Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Gun Thread

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That was not the point of the story.
Jesus, in Luke 22 verse 36 says to buy a sword.
In verse 37 Jesus says he was numbered with the transgressors
and he says this must be fulfilled, and says "what is written about me is reaching it's fulfillment".
Two swords?
Jesus says that is enough.

By being with men who had swords, he was then numbered with the transgressors.
The swords were not needed for anything else.
Prophecy had to be fulfilled.
That's why 2 swords were plenty.

It has nothing to do with defending our selves.
What was Jesus dying on the cross for if not to defend us from all sin?
Thanks for explaining this.
In fact, a little later Jesus says "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword."
Mathew 26:52

These are good versus to study.

Wondering

That was not the point of the story.
Jesus, in Luke 22 verse 36 says to buy a sword.
In verse 37 Jesus says he was numbered with the transgressors
and he says this must be fulfilled, and says "what is written about me is reaching it's fulfillment".
Two swords?
Jesus says that is enough.

By being with men who had swords, he was then numbered with the transgressors.
The swords were not needed for anything else.
Prophecy had to be fulfilled.
That's why 2 swords were plenty.

It has nothing to do with defending our selves.
What was Jesus dying on the cross for if not to defend us from all sin?

I've heard that before and the implication of it seems to be that if you own a sword that you're an automatic bad guy? I can't wrap my mind around that. I don't buy it.

I understand he who lives by the sword dies by the sword, the implication there is dont depend on them primarily, we have the Lord for that.

I've heard that before and the implication of it seems to be that if you own a sword that you're an automatic bad guy? I can't wrap my mind around that. I don't buy it.

I understand he who lives by the sword dies by the sword, the implication there is dont depend on them primarily, we have the Lord for that.
Things are different for you Edward.
I would call you a hobbyist along with a hunter.
Your ideas and attitudes would seem to be different than to others.
But an automatic bad guy?
I never said that nor would I.

There is perhaps another concept to consider regarding the sword good or bad thing. Japanese sword masters of times past would speak of satsujinken vs. katsujinken. Satsujinken is "the sword that kills", so far an obvious premise. But katsujinken is "the sword that gives life". How can a weapon give life? It's a very difficult concept, but it has something to do with an appreciation for life that is elevated even as one hones the ability to take it.

With respect to firearms, I can say that most people are surprised to learn that most hunters (I am not one, though I've owned a deer rifle) are animal lovers. They often have pets themselves, and routinely acknowledge a deep respect for the "spirit" of the animals they harvest. Weird, contradictory, but so true.

There is perhaps another concept to consider regarding the sword good or bad thing. Japanese sword masters of times past would speak of satsujinken vs. katsujinken. Satsujinken is "the sword that kills", so far an obvious premise. But katsujinken is "the sword that gives life". How can a weapon give life? It's a very difficult concept, but it has something to do with an appreciation for life that is elevated even as one hones the ability to take it.

With respect to firearms, I can say that most people are surprised to learn that most hunters (I am not one, though I've owned a deer rifle) are animal lovers. They often have pets themselves, and routinely acknowledge a deep respect for the "spirit" of the animals they harvest. Weird, contradictory, but so true.
Im pretty sure animals do not have a spirit or soul.

I feel like guns create as much violence as they eliminate so its kind of a wash owning one.
I bought and collected assault rifles because, after all the childhood abuse, I adopted Israel's policy of "Never Again" for my own personal policy. But when your own government together with powerful corporations unleash their power on you, you learn guns aren't going to stop all of them. I sold the vast majority of what I owned and gave up my Right to Carry. The Lord will have to protect us because I just can't fend off what they're doing by armed means. All we have left is a .357 sig Beretta pistol, a 9mm colt, a 20gauge and a few .22s my son owns.

.22s do come in a Magnum load, so maybe you can have the best of all worlds. .22 Magnum on the left, the noticeably smaller .22 Long Rifle cartridge on the right (I know of a former Navy SEAL who conceal carries .22WMR):

e122-1.jpg
I used to own a little .22 derringer like the one on the right. Very loud as the muzzle is right at your hand and it feels like an explosion is taking place right there in the palm of your hand. My front sight blew right off after several rounds. Not that you really need it though.

Things are different for you Edward.
I would call you a hobbyist along with a hunter.
Your ideas and attitudes would seem to be different than to others.
But an automatic bad guy?
I never said that nor would I.

No you didn't say that. But the way that some interpret that passage...that He was numbered with the transgressors...seems to be the implication of the interpretation of it.

Maybe those people who wanted to kill Jesus tried to show Him to be a bad guy, I'm not so sure that the apostles having a couple swords had anything to do with it.

I can wrap my mind around that. A defensive sword gives life by protecting the innocent.

I never bought into that mumbo jumbo about the spirit of the animal. I didn't drink any deer blood either. I can appreciate that the animal gave it's life so we can eat, but thats as far as that goes.

But when your own government together with powerful corporations unleash their power on you, you learn guns aren't going to stop all of them.....The Lord will have to protect us because I just can't fend off what they're doing by armed means. All we have left is a .357 sig Beretta pistol, a 9mm colt, a 20gauge and a few .22s my son owns.
True, but are we to sit on our haunches and wait on the Lord to do it or are we to use what He has given us already? In the US for example, we have the privilege, duty, and the right guaranteed us by our laws to cast our vote. We have a responsibility to get involved, learn who the candidates are and what they stand for outside of all the rhetoric and false rumors and make an educated decision. Our vote is far more powerful than any handgun, rifle, shotgun, sword, knife, or whatever we might own. As it has been said, "The pen is mightier than the sword."

I can wrap my mind around that. A defensive sword gives life by protecting the innocent.

I never bought into that mumbo jumbo about the spirit of the animal. I didn't drink any deer blood either. I can appreciate that the animal gave it's life so we can eat, but thats as far as that goes.
Of course, the animal didn't give it's life willingly, we took it. We can however give thanks to God for providing us with the food we need.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back