Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
angel unto the Lord, in jewry that is known as el shaddai and the angel metatron. both are considered to have the Name of God in them. thus for reverence GOD.

I'm sorry Jason, I just don't understand a lot of what you say because I'm totally unfamiliar with Jewish thinking. Could you please explain so that this dummy can understand?

most Hebrew scholars say whenever they have number with yom its day in length. remember that the Hebrews based their shabat on that seventh day. for in six days god created the heavens and the earth. that is what moses was told. so its taken as six days.

yes you are correct, but this general rule applies to when the number precedes the word day, and in this phrase "day one" that is not the case...

yes you are correct, but this general rule applies to when the number precedes the word day, and in this phrase "day one" that is not the case...
I will have to have to ask about that. most translate that as..

but literally?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+1&version=YLT

you just negated the yec position. we know that cant be because of the command of shabat. chassidics take the date of creation literally in their calendar and so the others.

I'm sorry Jason, I just don't understand a lot of what you say because I'm totally unfamiliar with Jewish thinking. Could you please explain so that this dummy can understand?
ok, the angel unto the LORD. the angel with the sword that visited Joshua before he would do battle with Jericho, the el-shaddai? as in the EL-shaddai. a name of GOD, the great provider!. metatron is the taldumic name for the angel of the Lord.

Hi Chopper,
I'm currently in chapter 40 of my year long study of Genesis with my class at Church, GOM or the Grumpy Old Men's Class. By this time I'm sure that, just about, all here know my position on never trying to be large enough or wise enough to pretend we can interpret the Word other tan from one language to another. My first rule of Hermeneutics is, "No verse, nor any group of verses, can ever be understood without the light of all other scripture sinning, unrestrained, on it or them." My position on the Gap Theory begins with, the Bible does not teach it, therefore, with no legs in scripture, it cannot stand.

Reba has done well in tying the beginning of John into sequence with the beginning of all scripture. As I have been given to understand, Genesis, is beginnings in meaning and I, being a Life Application teacher find the title's meaning of great worth to any serious follower of God. In the past I have studied this and discussed it with other teachers, some of them speaking or understanding the ancient languages and they have, almost, universally agreed that the first title used in Genesis is a plural form of the ancient term for God.

I feel that the improper application (my honest opinion and not up for rgument here) of inserting the Gap Theory between verses one and two is. most, often due to the failure to read the text and then to meditate upon it. As I have learned, there was a word used for what we term a day age at the time of Moses recording these passages, given to him, directly from God. God, being all knowing. certainly, did not use the incorrect term. And then there is the education of the man chosen to record these words from God, Moses was one of the best educated men of his era. Moses was being raised to be the Egyptian God seated on the throne and received only the very best of everything, leaving it to be very, very, unlike he would use the wrong term. We must remeber that this passage was not carried around, verbally, for thousands of generations nor years. Moses wrote things down on the first form of paper and on anima skins.

Thank you my old warrior buddy, please continue to share your wealth of knowledge with us. I really appreciate the facts that you have learned over the years of study and teaching.

I see the idea of light as interesting, why? because jesus said it. light is the concept when God moves and darkness in this part is where god didn't move. we see that in the torah and in the prophets and also in the nt.

Wow, I like that. light is the concept when God moves, and darkness is when He doesn't. Very good, I'll remember that.

Wow, I like that. light is the concept when God moves, and darkness is when He doesn't. Very good, I'll remember that.
that is why I don't like trying force genesis into an anti-evolution debate. we miss the simple poetic use and meaning.

I believe the ancient Egyptians had an idea of man evolving from an ooze and I do know they have real similar account of creation and a flood account as well. it may be that genesis one was to correct the errors of being in Egypt for so long.though surely moses heard it by oral means or direct revalation. we don't know. I say orally and direct revalation in that he had god tell him write the account.

ok, the angel unto the LORD. the angel with the sword that visited Joshua before he would do battle with Jericho, the el-shaddai? as in the EL-shaddai. a name of GOD, the great provider!. metatron is the taldumic name for the angel of the Lord.

Thank you Jason, that helps very much. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you Jason, that helps very much. I appreciate your patience.
the scary thing is how blind the jews are to all this. yet their sages will say that it does point to things that we Christians say and most of those sages were before Christ.

In these five verses we find the second day completed and the third begun. (Again, it is important to remember that the only God, the God that knows everything is having this recorded by, IMHO, the most educated man in the world, at this time.) So we are, by definition, between 24 and 72 hours out of the initial premise of the creation. Before we fail to pay enough attention to the, growing in popularity, Gap Theory let's look back and forward at once. There has been no time (time and space are created by our Timeless God for our lives to be measured in) for a damned to extinction humanoid race to have grown up, producing a wife in Nod for Cain. Important to have this stick now.

Now, some of what has been declared empirical science, is proven. God raised the Dry Land, not lands, and divided the waters. Science has discovered that the pieces of the dry lands of the Earth fit, rather neatly, together. We will see, later on, that all the descendants of Adam and Eve lived in one city until God confused the language and sent them to the far ends of the earth.

An atheist, such as I once was will point out the rate, at which, the plates of the planet move at, making my thesis here incorrect. But, remember, the devote atheist has nothing to do with any god, let alone to do with God. God is not, nor has He ever been, anything less than The Omnipotent God of all. God creates the earth in one seven day period for a reason that will be seen later but He could have completed all of creation in much less time than it takes us to read, "In the beginning..."

Life Application here? If God can raise, perfectly dry land from the bottom of the seas, is there anything, bad or good, that God cannot separate from us?

In these five verses we find the second day completed and the third begun. (Again, it is important to remember that the only God, the God that knows everything is having this recorded by, IMHO, the most educated man in the world, at this time.) So we are, by definition, between 24 and 72 hours out of the initial premise of the creation. Before we fail to pay enough attention to the, growing in popularity, Gap Theory let's look back and forward at once. There has been no time (time and space are created by our Timeless God for our lives to be measured in) for a damned to extinction humanoid race to have grown up, producing a wife in Nod for Cain. Important to have this stick now.

Now, some of what has been declared empirical science, is proven. God raised the Dry Land, not lands, and divided the waters. Science has discovered that the pieces of the dry lands of the Earth fit, rather neatly, together. We will see, later on, that all the descendants of Adam and Eve lived in one city until God confused the language and sent them to the far ends of the earth.

An atheist, such as I once was will point out the rate, at which, the plates of the planet move at, making my thesis here incorrect. But, remember, the devote atheist has nothing to do with any god, let alone to do with God. God is not, nor has He ever been, anything less than The Omnipotent God of all. God creates the earth in one seven day period for a reason that will be seen later but He could have completed all of creation in much less time than it takes us to read, "In the beginning..."

Life Application here? If God can raise, perfectly dry land from the bottom of the seas, is there anything, bad or good, that God cannot separate from us?
:amen

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven." 2 Corinthians 12:2a NIV

This Scripture suggests that God created more than one heaven.

An interesting allegory to this is that when God said in Gen 1:3, “Gen 1:3 “Let there be light: and there was light.” Now God is the light gone forth into the world. This light is not new for God always was without beginning, but has now come forth to dispel darkness; who or what was the prevailing darkness? Satan?

Now this light is certainly not the sun and the moon created in Gen 1:16, but as Jesus called Himself a light in Joh 9:5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world, and us being light in Mat 5:14. Is God’s love let loose at this early stage of creation?

"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." Genesis 1:2 NIV

So there was no light at the surface in 1:2. Super thick cloud cover? Maybe something similar to Venus's cloud cover today?

Genesis Day One.
1:1-5 "In the beginning God" Elohim, is a plural noun in form and three in essence.
God — the name of the Supreme Being, signifying in Hebrew, “Strong,” “Mighty.” It is expressive of omnipotent power; and by its use here in the plural form, is obscurely taught at the opening of the Bible, a doctrine clearly revealed in other parts of it, namely, that though God is one, there is a plurality of persons in the Godhead - Father, Son, and Spirit, who were engaged in the creative work (Pro_8:27; Joh_1:3, Joh_1:10; Eph_3:9; Heb_1:2; Job_26:13). (Used by permission E-Sword)

Regardless of what science imagines how the earth and everything in it came about, the Bible teaches us that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were the creators of creation.

There is great emphasis that we put on God creating out of nothing, not just remodeling, but creating NEW! When God created, He spoke with His voice what exists.

"Without form and void" Thomas Chamlers (1780-1847) In 1814 he was the first to mention that there was a gap between verse 1 and 2. He places a pre- Adamic age. Some great catastrophe took place and ruined it. There are quite a few theories of a cosmos prior to this account of creation. My teaching has always been, if our Lord wanted us to know about this, He would have instructed us in His Word.

Praise the Lord for the light! Light I feel is Holy! Light dispels darkness. Day and Night is the official Biblical 24 hour, per day. At the "beginning" it was important to establish how many hours in a day. This would establish our day count for months and years.

Evening and Morning were the first day.

This is important to understand that the Sabbath began in the evening on Friday, [approx 6:00 PM] as every day begins at this time.

JLB

Genesis 1:1-5 KJV
Pro 8:1 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?
Pro 8:2 She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.
Pro 8:20 I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:
Pro 8:21 That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
Pro 8:22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
Pro 8:23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

Pro 8:24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.

The 'I' in these verses is wisdom speaking, the wisdom of God.

Is the Spirit of Wisdom [Holy Spirit] a She?

JLB

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Gen 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Question? What work did God end on the seventh day? Creation? God ended His work or didn't do any work? Is there an ongoing work of God, or did He just throw up His hands and say enuff? Ain’t going to do no more work today! Satan’s in his place, men afraid to stray, the sun’s in its place, no need of rain; I’m just going to lie around heaven all day; nothing can go wrong huh? Is there an eighth day acoming?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back