Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Got to love Matthew and the honesty.
Let us contrast the devils authority: The book of Job shows some limited power given to satan.
Luke 4:5
And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. .
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Jesus and Job (a type of the coming Christ) did not worship satan.

Versus

Christs authorit (after resurrection):
Matthew 28:18
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Peter's shadow fell on folks......

Versus

Christs authority given disciples before Christ's passion: (before they received power at Pentecost).
Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Now I wonder if understanding will be granted?

The Matthew 10 passage does not confer power to make disciples. The disciples are dealing with the ranks of demonic power (notice we are dealing with Jesus supreme power, and the disciples lesser power). Jesus could pray in the garden, but the disciples just went to sleep. Pentecost had not struck yet.
Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Do we see that there is a difference in depending on faith in Jesus and empowerment of Holy Spirit contrasted with our flesh. Romans 7:25

The disciples are going to receive power to face this sort of demon later (just not quite yet). Faith and giving Jesus the credit (worship) and the why could not we (unbelief) is sure shown here. A dab of faith is all that is needed (they did not even have a dab). I have to look at myself and ask (eddif where is your dab ?).

eddif

I'm sorry that I didn't include this with the study I just posted....There are those who ask, "how do you come by a faith that Jesus is speaking about?" The following verse tells us how to obtain a supernatural faith that if need be would move mountains.
Romans 10:17 "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." (ESV)

There it is folks. Initial faith to become a born again believer in Jesus was a gift from God. That was a beginning. A supernatural faith comes from relentless study of God's Word found in your Bible. The equation is simple, little study, small faith, much study, much faith. It takes work in the Scriptures to obtain much faith. It's like a muscle, the more you exercise a muscle, the larger and stronger it gets.

Faith comes from hearing (personal study & hearing a preachers message) and hearing through the Word of Christ Jesus!

Chopper would you agree the Word can come to us in the form of a Hallmark card... or the revelation of Him in nature... Romans 1:20
A click of a childhood memory?
With fuller more complete faith to follow in searching out the Scripture?

Bible study is all about stirring each other up to truth.
I John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Hebrews 9:11
But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Some know of my interest in symbolism, but all symbols / shadows have a reality / body that casts the shadow and the reality is Christ Jesus. I think Matthew is a great study.

eddif

Last edited:
Chopper would you agree the Word can come to us in the form of a Hallmark card... or the revelation of Him in nature... Romans 1:20
A click of a childhood memory?
With fuller more complete faith to follow in searching out the Scripture?

By all means Reba. God's Word can arrive to our hearts by many different means. I have received "get well" cards that were so anointed that the words drove me to tears. Being from the Coast of Maine, just the power and majesty of the ocean and the fact that no one can tame it or understand it, that reminds me of our Creator and how mysterious He is, calm and still, then furious and deadly to those who by their pride" go their own way,

Job 38:8
Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,
10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,
11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?

Romans 8:38
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Isaiah 59:19
So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

Mark 13:14
But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

When we see the tsunami headed our way let us cry out. This very thread leader has see the onslaught, and flesh and blood do not always deliver. But. The higher spiritual place in Christ is the solution. If we sink like Peter the hand is extended.

IMHO the raging of the ocean is like trouble coming our way. God knows our frame and will have mercy when we cry out. The angry (proud) waves break on the beach. Jesus bore our sins that we might have eternal life. Jesus bore the wrath for us. The mind comprehends all this, but the flesh awaits the resurrection.

Mississippi rednecks just shoot rabbits, even when on a deer hunt. This ocean thing is new to me this year.

eddif

Ah my friend eddif, the raging waters are coming. The Ark of safety is full....those with life jackets can only endure for a season, and wait for another Ark.

The rest of the comparison:
Matthew 17:15
Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

The waves are hitting the child.
The disciples are a lot like Job's friends (unable to help Job; due to their unbelief)
Jesus took care of the situation
Matthew 17:18
And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.

God did not allow Job to be killed (waves came so far and no farther; by order of God-- just like the ocean). We should believe that the boundaries are still there. The flesh has its problems, but the mind of Christ is developd in us. He can reach into our situations; apart from our flesh.

There is one difference in the kingdom of today. We can choose to ignore the suffering, that that the gospel might go forth. Paul had Devine rights he did not claim.
I Corinthians 9:5
Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?
7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
Skip a few verses (read them though)
12 If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.

This is not taught much today. We think easy street is the only way. Balance (not just lukewarmness) is tough to arrive at. God knows us as individuals. God loves the weak and strong.

How did I get off on all this? Hopefully it was needed.

eddif

Hi again my special Friend Reba. You made the question in post # 1283. "With fuller more complete faith to follow in searching out the Scripture?" I wish every Christian would get a handle on how to obtain great Faith. There is only one way to obtain what I call "working miraculous Faith." The first is to be an avid reader of God's Words in the Bible. I personally know of many people who read their newest magazine until the pages are worn out. Their Bible? On a shelf near the door to grab when going to church.

Now a days, contemporary churches project the verses up on the walls of the church building so that the people don't have to bring their bible. There are folk who like to walk to church. If you noticed them, they wouldn't look any different that all the other joggers and walkers out for family exercise on a Sunday morning. You say "what's wrong with that?" This family who goes to a church that projects the scriptures of the pastors message on a wall, the folk leave their Bibles at home. (hint) Actually, they were embarrassed to be seen in public walking to church with their Bible tucked under their arm as hidden as their garment would allow. I've often thought that if I'm ashamed to let people see me carry a Bible, Jesus would be ashamed of me.

I believe that the secret to great faith is a constant study of what Jesus did in every circumstance when He was on the earth. I could say more but my old mind is shutting down....Later!

This study is helping me (along with a study in Hebrews off web). I sure do not wish to keep us stuck on these verses. As usual, when I fellowship in bible study, God often opens the mind. This is probably not the time to share all of it. Jude 1:20 now has a new fuller meaning (combined with Matthew and Hebrews.

eddif

This study is helping me (along with a study in Hebrews off web). I sure do not wish to keep us stuck on these verses. As usual, when I fellowship in bible study, God often opens the mind. This is probably not the time to share all of it. Jude 1:20 now has a new fuller meaning (combined with Matthew and Hebrews.

eddif
I feel the same way. I love the book of Hebrews. That and Romans speak so much Truth to my spirit. It is amazing how a study in one book of the Bible will stimulate our memory and bring to our mind new revelation. I love that.

November 5th, 2015 Matthew 17:22,23 Bad and Good news.

Matthew 17:22 " And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: 17:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry." (KJV)

Matthew 17:22 " As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men, 17:23 and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day." And they were greatly distressed." (ESV)

In this case, I like the KJV because it mentions the word "betrayed".

Notice what John Gill has to say about V.22. "Jesus said unto them, the son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: some copies read, "sinful men"; and so the angels report the words, in Luk_24:7 by whom may be meant the Gentiles, who, by the Jews, were reckoned very wicked men, and called sinners of the Gentiles. Now Christ intimates, that the son of man, meaning himself, should be betrayed by the Jews, into the hands of the Gentiles; than which, with the Jews, nothing was reckoned a fouler action, or a viler crime; their canons run thus (h):

"It is forbidden to betray an Israelite into the hands of the Gentiles, whether in his body or in his substance; and though he may be a wicked man, and a ringleader in sin, and though he may have oppressed and afflicted him; and everyone that betrays an Israelite into the hands of the Gentiles, whether in his body, or in his substance, has no part in the world to come.''

These Jews were so intent on destroying this person called Jesus Who was a threat to their positions and way of life that they forgot their own rules about sending a Jew to the Gentiles for any kind of justice.

The word "betrayed" identifies Judas, one of the Disciples as the one of whom Satan would control in the attempt to destroy the Son of God. I can just imagine what a victory that would have been if Satan had been successful in this destruction of part of the Godhead. It blows my mind that even though Satan knows the Word of God enough to try and deceive Jesus by using it in the wilderness temptation, he must not believe that what the Word of God says, will not really happen, even though the prophesies of the prophets all came true.

For the Disciples, that was bad news. The Scripture says they were exceedingly sorry or greatly distressed. Boy, I would have been devastated at that time as well....The good news, especially for Jesus was He was to be resurrected out of this life of pain and rejection. He would go back to the open arms of His Father where He belongs. The Disciples would be thrilled later on.

II Corinthians 3:13 KJV
And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.l

I Corinthians 2:7. (Already posted )
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery,even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
II Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

God turned Israel over to Gentile captivity.

John 1:14 KJV
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Knowing the person Jesus in our hearts and mind; gives better understanding of the word.

The Holy Spirit leads us into all truth.
John 16:13 KJV
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear,that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

eddif

I am so sorry that it's been a little over a month since I've posted a study on Matthew. Today I'll attempt another study.

I am so sorry that it's been a little over a month since I've posted a study on Matthew. Today I'll attempt another study.

Matthew 24 and 25 would be a good topic, as it relates to the day we are living in now.

December 9th 2015 Matthew 17:24-27 A Financial Miracle.

Matthew 17:24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? ------ At the annual census, each person over the age of 20 was to give a half-shekel for the support of the tabernacle. Apparently, there were more than one tax collector who approached Peter asking if Jesus would pay the tribute money. I personally think they were afraid to approach Jesus Himself for fear that He might find fault with them or the tribute and they wouldn't know how to reply.

Mat .17:25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? ------ Interesting question posed by Jesus. According to the customs and laws of the land, a ruling king's family was exempt from taxes or tribute. That was not the case for all others other than those the king might declare exempt....Technically, the tabernacle belonged to the Heavenly Father, and His Son, and those who came into the family of God would be exempt. So as to not present a great argument, Jesus IMO agrees to pay the tribute.

Mat .17:26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.------ Peter answers correctly, and Jesus states the Truth that the children in the family of God are free and exempt. I think there was a lesson in this for Peter. Although a law might not apply to us as Christians, in order to keep peace, and not offend our Savior, we might obey the law. Example: It could be argued that I'm not a citizen of the United States. Since being spiritually birthed into a completely separate family and I'm just a pilgrim traveling to my Heavenly Home, I'm not under mans law to pay taxes. I little farfetched but probable.

Mat. 17:27Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.------ Here we have Jesus' explanation of why and how He will suggest to Peter to pay the tribute....Now, this has always challenged my mind in how Jesus proposed getting the necessary money for the tribute from His heavenly bank. (Lol, heavenly bank? Sometimes I crack myself up) :sohappyCan you believe it? Jesus tells this seasoned fisherman to go catch the first fish and take the money out of the fishes mouth and pay the tribute for Him and Peter. I can just hear Peter, if he's like me, "O right! the first fish I catch will have money in it's mouth. Boy, I've seen miracles that blew my mind so this ought to top them all. He told me to go do it, I'll go!"

There is a certain man who attends the church that I went to before recently changing to one that was not compromising biblical standards. His name is Alan. For about 6 years, I have been praying for a financial miracle after he asked me too. So far, no miracle. I have often wondered if it would be possible to receive from God money that I had no idea where it would come from. Recently, my Son Skip, received a check from a retirement fund that he had no idea that the firm that he worked for twelve years had been saving. The check was for $12,000.00 and he was able to pay all his debts.

I have been praying for a financial miracle for years so that I could be debt free. I always was a pastor of small country churches with small salaries. Most of the time I had to work a secular job just to make ends meet. Consequently, I could never save for retirement. Two children in Christian College took a lot of my savings. Why do I say this? I need a miracle, my faith says it's coming!

Matthew 24 and 25 would be a good topic, as it relates to the day we are living in now.

Very interesting JLB. I'll start a new thread on these two chapters. Lets both team up and present the thought that you presented, "How Does This Relate to the day we're living in now."

Are you interested? What are your thoughts in how we should present this? Would you like to start the thread instead of me?

Good afternoon all my Bible Study friends. I sure hope you all had a very blessed Christmas. Debi and I had the best Christmas in a long while. This year, Jordan, the 11 year old Son of Nancy, who went home to be with Jesus this Summer, lives with Debi and me along with her older Son Corey. Needless to say, we delighted in purchasing presents for both of them and delighted in watching them open their presents Christmas morning. Jorden, who loves to read from his Bible, read out loud Luke chapter 2:1-21 about Jesus' birth. This has been the custom of Debi and me every Christmas before any presents are opened, and we talk and thank Jesus for living and dying for us.

It's been several months now since Debi had the honor and pleasure of leading Jordan to Jesus for his Salvation. Debi had been very faithful to hold morning devotions with Jordan leading up to his knowledge and conviction of sin and forgiveness in Christ Jesus. The devotions continue to be a steady morning custom here in our home. Jordan has grown wonderfully and has a very good grasp on a daily spiritual walk of which we praise our Lord for His goodness to us.

I had led Corey to Jesus last Summer and he has grown spiritually and continues to be a witness on his job at Firestone Tire Co. in West Springfield, Ma. I'm proud of him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back