Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The lake of fire - Punishment ie torture or destruction

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What do you say of the scripture that describes Abrahams bosom?

The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.24So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
Even if he wanted he couldn't
“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

I do not believe Abraham ended up in prison. As in the spirits in prison. I dont know where those spirits were imprisoned until God hand in mind to redeem the by His Christ. But It doesn't seem to me such a place were Abraham was.

The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.24So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
Even if he wanted he couldn't
“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

I do not believe Abraham ended up in prison. As in the spirits in prison. I dont know where those spirits were imprisoned until God hand in mind to redeem the by His Christ. But It doesn't seem to me such a place were Abraham was.
That scripture proves there was a holding tank till the resurrection.

This kinda sounds like why bother with even trying to understand Scripture, if "4 well-credentialed biblical scholars" can't agree.

I don't think being "credentialed" is the point. It's obvious that at least 3 of them got it wrong, maybe even all of them. Of these 4 different views on the nature of hell, were all of them completely consistent with all the rest of Scripture. I suspect not.

btw, the main problem is with the English word 'hell'. That word doesn't exist in the Greek. Gehenna, a Greek word, is translated as hell, just as Hades is. So the problem is knowing what the Greek is referring to.

I fully agree.

:thumbsup

Since 'hell' is a poor translation when applied to different places, we need to stick with Greek words.

The fact is that the Bible does define the lake of fire. The final "residence" of all unbelievers and all fallen angels. And it's eternal.

I don't believe in a literal lake of fire. (no more than I believe Jesus is an actual door or God a fire breathing dragon!) And in the Bible, fire is for refining, testing. So there's lots of ways to look at it. I don't believe God is a sadistic monster and throwing people into a lake of fire to feel the torment that would bring is not consistent with a God whose very nature is love. There are lots of metaphors in the Bible and lots of word pictures. People can believe what they want because ultimately, it's just an inference one has drawn from reading. We all do this. And those that claim the HS gave it to them, well frankly I ignore them. We don't know most things. We know some things, very little. This is one subject that ought to be dealt with humbly and with care. People that speak as if they have the answers probably don't.

The lake of fire may be a real place or a metaphor as scripture gives no literal location, but is very descriptive as a place of outer darkness and torment and being eternal as all those people including Satan, the beast and the false prophet that are cast into it will be remembered no more.

The duration of punishment for the one cast into the lake of fire is everlasting. Isaiah speaks of the everlasting burning of the fire that shall never be quenched and of the worm which shall never die (Isaiah 33:14; 66:24). David said that some would awake unto eternal life and others unto shame and everlasting contempt (Daniel 12:2). John the Baptist and Jesus spoke of the unquenchable fire (Matthew 3:12; Mark 9:43). Paul the Apostle speaks of how the lost will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord (II Thessalonians 1:9).

The Apostle John says that the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever; and they shall have no rest day and night; and they shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever (Revelation 14:11; 19:3; 20:10). Jesus said that the lake of fire is a furnace of fire in Matthew 13:41, 42 and outer darkness in Matthew 22:13.

The fact that the lake of fire is eternal is plain from the following verses where it is described as:
1. Everlasting fire.......................Matthew 25:41
2. Everlasting punishment...........Matthew 25:46
3. Eternal damnation..................Mark 3:29
4. Everlasting destruction.......... II Thessalonians 1:9
5. Everlasting contempt..............Daniel 12:2
6. Torment forever and ever.......Revelation 14:9-11
7. Blackness of darkness forever.....Jude 13
8. Vengeance of eternal life............Jude 7
9. Lake of fire--forever and ever......Revelation 20:10
10. Second death--forever..............Revelation 20:14
11. Elements melt, earth and works are burned up.......2Peter Chapter 3

God gives us a description as in fire and brimstone which can be used literal as in Sodom and Gomorrah burned to ashes and as a metaphor for torment, suffering, punishment or as Matthew 8:12 describes it as outer darkness. The New Testament description is a bottomless pit (abyss) (Revelation 20:3), a lake (Revelation 20:14), darkness (Matthew 25:30), death (Revelation 2:11), destruction (2 Thessalonians 1:9), everlasting torment (Revelation 20:10), a place of wailing and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30), and a place of gradated punishment (Matthew 11:20-24; Luke 12:47-48; Revelation 20:12-13), everlasting fire Matthew 25:41, everlasting punishment, Matthew 25:46, lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Jude 1:7 clearly states an example of eternal fire. This is the same Greek word that is used for everlasting fire and everlasting punishment as used in Matthew 18:8 and Matthew 25:41,46 (Notice: The place, as no real name is given, where the unsaved go is everlasting punishment, and not everlasting punishing. The punishment is eternal in its results, not in its duration. Unquenchable fire is a fire that cannot be quenched or put out until everything in its path is burned up.

In my own minds eye I see the lake of fire as a place where those who have rejected God, whether they be good or bad people, burning in a torment (fire and brimstone could be a metaphor for torment) of having to see those who have heard the call of God and have accepted Him and now live in a place of paradise with all the fullness of God in all His glory. No more tears, no more hurts, pain sickness, etc, etc. Those in the lake of fire are outside the realm of God continuing in all their sin, sickness, hurts, pain tears, etc. etc., but can see those who are in the glory of the Lord like looking through a window and wanting what others have, but will never have it and this is their torment for eternity as they are constantly consumed with the fire that burns in their souls for what they have rejected and now to late to receive.
:agreed Jude 1:7 .. But some Christians told me ''not to worry'' there was no hell :shock:shock:shock ..

:agreed Jude 1:7 .. But some Christians told me ''not to worry'' there was no hell :shock:shock:shock ..

The subject of hell is so controversial among Christians as there are just to many opinions floating around and miss understood scriptures as it all leads to debating and arguing that really brings no glory to God. Anton Lavey was a piece of satanic work who will take his place in the lake of fire.

Why do people keep saying God is an unseen spirit?Did He not allow Mosses to see Him,and were we not made in His image?

Show me one verse which states the spirit has no end...
This is not difficult if the other person is willing to use their Good given logic and think when they read
Romans 8:11. Just ask yourself, Have I ever seen any Angels c of the LORD? They are here, walking us
Through this and we do not see them.

I wish there were no hell but there is according to the Word of God .. IMO there's too much on the line for me to take responsibility to say it is not true .. We must suffer persecution imo and warning folks of Gods wrath and hell is not pleasant all the time .. Jude 1:23 ..

I don't believe in a literal lake of fire. (no more than I believe Jesus is an actual door or God a fire breathing dragon!)
Of course, the Bible uses figurative language and metaphors.

And in the Bible, fire is for refining, testing. So there's lots of ways to look at it. I don't believe God is a sadistic monster and throwing people into a lake of fire to feel the torment that would bring is not consistent with a God whose very nature is love.
What do you think Jesus meant when He compared S&G to contemporary cities in Israel and said "it would be more bearable for S&G than" for the cities named?

Of course, the Bible uses figurative language and metaphors.

What do you think Jesus meant when He compared S&G to contemporary cities in Israel and said "it would be more bearable for S&G than" for the cities named?
Weeping and gnashing of teeth sounds pretty hot to me.

That's gehinnom.

Hell,is the best English word for the lake of fire.

Add tarturus,a sub section of hades.
Sheol has that lowest section for the worst in judaism
Actually hell can be grave, hades, lake of fire, paradise, or tartaris. The final hell is hell gehenah or lake of fire.

Actually hell can be grave, hades, lake of fire, paradise, or tartaris. The final hell is hell gehenah or lake of fire.
Poor usage,hades in the tanach is quoleth,sheol,in Hebrew a sheol isn't your grave .hades in greek myth is never your grave.

The last use of your definition is in Greek gehenna and whatever the term for lake of fire which is the dead Sea .it burns in its own because if sulfur and oxygen reaction.it was known to do that then and up to the late 1800s.

How would a soul have teeth? Or are the descriptions of after life suffering for those who die in their sins allegorical .
Jewish thought, using a term we can grasp to give an idea of something .ie
The Name of God.how exactly does a Being of inifitive measurement be defined and have a finite name? It's a title that describes how He acts.

Weeping and gnashing of teeth sounds pretty hot to me.
  1. I have always thought that it would be an empty dark place because every one of them will be at the Great White Throne and I tend to locate it in Heaven. Can you imagine the fiery rage, gnashing of teeth Eternity with out God will go on. I consider the Lake of Fire a metaphor and it not being a Salvic Matter, it does not affect our Salvation and God can jerk that knot out of our tails when we wrrive and straighten the whole lot of us up... finally.

Back