Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Things I know; things I don't know; things I know but a little.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
of course, but i also find that even though one is called not all he or she says is the truth doctrinally.

and often we are so biased its a good thing to look at the other arguments (non-salvinic in nature) of course.

Dear jasoncran, I am sorry; I apologize, I thought you were saying that I pray to statues. Rockie was the one who wrote that I promote infant baptism and pray to statues. I do not pray to statues, Rockie. You do not pray to the Bible, do you?
Let's be fairminded here, okay? Take care! God bless you. In Erie Scott

I could find no goo Protestant counterargument against John 15:26. Which is the main reason I believe Orthodoxy is preaching the whole Gospel, not just a partial truth, but all the truth (John 16:13). People who misunderstand the Orthodox Church or the Scriptures of the NT or of the OT, often misunderstand John 15:26 as well. How about you?
Have you read about the issue that split the Church into East and West in 1054 AD?
Scott, I haven't read all of your posts (maybe you've covered it elsewhere) but I'm curious as to your thoughts on John 15:26. Please don't give me a page out of your Orthodox commentaries. Tell me what it means to you.
Westtexas

Scott, I haven't read all of your posts (maybe you've

covered it elsewhere) but I'm curious as to your thoughts on John 15:26. Please

don't give me a page out of your Orthodox commentaries. Tell me what it means

to you.
Westtexas

Dear westtexas, I believe John 15:26 means just what Christ intended us to

know. He kept nothing from us. He revealed the whole truth in just one verse.

John 15:26. He says the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father". Period. That is

all He said. That much is clear. He did not choose at that time to say "and the

Son". And there must be a reason why He did not say it. Could it not be the case

that is obvious, that since Christ is The Truth, He was keeping nothing from us.

And so, the Holy Spirit does not proceed also "from the Son". That is clear. Even

if one does not become a person who agrees with all of the other Orthodox

teachings, on this point, one can agree with what they say about this in the

Orthodox Church. As with the whole NT, this verse is addressed to every

Christian, not just members of the Orthodox Church. Non-Orthodox Christians,

however, sometimes say "and the Son", and THAT is where the trouble begins.

:prayThey don't take Christ at His Word in John 15:26! In Erie Scott Harrington

Dear westtexas, I believe John 15:26 means just what Christ intended us to

know. He kept nothing from us. He revealed the whole truth in just one verse.

John 15:26. He says the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father". Period. That is

all He said. That much is clear. He did not choose at that time to say "and the

Son". And there must be a reason why He did not say it. Could it not be the case

that is obvious, that since Christ is The Truth, He was keeping nothing from us.

And so, the Holy Spirit does not proceed also "from the Son". That is clear. Even

if one does not become a person who agrees with all of the other Orthodox

teachings, on this point, one can agree with what they say about this in the

Orthodox Church. As with the whole NT, this verse is addressed to every

Christian, not just members of the Orthodox Church. Non-Orthodox Christians,

however, sometimes say "and the Son", and THAT is where the trouble begins.

:prayThey don't take Christ at His Word in John 15:26! In Erie Scott Harrington
say what? :chin
See what I mean, reading other people's opinions causes one to be confused.

say what? :chin
See what I mean, reading other people's opinions causes one to be confused.

Dear Rockie, Not at all. Trusting oneself as a competent guide to the Scriptures

means that one can find anything whatsoever that one wants to find in the Bible.

We ultimately need to believe what all other Christians have believed, and not to

make up new, strange doctrines on our own. Just sitting alone with one's Bible

isn't going to reveal the whole truth to one. One must search the Scriptures

daily, to see whether those things be so. But one needs an authority higher

than oneself. For this, there is the historic Church. It is just a question of

recognizing which Church that is, and listening to that Church. The Church of

the living God (1 Tim. 3:15). It is not the church of you and me as individuals.

It is called the Body of Christ, not the separate members of. Each of us must

ultimately trust some body, some group of other believers, and believe the same

doctrines as they do. We cannot make it alone. I don't want to get my

opinions from myself. I am too likely to err, and to fall into sin(s) and false

doctrines. Some qualified Christian men and saints need to show me the

proper way to read the NT (and OT) Scriptures. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

:pray:):)

Dear Rockie, Not at all. Trusting oneself as a competent guide to the Scriptures

means that one can find anything whatsoever that one wants to find in the Bible.

We ultimately need to believe what all other Christians have believed, and not to

the living God (1 Tim. 3:15). It is not the church of you and me as individuals.

Well, you need to read some more books then to figure out what John 15:26 really says.

Well, you need to read some more books then to figure out what John 15:26 really says.

Dear Rockie, So, do you know what John 15:26 says without reading a book? It is so simple, it wouldn't take much book reading. "which proceedeth from the Father" (KJV). "who comes from the Father" (NIV). Why then say "and the Son"? To see why some people say "And the Son", however, takes book reading, many books on the controversy. But the Orthodox Church stands with Christ in John 15:26 and lets the Bible reveal the truth in simple terms "from the Father". No private opinion. Just Scripture. And this is the only Scripture that tells about the procession of the Holy Spirit. No other verses say "and the Son". In Erie PA Scott Harrington

Dear Rockie, So, do you know what John 15:26 says without reading a book? It is so simple, it wouldn't take much book reading. "which proceedeth from the Father" (KJV). "who comes from the Father" (NIV). Why then say "and the Son"? To see why some people say "And the Son", however, takes book reading, many books on the controversy. But the Orthodox Church stands with Christ in John 15:26 and lets the Bible reveal the truth in simple terms "from the Father". No private opinion. Just Scripture. And this is the only Scripture that tells about the procession of the Holy Spirit. No other verses say "and the Son". In Erie PA Scott Harrington

But you are missing the entire point of that verse because of your denomination beliefs, Scott. Can you read it again and not focus on particulary WHERE the Spirit came from ? Instead focus on what it says.........

It is a scary thing to have someone telling you how to interpret the bible. The first time a christian reads the bible it should be without any imput from any human source, after a basic understanding of what is actually in the bible THEN it is safe to listen to what other have to say. This may sound strange, but I trust me with me more than I would trust any human that I know of. God taught me at a very early age to be completely truthful with the bible, if you have the Holy Spirit then just read the bible and God will guide you.

It is a scary thing to have someone telling you how to interpret the bible. The first time a christian reads the bible it should be without any imput from any human source, after a basic understanding of what is actually in the bible THEN it is safe to listen to what other have to say. This may sound strange, but I trust me with me more than I would trust any human that I know of. God taught me at a very early age to be completely truthful with the bible, if you have the Holy Spirit then just read the bible and God will guide you.

Amen Sam! This is the most sensible post in this entire thread. God tells us not to trust in the flesh and God will lead us into all truth. You said it well! :yes

Worth repeting

well now i see Rockie but thats ok pete and repete

Dear Rockie, So, do you know what John 15:26 says without reading a book? It is so simple, it wouldn't take much book reading. "which proceedeth from the Father" (KJV). "who comes from the Father" (NIV). Why then say "and the Son"? To see why some people say "And the Son", however, takes book reading, many books on the controversy. But the Orthodox Church
Scott, you still haven't given an answer except for to tell me what the Orthodox Church believes in this Orthodox/Catholic controversy. If Jesus says "I WILL SEND" tell me why YOU do not believe that the Paraclete comes from the Father AND the Son.
Westtexas

I came to the Lord at age 17, having no knowledge of what was in the Bible.

I asked the pastor for a good book to help me understand the Bible, he said to not even look for such a book for now. He told me to start my daily reading and let the spirit of God speak to me. He emphasized that I should not "try to understand every word, every doctrine, or even every parable - but to simply spend time in the Word each day.

I don't really like most "Bible Commentaries". I find great comfort in just reading the bible.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back