Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This Is Not About Tithing

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Rollo Tamasi

Warrior for Christ
Tithing.
It seems that the 4th commandment was replaced with tithing.
But this is not about the Sabbath or tithing.

This is about the church not teaching sound doctrine.

When I got saved, everyone said I needed to tithe (calling that 10 percent of my weekly income) to receive Gods' blessings, but no one could explain why we don't keep the Sabbath.

Their favorite verse is Malachi 3:10.

I don't care if they call it a tithe, and I now understand the Sabbath.

But what I read recently by the Assembly of God church is one of the many reasons why I left it.

Their rules say they can only receive donations and gifts.
But they tell pastors (it's in their rules) that they can use the term tithes and it is recommended that they use Malachi 3:10.

What? Do they really think we are that stupid?
The answer is yes, because nobody knows about the rules or know what tithing really is.

Nobody seems to care.?!

I guess I"m just venting, but why can't they just trust God and do things right?

Their rules say they can only receive donations and gifts.
But they tell pastors (it's in their rules) that they can use the term tithes and it is recommended that they use Malachi 3:10.

What? Do they really think we are that stupid?
The answer is yes, because nobody knows about the rules or know what tithing really is.
I was amazed at what tithing really was when I started reading the nullified, forbidden scriptures (the OT). You're right, they don't teach tithing the way it's taught in the law. They make it much harsher and practically condemn you for even thinking about consuming part of your own tithe.

Nobody seems to care.?!
I admit, I've been too afraid to speak up about it in the churches I've attended. I've already made enough waves by suggesting that evangelism is not the one and only mission of the church.

There really are lots of misguided rebels in the church teaching lies, but even sharing truth that goes against church tradition will get you branded as a blasphemous rebel. I've kind of come to the conclusion that it's not worth the pain. Shame on me? I don't know at this point.

Oh, and by the way...you can't go wrong with tithing. The point is, God pays back more than you give, whether it's 1%, 5%, 10%, or 30%. This being true, the idea was to give us the courage to be generous, not scared for ourselves and hardhearted as a result. Uh oh, feeling convicted right now.

My complaint is not with giving 10%.
It is with using Malachi chapter 3.
They teach the prosperity gospel.
And they actually tell us if we don't give the church 10 %, then we are robbing God and are under a curse.
They use fear tactics to extract money.
That's called false doctrine and that makes them false teachers.
That's what bothers me.

As a pastor's kid.....a pastor who had a 'paying job ' else where... which means his time was divided cant be at work and the hospital at the same time type stuff . Giving to the church one attends is very important...The Levits received income from the whole body of the Israelites. Per God.

having always thought the pastor should be paid according to the flock he serves.... ie the guy in Hollywood would be paid more then the guy in Podunk. The church buildding needs to be supported also ... heat, lights, cleaning, who mows the grass? so often in churches there are those who think the other guy should volunteer.

I know the AofG asks all the churches with in the org. to send tithes up the line... then the big wigs can take a vacation :) Churches today seem to have too much over head too much paper work....... wasted monies

Then we get to the TV beggars :shame

Thank you all for your replies but this really is not about tithing.
It's about false doctrine, deception, etc. in the church.

My complaint is not with giving 10%.
It is with using Malachi chapter 3.
They teach the prosperity gospel.
And they actually tell us if we don't give the church 10 %, then we are robbing God and are under a curse.
They use fear tactics to extract money.
That's called false doctrine and that makes them false teachers.
That's what bothers me.

That false teaching bothers me too and I teach the tithe principle.

"Name it and claim it" and "seed offerings" and "under a curse or under blessings" are so wrong to teach. These false doctrines appeal to human greed.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”
2 Corinthians 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

I believe that when we give as Paul states in 2 Corinth. we receive as in Luke 6.

2 Corinth being the spiritual principle behind the giving of tithes, alms, and offerings.
Luke 6 is the blessings that we see in Malachi that are not produced by the Law but by the Spirit working in a giving heart. "God loves a cheerful giver."

TV ministries can ask that we donate to help the ministry. I don't have a problem with that. But the way some of them go about it, is not scriptural at all. They have expanded their horizons to asking for seed offerings based in Feasts, etc.
I have been tempted to send them a big box of food stuffs, as that is the only tithe that was accepted as tithes and offerings at feasts, to the Levite. I don't see them as beggars but as promoters of greed. They encourage people to give with a greedy heart.

I am under Grace ... why should I tithe? I'd rather save for a house.

Some times it is about the grace we show to others

A slick answer deserves a slick comeback, very gracefully done :biggrin

Still, think I'll grace myself with the funds. To each his/her own right:thumbsup

I am under Grace ... why should I tithe? I'd rather save for a house.

God instructs those of us who live under grace "see that you also excel in this grace of giving."

The min. those under the law gave was a tithe (10%) two to three times per year. They gave almost 23.3% per year. How much do you think someone living under grace would give and God call it "excelling"?

Matthew 6

<sup class="versenum">19 </sup>“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust<sup class="footnote" value='[g]'></sup> consume and where thieves break in and steal; <sup class="versenum">20 </sup>but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust<sup class="footnote" value='[h]'></sup> consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. <sup class="versenum">21 </sup>For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

2 Corinthians 8

And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian<sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> churches. <sup class="versenum">2 </sup>In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.<sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">3 </sup>For I testify that they gave as much as they were able,<sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, <sup class="versenum">4 </sup>they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing<sup class="crossreference" value='(D)'></sup> in this service<sup class="crossreference" value='(E)'></sup> to the Lord’s people.<sup class="crossreference" value='(F)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">5 </sup>And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us. <sup class="versenum">6 </sup>So we urged<sup class="crossreference" value='(G)'></sup> Titus,<sup class="crossreference" value='(H)'></sup> just as he had earlier made a beginning, to bring also to completion<sup class="crossreference" value='(I)'></sup> this act of grace on your part.

<sup class="versenum">7 </sup>But since you excel in everything<sup class="crossreference" value='(J)'></sup>—in faith, in speech, in knowledge,<sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup> in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you<sup class="footnote" value='[a]'></sup>—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.

Oh I agree with you P31woman 100% I was just teasing, poking and prodding if you will, since tithing is both pre mosaic law and mosaic law. As is the subject of another topic some here may be familiar with ... I SMH

If only it were that simple to understand the graceful practice of other Godly deeds.

Oh, sorry allenwynne, I didn't mean to go in a direction that you hadn't intended with it. I'm just a big believer in is all. I've never really heard any false teachings on it, and people I have talked to about it, either have no clue about it, know and don't pay, or know about it and do it religiously do to speak.

While we are on the subject Edward, I don't have a problem with giving 10% to the local church. But tell me, what do Peter, Paul, James, and John have to say about tithing?

I consider it a trivial matter.

But let me tell you a short story.

A man is doing well and makes $3000.00 a week. Let's say he takes home $2000.00.
Now he gives his 10%, $300.00 to the local church. He's happy with that and his giving is over.

Now another man on the other side of town is struggling.
He has a family to feed and only takes home $300.00 a week.
He figures he can only afford to give the church $10.00 and he is happy with that.
But he has a neighbor who has less than that and he and his wife decide to give the neighbor the $10.00 and so he gave nothing at church.

Now from a biblical perspective, how does God bless each person?

The Parable of the Shrewd Manager

16 Jesus told his disciples: “There was a rich man whose manager was accused of wasting his possessions.<sup class="crossreference" value='(A)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">2 </sup>So he called him in and asked him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your management, because you cannot be manager any longer.’

<sup class="versenum">3 </sup>“The manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do now? My master is taking away my job. I’m not strong enough to dig, and I’m ashamed to beg— <sup class="versenum">4 </sup>I know what I’ll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses.’

<sup class="versenum">5 </sup>“So he called in each one of his master’s debtors. He asked the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’

<sup class="versenum">6 </sup>“‘Nine hundred gallons<sup class="footnote" value='[a]'></sup> of olive oil,’ he replied.
“The manager told him, ‘Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred and fifty.’

<sup class="versenum">7 </sup>“Then he asked the second, ‘And how much do you owe?’
“‘A thousand bushels<sup class="footnote" value='[b]'></sup> of wheat,’ he replied.
“He told him, ‘Take your bill and make it eight hundred.’

<sup class="versenum">8 </sup>“The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world<sup class="crossreference" value='(B)'></sup> are more shrewd<sup class="crossreference" value='(C)'></sup> in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light.<sup class="crossreference" value='(D)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">9 </sup>I tell you, use worldly wealth<sup class="crossreference" value='(E)'></sup> to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.<sup class="crossreference" value='(F)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">10 </sup>“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much,<sup class="crossreference" value='(G)'></sup> and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. <sup class="versenum">11 </sup>So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth,<sup class="crossreference" value='(H)'></sup> who will trust you with true riches? <sup class="versenum">12 </sup>And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?

<sup class="versenum">13 </sup>“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”<sup class="crossreference" value='(I)'></sup>

<sup class="versenum">14 </sup>The Pharisees, who loved money,<sup class="crossreference" value='(J)'></sup> heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.<sup class="crossreference" value='(K)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">15 </sup>He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves<sup class="crossreference" value='(L)'></sup> in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts.<sup class="crossreference" value='(M)'></sup> What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight.

-------------------------------------------------

There is no such thing as "giving is over" for the Christian. Everything we own or control is the Masters. Are we faithful is the question?

I personally feel as if it is a good practice. I have shown myself that tithing is still alive and well, and if one chooses to tithe, that God will still open his storehouse and pour out blessings upon you for it. His word will never pass away.

NT - upholds the meaning of the tithe, alms, and offerings

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

2 Corinthians 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

Now from a biblical perspective, how does God bless each person?

This is interesting, I have to say I don't really know for sure.

But I think from a Biblical stand point one thing we could consider is...

In Malachi, God said that to not give the tithe was to rob God of what was His.

By the same token in the NT, Jesus said that when we gave a cup of water to a thirsty man (only taking water as being literal) then we were giving it to Him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back