Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What are you reading?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Well I've just had some time off work, and then I got sick :sad so I've had a lot of time to read. So I finished 3 Christian fiction books.

Arena by Karen Hancock

Oxygen by John B. Olsen and Randy Ingermanson

The Fifth Man by John B. Olsen and Randy Ingermanson (sequel to Oxygen)

I'm skimming Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel. It's interesting. Has a few good ideas in it so far.

Just finished the 11th book in the Left Behind series, Armaggedon.

WOW. Simply awesome. Looks like nearly the entire last book is gonna be AFTER the Glorious Reappearing.

I'm anxious to see what they do with that...=).

Just started Power of a praying women by stormie Ormartian and I was just given A women after God's own heart...any one read either one?

Dake Bible

Heart of a Lion by Gilbert Morris

Is that Really you, God?

The Science of Wresting and The Art of Jiu jitsu

books...

I started reading "The End-Times Controversy" by Tim LaHeye and Thomas Ice; and I'm also delving into "The Conspiracy to Silence the Son of God" by Tal Brooke (general editor), the head of the Spiritual Counterfeits Project. Cool stuff.

Tourniquet

Right now I'm on the 21st chapter of Wheel of Time: The Shadow Rising (book 4). :biggrin Loving it.

Hello,

I rarely read a book from cover to cover as most of the books I read are for reference on a particular subject.

Today I have read "in"

Doing Archaeology in the Land of the Bible, John Currid

Jesus and the Land, Charles Page

The Holy Bible

In Mormon Circles, James Coates

Myths of the Bible, Gary Greenburg

~malaka~

The Lost Testament - David Rohl

The Lost Testament - David Rohl
  • The Lost Testament: From Eden to Exile: The Five Thousand Year History of the People of the Bible

Synopsis

The stories of the Old Testament retold from a modern, historical perspective. As the leading figure in the New Archaeology, David Rohl has been at the forefront of the movement to discover the archaeological evidence for events described in the Old Testament which we have come to think of as myths. His previous books, The Test of Time and Legend presented the arguments and counter-arguments. In The Lost Testament this discursive approach is replaced by historical story-telling, which follows the sequence of events from the rise of Neolithic civilisation a region now part of Iran which inspired the story of the Garden of Eden, through Noah, Abraham and the sojourn in Egypt, to the fall of Jericho, the dual kingdoms of the Promised Land and lastly, the exile in Babylon, where the stories of the Old Testament were collated into something very like their present form.

About the Author

David Rohl holds a degree in Egyptology and Ancient History and has travelled and excavated extensively in the Middle East. He was writer and presenter of the acclaimed television series “Pharaohs and Kings: A Biblical Questâ€.

Gary: Interesting read. Hard for me to tell how accurate his analysis is.

Reviewed here... http://www.the-bookshelf.com/soc-cul/0712669930.htm

Unveiling Islam

Unveiling Islam - Ergun and Emir Caner

0825424003.01._PE20_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Book Description

Islam is often obscured by a veil of unfamiliar beliefs, customs, and practices. We watch intriguing images of Islamic nations on our televisions. We hear words like Muslim and Jihad defined in conflicting terms.

What is Islam, truly, when you peek behind the veil? Who can explain this culture with clarity and precision?

Raised as Sunni Muslims by a leader in the Muslim faith, brothers Ergun and Emir Caner have lived the Muslim life. Now Christians and highly respected theology professors, the Caner brothers are in a unique position to present an unprecedented insider¹s look at Islam.

Unveiling Islam is a sympathetic yet uncompromising presentation of the entire scope of Islam--its practices, ethics, and beliefs, including the primary differences between Christianity and Islam. With a basic knowledge of Islam in place, the authors then present a practical strategy Christians can use to open a productive dialogue with Muslims.

About the Authors

Ergun Mehmet Caner (Th.M., Southeastern Seminary; Th.D., University of South Africa) is currently Professor of Theology and Church History at The Criswell College in Dallas, Texas. During his seventeen years as a pastor and now as a professor, Dr. Caner has lectured on apologetics, world religions, and theology in eleven countries and has been interviewed on CNN, the 700 Club, and the BBC, among many others.
Emir Fethi Caner (Ph.D., University of Texas) is currently Assistant Professor of Church History and Anabaptist Studies at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina. He speaks regularly on church history and Islam around the world and on such programs as Janet Parshall¹s America and Billy Graham¹s Decision Today Radio. His experience also includes pastoring, missions work, and church planting.

Gary: I recommend this book. If you only buy ONE book about Islam, then this should be it.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 22-2849462

What I'm Reading

My daughter gave me "To Live is Christ" by Beth Moore. It's based on the life of Paul. Excellent book--certainly makes you think. I'm also reading Rochelle Kirch's mystery "The Shadows of Sin." It's interesting in the fact that the heroine police detective is learning about the Jewish faith.

Because I'm also a writer, I'd like to offer a copy of my Christian horror, "Deeds of Darkness" to the first two people who e-mail me privately and ask. I know that the Lord gave me the ideas for this book and I'd very much like to get it into the hands of as many people as possible. I also know that word of mouth is the best advertising there is.

Marilyn
mmeredith@ocsnet.net

I like reading any book written by Max Lucado.
He has a nice style of presenting things from the bible.
He has a way of explaining scriptures that I would read and not understand.
I highly recommend any of his books.

One of the more recent secular books that I was reading was an Agatha Christie novel...I think that it was "4:50 from Paddington."

As for Christian books, the last one that I was looking at was a book by Deborah Newman, published by Tyndale House, called "Loving Your Body: Embracing Your True Beauty in Christ." It's about developing a healthy body image by identifying who you are in Christ first.

JAfan

Just finished reading Cape Refuge and Southern Storm. Both are by Terri Blackstock. Awesome books! I highly recommend both.....I read each in about 2 days. Jill

I reading (or rereading)

The Way of the Pilgrim

Thai Boxing Dynamite

Why I believe

Knowledge of the Holy

and

Storming Toward Armageddon

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00