Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The New Testament Doctrine of Grace

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It brings salvation !

The Grace of God in the New Testament, brings salvation effectually to all men [all types and classes] and teaches them the Truth and to live the Truth.

Titus 2:

11For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

12Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

13Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Re: It brings salvation !

The Grace of God in the New Testament, brings salvation effectually to all men [all types and classes] and teaches them the Truth and to live the Truth.

I always find it interesting that Calvinists must add words to scripture[see brackets above] in order to conform scripture to their dogma.

I think I did respond, but my answer was that I don't know! Ha! :lol
Fair enough - I appreciate your honesty. For my part, I really do not know what to make of the text at the end of the chapter...

It could simply mean that salvation came to the gentiles through the death and resurrection of Jesus.
I do not see how this is a possble way to read the statement, along with other clear statements from Romans 11 that clearly assert that the "transgression of the Jew" has had salvific implications for the Gentile.

I am not sure how you take clear references to Jews playing a role in the salvation of Gentiles and read them as references to Jesus playing a role in the salvation of Gentiles.

Whatever it means, I don't think it changes the fact that God has alwayas wanted all men to repent and follow his will.
No one is denying this. But the fact remains - Paul clearly believes that the "hardening" or the "transgression" of the Jew plays a role in the salvation of Gentiles.

This is really clear beyond question, yet many people simply will not take Paul seriously (I am not suggesting you are one of those people).

I do not see how this is a possble way to read the statement, along with other clear statements from Romans 11 that clearly assert that the "transgression of the Jew" has had salvific implications for the Gentile.

I am not sure how you take clear references to Jews playing a role in the salvation of Gentiles and read them as references to Jesus playing a role in the salvation of Gentiles.

My reasoning is that Jews were responsible for crucifying Jesus, therefore, they made salvation for the world possible. Just a theory, I admit.

No one is denying this. But the fact remains - Paul clearly believes that the "hardening" or the "transgression" of the Jew plays a role in the salvation of Gentiles.

Actually, 5 points Calvinists do deny this. They claim that God has chosen some men for damnation and that he has no desire for them to be saved.

I agree, but in Romans 9 to 11, Paul is not simply using Israel as an example of this more universal truth. He is saying that God hardened Israel so that Gentiles can be saved:

because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles

You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in."
Granted.

This is more than simply saying "Israel is an example of the more general principle that God hardens people", it is a statement that the "hardening" of Israel is a central element of God's plan of salvation.

There, I have said it. I am quite sure that last cutie will elicit howls of theological protest.

Drew, I agreed with you on that quite a few posts ago with the caveat that what Paul wrote of was not just for Jews, but for any so hardened, as God still does that hardening in the exact same fashions. Sorry you missed it

And we do read differently on 'how' that happened and still happens in Jew or Gentile.

2 Corinthians 3:14
But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

THE VAIL COMES UPON THE MIND WHEN READING THE OLD TESTAMENT. GODS WORD BLINDS MINDS.

Re: It brings salvation !

I always find it interesting that Calvinists must add words to scripture[see brackets above] in order to conform scripture to their dogma.

Yes, The God I serve, the Teaching is that the Grace of God brings salvation. Not offer it. But brings it baby !

Titus 2:

11For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Salvation is active ! Bringing results, such as teaching !

12Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

do you know anything about that Kinda grace ? That brings salvation ?

The doctrine of grace my bible teaches is so far :

Given to us in Christ Jesus before the world began 2 tim 1:

9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

The word given is in the aorist passive, meaning we or us had been made recipients of this grace, before the world began.

Grace is Sovereign !

The New Testament doctrine of Grace teaches that Grace is more Sovereign than sin and death rom 5:

20Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Many today believe that grace will not save man from the ruins of sin and death, hence giving death the sovereignty over grace, which is quite unbiblical from the above passage here in romans 5 !:chin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back