Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
:oops This study is not about Dan! It's about Gad!

Day 138 Saturday 9/6/14 Genesis 49:19 Gad.

Gen 49:19 "Gad, a troop shall overcome him: but he shall overcome at the last."

The descendants of Gad settled in the region of Gilead which was East of the Jordan River. Their hostile neighbors attacked with raiders. In time, the Danites became skilled in warfare and was able to fend off these raiders....The Hebrew word Gad, sounds like the term "raiders" (Hb. gedud) and (Hb. gud).

Apparently, in the time of Joshua, the Tribe of Gad, because of their natural bent for fighting, led the armies of Israel over the Jordan River. Once successful, they returned to their inheritance on the other side of the Jordan which exposed them to the hostile Moabites and Ammonites.

Reba and I like good old boy Matthew Henry. Here is a quote from him on Gad.
IV. Concerning Gad, Gen_49:19. He alludes to his name, which signifies a troop, foresees the character of that tribe, that it should be a warlike tribe, and so we find (1Ch_12:8); the Gadites were men of war fit for the battle. He foresees that the situation of that tribe on the other side Jordan would expose it to the incursions of its neighbours, the Moabites and Ammonites; and, that they might not be proud of their strength and valour, he foretels that the troops of their enemies should, in many skirmishes, overcome them; yet, that they might not be discouraged by their defeats, he assures them that they should overcome at the last, which was fulfilled when, in Saul's time and David's, the Moabites and Ammonites were wholly subdued: see 1Ch_5:18, etc.

gâd
gawd
From H1464; Gad, a son of Jacob, including his tribe and its territory; also a prophet: - Gad.

Seems Gad is the only one with prophet attached to his name...

well one could say that isreal is one tribe. I can say that. I see a lot of Jacob's nature in the Hebrew nation.

for sure.... Seems to me there is a ton of 'psychiatry' in the scriptures
yacob or yacov(not said the way it appears in Russian) is very much a man that was a typical saint. stubborn, needed grace and also at times needed to be reminded that god was in control.

Abraham was that way to a degree, but too bad the nation isn't more like him. but that is for another topic. Abraham if you get into him is where the jews get the chuppa from. his tent!

Kinda sad we will be leaving Genesis. Some mighty men of God goofy, yup, but mighty... gives me hope
oh matthew we will have to look at the apostles, the wicked Pharisees and later on exodus. I will tie in them when it seems fit.

oh matthew we will have to look at the apostles, the wicked Pharisees and later on exodus. I will tie in them when it seems fit.

I'm looking forward to your instruction Jason, since I am following your suggestion to study Matthew and Exodus.:woot2

I'm looking forward to your instruction Jason, since I am following your suggestion to study Matthew and Exodus.:woot2
well for starters, both books start with a geneology. and in the big picture both are about a people being redeemed and a nation being birthed. that is what I see, I can tie it as it goes on but the verses for that wont be much.

Day 139 Sunday 9/7/14 Genesis 49:20 Asher.

Gen 49:20 "Out of Asher his bread shall be fat, and he shall yield royal dainties."

The old saying, "The way to a man's heart is thru his stomach" is certainly true in the Tribe of Asher. Dr. MacArthur says, "Asher benefited much from occupying the agriculturally rich coastal region North of Carmel, and provided gourmet delights for the palace. (Josh. 19:24-31)"

Apparently, the land where Asher settled was very fertile, and produced the finest of veggies and was excellent grazing pastures for their cattle which produced great milk etc.

John Gill gives us his commentary on Asher, compliments of e-Sword.

Genesis 49:20
Out of Asher his bread shall be fat,.... Which signifies that this tribe would have a sufficiency of food out of their own land, without being obliged to others, and that it would be of the best sort; it occupied a tract of land, as Andrichomius (l) says, reaching from great Zidon to Carmel of the sea, a space of twenty miles in length; and in breadth, from the great sea to Asor, and even to Naason, a space of nine miles; the land of this tribe is very fat, he says, and exceeding fruitful in wine and oil, especially in the best wheat: and in this tribe, as the same writer (m) observes, among other very fruitful places was the valley of Asher, called the fat valley, which began five miles from Ptolemais, and reached to the sea of Galilee, and contained more than ten miles in length; the soil of which was exceeding fat and fruitful, and produced the most delicate wine and wheat, and might be truly called the fat valley, see Deu_33:24.

a list to put this names and "internet' meanings and history in one quick place..

Reuben
Means "behold, a son" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament he is the eldest son of Jacob and Leah and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. It has been used as a Christian name in Britain since the Protestant Reformation.
Simon
From the Hebrew name Shim'on (see SIMON). In the Old Testament this is the name of the second son of Jacob and the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. In the New Testament this is the name of a man who blessed the newborn Jesus. It was also borne by a powerful 10th-century ruler of Bulgaria.
Levi
Means "attached" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament, Levi is the third son of Jacob and Leah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of the Israelites (the tribe that eventually became the priests of the Israelites). In the New Testament this is another name for the apostleMatthew. As an English Christian name, Levi came into use after the Protestant Reformation.
Judah
From the Hebrew name יְהוּדָה (Yehudah) which meant "praised". Judah was one of the twelve sons of Jacob and the ancestor of the tribe of Judah, as told in the Old Testament. This tribe eventually formed the kingdom of Judah in the south of Israel. King David and Jesus were descendents of Judah.
Zebulun
Possibly derived from Ugartic zbl meaning "prince". Zebulun is the tenth son of Jacob in the Old Testament and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. Genesis 30:20 implies two different roots for the name: זָבַל (zaval) "to honour" or "to dwell", and זֵבֵד (zeved) "gift, dowry". These are probably only folk etymologies.
Issachar
Means "hireling" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this is the name of one of the twelve sons of Jacob and the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Dan
Means "he judged" in Hebrew. Dan in the Old Testament is one of the twelve sons of Jacob and the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Gad
Means "fortune" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament, Gad is the first son of Jacob by Leah's slave-girl Zilpah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of the Israelites. Another Gad in the Old Testament is a prophet of King David.
Asher
Means "happy" or "blessed" in Hebrew. Asher in the Old Testament is a son of Jacob and Leah's handmaid Zilpah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Naphtali
Means "wrestling" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament he is a son of Jacob by Rachel's servant Bilhah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Joseph
From Ioseph, the Latin form of Greek Ιωσηφ (Ioseph), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament, Joseph is the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This name also occurs in the New Testament, belonging to Saint Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea.
Benjamin
From the Hebrew name בִּנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament is the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews. He was originally named בֶּן־אוֹנִי (Ben-'oniy)meaning "son of my sorrow" by his mother Rachel, who died shortly after childbirth, but it was later changed by his father.

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/biblical

a list to put this names and "internet' meanings and history in one quick place..

Reuben
Means "behold, a son" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament he is the eldest son of Jacob and Leah and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. It has been used as a Christian name in Britain since the Protestant Reformation.
Simon
From the Hebrew name Shim'on (see SIMON). In the Old Testament this is the name of the second son of Jacob and the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. In the New Testament this is the name of a man who blessed the newborn Jesus. It was also borne by a powerful 10th-century ruler of Bulgaria.
Levi
Means "attached" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament, Levi is the third son of Jacob and Leah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of the Israelites (the tribe that eventually became the priests of the Israelites). In the New Testament this is another name for the apostleMatthew. As an English Christian name, Levi came into use after the Protestant Reformation.
Judah
From the Hebrew name יְהוּדָה (Yehudah) which meant "praised". Judah was one of the twelve sons of Jacob and the ancestor of the tribe of Judah, as told in the Old Testament. This tribe eventually formed the kingdom of Judah in the south of Israel. King David and Jesus were descendents of Judah.
Zebulun
Possibly derived from Ugartic zbl meaning "prince". Zebulun is the tenth son of Jacob in the Old Testament and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel. Genesis 30:20 implies two different roots for the name: זָבַל (zaval) "to honour" or "to dwell", and זֵבֵד (zeved) "gift, dowry". These are probably only folk etymologies.
Issachar
Means "hireling" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this is the name of one of the twelve sons of Jacob and the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Dan
Means "he judged" in Hebrew. Dan in the Old Testament is one of the twelve sons of Jacob and the founder of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Gad
Means "fortune" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament, Gad is the first son of Jacob by Leah's slave-girl Zilpah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of the Israelites. Another Gad in the Old Testament is a prophet of King David.
Asher
Means "happy" or "blessed" in Hebrew. Asher in the Old Testament is a son of Jacob and Leah's handmaid Zilpah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Naphtali
Means "wrestling" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament he is a son of Jacob by Rachel's servant Bilhah, and the ancestor of one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
Joseph
From Ioseph, the Latin form of Greek Ιωσηφ (Ioseph), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament, Joseph is the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This name also occurs in the New Testament, belonging to Saint Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea.
Benjamin
From the Hebrew name בִּנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament is the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews. He was originally named בֶּן־אוֹנִי (Ben-'oniy)meaning "son of my sorrow" by his mother Rachel, who died shortly after childbirth, but it was later changed by his father.

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/biblical
:goodpost

Day 140 Monday 9/8/14 Genesis 49:21 Naphtali.

Gen 49:21 Naphtali is a hind let loose: he giveth goodly words.

Apparently, Naphtali would have been an Olympian champion because of the speed of this Tribe. Naphtali's military capabilities were exceptional accorning to Judges 4:6 & 5:18. One writer said that the Tribe of Naphtali was regarded as the author of eloquent words. The song of Deborah and Barak spoke these words in song because they were from this Tribe.

I like what John Gill had to say about these goodly words.
"he giveth goodly words"; "to those he converses with; and it may be applied, particularly to Christ and his disciples, and to the inhabitants of this tribe in his time, among whom they much were, see Mat_4:13 he himself is compared to the hind of the morning, Psa_22:1 in the title, and to a roe or a young hart, Son_2:9 Son_8:14 for his amiableness and loveliness in himself, and for his lovingness to his people, and for his swiftness to do the will and work of his father, being sent out (p), as the word here used signifies, by him into this world, on the business of man's salvation: and so his disciples, who were Galilaeans, were swift to obey his call, and left all and followed him, and were sent out by him to preach his Gospel; and both he and they may be said to "give goodly words", as the doctrines of the Gospel are, words of grace, truth, and life; wholesome, comfortable, pleasant and delightful; good tidings of good things, of peace, pardon, righteousness, salvation and eternal life by Christ: and the inhabitants of this country in Christ's time were swift to run after him, and hear him; panted after him as the hart after the water brooks, and both received and gave out the goodly words of the Gospel, and were made free thereby, and so like an hind let loose. Bochart gives a different version of these words, which is countenanced by the Septuagint version, Naphtali is a tree full of shoots, or "a tree shot out, sprouting out beautiful branches"; but as this is contrary to the points, and coincides with the next verse, it is rejected by many learned men."

Also, I like what Matthew Henry had to say about this Tribe.
VI. "Concerning Naphtali (Gen_49:21), a tribe that carries struggles in its name; it signifies wrestling, and the blessing entailed upon it signifies prevailing; it is a hind let loose. Though we find not this prediction so fully answered in the event as some of the rest, yet, no doubt, it proved true that those of this tribe were, 1. As the loving hind (for that is her epithet, Pro_5:19), friendly and obliging to one another and to other tribes; their converse remarkably kind and endearing. 2. As the loosened hind, zealous for their liberty. 3. As the swift hind (Psa_18:33), quick in despatch of business; and perhaps, 4. As the trembling, timorous in times of public danger. It is rare that those that are most amiable to their friends are most formidable to their enemies. 5. That they should be affable and courteous, their language refined, and they complaisant, giving goodly words. Note, Among God's Israel there is to be found a great variety of dispositions, contrary to each other, yet all contributing to the beauty and strength of the body, Judah like a lion, Issachar like an ass, Dan like a serpent, Naphtali like a hind. Let not those of different tempers and gifts censure one another, nor envy one another, any more than those of different statures and complexions."

Day 141 Tuesday 9/9/14 Genesis 49:22-26 Joseph.

As I was praying this morning, I was struck with the thought of how great and awesome this exacting God is. His demands for strict obedience to His known laws at the time, causes me to think that no one could get very close to this set apart Jehovah. When I pray, I many times call Jehovah my Heavenly Father. Father?? Wow, what change has come about because I believe in Jesus the Christ of God! In the O.T. men were afraid to approach the God Who thundered from the mountains, and now I can approach Him as a child to his father? Oh the wonder of what our Savior accomplished on the Cross. I will forever praise and worship this all knowing, powerful, mighty God Who calls me His child! Holy, Holy, Holy.

Gen 49:22 Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall:
Gen 49:23 The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him:
Gen 49:24 But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob; (from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:)
Gen 49:25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:
Gen 49:26 The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills: they shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

Joseph is a fruitful bough. He is like a vine which has branches that grow all over the place. Two branches would be, Samuel, who was from the Tribe of Joseph's son Ephraim. The other is Gideon, a branch from the Tribe of Manasseh, Joseph's son.

V.23 pictures all the trials and grief that Joseph had to endure from his brothers starting at home, stripped of his coat and thrown in a pit, sold into Egypt, waged war with Potiphar's wife who wanted to seduce him. Jailed for several years. In all this, Joseph never gave up on his "Mighty God of Jacob" Who gave him grace that was sufficient to see him thru.

V.26 pictures in my mind this awesome man who God separated from all his brothers to become a savior like man of God who was used to save a very important generation of men who would serve in very critical events in history and thru Judah's family line would bring forth the Savior of those who would believe in Him, and have a future, everlasting home with Him in the new heaven's and earth....I can't wait! Even so, Lord come!

Back