Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Very Unhappy Newlywed

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm very sorry to hear you are going through such tough times!
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint"
God does not want any of us to suffer, stress, loose hope, etc. However trials are a part of life and will make us stronger in the end. Many times in the Bible, God tells us to trust in Him and he will guide us and help us. Don't loose hope and don't give up on your marriage. HE has a plan for you that is better then you can imagine.

Watch the movie Fireproof
Get the book "The Love Dare" and do the devotional with your husband. Even if he dosnt seem interested. Even if he is just watching TV. Come into the room and read the devotional out-loud.
Remember, People Change, but Marriage can still last forever

I am truly thankful for everyone's response. I do understand that God hates divorce which is why I came here. That is not really want I want. I'd rather not reply to every assumption, however I will clarify that I do not feel abused. I feel that my husband does not respect our marriage and makes me feel as if he doesn't deserve me (in my mind, not vocal). I wished we had better communication.

I have studied the scripture written here today, "wives submit to your husbands as you love the Lord" , but what if I lose that faith in my husband to do so? We are not agreeing in many aspects due to some stubborness and lack of self control.

If he shall be won through my actions, then that is what I will do.
Thank you for the prayers and perhaps six months from now, things will be better at least that is what I pray for.

Hi Losingsanity... Thanks for giving the update. We see a lot of advice seekers come, post one post and then we never see them again. The fact that you came back shows that at least some of the things shared are of value to you and your situation.

I noticed several things in your update that I'd like to delve a little further into:

I have studied the scripture written here today, "wives submit to your husbands as you love the Lord" , but what if I lose that faith in my husband to do so?

You most likely will "lose faith in your husband to do so"... It would be too much of a generalization to say that all husbands will lose the faith of their wives in their ability to be the spiritual and household leader that God's wants them to be, but since husbands are human and humans are fraught with defects... it's a rare husband who doesn't have his wife lose faith in him sooner or later.

Then why would God make such a demand on wives, to submit to these fallible men?

Mainly because He never expects wives to put their faith in their husbands. Looking at the text more closely, "wives submit to your husbands as you love the Lord." It is in the Lord that we must place our faith to submit to husbands....even when it doesn't make a lot of sense. President's post regarding Sarah is a good example... there were probably many times Sarah wanted to pull her hair out over Abraham, but she submitted to him and in doing so helped Abraham carry out God's plan, not only for them, but for entire nations. The whole sorry scenario of Hagar and Ishmael is a cautionary example of what happens when we wives don't submit, but rather take the lead. Things that seem perfectly sensible and normal (and having a child via a surrogate of a maid was quite common in that place and time) can often be exactly opposite of what God desires us to do.

Secondly, you said this:
I feel that my husband does not respect our marriage and makes me feel as if he doesn't deserve me (in my mind, not vocal).

I also read your first post as well and one thing that came out crystal clear in your first post is that you definitely do not feel as if your husband deserves you. While you may never have said these words outright, it's clear your husband is picking up on the fact that you have lost respect for him and feel that he isn't deserving of you.

This very well could be what's keeping the communication on such a downward spiral.

The two of you were together for 2.5 years before marrying... obviously some things were good between the two of you, otherwise, why on earth get married?

If you loved him prior to your marriage to him, and he loved you, then you need to look at what has happened to cause a tight relationship of 2.5 years to come to the brink of breaking apart.

Some questions to ponder:
In the 2.5 years you were with him, did you never see the "his obnoxious and arrogant behavior" when around your family? Did he never belittle you and put you down during that time?

If he didn't, then the two of you really need to tackle what happened after your marriage...

However, if he did, then why did you ignore these major red flags? You said that you had issues prior to getting married, but that they were worked out. How were they worked out? Why can't the same methods be used to work them out now.

When couples are facing major hardships, it's normal to focus on the problems. It might be better to start with focusing on what it is that you do love about him... love so much that in spite of the issues you had with him for 2.5 years, you were still willing to marry him.

I'm not a mind reader and I don't know either of you... but it certainly seems probable, from reading both of your posts, that your husband has picked up on your disdain and sheer lack of regard for him and that is why he is reacting so negatively to you. If you try to recapture what it is that you loved so much about him that you were desiring marriage to him even in spite of your past issues, perhaps he will respond more positively to you as well.

Throughout all of this, keep focused on the fact that it is your faith in God (not your husband) that will carry you to a better place in your marriage.

It almost seems like I have to translate why my husband is being so disrespectful. I am not a victim because I have nagged about certain things such as chores around the home, keeoing his word on what he said he would do. Here is a valuable example of today. We hosted Thanksgiving and my mother was kind enough to borrow chairs from her job. He stated that after church we would return them. When it came time to taking the chairs back to my moms so they could be returned, he states that he was not going tonight. I said calmly, "but you said you would, i dont understand? U stated after church you would load the car up so they could be returned." He replies, "Well you were doing something else and i dont see why I have to take them back myself when we could do that together." Now here is where my frustration comes in because we should not be arguing about four folding chairs that need to be returned with just a ten minute ride.
I said that I wasn't feeling well and needed help and asked if he could just take them down to my moms. He says, "because that is your mom!"
It is not that he just did not feel like doing so, but that he didnt want to take them himself. I did tell him that he was behaving like a girl. No, it was not the right thing to say, but my expectations of helping someone out are far more executable and reasonable than what he belies. I dont ask for much and what I have noticed now that we are under the same roof is that he complains more about helping out than what I was used to growing up. My family had its moments, but we are close knit so it not abnormal to help someone. His on the otherhnd is slightly opposite.

I am in NO WAY trying to vent and talk badly about him, but I was asked for an example. I don't feel threatened or abused. I am not blind in this way that is why I only feel that he is not respecting our marriage. I have faith in the Lord and I will still pray and hope for the best. But honestly it really hurts because I wasn't raised to treat a person that way and I am trying to figure out what makes a person say something like that? It can't be all on me. I am not responsible for someone's actions.

When I mention self control, I mean the yelling and choice of words. I have yelled myself because I don't like the way he talks to me. I don't allow him to speak to me anyway and I feel like I always have to defend myself.
We fought about money because he felt like I was holding back from him. By holding back he thought that since we joined households when getting married that I should have extra money. I actually had to write out everything I paid on my own for him to have an illustration of my asset vs. debt ratio. He apologized because he didnt understand. I was hurt and made it clear because he didn't trust me. Why would I need to go through those measures. Obviously we didnt combine finances prior to our wed. but come on. I have never been that kind of person to use or take from others and he knew that. I guess he did not. It has always been my saying to have peace, love, and sanity before taking anyone for what they have.

He is in no way opting to handle the finances on his own. I have to be a contributor and we agreed based on our salaries and cost of living expenses. He is bringing up more and more that we make the same amount now so I shouldnt have any problem paying bills or getring out of the lease I have on my apt (he moved in) so we can get our house. I said are you listening to yourself? I have not heard that you will help with that either. I am suppose to ruin my credit because you want a deal on something now and ready to get it at MY COST?
I don't have a teammate, a companion, a spiritual partner anymore. I juat dont know what to do. I have to keep reminding him that the "I" and "my" statements is not aligned with thw idea of "us" becoming "ONE."

Am I quarrelsome? It is an everyday struggle because I dont feel like this is a person that would save my life unless there was something in it for him amd I am so serious when I say that based on what I have learned.

I can go on and on, but I am sure God has heard and I rely his guidance everyday.
Prayerfully, I will make peace with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said that I wasn't feeling well and needed help and asked if he could just take them down to my moms. He says, "because that is your mom!"
Ok, he has little character.

I am not responsible for someone's actions.
Ageed - only your's.

When I mention self control, I mean the yelling and choice of words. I have yelled myself because I don't like the way he talks to me. I don't allow him to speak to me anyway and I feel like I always have to defend myself.
He does not want a wife, he wants a subject.

I am suppose to ruin my credit because you want a deal on something now and ready to get it at MY COST?
Again, a subject, not a wife. :sad

I don't have a teammate, a companion, a spiritual partner anymore.
When did you? I mean, was he more of a team-player and partner before the vows?

...but I am sure God has heard and I rely his guidance everyday.
Prayerfully, I will make peace with this.
Remember He may GUIDE you, but He won't CHANGE things for you. God does not enter someone's mind and CHANGE them, and He won't do it to your husband, either.

My previous advice was to leave him and force him into counseling - based on your posts, I doubt he'd come to ONE session.
Sure would be a good thing if he did. But how are you going to get him to go?

Thanks for your prayer.
I do not mean that he shall be won as a magic wand to be won, but through my action of prayer that he will be. Sorry, if that was conveyed differently.
You have made some great points and it also confirms that Christ is still here with me because I feel hopeless in my situation. I have been through tough trials before so it does help to have that support.

We went to counseling last month which the counselor wanted to see us after we got married. It was the termination session. He would be open to counseling however, I am doubtful that it would help. It takes work and effort-unfortunately I feel alone in that effort.

He does not want a wife, he wants a subject.

I don't see a good case for that in what she wrote. It sounds like he may have other issues, though.

My previous advice was to leave him and force him into counseling - based on your posts, I doubt he'd come to ONE session.
Sure would be a good thing if he did. But how are you going to get him to go?

The Bible tells wives to submit to their husbands. It doesn't say for wives to give their husbands orders and ultimatums. It doesn't sound like she is in a life or death situation, either. The Bible also tells the wife not to depart from the husband. I don't see how the wife threatening divorce or separation if the husband does not submit to her as in line with God's word.

I wonder who made the idea popular of threatening of threatening to leave unless their was marriage counseling. I wonder if certain marriage counselors came up with that...marriage counselors who get paid to do marriage counseling.

I'm not saying they couldn't benefit from marriage counseling, but if she wants him to treat her kindly, talk to her kindly, have a sense of responsibility for her and home, and be ready to lay his life down on it, there are ways she can encourage him to grow in these areas without going loggerheads with him.

We went to counseling last month which the counselor wanted to see us after we got married. It was the termination session. He would be open to counseling however, I am doubtful that it would help. It takes work and effort-unfortunately I feel alone in that effort.
I know. My wife agreed to pre-marital counseling, but not post-wedding counseling. :sad

I give you a lot of kudos for staying with this discussion. God bless you. :)

I'm not a marriage counselor, but it is well known that both people need to be committed to it and not have a defeatist attitude for it to be helpful. From your comment here and the things you've already shared, it seems neither of you would bring the goods to the sessions. At the very least, you'd need one of you to have the attitude that this marriage WILL work. If neither of you are dedicated to making this work, then I don't see God being leaned on here, because He would be filling your heart with this desire. Only 6 months ago, you stood in His midst and made your vows. Six months ago, you couldn't live without him or he without you, and here you are, preparing the way to end it.

I'm not one to shame anyone who's been divorced. We're flawed people in a sinful world. But when I see someone who's in position to either make it work or cut & run, I have to say the second option should be your very last one. It sounds like money is a big part of the problem. Looking back, can you now say there were all kinds of warning signs that were outweighed by your desire to marry him? And here's a tough question for you alone to answer for yourself. Were you starting to feel like your inner time clock was running late? Was there pressure on your part (and I'm just talking about you because you're here) to get married instead of facing the possibility that you'd never marry?

All this is to ask this: When you got married were you sure he was the one? We're you in love with him when you got married?

And here's one more. Have you asked him how he feels about this marriage and if he's thought about what he'd like to do about it?

LosingSanity7

When I read posts from people having marriage problems, especially newly weds, I resist the urge to say, "Why did you marry him if you already knew that about him?" The reason is, the answer to the question usually isn't that helpful. You already married him, and the Bible says what God joined together let not man put asunder.

I also wouldn't worry whether or not he is 'the one.' If we all had one soul mate out there, and only one, custom made for us, then widowers and widows would not be allowed to remarry. The Bible does show that God can set people up, like Isaac and Rebecca, but it doesn't command us to only marry 'the one.' If you married him, and he's rightly your husband, he is the one. By 'rightly' your husband, I mean it isn't a forbidden marriage, for example with your brother or your dad, etc.

If you find after another six months of marriage, after you submit to him and treat him with respect, that your husband is still hard to be around, that doesn't mean you stop. You need to keep doing so 'till death do you part' since that is what the Lord requires. Sometimes the Lord uses difficulties in marriage to chisel away at Christians in His work of conforming them to the image of Christ.

Sometimes changes in your marriage partner can happen over many years. I can think of things in my wife that needed changing that the Lord changed after over ten years of marriage. My wife could probably tell you several things about me. She's probably got a long list of things she's waiting on the Lord to change about me, too. :)

Thanks for your prayer.
I do not mean that he shall be won as a magic wand to be won, but through my action of prayer that he will be. Sorry, if that was conveyed differently.
You have made some great points and it also confirms that Christ is still here with me because I feel hopeless in my situation. I have been through tough trials before so it does help to have that support.

Thanks for replying, and I pray that that sincere prayer gave you hope and strength.

And that part about a "magic wand" was not meant to directly attack you. I was addressing a common misconception about that verse, and I really dislike it when someone turns the Word of God into a "magic wand". Bit that is my issue, not yours

Let's talk about hubby a bit. I am not about to give an evaluation. However ALL strange behavior is caused by other factors. Some are known, others are unknown, or hidden deep in the recesses of our minds. For example as a 23 years-old, a spouse, and in college part time, I remember being hyper vigilant, and always on guard that "someone would get to me". As a result, I was a perfectionist, and the brain power that God gave to me I used it as a club against enemies real, or mostly imagined. I was NOT a nice person to be around. Inside me was a prevailing sense of rage. Thanks to godly counseling, I have been healed of that, and many other things.

Recently on TV, I saw several shows about the hell that the soldiers go through on their way back home due to the trauma of war. It is called PTSD or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Suddenly I saw a cause-effect of my emotional abuse as a child, and saw the same defense mechanisms that I used to "ward off the bad stuff" (abuse victims are always looking out for signs of abuse being dished out, and seek ways to get away) as the veterans displayed to cope with the stresses any hyper adrenaline rush they get in combat.

So you write this telling paragraph:
We fought about money because he felt like I was holding back from him. By holding back he thought that since we joined households when getting married that I should have extra money. I actually had to write out everything I paid on my own for him to have an illustration of my asset vs. debt ratio. He apologized because he didnt understand. I was hurt and made it clear because he didn't trust me. Why would I need to go through those measures. Obviously we didnt combine finances prior to our wed. but come on. I have never been that kind of person to use or take from others and he knew that. I guess he did not. It has always been my saying to have peace, love, and sanity before taking anyone for what they have.
To me it is obvious that trust is an empty space in his soul, as well as security. Finances and not keeping his word are only symptoms of the bigger issue: his control of some things gives him a false sense of security. That in turn is preventing him from taking his proper role as head of the house. He does not know how to do that, it has never been exampled to him, and he is untaught. It is not a nasty thing to state that he is ignorant in that ares.

Fortunately, education is the cure for ignorance. From your usage of the term, " asset vs. debt ratio" I intuit that you have had higher education, and perhaps a degree in the business/financial field. Because you have equal salaries, he also may be college educated. Therefore both of you are smart people who love each other deeply. It is unfortunate, but hubby is not using you as an asset in that area. How do you change that? You cannot. That is because you are a wife, and not a counselor.

Because I do not lay out a problem without offering hope and help, I believe that this group can do MUCH in the area of finances for both of you, and also open up areas where hubby is hurting, and let Holy Spirit speak truth to his inner man, and have Jesus Christ, our Healer take away those wounds of yesteryear. CROWN.ORG is a ministry started by the late Larry Burkette.

They specialize in working with couples in financial distress, but they go further than that. Through their small groups, their trained counselors can help deal with those underlying issues. Supposing that hubby does need further Biblical counseling; having gained hubby's trust in the financial area, hubby will be more receptive of a perceived need and direction of another person than he would if he heard it from you. He might perceive that as a rejection from you.

I urge you to look at that website when off work, then call to speak to someone who could guide you both in the best way.

What to do in the meantime? proverbs tells us that a soft answer turns away wrath, and it is my belief that your neighbors know about your disagreements because swear words are never stated in rational, quiet discussion. :lol No couple is immune, so I made the LOL smiley.

On one level, his yelling and swearing is a way to test you to see if you will feed into the things that caused him to be suspicious, and lacking intrust. As a result, you need to conscientiously avoid the bait, no matter how tempting it is to justifiably retaliate and defend yourself.

Take the opposite track and affirm him in a still, quiet and godly sense of who you are in Christ. You do not have to take any sort of yelling or abuse and your tone of voice as well as your words will determine if you throw quenching water on his fiery rage, or throw gasoline.

THAT IS THE PROPER THRUST OF "WIVES, SUBMIT UNTO YOUR HUSBANDS"

It is not a "dynamic dormatism" but rather a standing strong in the strength and armor of Jesus Christ Can you see the difference?

By retaliating and objecting with noise You are standing in your own strength, and you will fail. By standing in the strength and armor of Jesus Christ, you cannot loose.

So hubby gets loud, you HAVE to pray silently, asking Jesus to have Holy Spirit give you the words you need to say, and deliver them in a quiet, dignified way. It will not be easy, because you and hubby have doone this "dance" before, and immediately, he will know that something different happened.

he will want to return to the old ways (the big word for it is homeostasis) and he may intensify his efforts to return to the "normal-but comfortable and toxic" ways things were once were.

Rest assured that his outbursts will gradually extinguish as long as you stand firm in the strength of Jesus Christ, and not on your own.

Finally, there will be a time when you can talk to him about the wonderful things you found at CROWN,ORG and then he will be ready to hear from from you because you "passed his trust testing" with flying colors!

if you wish to contact me further about this or anything else, please contact any of the administrators telling them that I gave you permission to ask.for my email address. They know how to contact me.

LL7 this is a very long post, but I do pray that it speaks to you in your inner soul and quiets it. Scripture tells us to bear one another's burden. I hope I have, and I also pray that this post gives you a non-condemning path for you and hubby to travel.

But should not accept my advice in its entirety, I also pray that Holy Spirit will give you the wisdom you need to adapt it to your circumstance.

Here is why I say that:
James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed
May our God truly bless the marriage, and both of you uniquely.

These last two posts were good. I just want to clarify why I asked about your heart when you made your vows. When we feel blindsided in situations like this, all the onus is on the other person, so it's easier to call it "deception" and feel justified in walking away. Accepting that we in fact had a good idea of what we were getting into when the commitment was made properly makes us aware that we share the accountability.

President is right in that none of this changes the fact that you are married now, and what's done is done. Your obligation is to find a way to see this through rather than a way out. Trust needs to be built from the ground up at this point. That will take time and perhaps some financial guidance. In all things, I think it's valuable to have a Christian perspective. My wife and I have a financial advisor who's a Christian. This isn't to say everything he suggests is biblically wise, but there is a foundation there. I believe you could benefit from a good financial advisor who knows how the Bible speaks to financial matters.

When people are given more responsibility in the work place, often it inspires more thoughtful and responsible considerations. Maybe if you put more in his hands, he will respond accordingly. Of course, you should take precautions to avoid being used and swindled. Over time, perhaps both of you will come to trust each other more. I pray both of you do.

Hello. I came to this site hoping and praying to receive Christian advice on a troubled marriage. I have tried googling "immature husband", "unhappy marriage", etc. I just cannot do that anymore. ...
That's why I lived with my potential husband before we wed.
A person can put on a great show of it when dating, but until one lives with them to see the in's and out's and the up's and down's that life gives in the everyday 24/7, they won't see the real person who can otherwise assume a dating posture at will.
And very often after marriage even more things come out because now that mate see's the marriage license as a guarantee of ownership. Now they won't be alone and "you" (i.e. The impersonal reference, not you personally) , are seemingly stuck with all that they are for life. Just as the vows made you promise.

If the pain of the problem outweighs the pain of the solution you have a choice to make as to which pain you're willing to endure and for how long.

A marriage is between two different people. Both lived and experienced life to become who they are up to and including the moment they met one another. Your new husband isn't acting this way because he's married now. He's acting this way because this is who he is and was before you ever laid eyes on him.

Marriage takes two. If he's not willing to help make your marriage a happy healthy relationship you have to decide what your happiness is worth.

Don't worry about those who tell you God doesn't like divorce. God doesn't have to live with your husband. You do. God doesn't like to watch his daughter suffer under the control of one she doesn't deserve!

You're unequally yoked! If you suffer a man who refuses to change who he is comfortable being, you're going to lose the best years of your life. Compromising yourself in order to stay married because others tell you you have to for whatever reason, is easy to do for them. They don't have to live your life and experience your personal pain and agony. Before long you'll see the years passing by lightening fast. And when you start to go numb and can't remember who you were prior to all this, that's when you've lost a valuable part of your relationship to your own sense of self. No man is worth that!

While you're struggling to stay with someone you don't respect, you could be missing out on the man who's been looking for you as the woman of his dreams. And he being the man of yours. All because you thought to sacrifice yourself and tough out a situation that has one side, his, already telling you he's unwilling to do his part in making your life together better.

In short, get out.
The answer to a prayer in a bad marriage very often is Divorce. Thank God for that.

That's why I lived with my potential husband before we wed.
A person can put on a great show of it when dating, but until one lives with them to see the in's and out's and the up's and down's that life gives in the everyday 24/7, they won't see the real person who can otherwise assume a dating posture at will.
And very often after marriage even more things come out because now that mate see's the marriage license as a guarantee of ownership. Now they won't be alone and "you" (i.e. The impersonal reference, not you personally) , are seemingly stuck with all that they are for life. Just as the vows made you promise.

If the pain of the problem outweighs the pain of the solution you have a choice to make as to which pain you're willing to endure and for how long.

A marriage is between two different people. Both lived and experienced life to become who they are up to and including the moment they met one another. Your new husband isn't acting this way because he's married now. He's acting this way because this is who he is and was before you ever laid eyes on him.

Marriage takes two. If he's not willing to help make your marriage a happy healthy relationship you have to decide what your happiness is worth.

Don't worry about those who tell you God doesn't like divorce. God doesn't have to live with your husband. You do. God doesn't like to watch his daughter suffer under the control of one she doesn't deserve!

You're unequally yoked! If you suffer a man who refuses to change who he is comfortable being, you're going to lose the best years of your life. Compromising yourself in order to stay married because others tell you you have to for whatever reason, is easy to do for them. They don't have to live your life and experience your personal pain and agony. Before long you'll see the years passing by lightening fast. And when you start to go numb and can't remember who you were prior to all this, that's when you've lost a valuable part of your relationship to your own sense of self. No man is worth that!

While you're struggling to stay with someone you don't respect, you could be missing out on the man who's been looking for you as the woman of his dreams. And he being the man of yours. All because you thought to sacrifice yourself and tough out a situation that has one side, his, already telling you he's unwilling to do his part in making your life together better.

In short, get out.
The answer to a prayer in a bad marriage very often is Divorce. Thank God for that.

I am basing this reply onyour signature sign that says, "When you are weak, you lie, because you are not strong enough to tell the truth."

The truth of the matter is that no one gets blessed when that person, or persons seek to disobey God. God set up his rules for our future and present happiness, and not to make us miserable. Therefore the best approach IMHO is to have the young lady FIRST make sure that she is right with God. Then other tings will follow.

There is no issue of safety here because she said it herself. (Perhaps you did not read that post.) Therefore there is time and grace whereby the marriage can be reconciled. Their main issues are two fold: trust and finances, therefore they need to WORK (emphasis because it is hard work) to get back to what God has planned for marriage: a unity of two different people. I indicated that there is a Christian organization CROWN.ORG that is dedicated to the finances of the marriage, and they also want to work on the communication skills of the marriage.

Therefore, I believe that your judgment "You're unequally yoked! If you suffer a man who refuses to change who he is comfortable being, you're going to lose the best years of your life. " is not in keeping with the facts she gave. She says that she is a Christian, so her life is NOT her own; it belongs to Him alone. As a result, it is incumbent that she first trust the One who atoned for her sins before she look at any alternatives to her situation, difficult though it may be. Only if she becomes convinced that by getting godly council from godly people and that she is being god-honoring in the marriage, but hubby remains obdurate should a SEPARATION (not divorce) be contemplated, and that is so that EACH of them can pray and fast about the situation.
1 Corinthians 7: . 5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment
That is the Biblical way to handle difficult marital issues.

Dear sister, what you posted here "Before long you'll see the years passing by lightening fast. And when you start to go numb and can't remember who you were prior to all this, that's when you've lost a valuable part of your relationship to your own sense of self. No man is worth that!" has no basis in Scripture! No doubt it is due to the experiences you may have had, or with other sisters told you, so I will not say more except to say that it is sincere, but it is also sincerely wrong becaise divorce is extremely premature. Iit is much better a result if whe builds herself up in Christ, and seeks to wholeheartedly do His will, so that whatever happens, she will know who she is in Christ FIRST before she :knows herself with another man". If you have had a bad prior experience, or someone dear to you has, I extend my deep sympathies . I submit that to put Christ FIRST in all things is the only way to have true and lasting happiness. That is because Christ must be the foundation for everything we do.

When we look for a human to fulfill our needs, we become glandular, and seek the rush that comes from experiences to be fulfilling. It is short-lived, and often hides the real issues because they are repressed in moments of ecstasy. That is the way of the world, and not of Jesus Christ, Who loved you first, and gave His life that you might live if you trust him as Savior.

Just as true love waits, our True Lover Jesus Christ wants us to commune first with Him. Can you see the difference between doing things the way that God wants, and the way the world tells us to go? Please trust in God first... and then urge your sisters to do the same thing.

Okay. I apologize for coming into this discussion late, but if I don't weigh in my head is going to explode. Before I give my opinion (which, frankly, may rub some the wrong way), let me share my own personal history. *WARNING! I am going to be completely open, as I feel it's called for in this discussion. What I'm going to say may be offensive to some. So please, if open discussion of private matters is something you find offensive, skip toward the bottom of this post.*

I've been married for 8 years this coming January. Up until a year ago, my wife had several affairs, a total of 13. No, I'm not exaggerating. We've separated 3 times because she wanted to live with them instead of me. The first affair, she had me take nude photos of her for what she said was a packet she was putting together for me (it was 2 days before Valentines Day, and 4 weeks after our anniversary). In truth, she had me take the photos of her so she could send them to the man she was talking to, and the very next day she took me to work before going to pick him up and bring him to our house for - well I'm sure you know. Then she sought out an old boyfriend for the express purpose of sleeping with him one more time. She started seeing man #1 again for a few weeks. We worked through it and all was well for a time. Then we had a large fight brought about because I took exception to the fact she refused to do anything around the house, screaming at me when I didn't do it despite my 50 hour work week and the fact that she didn't work outside the home. She began seeing another man then, and during the same time had a random hookup with someone she met at her regular pub, as well as sleeping with her best friend's husband one night in a drunken stupor. There were a couple others during this time when we were split up. Then we moved back in together, were pregnant with our 2nd child in a matter of a few weeks, and a few weeks later she began talking to a friend of mine who helped run a website with me. They conspired for her to leave me and raise our child as theirs. She horded money for groceries and bills, sold my iPod touch, Xbox, and anything else she could to save her money (I found this part out later). She told me about a women's retreat for a church that she was dying to go to as it was in Florida. After arguing for weeks I finally gave in and told her she could go. In truth, she took the money she horded and took a bus to Texas where she stayed with my friend for nearly two weeks, showing me pictures of the two of them as soon as she got home.

A few months later that was over, our 2nd daughter was born and things were going well again. Then just last year, there were two more men she had met on Facebook. One was a one night stand and the other became a relationship for a month or so, as well as a repeat with one of her affairs a couple years previous. Then she started talking to "Michelle", a friend she used to know from church (so she said). For 3 months, she argued with me and fought with me to let me allow her to spend the night or the weekend with Michelle, despite the fact we only had one car which she would be taking, and couldn't afford the gas as "Michelle" lived an hour away. 3 months later, when I found a letter from her to someone talking about how she couldn't wait to spend their rest of her life with him, and she loved his blue eyes (my eyes are hazel), I finally learned that "Michelle" was actually her former boyfriend from almost ten years ago, Michael. She left me and our 2 daughters to live in a motel room with this man for 2 months. The weekend of Halloween she and I slept together when she came down to have the girls at her father's house. She finally left him a few weeks later when he turned abusive, and wanted to reconcile with me. Only this time there was a very real problem. She was pregnant.

Being unable to afford a paternity test, I lived in utter fear for the entire pregnancy, praying desperately for God to make this child mine. It wasn't until my son was a few weeks old that I finally began to see that he is in fact my clone, even sharing a peculiar feature on his pinky toes that are unique to the men in my family. Today, of course we still struggle, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that we are stronger now than we ever have been. Why? Because God made it so. Why? Because we let Him!

Now you may be asking why I stayed with this woman through so much betrayal and heartache, through so many sleepless nights and so much despair. The answer is simple, I know that God hates divorce. I know that His will, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR MARRIAGE LOOKS LIKE NOW, is for your marriage to work and to be the best that it can be. Now I apologize in advance because I feel I'm about to offend some people, but I frankly don't care. It needs to be said, and I'm going to say it.

Some have said you don't need to worry about those of us pointing out that God hates divorce, and asking what your happiness is worth. Those people have perverted the Word of God and the Spirit is not with them. Show me a place in the Bible where it says our lives are going to be happy and perfect, that nothing is ever going to go wrong, that we are going to have everything we ever want and never have to suffer a bad day to get there. You're not going to find it. You will, however, find several Scriptures that tell you you're going to suffer in this world, but that it will be WORTH IT. Show me one person called by God who had an easy life. There's no such thing.

I have to be honest, with several of your comments and your overall tone, I almost feel like you're seeking reassurance that it's ok to leave your husband more than advice on how to make your marriage survive. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but that's the impression I'm getting. Furthermore, I think you can hardly say you've "done everything" if you've been married only 6 months. I sincerely apologize as I don't seek to offend and I don't want to seem overbearing, but there is a very simple answer to your problem. The only question is whether you will implement it or not.

Anyone with a shred of wisdom regarding marriage will tell you it's a commitment. It's a job. It's hard. It is definitely NOT all sunshine and roses. You have to wake up every single day, look in the mirror, and make the decision that you're going to make your marriage work NO MATTER WHAT. You cannot let your emotions dictate your marriage, because the heart is evil above all measure, and we are called to lead our heart. You do that by making the decision to do so and following through on that decision. If you're not willing to do that, not only will this marriage not survive, but when you find "the man that truly deserves you", that marriage will suffer a similar fate. I'm not being rude, I'm being truthful. There's no such thing as someone who deserves you. There's no such thing as someone who deserves me. Human beings, by our very nature; are cruel, selfish, vile, UNWORTHY creatures. If we weren't, we wouldn't have needed Christ to give His life for the remission of OUR sins.

Also, I sense that perhaps you've put a time limit on how long you're going to "try" to make it work, as you've said "six months from now" a few times. A marriage has only one time table - until death. Period. I may be wrong about feeling you've installed a time-table, but again that's the impression I'm getting.

You simply cannot pray for something for six months, or even six years, and then give up. You have to remain steadfast. Period. God's timing is NOT our timing. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:9 (ESV) It's simply not enough to "try" for awhile and then walk away.

I'm here to tell you today that God CAN fix your marriage, God WANTS to fix your marriage, and God WILL fix your marriage! But you have to let Him do it! And you have to realize that the chances are He's not going to do it the way you think He will. God rarely does things the way we expect or want Him to, but He makes them happen, and He makes them happen for our benefit.

I am not a prophet. I can't tell you specifically what God has in store for you and your husband. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that one thing He does not have planned for you is divorce. That is never a part of the plan. If you don't think that the Lord can take the most horrific, heart-wrenching, unbearable scenario imaginable and turn it into something incomprehensively beautiful and glorious, then you don't know the Lord as well as you should, and you need to ask Him to show you that.

I have a happy marriage today because I spent years in utter misery, clinging with true and sincere desperation to God's Word, and to the hope and the promise that He would restore my marriage. And guess what? He did just that!

If your husband won't go to church, go yourself. If he won't go to counseling, then go yourself. He won't make an effort to change his ways, then change yourself. I don't mean to imply you're at fault or that he's not. I simply mean we are all a constant work in progress. If you change yourself, you can set the stage for a change in your marriage. But why should you if he's not going to do the same?

Marriage is NOT a 50/50 scenario, like so many would have you believe. That is a lie that came directly from the pits of Hell. Marriage is and has to be a 100/100 scenario. You can't settle for going halfway and waiting on him to meet you there. You have to be willing to go all the way to where he is, if that's what it takes.

I hope you're still reading, sister, and I hope you can see through the harshness of my words to the love and truth they contain. I am living proof that a miserable, decrepit, "how can they even stand the sight of each other" marriage can be made whole, and made wonderful. But that's the key. It has to be made wonderful, it won't simply "be" wonderful.

I love you, sister, and I sincerely hope and pray that you will stay the course, that you will continue to pray and to believe, and that you will not simply throw up your hands and walk away. And I apologize once more if I've come across in any way negative, but as I think you understand after reading my story, the very idea of marriage is very dear to me, and it is something I take very seriously.

I realize you don't know me from Adam, as the saying goes, but I want to encourage you. Please, if for some reason you are unable to get the services of a professional or of someone from your own church, I would be honored to encourage, speak, and pray with you. Or find someone more qualified than myself. I don't care. Do something! Learn how to give this to the Lord, and watch what He will do with it! Marriage is difficult, it can be a chore, but nobody ever said it was easy. They just said it was worth it. Take it from me, dear sister, it is!

May the Lord bless you and your family, and may His glory be known through miraculous works He is preparing to do in your life! In Jesus' name! Amen!

I have to be honest, with several of your comments and your overall tone, I almost feel like you're seeking reassurance that it's ok to leave your husband more than advice on how to make your marriage survive. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but that's the impression I'm getting. Furthermore, I think you can hardly say you've "done everything" if you've been married only 6 months. I sincerely apologize as I don't seek to offend and I don't want to seem overbearing, but there is a very simple answer to your problem. The only question is whether you will implement it or not.

Anyone with a shred of wisdom regarding marriage will tell you it's a commitment. It's a job. It's hard. It is definitely NOT all sunshine and roses. You have to wake up every single day, look in the mirror, and make the decision that you're going to make your marriage work NO MATTER WHAT. You cannot let your emotions dictate your marriage, because the heart is evil above all measure, and we are called to lead our heart. You do that by making the decision to do so and following through on that decision. If you're not willing to do that, not only will this marriage not survive, but when you find "the man that truly deserves you", that marriage will suffer a similar fate. I'm not being rude, I'm being truthful. There's no such thing as someone who deserves you. There's no such thing as someone who deserves me. Human beings, by our very nature; are cruel, selfish, vile, UNWORTHY creatures. If we weren't, we wouldn't have needed Christ to give His life for the remission of OUR sins.

Also, I sense that perhaps you've put a time limit on how long you're going to "try" to make it work, as you've said "six months from now" a few times. A marriage has only one time table - until death. Period. I may be wrong about feeling you've installed a time-table, but again that's the impression I'm getting.

You simply cannot pray for something for six months, or even six years, and then give up. You have to remain steadfast. Period. God's timing is NOT our timing. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:9 (ESV) It's simply not enough to "try" for awhile and then walk away.

I'm here to tell you today that God CAN fix your marriage, God WANTS to fix your marriage, and God WILL fix your marriage! But you have to let Him do it! And you have to realize that the chances are He's not going to do it the way you think He will. God rarely does things the way we expect or want Him to, but He makes them happen, and He makes them happen for our benefit.

I am not a prophet. I can't tell you specifically what God has in store for you and your husband. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that one thing He does not have planned for you is divorce. That is never a part of the plan. If you don't think that the Lord can take the most horrific, heart-wrenching, unbearable scenario imaginable and turn it into something incomprehensively beautiful and glorious, then you don't know the Lord as well as you should, and you need to ask Him to show you that.

May the Lord bless you and your family, and may His glory be known through miraculous works He is preparing to do in your life! In Jesus' name! Amen!

You may not be a prophet, but your life has been the life of Hosea. Have you considered changing your screen name?

You present many issues here, and I want to partly address two of them, because they are crucial; both concern your wife,and both are paramount in importance.

One significant issue is the area of your wife's calling. Is she as sure of her calling to be the wife of a person in the ministry as you are of your own call? If not, that is a HUGE area that needs to be discussed. Otherwise you are heading for a ministerial/personal/financial/moral disaster. All in the ministry have a bulls eye painted on their backs, and the children are especially vulnerable. Because your wife lived the life of Gomer, the wife of Hosea, I believe that she is particularly vulnerable, perhaps more so than your children. Take it from someone who has been there, and done that, that there will be times in ministry when everyone seems to be against you. At those times, even if your assurance of calling is unshakably strong, you will the wife to come alongside, and bind up tour wounds. The ministry requires the hide of a rhinoceros, and the heart of a dove.

Another equally significant issue you both haveis trust. Long ago, each of you saw a wonderful person with whom you wanted to spend a lifetime. You married. Then all hell broke loose in your marriage. EACH of you need to learn how to be the help-meet for each other, and that requires a rebuilding of trust. While the area of counseling is an option, it can be expensive, and I do not recommend it for you at present. The answer will eventually be obvious, but it is premature to do so now.

Years ago, we went to the Roman Catholic Marriage Encounter. It is an intense, 48 hours-long weekend that gives you tools to communicate on the deepest level without any distraction of children. There are other expressions of Marriage Encounter; we were team couples ina a Mennonite expression of Marriage Encounter. properly done, Marriage Encounter is a Bible study on what God has created marriage for, and instructions you get there will help you practice good marital health. In addition to being able to communicate better, you will be able to rediscover your love for one another, and then to fully trust the other. After the serial adulteries of the wife, there are deep trust issues that you legitimately have, and they CAN NOT be glossed over, or else they fester and erupt like Vesuvius at the most inconvenient time and place.

These are foundational issues, and there are other steps that I believe that you both need to go through before you seriously contemplate going into the ministry. I will deal with them later. These are big steps, so first concentrate here, OK?

In another post, you quoted the ridiculing emotional abuse your parents gave to you when you told them of your call into the ministry. You were correct in establishing boundaries. When your parents do that again, there are several tracks to take to blunt the force of their evil darts. In no particular order, they are:

"Mother/Dad in the name of Jesus Christ, I reject what you are saying, and I will not let it effect me." When said quietly, and when standing in the authority of Jesus Christ, it makes you extremely powerful in the spiritual realm, HOWEVER be prepared for a negative, more
infuriating response because it comes from demonic forces.

"You know, Mom/Dad I did many foolish things as a teen, and later, some of which you will never know about, but thanks to Jesus Christ healing me, and redeeming me, I am no longer like that. Isn't that a GREAT (enthusiastically say it) TESTIMONY of the grace of Jesus? . Since Jesus did that to me, He can do it to ANYBODY" This is called "spiritual jui-jitsu", where you take an attack, and turn it into a praise testimony for Jesus. And when the name of Jesus Christ is raised up, Holy Spirit can draw that "anybody" to Jesus.

The third way to deal with that abuse is to leave. Wakl away. Vote with your feet. "Mom and Dad, we are adults here, but it is only wife and I who are accountable before God for what we do to, or teach our children. Because I take that very seriously, I can no longer take your behavior of verbal abuse and (describe the action) Therefore in obedience to God, we all must leave, and we will leave now. When you can respect me and wife as being responsible adults with a family we will be happy to return, but Under God, I can not sit idly by and have you destroy my family with your words.

In each of those situations calmly state your position, then just as calmly act on it. Of course there will be nasty words flying, but if you maintain your calm demeanor, and quietly repeat like a broken record what you are doing, things should go smoothly. If things escalate, do not hesitate to call 911, and let the police do their job.

ALWAYS leave the door open to reconciliation, but do NOT go blindly back into the same trap as you had before. Find ways to avoid the old homestead; it is the position of power for mom and dad, and they can continue abusing there. Go out to a restaurant, or firehouse dinner, or whatever. That is where no one can misbehave, and no one will have the "right" to abuse you further.

Hopefully with these suggested actions, you will see how important it is to have the wife 100% on your side, with no wavering. If mom and dad see her waffling on something, they will try to use that wavering to "get to you" and "bring you down". That is the aim of abuse. Stand strong in Christ, my friend; we can do that because the victory is the Lord's victory because He defeated Satan at the cross and Resurrection.

Ordinarily, I would steer this back so that the focus was on the OP who was seeking advice. If she returns to the conversation, we can get it back, but she hasn't been involved in a while. That said, we can discuss this topic in general for the sake of discussion.

I do want to stress the need for advice coming from a Christian perspective to be biblically sound. Advice to live together prior to marriage in order to gain experience in living with a future spouse is not biblical. That's called fornication, and it is against the will of God.

The wisdom of the Lord can be seen in the ineffectiveness of this approach. It doesn't prepare any two people for the life lived as one, because everything changes when the two are faced with the reality that every decision fully impacts both people and there is no walking out.

This brings me to my second objection with what I've read by one person. It is not biblical to advocate for abandoning a marriage, except, arguably, when there is infidelity. This is a Christian-based message board, and advice implying that our own happiness supersedes any vow taken before God is not biblical, shouldn't be given, and should be dismissed by the reader. God desires that we live life abundantly, but this abundance is experienced by abiding in Him; not in seeking our own gratification.

In short, there will be no promotion of sin. Fornication and disposable marriage vows are sins in the eyes of the Lord and thus, of this site. Do not promote either of them.

Thank you.

This is a Christian-based message board, and advice implying that our own happiness supersedes any vow taken before God is not biblical, shouldn't be given, and should be dismissed by the reader. God desires that we live life abundantly, but this abundance is experienced by abiding in Him; not in seeking our own gratification.

In short, there will be no promotion of sin. Fornication and disposable marriage vows are sins in the eyes of the Lord and thus, of this site. Do not promote either of them. .

I hope you don't mind if I add a hearty AMEN!

Maam, I want to preface my comments by saying I can relate to your situation with regards to not feeling treated as "we deserve" but with that said here is my advice and what I endeavor to do - live to please God. If Jesus told us to love our enemies and slaves to obey their masters then we (husbands and wives) can and should endure a spouce or others who do not do as they should. I am not talking about dangerous situations but if someone is just driving us bonkers and hurting our heart then through the tears we go to God and set our face like flint and detetmine to do what pleases Him above what seems right to us and then we trust Him to remedy the situation - and He will. When we read 1 Corinthians 13 we see that love is about others. It is easy to love those that are treating us right - it's when others are not treating us right that we show what our character is. You stick in there and love him like he is a good husband and watch what happens. This idea is seen in 1 Peter 3:1 Be strong saint - marriage is a God ordained institution and it is always pressured from the outside. God Bless (ps. No greater joy ministries offers some helpful marriage stuff)

Back