Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Warning in 2 Corinthians 11:1-4

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Enow

2 Corinthians 11:1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

So this also rebukes anyone that comes and preach "another" Holy Spirit to receive.

=Enow;569086]2 Corinthians 11:1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

So this also rebukes anyone that comes and preach "another" Holy Spirit to receive.
Actually, the above is not speaking of "another Holy Spirit". The word spirit here is in the context of false teachers, false apostles.

13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

The scope is that they listened to false teaching, but questioned that of the Apostle. They accepted some teacher who had come in his own name, but questioned Paul, notwithstanding he had a Divine commission. (taken from Word Studies on the Holy Spirit by E.W. Bullinger)

Actually, the above is not speaking of "another Holy Spirit". The word spirit here is in the context of false teachers, false apostles.

13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Let us really take this in context, and may God cause the increase as only He can give wisdom in understanding His words and applying them for discernment in these latter days:

2 Corinthians 11:1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

What is the simplicity in Christ? The following verse shows how any other preaching that defers from that simplicity can be seen.

2 Corinthians 11: 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

So the emboldened part of that verse is referring to any incident when a believer received another spirit which he had not received.

The "which he had not received" part means "it" cannot be the Holy Spirit if he had already received Him from before, thus he is receiving another spirit.

Thus I maintain that this applies to anyone teaching another Holy Spirit to receive again, thinking that this phenomenon he has expereinced is the Holy Spirit, but it is not because he had already received Him when he was saved.

By preaching to receive the Holy Spirit again is moving away from the simplicity in Christ of when and how we receive the Holy Spirit in the first place.

Let us really take this in context, and may God cause the increase as only He can give wisdom in understanding His words and applying them for discernment in these latter days:

2 Corinthians 11:1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. 2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

What is the simplicity in Christ? The following verse shows how any other preaching that defers from that simplicity can be seen.

2 Corinthians 11: 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

So the emboldened part of that verse is referring to any incident when a believer received another spirit which he had not received.

The "which he had not received" part means "it" cannot be the Holy Spirit if he had already received Him from before, thus he is receiving another spirit.

Thus I maintain that this applies to anyone teaching another Holy Spirit to receive again, thinking that this phenomenon he has expereinced is the Holy Spirit, but it is not because he had already received Him when he was saved.

By preaching to receive the Holy Spirit again is moving away from the simplicity in Christ of when and how we receive the Holy Spirit in the first place.

"receiving another spirit" - the Gk word for "another" is heteros which is: 1) the other, another, other 2) to quality i.e. another, one not of the same nature, form, class, kind, different

With the above definition, it is plain to see that "spirit" used in v.4 would be completely different, not of the same nature as the Holy Spirit. Each time "spirit" is used does not mean "Holy Spirit". There are evil spirits in the world. The context from 1-15 is speaking of those that teach doctrines that may sound good, and appear to be fair, that will deceive many. Just as the serpent deceived Eve through his subtilty, this other spirit will deceive from the simplicity that is in Christ. To add the word "Holy" to spirit in this context is not rightly dividing the word and it is adding to the word of God.

What's interesting is Paul says He that cometh in a futuristic sense is preaching a different Jesus and a different Gospel. Also the simplicty of Christ is the way to ward off deception. Love your enemies I find to be hard to ignore when seeking from which way the light is shining.

"receiving another spirit" - the Gk word for "another" is heteros which is: 1) the other, another, other 2) to quality i.e. another, one not of the same nature, form, class, kind, different

With the above definition, it is plain to see that "spirit" used in v.4 would be completely different, not of the same nature as the Holy Spirit. Each time "spirit" is used does not mean "Holy Spirit". There are evil spirits in the world. The context from 1-15 is speaking of those that teach doctrines that may sound good, and appear to be fair, that will deceive many. Just as the serpent deceived Eve through his subtilty, this other spirit will deceive from the simplicity that is in Christ. To add the word "Holy" to spirit in this context is not rightly dividing the word and it is adding to the word of God.

I understand your application, but do consider this in regards to the definition you had applied.

Is there another Jesus as in a different Jesus? But yet someone that comes that preaches another Jesus has to be preaching a different Jesus.

So if one preaches another Holy Spirit, they would have to be preaching a different Holy Spirit: and it is referenced how? By preaching another spirit which you had not received which is different from the Holy Spirit that you had received: and thus signifying that this another Holy Spirit is just a different spirit and not the Holy Spirit Himself.

I agree with you definition and the example of the application, but I applied it fully to the context.

What's interesting is Paul says He that cometh in a futuristic sense is preaching a different Jesus and a different Gospel. Also the simplicty of Christ is the way to ward off deception. Love your enemies I find to be hard to ignore when seeking from which way the light is shining.

I am not sure how you are applying that plumbline of loving your enemies, because loving your enemies means telling them the truth in keeping the faith which is the good fight.

One can love your enemies by compromising values as well as compromising the faith for the sake of an ecumenical unity. That is preaching another Jesus.

Hi Enow
What you need but DON'T have in II Cor.11 is the word "Holy" before the word "spirit".

Hi Webb:

Granted, but then what spirit had you received that would be different from when someone comes along that preaches another spirit to receive?

And if preaching another Jesus or another Gospel is in regards to differing from receiving salvation from Jesus Christ that comes with the baptism with the Holy Spirit: then how can they not be seen as preaching another Holy Spirit to receive?

=Enow;569187]I am not sure how you are applying that plumbline of loving your enemies, because loving your enemies means telling them the truth in keeping the faith which is the good fight.
Yes there are semantics and one can misconstrue a meaning by playing the lawyer with words. But the good fight is in fighting spiritual warfare for our weapons are not carnal but they are mighty. The Truth is love your enemies so that your love is not carnal based. So in other words, a false jesus would from his false cross say, "don't forgive them for they know perfectly well what they do".

One can love your enemies by compromising values as well as compromising the faith for the sake of an ecumenical unity. That is preaching another Jesus.
It is not Love to sell out one's faith in Love. I am not for trading God for religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Enow---The whole point is mute if none can be baptized with the Holy Spirit today.

I think you mean "moot", not mute. Irregardless, it is not moot if believers that have been baptized with the Holy Spirit by Jesus Christ at salvation are believing someone that is preaching that a believer can receive the Holy Spirit again... and after a sign, no less.

The underlined portion of the verse is differing the Holy Spirit which we had received at salvation to be differing from another spirit to receive thus indicative that one cannot receive again the Holy Spirit as if they had not received Him at all: thus the reference to another spirit which ye had not received would be just as applicable to preaching another Holy Spirit in the same application of preaching another Jesus.

And we did receive Jesus Christ at our salvation. So this another Jesus and another spirit is applicable to anyone preaching another Holy Spirit to receive.

2 Corinthians 13:5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Receiving Jesus Christ again or the Holy Spirit is a work that denies ever receiving Him in the first place and thus departing from the faith.

So there can be no more receiving the Holy Spirit again as it is a supernatural phenomenon that wayward beiievers try to make sense of fitting it into scriptures or inbetween the lines with their insinuations and assumptions when they should be using scriptures to test the spirits and not believe them by going with the flow.

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

It is utter hypocrisey when believers say that they know the Holy Spirit dwells within them but yet they are still asking for the Holy Spirit to come and fall on them anyway. That is like you being ordained as a preacher in the church and they acknowledge you standing in the pulpit, but the elders and the deacons and the whole church is looking for you to come to the pulpit no matter how many times you tell them that you are at the pulpit, but by looking for you and calling for you, they allow an impersonator to take your place at the pulpit in the worship service, glorifying him because he puts on a miraculous show of signs and wonders: taking the spotlight away from Jesus Christ and edifying them in the word of what you and the Holy Spirit in you was sent to do.

Yes there are semantics and one can misconstrue a meaning by playing the lawyer with words. But the good fight is in fighting spiritual warfare for our weapons are not carnal but they are mighty. The Truth is love your enemies so that your love is not carnal based. So in other words, a false jesus would from his false cross say, "don't forgive them for they know perfectly well what they do".

Expounding on your former post:

Granted the means of the fight is a spiritual warfare: but the fight is plainly keeping the faith.

2 Timothy 4:1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. 3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. 5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 6For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Preaching another Jesus or another Gospel or another spirit to receive is akin to preaching another Holy Spirit to receive and it is that deference that moves away from the simplicity of the Gospel.

It is not Love to sell out one's faith in Love. I am not for trading God for religion.

I thank Jesus for that as many cannot see that they are selling one's faith in love when the churches are engaging in ecumenical format with the RCC.

I thank Jesus for that as many cannot see that they are selling one's faith in love when the churches are engaging in ecumenical format with the RCC.
Ohhh, okay. I now see the cause of your passion. Hence you say I thank Jesus for that. Well said and I concur wholeheartedly, and I thank God for Jesus. The Faith is in that Love eternal seen at the cross. While everyone is saying "don't sin", it is the unbelief in such a True Love that empowers sin in the first place. What more can I give you to stoke the flame of your passion and encourage your confidence? Either Love is real or it is not.

I would say to you that to die in Christ is to know there will be those who will crucify you for preaching Truth to them. To take it personally is to lose sight of purity and be blinded by carnal thinking. This will happen until I am fully dead in Christ. So I must sincerely Love my enemies and forgive their attacks and rejections upon me. Pray for them and let not such hurts I endure be cast back at them, for God sees and it is between Him and I. Such is the life of a true Priest. Such is the life of those who see, for the blind can't help it. I suspect you already know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh, okay. I now see the cause of your passion. Hence you say I thank Jesus for that. Well said and I concur wholeheartedly, and I thank God for Jesus. The Faith is in that Love eternal seen at the cross. While everyone is saying "don't sin", it is the unbelief in such a True Love that empowers sin in the first place. What more can I give you to stoke the flame of your passion and encourage your confidence? Either Love is real or it is not.

I would say to you that to die in Christ is to know there will be those who will crucify you for preaching Truth to them. To take it personally is to lose sight of purity and be blinded by carnal thinking. So sincerely Love your enemies and forgive their attacks and rejections upon you. Pray for them and let not such hurts you endure be cast back at them, for God sees and it is between you and Him. Such is the life of a true Priest. Such is the life of those who see, for the blind can't help it.

Scriptures agrees with you as do I by His grace and by His help:

2 Thessalonians 3:1Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. 3But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. 4And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. 5And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 6Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;.....14And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

As much patience that the Lord has for us in following Him: we should never condemn any wayward brother or sister because He will not lose one: so even though many shall not be found ready to be received by the Bridegroom for the Marriage Supper, Jesus will finish His work even in those that were left behind at the pre tribulational rapture event because they will be restored to the path of righteousness for His name's sake as the foolish virgins will have oil for their lamps and the prodigal sons will be returning albeit missing out on their first inheritance: but as there will be weeping and ganshing of teeth, God will wipe the tears from the eyes of those coming out of the great tribulation to get them past their loss.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back