Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Church is This?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Matt 16

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

If this Church apostasized or taught lies, wouldn't that mean that the gates of Hell had prevailed?

Given the promise of Jesus, isn't it safe to assume that this Church is still with us?

chestertonrules said:
Matt 16

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

If this Church apostasized or taught lies, wouldn't that mean that the gates of Hell had prevailed?

Given the promise of Jesus, isn't it safe to assume that this Church is still with us?

This church(assembly)is that assembly that is called out of the graves on the last day.
This is the real deal.

Not an assembly called by your local preacher and his church bells.
This church is called with the trump of God and the voice of the arc angel.

Shilohsfoal said:
chestertonrules said:
Matt 16

This church(assembly)is that assembly that is called out of the graves on the last day.
This is the real deal.

So Jesus built a Church that doesn't exist?

The church is the body of believers throughout the ages, not just one specific assembly out of many. It is ALL true Christians, all those who are part of the Body of Christ.

chestertonrules said:
Matt 16

This was the church of Acts, and is the remnant of true believers, and will be the Church of Revelation, when we begin to walk in the power that God has given us the authority to walk in.

chestertonrules said:

ABSOLUTELY!

The Church of scripture is one united ecclesial body (Eph 4:3-4; Eph 4:13-16; Jn 17:21; Mt 16:18) without schismatic divisions (1 Cor 12:25; Rom 16:17; 1 Cor 1:10; Jude 1:19; Gal 5:20; 3 John 1:9-10), with one teaching for all the churches (Acts 15:22-23,25,28/Acts 16:4-5; 1 Tim 1:3; 1 Cor 1:10; Eph 4:5; Jude 1:3), and one bishopric authorized of and by the apostles (Titus 1:5) by the laying on of hands in ordination (Heb 6:2; 2 Tim 1:6; 1 Tim 4:14; Titus 1:5), sharing ministers back and forth among all churches (1 Cor 16:3; Rom 16:1,3,9,21,23; Phil 2:19,25; Titus 3:12), receiving one another in fellowship and in greeting (Rom 15:5-7; Rom 16:16; Col 4:10,12,14; 3 John 1:9-10), where excommunication removes individuals from this one body (Matt 18:17; 1 Corinthians 5:1-2,4-5), and which existed from St. Peter and the apostles unto today (Matt 16:18-19; Eph 3:21).

Caroline H said:
The church is the body of believers throughout the ages, not just one specific assembly out of many. It is ALL true Christians, all those who are part of the Body of Christ.

How do we use the non specific assembly to settle disputes?

Matt 18
17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

How does this work if there is not a commonly held understanding of what the church is?

The church is the body of Christ, made of every true believer in Christ Jesus. It is not a building or religious system. It is not a denomination. It is not a preacher with some laity. It is a living water speaking Holy Spirit leading united, knit together, Body of Christ flesh of His flesh bone of His bone.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.

Col 1:24 ¶ Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Hbr 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Hbr 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Hbr 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.

GodspromisesRyes said:
The church is the body of Christ, made of every true believer in Christ Jesus. It is not a building or religious system. It is not a denomination. It is not a preacher with some laity. It is a living water speaking Holy Spirit leading united, knit together, Body of Christ flesh of His flesh bone of His bone.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.

Col 1:24 ¶ Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Hbr 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Hbr 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Hbr 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.

How does this passage make sense unless the Church is a commonly acknowledged authority?

Matt 18
17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Also, this:

1 Timothy 3
15if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

If the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth, how can it be that Christians disagree on central matters of the faith? Isn't this a sign that they are not all listening to the Church?

chestertonrules said:
Shilohsfoal said:
chestertonrules said:
Matt 16

This is the real deal.

So Jesus built a Church that doesn't exist?

There are many churches called by many men.Do you really think Jesus built the church that Jim Jones called?
Jesus is speaking of "his"church.

In revelation,Jesus said to write to "the"churches.He does not say they are his,but in the verse you are quoting.Jesus said it is his.

Shilohsfoal said:
There are many churches called by many men.Do you really think Jesus built the church that Jim Jones called?

In revelation,Jesus said to write to "the"churches.He does not say they are his,but in the verse you are quoting.Jesus said it is his.

Jesus built his Church on Peter. He told us to follow the leaders of his Church.

chestertonrules said:
Shilohsfoal said:

Jesus built his Church on Peter. He told us to follow the leaders of his Church.
Peter is not the chief corner stone nor is Peter the foundation.
Im quite sure Peter would agree with me on this.

Shilohsfoal said:
chestertonrules said:
Shilohsfoal said:

Peter is not the chief corner stone nor is Peter the foundation.
Im quite sure Peter would agree with me on this.

Peter was appointed to be the leader of the Church Jesus built.

The scriptures are quite clear about this. Jesus established a Church on earth to preserve and proclaim the Truth.

Why did Jesus give Simon alone the keys to the Kingdom?

Why did Jesus change Simon's name to Rock?

chestertonrules said:
Peter was appointed to be the leader of the Church Jesus built.

The scriptures are quite clear about this. Jesus established a Church on earth to preserve and proclaim the Truth.

Why did Jesus give Simon alone the keys to the Kingdom?

Why did Jesus change Simon's name to Rock?
That is a Catholic teaching. This is what scripture says:
Zechariah 6:12
Tell him this is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Here is the man whose name is the Branch, and he will branch out from his place and build the temple of the LORD.

John 15:5
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Matthew 16:17. Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [this/that] [rock/Rock] I will build my church,...

NASB
Mat 4:18
Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.

It seems that Simon already had the nick name Rock before Yahshua met him. Therefore Yahshua did not name him Rock, but was only calling him by his nick name. That would mean that Yahshua was speaking of the Father being that Rock, which is used often in scriptures. It's like saying, I call you by you nick name Rock, but upon THAT Rock [The Father] I will build my congregation. The word [church] is not scriptural.
This scripture Should have been translated as: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on The Rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on The Rock."

Yahwah being That Rock. Yahwah is called The Rock many times in scriptures.
Did Yahshua want the Congregation to be built upon God The Rock, or Simon whom he called Peter?

Folks Jesus didn't build His church on Peter or any man. He built it upon Himself. There is a difference, a big difference between Peter's name Cephas and the word rock. The original is very plain on that.

God bless
duval

Folks Jesus didn't build His church on Peter or any man. He built it upon Himself. There is a difference, a big difference between Peter's name Cephas and the word rock. The original is very plain on that.

Amen to that, totally agree

Further I agree with the poster that posted this

duval said:

God bless
duval

Cephas means rock, as does Petros.

Jesus gave Peter alone the keys to the Kingdom.

Why did he do that?

mdo757 said:
[

Did Yahshua want the Congregation to be built upon God The Rock, or Simon whom he called Peter? [/size]

Jesus started a Church in order to preserve the Truth and to proclaim it to the World.

He chose leaders for this Church, and one leader to lead the leaders.

The bible is quite clear about these facts.

chestertonrules said:
mdo757 said:
[

Did Yahshua want the Congregation to be built upon God The Rock, or Simon whom he called Peter? [/size]

Jesus started a Church in order to preserve the Truth and to proclaim it to the World.

He chose leaders for this Church, and one leader to lead the leaders.

The bible is quite clear about these facts.

If the popes really walked according to Peter, the would be married and there would be no systematic sodomy, child abuse and the shedding of innocent blood over many, many centuries within the walls of this church.

The real church is founded by the power of the Holy Spirit which none of the ''popes'' had or have today.

If they truly walked according to Peter they would do the miracles that Peter did. There is only carnal power from the leadership and cover up of the sins mentionned above.

When Jesus comes He will take back the keys of the Kingdom as Jesus is the heir, the popes may say they want Jesus back, but they will deny him like the pharisees of old for fear of loosing there moral power and dominion over the 7 hills. (world)

Jesus has now the power over eternal life and death, the judgment you now see over the RCC in this Day is no coincidence, Jesus is cleaning His house.

And Mary is all to happy to let Her Son back in and do the job of judgment... This began in earnest when John-Paul 2nd asked forgiveness to the world for past sins.

The Fire of the Lord is kindled, now the entire RCC is at risk of because of bad and corrupt leaders.

I pray for mercy as there are many good ones within the walls of the RCC.

So please remember the true church is upheld by the Holy Spirit and not the flesh of man.

The Greek name Peter sounds similar to the Greek word for rock. Jesus is referred to as the cornerstone that the builders rejected in Psalm 118: 22, Matt 21:42, Eph 2:20, and 1 Peter 2:7. Jesus had just asked his disciples who they thought he was, and Peter was the one who piped up and confessed that Jesus was the "Christ." So Jesus, using a play on words, said that upon this rock, or foundation or corner stone, which was the confession of Jesus as God's Messiah, he would build his church. The church is made up of people who confess Jesus as LORD, meaning that Jesus is the cornerstone of our faith that everything hinges upon. He said that he would give the keys of the kingdom of heaven to Peter for his faith, and I believe that we have that promise as well. That simply means that we have access to God. Jesus didn't base his "church" on one man named Peter, for it was and is Jesus himself who is the head of the body of Christ, which is the "church."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back