Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Things to Ponder

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
This was my thought at first but then I decided that I don't have to ask a question in order to process information. I can read, listen, etc. But I'm sure there is something that Edward will point out to me, as per his answer of "interesting".

Maybe it's one of the questions that don't have right or wrong answers. :shrug
It's a bit ambiguous, too, like, what exactly does he mean by "ask questions" and "answer a question"? Does that mean not being able to have any quesstions/ answers in your mind? Or not being able to communicate with people or with the world about questions/ answers? That would make quite a difference.

Here is another philosophical question to ponder. This was on my mind earlier today.

Why is psychotherapy so focused on our shortcomings and deficiencies, and aims at fixing our mental and behavioural processes, rather than helping us find a purposefull and meaningfull goal in life that would give us the strength to face and defeat our weaknesses?
Because I think the most people that accomplish to face and conquer their fears don't accomplish that because they want to *conquer their fears*, but because they have something in their lives that matters more than their fears and is worth the discomfort of facing one's inner enemy. Most people don't even need a shrink in order to go beyond what they thought possible, if only they have a good enough reason to take the risks.
So maybe psychotherapy focussing on processes rather than goals is totally doing it wrong?

The problem is a fundamental misunderstanding of what is missing in these individual's lives. Too often is it the case where they get their patients to believe that they can somehow overcome their condition, or illness either on their own or in concert with some controlled substance. As God has laid out time and again in the bible it is not without Him can we truly overcome many of these obstacles, but secular doctors will never consider this approach as men believe they can arrogantly "handle it themselves."

The problem is a fundamental misunderstanding of what is missing in these individual's lives. Too often is it the case where they get their patients to believe that they can somehow overcome their condition, or illness either on their own or in concert with some controlled substance. As God has laid out time and again in the bible it is not without Him can we truly overcome many of these obstacles, but secular doctors will never consider this approach as men believe they can arrogantly "handle it themselves."

Yeah, that's a God centered answer. :yes
Now I'd totally understand that some mental illnesses have some of their roots in a physical dysfunction. Like heavy depressions or schizophrenia. In such cases medication can be a life saver or a crutch they need in order to be able to put their mind on their soul's true purpose.
And I know that often some cognitive or behavioural training can help because sometimes we just put ourselves into a prison and think that prison is the real world.
But...
as a mental patient it always strikes (and frustrates!!) me how the professionals are soooo eager to speak about my difficulties and to dwell on my shortcomings and analyse my troubles, they make me feel soooo dysfunctional.
I imagine, if they'd focus on my strengthes instead and help me to find my destiny, then my problems wouldn't be gone, but I'd have something worth fighting for. And then I bet in two years from now I may have defeated most of what is troubling me now.
Humans need to feel purpose in their life. We find eternal purpose in God, but we also need to feel that what we do in our daily life (e.g. for a living or as a hobby in our spare time) is *our path* God has destined for us. (Non-believers may find different words for that, but basically it's the same for them: they need a motivation and a destiny rather than a profound analysis of their imperfection.)
Professional mental health workers really seem to have the wrong focus. :screwloose

Claudya:

Some very thoughtful comments on your part.

I agree that the God-centredness which brings so much into wholesome perspective is often absent among the counsel of psychotherapists.

Conncience too is an important aspect of things, often discounted by secular thinkers (unless, that is, some people wish to guilt-manipulate citizens into participating in whatever the latest, fashionable political scheme may be). Hebrews 9.14 speaks of the cleansing of the conscience through faith in the Lord Jesus Who, by the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, at the Cross.

Interestingly, much Roman Catholic theology, steeped in Medieval Scholasticism, lends itself to process thinking, so that even professing secularists, from a Roman Catholic cultural background, will often be inveterate process thinkers. (Let's not forget that Melanchthon, too, though Lutheran, was very much into Medieval scholastic thinking!)

On the other hand, many people from a Protestant (Reformed, Baptist, etc.) background will work a very great deal with definitions and their place in clear-skies perspectives, even if they are at least overtly secularist.

To some extent this also occurs in literary criticism. Traditions of textual commentary in North America, Great Britain, etc. sometimes differ from French-led notions of 'textual explanations' (whereby the original textual meaning and definitions often get lost in a process-driven infusing of the textual critic's own ideas).

There are, of course, plenty of exceptions to these generalizations.

...totally dependant on the Holy Spirit, for the Lord would search our hearts and see what is our question or what we needed to know!

Or pray, "Thank you Holy Spirit for giving me understanding and revelation of God's Word." We could do this because Jesus already said that He would teach us.:)

oranges? I can use oranges to make batteries and well I will never look at them the same again. the orange peel can be used to make power. manure is used to keep them fresh when they are picked

Speaking of manure, I have two things ponder.

Bananas are totally edible, even the skin. The reason the skin of bananas is not recommended to eat is because of monkey manure. Many times the bananas are piled under the tree where they grow before being loaded onto the truck, and are contaminated with it.

Manure has been used for fertilizer for hundreds of years (thousands??). Many times, it was loaded into a ships hold and in transit gave off methane gas which was the cause of some ships exploding and/or catching fire when the methane gas was inadvertently ignited. Because of this, they learned to stow it high in the hold for proper ventilation and to lessen the chances of fire/explosion. Manure containers were routinely marked Ship High In Transit.
and that's where the nickname for manure came from, the acronym for ship high in transit.

Can you imagine sailing on a vessel like this. If the endless days of sailing, salted beef, unleavened bread, and cheese don't drive you insane, the smell and constant buzzing of the flies would most certainly push you over the edge.

bananas are of two types that are used in food. planteen and the other. the former is used in cooking. only one species can reproduce all others are clones of the original tree.

wife made ice cream sundaes with them and aslo baked them. when I had a mixed tree of plantains and bannanas. it would produce when it wanted and sometimes it was taste was from the fertilizer I used. it made them have a citrus taste. very stringy yet not so stringy that it couldn't be boiled.

Yeah that looks like a lot of sweet delicious calories!

Hm I think plantains are called "cooking banana" (Kochbanane) here.

a banana tree can mix with a plantain. my tree was of that nature.it is now dead but I can get another. of course my wife will hate that.

Maybe the water heater is hot?
Like, you know, when a hot guy jumps into a lake, the lake's temperature rises?

Back