Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Pope's book of insults

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

The Pope Francis 'book' of insults
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/19/the-pope-francis-little-book-of-insults/?hpt=hp_t4

Pope Francis and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI meet at the Mater Ecclesiae monastery at the Vatican last December.

In the year since Francis was elected Pope, the media have told us a certain story about this man “from the ends of the Earth,” as he once described himself.
Francis, we are told, is warm and friendly, gentle and compassionate. He embraces the poor, the disfigured, the outcast.

These attributes pose a sharp contrast, we are informed, to his mean-spirited, judgmental and arrogant predecessor, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, who was known for his fancy vestments and aloof, academic attitude.

If Francis has the common touch, the story goes, Benedict was firmly out of touch, perched on an ivory tower far inside the Vatican.

To many Catholics this media-driven contrast between the two Popes is laughable.

Benedict may have been unpopular with the world and many of its opinion-makers, but those who loved him as the Holy Father, who listened to what he said and read what he wrote, knew a far different man than is cruelly caricatured in the media.

We welcomed Benedict's theology and liturgical vision; and the hallmark of his papacy was a deep humility rooted in prayer. He was ever the gentleman. Even his criticisms of trends in modern society that run contrary to the church’s teachings on life, marriage and the family were delivered in courteous language.

And when Benedict did say something likely to be deemed offensive, he was often extremely careful about the way in which he said it.

In fact, he was much more careful not to offend than his successor on the throne of St. Peter.

Each Pope has his own teaching style, and it is obvious that with Francis, adherence to protocol and upholding custom is not his way. His strength is communicating parts of the Catholic faith in a simple, direct and visible way.

But bluntness is a double-edged sword, and some of his speeches and sermons have offended some of the papacy's biggest supporters. This, of course, counters the image of Francis as the “gentle, pastoral shepherd.” In sifting through media reports, I was shocked by how often the Pope criticized Christians and by the severity of his insults.

I felt inspired by conversations with members of the clergy to compile a compendium of papal invective, calling it, tongue firmly in cheek, “The Pope Francis Little Book of Insults.”

It is not a real book, of course. (This should have been obvious by the fact that I offered a 20% discount to anyone who directed one of the Pope’s insults at a bookstore cashier.) Rather, it's an online litany of the surprising and sometimes slashing one-liners in Francis' verbal arsenal.

Indeed, here's some of the names the Pope has actually called people: "pickled pepper-faced Christians," "closed, sad, trapped Christians," "defeated Christians," “liquid Christians,” "creed-reciting, parrot Christians," and, finally, those "watered-down faith, weak-hoped Christians."

Catholics who focus on church traditions are "museum mummies," the Pope says. Nuns who fail to inspire faith in the church are "old maids," and the Vatican hierarchy has at times been "the leprosy of the papacy," in Francis' words.

Indeed, men of the cloth face the brunt of Francis' fulminations. He has called some of them “vain” butterflies, “smarmy” idolators and “priest-tycoons.” He’s described some seminarians as potential “little monsters.”

The Pope didn't say these things just to insult people, of course. Rather, he was often making a larger point about the kind of church he wants to lead: open, merciful and unafraid.

But at the same time, some Catholics have felt alienated by Francis’s criticisms, as if they are under attack. In blasting the status quo, it can sometimes seem as if the Pope is slighting the most faithful members of the church.

To be honest, reaction to my satirical “Pope Francis Little Book of Insults” has varied.

Some readers are so amused that they want to see the book really published so they can buy a copy. Others are outraged that I could dream up something so “disloyal” to the Pope. (I am hopeful that our Holy Father has a healthy sense of humor.)

I am also hopeful that, over time, Catholics will become accustomed to this pontiff’s style of teaching, even if it contradicts the shallow media image of “Francis the Friendly Pope,” as one well-known website calls him.

Speaking of media, Pope Francis hasn’t left journalists out of the fun. In a recent address, he called them “fomenters of coprophagia!”

If you don’t know what it means, look it up. But whatever you do, don’t complain and be like “Mr. and Mrs. Whiner.”

After all, as Pope Francis says, nobody likes a “sourpuss.”

What does that mean ?

I'm not sure how he meant it, would have to hear the context he used it in. I'd sure like to know.

Back in around the 15th century, I think it was, there was a priest in France. He starting teaching about having personal relationship with God. He got in lots of trouble with the Roman church, especially when the nuns he was teaching quit going to confusion and doing their rosary bead prayers. He had taught they could pray straight to the Lord.
He was put in prison and one point and if I remember correctly eventually killed.
I'll have to try to remember where I read about him...

If I wasn't secure in the faith, this might actually bother me. If he had any true knowledge of the scriptures, he would know that every insult that leaves his mouth gets directed right back at him.

It's really a shame that the world sees him as a representative of Christianity.

What does that mean ?

It's like one of those subtle insults that old ladys do to each other. The spiritual equivalent of calling one a bean counter, lol.

I love those subtle old lady insults...Well, hi Gladys, nice outfit, I hardly recognized you. lol :confused:hysterical

Discussion of Catholic doctrine is limited and will only be allowed in the One on One Debate Forum and End Times forum only. RCC content in the End Times forum should relate to End Times beliefs. Do not start new topics elsewhere or sway existing threads toward a discussion or debate that is may be viewed as ‘Catholic’ in nature.

We will not allow RCC bashing that would be extremely unfair.. be careful with this thread... ADMIN

If I wasn't secure in the faith, this might actually bother me. If he had any true knowledge of the scriptures, he would know that every insult that leaves his mouth gets directed right back at him.

It's really a shame that the world sees him as a representative of Christianity.

Jesus made similar types of insults towards the Pharisees (Matthew 23:33). I don't know enough about the context of the pope's insults to support or attack his actions. Furthermore, I'm not trying to equate the pope to Jesus or making the claim that because Jesus insulted we have the right to insult. I don't, however, think that we can make a blanket claim that because that because the pope has insulted he must be in the wrong. I can only speak from an American, social context but it does seem that there is a lot of hypocrisy, materialism, etc... in the church and I imagine it is better to call it out then let it hide in the darkness. I don't think that every Christian in the church is a "watered-down faith Christian" and, while I don't know the context of the pope's statements, I doubt he was attacking every Christian in the church when he made such statements.

Discussion of Catholic doctrine is limited and will only be allowed in the One on One Debate Forum and End Times forum only. RCC content in the End Times forum should relate to End Times beliefs. Do not start new topics elsewhere or sway existing threads toward a discussion or debate that is may be viewed as ‘Catholic’ in nature.

We will not allow RCC bashing that would be extremely unfair.. be careful with this thread... ADMIN
I agree reba......their are Catholics on this messageboard.

Serious question:

What bible do the Catholics use? Do they have their own "Catholic" version, or is our bible, or what? I do not know.

Catholics usually use a Bible that contains a number of books that most protestant denominations would consider apogryphic (apogryphal? apogryph? Spell check doesn't accept either spelling but I guess you know what I mean... apogryphwhatever = non canonical).
However, the decision which books are canonical and which aren't has always been a bit arbitrary or simply tradition, so we gotta live with the idea that there's more than one correct version of the Bible.

The ritual of praying the rosary so many times in order to make up for sins. Which is a very rigid and shallow way of repentance.
I always thought repentance was doing the opposite of what one had been doing. An example Paul uses would be stealing. A show of repentance isn't just one who stops stealing, its one who goes further and gets a job, then gives to those in need.

How then is praying with a set of beads going to make up for sins, let alone repentance? Sounds like a bunch of religious rules to me.

Catholics usually use a Bible that contains a number of books that most protestant denominations would consider apogryphic (apogryphal? apogryph? Spell check doesn't accept either spelling but I guess you know what I mean... apogryphwhatever = non canonical).
However, the decision which books are canonical and which aren't has always been a bit arbitrary or simply tradition, so we gotta live with the idea that there's more than one correct version of the Bible.
You would have to lookup the Council Trent and you also take a look at the Council Of Hippo' if I can remember right it has been years.

I always thought repentance was doing the opposite of what one had been doing. An example Paul uses would be stealing. A show of repentance isn't just one who stops stealing, its one who goes further and gets a job, then gives to those in need.

How then is praying with a set of beads going to make up for sins, let alone repentance? Sounds like a bunch of religious rules to me.

As far as I know the rosary prayer originally served as a sort of meditational prayer. There's nothing wrong with that kind of spiritual exercise if you are the type of person that feels peaceful and closer to God through meditative repetition.
Anyway, the rosary prayer can also be a form of punishment/ penance/ repentance imposed upon after a confession or self-imposed if you caught yourself doing something you consider sinful. I guess in some cases a form of meditation on God can actually help overcoming sin, but in reality people would just perform that "penance" as a mere exercise or punishment without any real spiritual (let alone behavioural) consequences. People would say their five or so rosaries but mentally drift away after the second Hail Mary and be unmindful to their prayer or their sin.
But the mere idea of having said so and so many rosaries (or so and so many more rosaries than your brother has) can make people feel "holy" and justified without actually having to change their ways.

It's right that it's a bunch of religious rules. My friend who is catholic says he never got a rosary prescribed after a confession and many priests don't do it any more at all because it can be used as a cheap way out with no real repentance.
So if the pope calls his brothers and sisters "rosary counters" he's either saying that they either having a shallow and unspiritual prayer life (just counting rosaries instead of seeking God through that prayer) or have a holier than you attitude and think that the number of rosaries they do is equal to their level of holiness.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back