Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
DECEMBER 27th 2015 MATTHEW 18:1-6 KINGDOM LIVING.

Matthew 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
In asking this question about who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven, they might have in mind, accomplishments that a believer did while living and laboring while on the earth. It wouldn't surprise me if the Disciples were referring to themselves as to whom Jesus would pick as the greatest among them once they reached heaven.

This account happened while the Disciples were coming to Capernaum on there way to see Jesus.

Mark 9:33 "And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way? 9:34 But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest."

The omniscience of Jesus was active in knowing just what His Disciples were talking about in which He needed to correct, because in Kingdom living, this is not acceptable. A small group of people who discuss who is the greatest among them smacks of pride of which is out of bounds for those who are in Christ Jesus. Especially, any person who see's himself or herself as better, better looking, more popular, or favored of God more than anyone else is headed for a fall spiritually, and Jesus wanted to correct this before Satan could elevate this line of thinking in this individual.

Lets look at Jesus' instruction to His Disciples and actually wonderful future instruction for those who would believe in Jesus in all future generations. Kingdom living now is the practice ground for when we arrive in the future Kingdom where our Lord Jesus will reign and rule. It would be a shame for someone to finally arrive in the Kingdom and not know how to live and act.

I'll just throw this out. It is my belief that those Christians who are very serious about living out their lives in strict observance of Christ's Commands, these, IMO, are the Bride of Christ Jesus and will be gathered to Him in what we call the pre-trib rapture. All other Christians who are not that serious about living like the Bride, will learn Kingdom living in the first three and a half years of the tribulation and will be gathered to Jesus at that half way point as explained in 2 Thessalonians Chapter two.

Back to Jesus' instruction.
Matthew 18:2 "And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them".... I don't know how many times I've told people who were struggling with the concept of faith. I use the picture of a two year old standing on the third step on the stairs and telling the child to jump into it's fathers arms. At first the child is reluctant because it doesn't know the father can catch it. That first leap is a leap of faith and sure enough, the father catches the child. From that point on, faith becomes confidence.

Matthew 18:3 "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.".... Actually, childlike faith is important to even becoming a Christian in my mind. Human wisdom cannot figure out this event. The human mind must acknowledge Christ's life, death, burial, and resurrection. The knowledge of original sin and Christ's Blood as payment for that sin and sins is a must. From there, it is childlike faith that simply reaches into the realm of God and apprehends what God is supplying from His grace to this individual.

Matthew 18:4 "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.".... There's the answer! Pride says, "I'm the greatest. Humility says, I'm not the greatest, I'm simply a servant to cause others to be great. The greatest in the future Kingdom will be the least in this life.

Matthew 18:5 "And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.".... There are those who will not give the right time of day to someone who is not up to their own set of standards, especially those who are mentally challenged. This is a true test of Kingdom living. Jesus is saying that He responds favorably to those who favor the under privileged.

Matthew 18:6 "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.".... A stern warning to those Christians who have their nose stuck up into the air. I've always said that those "stuck up" folk will drown if it rains.

Thank you for studying with me. Please add your comments to make this a more complete study. May God bless you all with His Grace and Peace.

I'm sorry I missed this study. I like the gospel of Mathew.
Mathew 18:3,4 reminds me of Mathew 5:3, the Beatitudes: Blessed are the Poor in Spirit...
Why? Because in the O.T. Isaiah 61:1-3 tells us that the Messiah would be annointed to bring good news to te poor. In Luke 4:14 Jesus reads this passage in His hometown of Nazareh and proclaims it fulfilled.

Isaiah was speaking of people who were poor of money and of land - they had bee taken into exile. They were also oppressed, powerless and without hope. Desperate. They were physically and spiritually poor. People i Jesus' time were in the same condition.

So in Mathew 18:3,4 we're being told to be humble as a child is humble. Or to be poor in spirit. This mans to realize that we have nothing to contribute to the K of God. We have no arrogance, no self-righteousness.
To enter the Kingdom you must be poor in spirit and realize that salvation is a gift from God.

This is much like the state a child finds himself in. He realizes how dependant he is on a father or a mother. He realizes he can offer nothing but himself. He trusts and has faith in. Like the jump from the steps into the arms of the father. A child loves naturally, even if nothing is given to him, and he is willing to learn.

Wondering

Mathew 18:3,4 reminds me of Mathew 5:3, the Beatitudes: Blessed are the Poor in Spirit...
Why? Because in the O.T. Isaiah 61:1-3 tells us that the Messiah would be annointed to bring good news to te poor. In Luke 4:14 Jesus reads this passage in His hometown of Nazareh and proclaims it fulfilled.

Isaiah was speaking of people who were poor of money and of land - they had bee taken into exile. They were also oppressed, powerless and without hope. Desperate. They were physically and spiritually poor. People i Jesus' time were in the same condition.

So in Mathew 18:3,4 we're being told to be humble as a child is humble. Or to be poor in spirit. This mans to realize that we have nothing to contribute to the K of God. We have no arrogance, no self-righteousness.
To enter the Kingdom you must be poor in spirit and realize that salvation is a gift from God.

This is much like the state a child finds himself in. He realizes how dependant he is on a father or a mother. He realizes he can offer nothing but himself. He trusts and has faith in. Like the jump from the steps into the arms of the father. A child loves naturally, even if nothing is given to him, and he is willing to learn.

Wondering

Welcome to our Bible Study Family Wondering. You're not the only one who has missed the start of Matthew. No problem! Please feel free to continue with us....I liked what you posted, that added some good info to our study.

Wondering
The following ties in to the beatitudes.
Ezekiel 9:4 KJV
And the Lord said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.

Ezekiel 11:16
Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them as a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come.

And at / after Pentecost they will inherit the New Jerusalem.

Ezekiel 11:17
Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will even gather you from the people, and assemble you out of the countries where ye have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel.

The good guys of Israel went into captivity for the silent years before John the Baptist. These are the righteous ones from the nations at Pentecost.

I would hijack the thread to say much more than this. The Ezekiel dispersion is longer and starts from broken hearts.

eddif

Eddif,

You could kind of compare the Israel miracle of 1947 to Mathew 18:6, and those against Israel, but I think it's taking it too far and Jesus really did mean the children that were following Him and coming to Him.

I could add here: Just think how charismatic Jesus was. Think of all the people who followed Him around and waited for Him to pass by their street or home or town. Even children loved Him!

Wondering

Jeremiah 29:7 KJV
And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.
(Other translations mention prosperity)

Those placed in dispersion had the opportunity to prosper. The ones left in Israel were the ones who suffered and died.

The physically poor were the shadow of the non haughty inner worshipers of God. The beatitudes were the reality people of the kingdom taught from John the Baptist on.

Were the 1947 folks members of the kingdom believing in Jesus? Were they hungering and thirsting in the righteousness provided by the Messiah?

Luke 16:16 KJV
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

The kingdom is related to the beatitudes: the inner abstract thoughts of the inner man. The outer external is berinning to pass away.

The multitudes heard poor people, but the disciples heard poor in spirit.

eddif

Jeremiah 29:7 KJV
And seek the peace of the city whither I have caused you to be carried away captives, and pray unto the LORD for it: for in the peace thereof shall ye have peace.
(Other translations mention prosperity)

Those placed in dispersion had the opportunity to prosper. The ones left in Israel were the ones who suffered and died.

The physically poor were the shadow of the non haughty inner worshipers of God. The beatitudes were the reality people of the kingdom taught from John the Baptist on.

Were the 1947 folks members of the kingdom believing in Jesus? Were they hungering and thirsting in the righteousness provided by the Messiah?

Luke 16:16 KJV
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

The kingdom is related to the beatitudes: the inner abstract thoughts of the inner man. The outer external is berinning to pass away.

The multitudes heard poor people, but the disciples heard poor in spirit.

eddif

Hi Eddif,

The 1947 folks were not members of the Kingdom. And yes, the disciples heard poor in spirit. As did Jesus, but the people of His time were also poor in material things and also in psychological matters. Oppression by the Romans.

Re Israel, I was referring to prophecies which clearly state that the people of Israel would be regathered. At that time, and also, in future time. The outer external is beginning to pass away. You're probably referring to the Jews. They're forgetting about God too, IMO. But this is happening all over and is very disconcerting.

The Law and Prophets were UNTIL John. So are you saying the prophecies were referring ONLY to the O:T. Jews being regathered?

Sorry if I'm not understanding fully.

Wondering

Hi Eddif,

The 1947 folks were not members of the Kingdom. And yes, the disciples heard poor in spirit. As did Jesus, but the people of His time were also poor in material things and also in psychological matters. Oppression by the Romans.

Re Israel, I was referring to prophecies which clearly state that the people of Israel would be regathered. At that time, and also, in future time. The outer external is beginning to pass away. You're probably referring to the Jews. They're forgetting about God too, IMO. But this is happening all over and is very disconcerting.

The Law and Prophets were UNTIL John. So are you saying the prophecies were referring ONLY to the O:T. Jews being regathered?

Sorry if I'm not understanding fully.

Wondering

I am a symbolism nut. In doing symbolism you (including me) really have to know what is the solid object and what is the shadow. You can study shadows all day long and fail to get to the truth. We can know God by looking at creation, but often we try to know ourselves by looking at creation Romans 1:19-20

We can get messed up. I realize all the time I look through welding glasses in this life (through a glass darkly).
Mark 4 and Matthew 13 tell why Jesus taught the multitudes in parables (so seeing they might not see and hearing they might not hear). He told the disciples privately what the parables meant.

Physical Israel is a shadow of the New Jerusalem. We are regathered into a new man made up of Jew and Gentile in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2

Jesus used parables (symbolism) to conceal and not to reveal. Externally poor people are the shadow, but internally non ego driven people are the reality Jesus teaches about in private. Are there poor people? Yes. Should we help? Sure. Salvation is inward though and not external. Hunger and thirsting after righteousness is an ultimate goal, but the shadow of physical hunger is the temporal shadow.

The New Jerusalem is headed our way, and the form of this world is passing away. We sit in the middle an scratch our heads at times.
I Corinthians 7:30
And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

So I am not trying to make all things just spiritual yet, and I try not to make all things physical continually. I move from the physical toward the spiritual. This is the problem Jesus faced (can I enter into my mothers womb a second time?). A spiritual birth happens inside a physical body.

The New Jerusalem is not a jazzed up old Jerusalem. It is the city Abraham was looking for (one not made with man's hands)

Matthew 18 is dealing with the new birth inside us. We come as a child and grow toward maturity. This born again new creation is the reality, and the shadow is like a little child. Let me get out of the way so Chopper can continue.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

DECEMBER 27th 2015 MATTHEW 18:1-6 KINGDOM LIVING.

Matthew 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
In asking this question about who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven, they might have in mind, accomplishments that a believer did while living and laboring while on the earth. It wouldn't surprise me if the Disciples were referring to themselves as to whom Jesus would pick as the greatest among them once they reached heaven.

This account happened while the Disciples were coming to Capernaum on there way to see Jesus.

Mark 9:33 "And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way? 9:34 But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest."

The omniscience of Jesus was active in knowing just what His Disciples were talking about in which He needed to correct, because in Kingdom living, this is not acceptable. A small group of people who discuss who is the greatest among them smacks of pride of which is out of bounds for those who are in Christ Jesus. Especially, any person who see's himself or herself as better, better looking, more popular, or favored of God more than anyone else is headed for a fall spiritually, and Jesus wanted to correct this before Satan could elevate this line of thinking in this individual.

Lets look at Jesus' instruction to His Disciples and actually wonderful future instruction for those who would believe in Jesus in all future generations. Kingdom living now is the practice ground for when we arrive in the future Kingdom where our Lord Jesus will reign and rule. It would be a shame for someone to finally arrive in the Kingdom and not know how to live and act.

I'll just throw this out. It is my belief that those Christians who are very serious about living out their lives in strict observance of Christ's Commands, these, IMO, are the Bride of Christ Jesus and will be gathered to Him in what we call the pre-trib rapture. All other Christians who are not that serious about living like the Bride, will learn Kingdom living in the first three and a half years of the tribulation and will be gathered to Jesus at that half way point as explained in 2 Thessalonians Chapter two.

Back to Jesus' instruction.
Matthew 18:2 "And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them".... I don't know how many times I've told people who were struggling with the concept of faith. I use the picture of a two year old standing on the third step on the stairs and telling the child to jump into it's fathers arms. At first the child is reluctant because it doesn't know the father can catch it. That first leap is a leap of faith and sure enough, the father catches the child. From that point on, faith becomes confidence.

Matthew 18:3 "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.".... Actually, childlike faith is important to even becoming a Christian in my mind. Human wisdom cannot figure out this event. The human mind must acknowledge Christ's life, death, burial, and resurrection. The knowledge of original sin and Christ's Blood as payment for that sin and sins is a must. From there, it is childlike faith that simply reaches into the realm of God and apprehends what God is supplying from His grace to this individual.

Matthew 18:4 "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.".... There's the answer! Pride says, "I'm the greatest. Humility says, I'm not the greatest, I'm simply a servant to cause others to be great. The greatest in the future Kingdom will be the least in this life.

Matthew 18:5 "And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.".... There are those who will not give the right time of day to someone who is not up to their own set of standards, especially those who are mentally challenged. This is a true test of Kingdom living. Jesus is saying that He responds favorably to those who favor the under privileged.

Matthew 18:6 "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.".... A stern warning to those Christians who have their nose stuck up into the air. I've always said that those "stuck up" folk will drown if it rains.

Thank you for studying with me. Please add your comments to make this a more complete study. May God bless you all with His Grace and Peace.
It's interesting that just two chapters later James and John are wanting to sit on the left and right of Jesus in the kingdom. Slow learners, I guess :):

" 20Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Jesus with her sons, bowing down and making a request of Him. 21And He said to her, “What do you wish?” She said to Him, “Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left.” 22But Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?” They said to Him, “We are able.” 23He said to them, “My cup you shall drink; but to sit on My right and on My left, this is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by My Father.”

24And hearing this, the ten became indignant with the two brothers. 25But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. 26“It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:20-28 NASB)

I am a symbolism nut. In doing symbolism you (including me) really have to know what is the solid object and what is the shadow. You can study shadows all day long and fail to get to the truth. We can know God by looking at creation, but often we try to know ourselves by looking at creation Romans 1:19-20

We can get messed up. I realize all the time I look through welding glasses in this life (through a glass darkly).
Mark 4 and Matthew 13 tell why Jesus taught the multitudes in parables (so seeing they might not see and hearing they might not hear). He told the disciples privately what the parables meant.

Physical Israel is a shadow of the New Jerusalem. We are regathered into a new man made up of Jew and Gentile in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2

Jesus used parables (symbolism) to conceal and not to reveal. Externally poor people are the shadow, but internally non ego driven people are the reality Jesus teaches about in private. Are there poor people? Yes. Should we help? Sure. Salvation is inward though and not external. Hunger and thirsting after righteousness is an ultimate goal, but the shadow of physical hunger is the temporal shadow.

The New Jerusalem is headed our way, and the form of this world is passing away. We sit in the middle an scratch our heads at times.
And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

So I am not trying to make all things just spiritual yet, and I try not to make all things physical continually. I move from the physical toward the spiritual. This is the problem Jesus faced (can I enter into my mothers womb a second time?). A spiritual birth happens inside a physical body.

The New Jerusalem is not a jazzed up old Jerusalem. It is the city Abraham was looking for (one not made with man's hands)

Matthew 18 is dealing with the new birth inside us. We come as a child and grow toward maturity. This born again new creation is the reality, and the shadow is like a little child. Let me get out of the way so Chopper can continue.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Yes. The foreshadowing. The O.T. is full of this. The New Jerusalem. Okay.

I like what you say here:

So I am not trying to make all things just spiritual yet, and I try not to make all things physical continually. I move from the physical toward the spiritual.

All things cannot be spiritual while we are on this earth. We also have to take care of the worldly things that come our way. But we can strive to move toward the spiritual continually, as you say. Or, at least, be aware of it at all times. Be alert, and not sleep to the dangers of this present life.

What you say reminds me of Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus when He says:
John 3:3
Unless one is born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God.

But, before the New, the Old has to pass away.

Wondering

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Hi eddif, my very good friend. Please don't ever worry about "hijacking" my studies. Whenever I start a new Bible Study, I look for what's on people's minds even though the posts may seem "off topic". Your posts are very meaning full and come from your heart and good research. I have come to realize that you have a commanding knowledge of God's Word. I always study your posts with great interest. I look forward to your future comments in our studies, especially in Matthew.

I trust that you and yours will have a blessed and favored New Year, by our Lord Jesus Christ.

It's interesting that just two chapters later James and John are wanting to sit on the left and right of Jesus in the kingdom. Slow learners, I guess :):

" 20Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Jesus with her sons, bowing down and making a request of Him. 21And He said to her, “What do you wish?” She said to Him, “Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left.” 22But Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?” They said to Him, “We are able.” 23He said to them, “My cup you shall drink; but to sit on My right and on My left, this is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by My Father.”

24And hearing this, the ten became indignant with the two brothers. 25But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. 26“It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:20-28 NASB)
The day of Pentecost sure had not arrived for sure.
And
Even after Pentecost things were not externally perfect, but they were much more speaking of the kingdom.

eddif

“Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3 NASB)

Notice it is not optional to be like a child or not. If you do not become like a child you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

This begs two questions: Is Christ teaching a kind of works gospel? Or is he suggesting there is some place outside of the kingdom for 'believers' who don't become as children?

“Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3 NASB)

Notice it is not optional to be like a child or not. If you do not become like a child you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

This begs two questions: Is Christ teaching a kind of works gospel? Or is he suggesting there is some place outside of the kingdom for 'believers' who don't become as children?
Let me know if I am wrong.
They could not enter the kingdom as an Arronic high priest (as an example), but would to enter through John the Baptist's repentance. Later on Saul (later Paul) would count his time in Judism as of little value. Paul began to grow in Christ as a little child.

The physical way we are made is so we can see how we are to develop spiritually. It is not about the ox that he is concerned, but about us.

Redneck
eddif

Let me know if I am wrong.
They could not enter the kingdom as an Arronic high priest (as an example), but would to enter through John the Baptist's repentance. Later on Saul (later Paul) would count his time in Judism as of little value. Paul began to grow in Christ as a little child.

The physical way we are made is so we can see how we are to develop spiritually. It is not about the ox that he is concerned, but about us.

Redneck
eddif
Are you suggesting that 'little children' is a reference to abandoning the mature boast of the law?

Are you suggesting that 'little children' is a reference to abandoning the mature boast of the law?
I am saying a little child of the kingdom is the way.

The mature boast of the law needs repentance and to be born again as a spiritual child.

Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

efdif

I am saying a little child of the kingdom is the way.

The mature boast of the law needs repentance and to be born again as a spiritual child.

Matthew 11:11
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

efdif
I guess there's no reason 'become like children' couldn't mean that. Paul does seem to suggest that the Jews do have this view of themselves being mature teachers of infants because of their knowledge of the law:

"17But if you bear the name “Jew” and rely upon the Law and boast in God, 18and know His will and approve the things that are essential, being instructed out of the Law, 19and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20a corrector of the foolish, a teacher of the immature, having in the Law the embodiment of knowledge and of the truth," (Romans 2:17-20 NASB)

So, perhaps Jesus is saying you gotta lose that image of superiority and become as a child who knows nothing in order to enter into the kingdom. Paul speaks of his own conversion from a knowledgeable adult in the law to that of a child in the faith in order that he might attain to the resurrection (enter the kingdom):

"5circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

7But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:5-11 NASB)

Last edited:

Im not as well versed as most here; what I see in this verse is children have a wonder and want to learn everything so those who become like children want to learn everything about Jesus those not like children are luke warm. jmo

Jesus tells his pre-Pentecost disciples this:

5“And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me" (Matthew 18:5 NASB)

Only to have them turn right around in the next chapter and do this:

13 Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. 14 But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:13-14 NASB)

Oi Vey! What does Jesus have to do to these disciples of his....fill them with his Holy Spirit?!

Im not as well versed as most here; what I see in this verse is children have a wonder and want to learn everything so those who become like children want to learn everything about Jesus those not like children are luke warm. jmo
Humility, being teachable.....IOW, the fruit of the Spirit.

We see this to this very day: People thinking formal education and knowledge about God is equal to having a living relationship with God. But it is the fruit of the Spirit that equates to having a living relationship with God.

"Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. 26“Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight."
(Matthew 11:25-26 NASB)

19 For it is written,
“I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE.”

20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,29 so that no man may boast before God."
31 ...“LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”
(1 Corinthians 1:20-21,27-29,31 NASB capitals in original)

18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise." (1 Corinthians 3:18 NASB bold mine)

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back