Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think much of the prophecies connected to Judah are obvious to most readers, how they are the prophecies about Jesus the Christ. Such as Him being the Seed, the strong vine, riding on an asses' colt.
verse 12, I think can be seen also in this verse in Isaiah...
YLT
Gen 49:12 Red are eyes with wine, And white are teeth with milk!
Isa 55:1 Ho, every thirsty one, come ye to the waters, And he who hath no money, Come ye, buy and eat, yea, come, buy Without money and without price, wine and milk.

We know in the NT the new covenant is referred to as new wine and the first principles of the gospel to milk for 'babes' and gospel also as 'strong wine'.

EDIT: Like babes cutting their first teeth on the white (pure) milk of the Gospel of Grace.

Last edited:
I think much of the prophecies connected to Judah are obvious to most readers, how they are the prophecies about Jesus the Christ. Such as Him being the Seed, the strong vine, riding on an asses' colt.
verse 12, I think can be seen also in this verse in Isaiah...
YLT
Gen 49:12 Red are eyes with wine, And white are teeth with milk!
Isa 55:1 Ho, every thirsty one, come ye to the waters, And he who hath no money, Come ye, buy and eat, yea, come, buy Without money and without price, wine and milk.

We know in the NT the new covenant is referred to as new wine and the first principles of the gospel to milk for 'babes' and gospel also as 'strong wine'.

EDIT: Like babes cutting their first teeth on the white (pure) milk of the Gospel of Grace.

Deb, you added some very good thoughts. Thank you so very much.

Earlier in this study, this statement was made (about a page ago):

This is an important statement of Jacobs. Ephraim is destined to become the family line that Messiah comes from. Later on we will see a change and why.

This blessing bestowed on these boys is what we would call the birthright of Abraham passed to Isaac, then Jacob who is now blessing them. I remember reading that his name would be upon them.

This last study rightly stated Messiah would come from Judah. However, I don't see any change or any reason why here. Jacob is merely blessing each son of his, and giving them a prophecy about themselves. In this case, Judah was to be the ruling tribe, and is nothing per se, to do with changing the blessings to Ephraim and Manasseh.

Hey thanks Jason, I didn't know that and have wondered where the name Jew came from.
its also mentioned in Daniel. where the term jew is first used. remember then a jew was from the kingdom of Judah, to wit: either living there as he could be a levite, and other tribe but the land designated is the tribes of Judah and Benjamin.

Earlier in this study, this statement was made (about a page ago):

This blessing bestowed on these boys is what we would call the birthright of Abraham passed to Isaac, then Jacob who is now blessing them. I remember reading that his name would be upon them.

This last study rightly stated Messiah would come from Judah. However, I don't see any change or any reason why here. Jacob is merely blessing each son of his, and giving them a prophecy about themselves. In this case, Judah was to be the ruling tribe, and is nothing per se, to do with changing the blessings to Ephraim and Manasseh.

I apologize for this statement that I made. I did have a statement that of the change. That's the problem with studying so much information preparing for this study. For now lets say that I was wrong in posting that Ephraim was the Tribe of Messiah. Clearly Judah is. I will continue searching for that info.

Day 135 Wednesday 9/3/14 Genesis 49:13 Zebulun.

Gen 49:13 "Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of the sea; and he shall be for an haven of ships; and his border shall be unto Zidon."

Because I'm going fishing for the day, I am posting what Matthew Henry had to say about this verse.

I. Concerning Zebulun (Gen_49:13), that his posterity should have their lot upon the seacoast, and should be merchants, and mariners, and traders at sea. This was fulfilled when, two or three hundred years after, the land of Canaan was divided by lot, and the border of Zebulun went up towards the sea, Jos_19:11. Had they chosen their lot themselves, or Joshua appointed it, we might have supposed it done with design to make Jacob's words good; but, being done by lot, it appears that it was divinely disposed, and Jacob divinely inspired. Note, The lot of God's providence exactly agrees with the plan of God's counsel, like a true copy with the original. If prophecy says, Zebulun shall be a haven of ships, Providence will so plant him. Note, 1. God appoints the bounds of our habitation. 2. It is our wisdom and duty to accommodate ourselves to our lot and to improve it. If Zebulun dwell at the haven of the sea, let him be for a haven of ships.

Day 135 Wednesday 9/3/14 Genesis 49:13 Zebulun.

Gen 49:13 "Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of the sea; and he shall be for an haven of ships; and his border shall be unto Zidon."

Because I'm going fishing for the day, I am posting what Matthew Henry had to say about this verse.
Nothing like an ol buddy around to count on... :thumbsup

its also mentioned in Daniel. where the term jew is first used. remember then a jew was from the kingdom of Judah, to wit: either living there as he could be a levite, and other tribe but the land designated is the tribes of Judah and Benjamin.

It might depend on what translation you use but in the ESV, the word "Jew" is first used in the book of Esther.

Now there was a Jew in Susa the citadel whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, son of Shimei, son of Kish, a Benjaminite, who had been carried away from Jerusalem among the captives carried away with Jeconiah king of Judah, whom Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had carried away.
(Esther 2:5-6 ESV)
It appears 7 more times in the book of Esther, but based on a word search on Bible Gateway, the word "Jew" doesn't seem to appear in Daniel at all.

The TOG​

It might depend on what translation you use but in the ESV, the word "Jew" is first used in the book of Esther.

Now there was a Jew in Susa the citadel whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, son of Shimei, son of Kish, a Benjaminite, who had been carried away from Jerusalem among the captives carried away with Jeconiah king of Judah, whom Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had carried away.
It appears 7 more times in the book of Esther, but based on a word search on Bible Gateway, the word "Jew" doesn't seem to appear in Daniel at all.

The TOG​

Young's Literal Translation says Jew in Esther as well...This is from Strong's and e-sword
H3064
יהוּדי
yehûdı̂y
yeh-hoo-dee'
Patronymic from H3063; a Jehudite (that is, Judaite or Jew), or descendant of Jehudah (that is, Judah): - Jew.
H3063
יהוּדה
yehûdâh
yeh-hoo-daw'
From H3034; celebrated; Jehudah (or Judah), the name of five Israelites; also of the tribe descended from the first, and of its territory: - Judah.

The TOG​
ok, i remember it incorrectly. but its a pejorative.

Nothing like an ol buddy around to count on... :thumbsup

Ain't he great? My goodness, Matthew Henry, his commentary was the first one that I purchased back in the 70s. I learned so very much from his writings. It seemed that every time I checked other men's writings on a subject that Mr. Henry wrote on, others said the same or close to it.

Day 136 Thursday 9/4/14 Genesis 49:14,15 Issachar.

Gen 49:14 "Issachar is a strong ass couching down between two burdens."
Gen 49:15 "And he saw that rest was good, and the land that it was pleasant; and bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant unto tribute."

Now, Issachar is a name that I can identify with. His Tribe is a country Tribe. I'm a country preacher. Dr. MacArthur said of this Tribe, "They were an industrious, robust, hardy, and stalwart Tribe." They lived up to Issachar's name which was "man of wages."

The Tribe of Issachar was content to live quietly in the farm land, away from the busy, hurried life style of the cities. They had two responsibilities, attending to the soil or agricultural business, and paying taxes. Rest at home was his pleasure, where others were fit for war, being soldiers. or Sailors fit for the sea. This Tribe was fit for farming at home in the serene meadows, and farm land at home. You say, "farming? That's a lot of very hard work, yep, that's where the title of a donkey comes in. Donkeys are a slow but steady, strong animal fit for hard work. I've know a lot of farmers being a country preacher. Farmers are usually not in a hurry, they are relaxed, and a hardy bunch of people. They go about their labor so that they and others have milk and food.

Because these Tribes were sojourners, they were apparently responsible for paying tribute, or taxes to Egypt or any other Nation that they found themselves. Issachar lived between Zebulun and Dan's boarders. It may be that the taxes for all three were paid for by Issachar's produce on the market.

Day 137 Friday 9/5/14 Genesis 49:16-18 Dan.

Gen 49:16 "Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel."
Gen 49:17 "Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward."
Gen 49:18 "I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD."

Dan and his descendants will have both positive and negative attributes. Apparently they will have a snake like behavior, and also judge the people of Israel, as well as other Tribes. "Dan shall judge." The Hebrew word for Dan is "judge" (a play on words). This Tribe would judge in the Nation but would not be known for moral actions or faithfulness to Jehovah.

A prime example is Samson. He stands out as the hero of Dan's Tribe, IMO. Samson judged and delivered Israel out of the hands of the Philistines.

An introduction to idolatry in Israel was thru the Tribe of Dan. See Judges 18:1-31. We see them taking items of idolatry from the house of Micah.

The analogy of a serpent who lies in the wheel ruts, or on the middle of a well traveled dusty road where horse and rider, or horse and wagon would travel quite regularly, would bite the hoofs of lower legs of the horse which would bring the horse down along with the rider. Sneaky was the snake and sneaky was Samson to trick the Philistines, and bring them down, especially at the end of Samson's blind end.

Finally, exhausted from the mental activities, as well as sitting up to bless his boys, Jacob pauses to catch his breath and summon more strength to continue, issues this statement, "I have waited for thy salvation, O LORD." It seems to me, a plea for more strength to continue and his hope of finally reaching his final rest, in a City not made with hands.

I apologize for this statement that I made. I did have a statement that of the change. That's the problem with studying so much information preparing for this study. For now lets say that I was wrong in posting that Ephraim was the Tribe of Messiah. Clearly Judah is. I will continue searching for that info.

tim-from-pa, I didn't want you to think that I have forgot or side-stepped your question. In 48:19 the words "shall become a multitude of nations" had a Messianic sound to me. Somewhere I read an author who said that because Ephraim was treated as the firstborn, the line of Messiah would follow. But, later on, God rejected them in favor of Judah. (Psalm 78:67-71).

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back