I'd like to clarify. God uses means, or God deals with mankind often through intermediaries. (Assyrians/Babylonians to punish Israel, etc.) The preaching of the Gospel is how God chooses to call His people. To use, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" as a proof text display a misunderstanding of how God works in the world.

Those were just a few misunderstands that jumped out at me and I wanted to clarify the Reformed position.

Thank you.

jBird

I don't believe they were misunderstandings of the Scriptures.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Butch5, thanks for that very enlightening and helpful post. We can talk about this in more detail and see which other Scriptures you can bring to bear on the subject. Let's take each point and discuss it. I call them the dominoes of Calvinism.

“In a domino show, when the first tile is toppled, it topples the second, which topples the third, etc., resulting in all of the tiles falling.” There are five points of Calvinism (T.U.L.I.P.) pertaining to salvation, of which only one is valid, but improperly presented. The rest are false, and at least two flatly contradict the Bible. If any one of them is shown to be false, then all of them will topple like dominoes. This summary will show that the five points of Calvinism are “the doctrines of men” and not “the doctrine of God” (Tit 2:1). They all topple when one “rightly divides the word of Truth” (2 Tim 2:15).

1. Total Depravity (Source:http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/dabney/5points.htm)
‘What Presbyterians really mean by terms such as "Original Sin," "Total Depravity," and "Inability of the Will" is defined by our Confession of Faith, Chapter 10, Section 3: "Man, by his fall into a state of sin, hath wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation; so as a natural man being altogether averse from that good, and dead in sin, is not able, by his own strength, to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto."’

‘Calvinism also maintains that because of our fallen nature we are born again not by our own will but God’s will (John 1:12-13); God grants that we believe (Phil. 1:29); faith is the work of God (John 6:28-29); God appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48); and God predestines (Eph. 1:1-11; Rom. 8:29; 9:9-23). (From Calvinist Corner)

So the first thing Calvinism does is create a straw man. No one who preaches the true Gospel asserts that any sinner can “will any spiritual good accompanying salvation” or that he can “by his own strength” convert himself or “prepare himself thereto”. No one claims that anyone can be born again by “by our own will”. The whole point though is to claim that God has predestined some to salvation, therefore they are “granted” the ability to believe and “granted” faith at the same time.

The Bible, on the other hand, teaches that the Gospel “is the power of God unto salvation” (Rom 1:16). What this means is when the true Gospel is preached, sinners are convicted of their sins and convinced of the truth of the Gospel (Jn 16:7-11; Rom 10:8-15). Faith is generated by the Word of God -- the Gospel (Rom 10:17) and the New Birth is caused by the Word of God also (1 Pet 1:23; Jas 1:18). So, in essence, it is the preaching of the Gospel that generates faith (Mk 16:15,16).
One of the first things to consider regarding Calvinism is to ask them to provide verses that actually say what they claim. For example, they believe that Christ died only for the elect. The Bible many times says that Christ died for all (2 Cor 5:14,15, Heb 2:9, 1 Jn 2:2). Of course, they will try to claim that "all" only means the elect, yet without any Scriptural support.

One can take any of the "5 points" and not find Scripture that supports any one of them. For example, the "T" is for 'total depravity', which basically means that fallen man cannot save himself. But Calvinism goes further and claims that fallen man can't even understand the gospel and cannot believe until he is regenerated. But where is that found in the Bible? It's not.

Or, the "U" for unconditional election. Calvinists believe that God chooses who will believe, and regenerates those He has chosen so they will believe. Yet, no support from Scripture. We know that God has chosen to save those who believe from 1 Cor 1:21. So, He chooses believers for salvation. Calvinists have twisted it around by claiming that God elects people for salvation "without conditions", meaning He doesn't save on the basis of faith, but on the basis of His "sovereign choice". Yet, again, where is that found? It's not.

Regarding the "I" or irresistible grace, we know that man is able to resist the Holy Spirit from Acts 7:51.

And the "P", or perseverance of the saints. There are no verses that say that those who have believed will persevere in the faith. In fact, there are several verses that encourage believers to "continue/remain in the faith" (Acts 11:23, Acts 14:22, Phil 1:23).

Regarding the idea of perseverance, it is God who perseveres in saving those who have believed.

One of the first things to consider regarding Calvinism is to ask them to provide verses that actually say what they claim. For example, they believe that Christ died only for the elect. The Bible many times says that Christ died for all (2 Cor 5:14,15, Heb 2:9, 1 Jn 2:2). Of course, they will try to claim that "all" only means the elect, yet without any Scriptural support.

One can take any of the "5 points" and not find Scripture that supports any one of them. For example, the "T" is for 'total depravity', which basically means that fallen man cannot save himself. But Calvinism goes further and claims that fallen man can't even understand the gospel and cannot believe until he is regenerated. But where is that found in the Bible? It's not.

Or, the "U" for unconditional election. Calvinists believe that God chooses who will believe, and regenerates those He has chosen so they will believe. Yet, no support from Scripture. We know that God has chosen to save those who believe from 1 Cor 1:21. So, He chooses believers for salvation. Calvinists have twisted it around by claiming that God elects people for salvation "without conditions", meaning He doesn't save on the basis of faith, but on the basis of His "sovereign choice". Yet, again, where is that found? It's not.

Regarding the "I" or irresistible grace, we know that man is able to resist the Holy Spirit from Acts 7:51.

And the "P", or perseverance of the saints. There are no verses that say that those who have believed will persevere in the faith. In fact, there are several verses that encourage believers to "continue/remain in the faith" (Acts 11:23, Acts 14:22, Phil 1:23).

Regarding the idea of perseverance, it is God who perseveres in saving those who have believed.

Yes, Calvinism is a bad doctrine. Great points.

(A&T Guidelines: "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding.")

We need to compare and divide all scriptures together. False doctrines cherry pick scriptures and twist them.

A few parting thoughts;

Somebody’s heretic,

jBird
JBird, welcome. And just so you are aware, this is a debate forum so any comments made within the forum guidelines and ToS are open to debate by all members. There is a separate one on one debate subsection of this forum here for one on one debates that you may want to take a look at.

Obadiah looks like Butch5 and jBird would like a 1 one 1...

posts # 31 and # 34

I think setting it up is 'admin' i have never done it before :) if i goof we can try again.. :)

WIP i cant seem to get this done?

Last edited:
Thanks reba , I saw that. I've never done that either, so I guess we need to figure it out!

After what i did to Jesse i am a bit gun shy.... so i will quit trying ... reba

(Edited, ToS 2.14, "If a member disagrees with a Moderator's action, they are not to take their dispute public." Obadiah.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back