Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the 'mark' of a True Christian

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Stove,

Perhaps I misunderstood your PREVIOUS post. In order to keep my responses in a reasonable length, I will reply to one issue at a time:

first, I believe that your comment that I first addressed was about a 'new Christian' in your church. I contend that perhaps he is NOT the 'new Christian' that you have been LED to 'believe' that HE IS. That he is perhaps simply PRETENDING to BE a 'new Christian' in order to appease his NEEDS. That in ORDER to STEAL the pastors car and credit cards, this man is simply PRETENDING to Be what it TAKES in order to obtain that which serves his darkened heart.

Perhaps I am WRONG. I am NOT able to judge the heart of ANYONE. But I am certainly ABLE to discern the spirit of the actions that are OBVIOUSLY perpetrated by an individual. That is WHY I offered the scriptural evidence in my last post.

MEC

Stove,

I made NO attempt to 'paint ANY picture of your character'. Perhaps is the the TEACHING that you are receiving that is able to offer a 'picture'.

To 'take pleasure' in them that DO them is NOT to participate in their deeds except in the ACCEPTANCE of them.

Example:

If I choose to IGNORE a man's drunken abuse of his wife in the Body, then I am in essence 'taking pleasure in his actions'. By NOT 'standing up' and making an EFFORT to inform him of his actions, if I am UNWILLING to eliminate fellowship WITH HIM for the sake of the edification of the Body, then I have essentially CONDONED the actions of this individual.

Forgiveness does NOT mean that we are to IGNORE.

If this 'individual' in this scenario IS a 'born again' member of the Body, then my words of rebuke WOULD be ABLE to allow the Spirit TO CONVICT this individual; thus allowing the Spirit to heal the 'spirit' that CAUSED such behavior. If my words of rebuke were NOT able to bring about understanding in this individual, then he is OBVIOUSLY NOT a 'part' of the SAME BODY.

All that hear words of the Christ WILL NOT BE SAVED. MOST that simply HEAR will NOT find truth OR Salvation. Most will HEAR and then continue to 'live for this world'. Offering a 'false testimony' to the TRUE Christ.

I cannot alter this TRUTH. I can ONLY accept the will of God and that which HE is able to perform in the lives of those of this world. That MANY that profess do so in 'falsehood' is NOT something that I can alter. But I AM given the ABILITY to discern the 'spirit' that dwells within the hearts of those that 'profess' IF I submit to The Spirit's guidance.

MEC

Stove,

I have CONDEMNED NO ONE. I am UNABLE to 'save' nor am I able to 'CONDEMN'. But I am able to 'SEE'.

Let me offer ANOTHER piece of scripture that may or may not have the ability to 'enlighten': "Cast NOT your pearls before the swine". It's ONE THING to attempt to HELP someone. But it's another to BLIND oneself to the TRUTH.

I would appreciate your testimony of HOW God has 'changed the life' of an individual that is STILL stealing from the pastor of your church. So,........, what? He only steals HALF as much as he USED to? Or he only gets high NOW HALF as often as he USED to? Or, does he 'speak in tongues' MORE than anyone else? What is the 'change' that has taken place in his life? VERBAL testimony? He is able to cunningly SPEAK in ways that MOVE others? From the story that you offered I was able to discern NOTHING other than this man living WORSE than MANY that live FOR THIS WORLD. For I know many that don't BELIEVE in a God or His Son that would NEVER perform such an act as you discribed. So WHAT makes his life NOW different than what it was BEFORE? Enlighten ME.

Do you NOT realize that there WILL BE and ARE those that HAVE 'felt' the Spirit but are NOT WILLING to 'submit to it'? And for these it is NO DIFFERENT than that offered in scripture when Christ offered that NO ONE is able to 'come to God' EXCEPT through HIM, and NO ONE is able to come to HIM except GIVEN them BY THE FATHER. MANY that previously followed Christ TURNED AWAY and followed Him NO MORE. Get it?

You mistake my UNDERSTANDING of what you offered as 'condemnation'. I am NOT here to condemn ANYONE. I have simply offered scripture and understanding that MANY are unwilling or unable to accept.

MEC

Stove,

I know NOTHING of your particular denominational 'church'. That is irrelevant to ME. But what I offered is that MANY of the denominations out there today couldn't care LESS about WHO attends so long as 'warm bodies' are in attendance.

I offered PURE and DISTINCT scriptural evidence written TO a 'church' that was DOING THIS VERY THING and the UNDERSTANDING offered by PAUL that it was NOT to be so. Whether is was a 'money' issue or simply those in leadership being TOO LAZY to 'stand up' I cannot say. For the REASON that they were ALLOWING this man to BE a part of their Body is not given. But it was MOST likely that the man was wealthy and the church didn't want to offend one that was able to contribute substantially. We DON'T know the EXACT REASON that they continued to allow him to BE a 'member'.

But we certainly have Paul's words in REBUKE. Not only of the actions of this MAN, but of the CHURCH itself. And of all that Paul wrote, this is one of the ONLY instances where it is CLEAR that there was not only 'grief in his heart' over the situation, but a BIT OF ANGER as well. For his reply concerning returning with a 'rod' is pure indication that he was referning NOT ONLY to 'words' of rebuke, but ACTUAL reference to PUNISHMENT for their LACK of ability to discern THROUGH The Spirit HOW they SHOULD respond to such a situation. No different than the response offered to Peter and others over and over: HOW LONG MUST I BE AMONG YOU?

And NEVER forget this: EVERY 'good feeling' to the FLESH or 'spirit of man' is NOT offered from above. For often times the WORDS of a 'crafty speaker' can LEAD US TO BELIEVE that which is CONTRARY to The Word THROUGH the 'emotions' that it envokes. I will leave this 'as a parable' to BE UNDERSTOOD by those that ARE able to UNDERSTAND it. For ''I" cannot offer in understanding what the Spirit is unable to convict.

MEC

MEC said:
Stove,

Perhaps I misunderstood your PREVIOUS post. In order to keep my responses in a reasonable length, I will reply to one issue at a time:

first, I believe that your comment that I first addressed was about a 'new Christian' in your church. I contend that perhaps he is NOT the 'new Christian' that you have been LED to 'believe' that HE IS. That he is perhaps simply PRETENDING to BE a 'new Christian' in order to appease his NEEDS. That in ORDER to STEAL the pastors car and credit cards, this man is simply PRETENDING to Be what it TAKES in order to obtain that which serves his darkened heart.

Perhaps I am WRONG. I am NOT able to judge the heart of ANYONE. But I am certainly ABLE to discern the Spirit of the actions that are OBVIOUSLY perpetrated by an individual. That is WHY I offered the scriptural evidence in my last post.

MEC

Yes MEC, you certainly did misunderstand me. Perhaps you misunderstood me due to our differences in how we view salvation? You see, I believe that when one submits to Christ through baptism, (knowing that baptism is more than an act of getting dunked), one is most assuredly promised the gift of the Holy Spirit. Does this mean that one can’t grieve the Holy Spirit? I believe that one can grieve the Holy Spirit. Can one walk away from Christ? To this I also answer yes, one can walk away from Christ, which is to say; one can walk away from their salvation. If you’re not seeing it by now, I do not believe in OSAS. What I do believe, is that our walk with Christ is a journey, a walk that often starts at baptism.

If we look at salvation as a one time event, then being born again is the end all be all to salvation. I do not agree with this doctrine for we need to ‘STAY in CHRIST’. We must endure the trials and temptations that ultimately strengthen us IF WE REMAIN in HIM. When one backslides, they simply are not “In Christâ€Â, but rather they are living the life of the old man.

James 1:21-24 Therefore put away all filthiness and extreme wickedness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror: For he beholds himself, and goes his way, and immediately forgets what manner of man he was.

We hear, we submit, we act. Baptism is no different. We hear the Word, we Submit to the Word, we act upon the Word. Salvation is a journey, not a destination and each one of us is on a different section of the path.

I will try and read /respond to your other two post later today if I have the time.

Peace and Grace

Stove,

My intent is NOT to 'irritate' with words. My intent is to offer edification THROUGH The Word. If you choose to find it 'irritating', that is through YOUR spirit and not my words.

If you KNOW your church then there is NOTHING that I can offer that SHOULD be able to offer ANY kind of 'negative FEELINGS' in YOU. Those feeling are from YOUR heart, NOT MINE.

We were told to 'grow UP' in Spirit. To PUT AWAY 'childish things'. I contend that 'personal pride' is ONE of 'those things'.

Your PARTICULAR denomination is NOTHING if NOT able to conform to the Word. Regardless of HOW IT MAKES YOU FEEL, if it does NOT conform to that which IS a 'part' of the TRUE Body of Christ, it is NOT ONLY IRRELEVANT, but DOOMED to that which befalls ALL those that follow 'this world'. I cannot answer questions concerning it's validity. I know NOTHING about it other than what you have offered.

Is the Body HOLY? Is it PURE? Now, HOW do we ENSURE that it REMAINS this WAY? By entering in the sacriment WITH those that are LOST? By 'overlooking' those that ARE LIVING IN SIN for the sake of 'community'? We ARE ALL brothers and sisters Stove, but we are NOT all able to 'RECEIVE' that which has been OFFERED. And The Church IS to be MAINTAINED by those that HAVE received the 'gift of life'. Is the WHOLE WORLD The Church? And IF we are UNABLE to discern those that ARE members of the Body, then HOW are we to KEEP The Church Holy? Or does this EVEN MATTER?

MEC

Imagican said:
Stove,

I know NOTHING of your particular denominational 'church'. That is irrelevant to ME. But what I offered is that MANY of the denominations out there today couldn't care LESS about WHO attends so long as 'warm bodies' are in attendance.

You know nothing about the church I attend. Exactly!

Do you not see that you are clumping the church that I attend, the church that YOU admit to knowing "NOTHING" about with churches that (and let me quote you)"couldn't care LESS about WHO attends so long as 'warm bodies' are in attendance."

By saying that in the context of our discussion, it portrays the picture that we (the church I attend since the person spoken about is a member of the same church) are willing to allow sinful acts in our church for a quick buck and a warm seat... Do you see this?

Imagican said:
I offered PURE and DISTINCT scriptural evidence written TO a 'church' that was DOING THIS VERY THING and the UNDERSTANDING offered by PAUL that it was NOT to be so. Whether is was a 'money' issue or simply those in leadership being TOO LAZY to 'stand up' I cannot say. For the REASON that they were ALLOWING this man to BE a part of their Body is not given. But it was MOST likely that the man was wealthy and the church didn't want to offend one that was able to contribute substantially. We DON'T know the EXACT REASON that they continued to allow him to BE a 'member'.

But we certainly have Paul's words in REBUKE. Not only of the actions of this MAN, but of the CHURCH itself. And of all that Paul wrote, this is one of the ONLY instances where it is CLEAR that there was not only 'grief in his heart' over the situation, but a BIT OF ANGER as well. For his reply concerning returning with a 'rod' is pure indication that he was referning NOT ONLY to 'words' of rebuke, but ACTUAL reference to PUNISHMENT for their LACK of ability to discern THROUGH The Spirit HOW they SHOULD respond to such a situation. No different than the response offered to Peter and other over and over: HOW LONG MUST I BE AMONG YOU?

And NEVER forget this: EVERY 'good feeling' to the FLESH or 'spirit of man' is NOT offered from above. For often times the WORDS of a 'crafty speaker' can LEAD US TO BELIEVE that which is CONTRARY to The Word THROUGH the 'emotions' that it envokes. I will leave this 'as a parable' to BE UNDERSTOOD by those that ARE able to UNDERSTAND it. For ''I" cannot offer in understanding what the Spirit is unable to convict.

MEC

None of what you have OFFERED in this post pertains to this topic and it certainly has NOTHING to DO with the CHURCH I ATTEND>

Stove,

These are words WORTHY of offering but ONLY if taken IN context;

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

You quoted it, now let me ask this: Is this a OVERALL statement of FAITH? Is this ALL there IS to a 'receiving of the Holy Spirit'? Or is there MORE to it that is offered IN SCRIPTURE? Are we to TAKE individual statements and BASE our undertanding on THESE, or is The Word a COMBINATION of statements and truth that is to be taken as a WHOLE?

In other words, the statement that you offered above was NOT written to YOU and ME. It was a statement MADE to those PRESENT at the TIME it was STATED. For US to 'take this LITERALLY' is to 'take it OUT of context' and to BASE one's perceptions on such a statement is to accept a VERY LIMITED understanding INDEED.

MEC

While we can't seem to come to a proper conclusion on what makes one a true Christian, there are some things that come to mind that any Christian should not do. Some of these things are part of this Site's ToS:

4 - No Trolling:

You will not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Don't make inflammatory remarks just to get a response. This will also include posts that put down Christianity in general or any posts considered as blasphemy by staff.

7 - Any personal problems with another member, then deal with it through private messages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And The Church IS to be MAINTAINED by those that HAVE received the 'gift of life'.
Who determine who has this gift? Plus, we are not a church; we are the Lord's ekklesia, His congregation, His ekklesia. A church is a building. ;-)

I think the mark of a good Christian can be summed up in 1 Corinthians 13. Love for another, whether or not you subscribe to their particular "brand" of belief should be unconditional and as Rick has pointed out in his post, "One that controls his tongue and not the other way around."

Be careful MEC, I fear you are becoming just like the Pharisee, in Luke 18. :-?

Through your DEFENSIVE words Stove, it seems that you are insistant upon 'trying' to offer a 'defense'. I have accused neither YOU nor your church of ANYTHING. I simply offered words of edification concerning scripture. If your church is ABLE, it can ONLY IMPLICATE ITSELF or 'justify itself'. That is NOT up to ME to offer one way or the other.

Look, I didn't offer what I offered to CAUSE offense. Let me apologize NOW for any that they may have caused. i thought I was simply offering UNDERSTANDING. I am NOT devoted to ANY church, (so far as denomination is concerned). That this makes others uncomfortable with my words then I apologize. But I do NOT pretend to accept, nor will I 'bow' to ANY denomination. That the 'feelings' of those that DO will be 'touched' by my words is OFTEN indicative of a 'devotion' to a 'religion' rather than a simple following of Christ through The Word.

We have witnessed over and over again how the CC teaches that one MUST adhere to it's teachings or be considered OUTSIDE of the 'one true church'. And MOST other denominations TEACH the SAME thing. I don't believe that EITHER have come to a 'better understanding' UNTIL they are able to shed themselves of such and follow in the Spirit of the ONE TRUE CHURCH which is NOT an 'organization' that teaches 'their way'. It is that Body that conforms to the TRUTH as offered in Word and Spirit. And NO MATTER how much 'talk' one is able to generate in the DEFENSE of THEIR denomination, if what I offer IS TRUTH, then they are ALL mostly in error of their 'our way' mentality.

MEC

vic C. said:
While we can't seem to come to a proper conclusion on what makes one a true Christian, there are some things that come to mind that any Christian should not do. Some of these things are part of this Site's ToS:

4 - No Trolling:

You will not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Don't make inflammatory remarks just to get a response. This will also include posts that put down Christianity in general or any posts considered as blasphemy by staff.

7 - Any personal problems with another member, then deal with it through private messages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote:2fca4]And The Church IS to be MAINTAINED by those that HAVE received the 'gift of life'.
Who determine who has this gift? Plus, we are not a church; we are the Lord's ekklesia, His congregation, His ekklesia. A church is a building. ;-)

I think the mark of a good Christian can be summed up in 1 Corinthians 13. Love for another, whether or not you subscribe to their particular "brand" of belief should be unconditional and as Rick has pointed out in his post, "One that controls his tongue and not the other way around."

Be careful MEC, I fear you are becoming just like the Pharisee, in Luke 18. :-?[/quote:2fca4]

I completed an extensive 'reply' to this post and decided that it 'may be considered trolling' so I deleted it and will simply offer this:

My apologies to ANY that FEEL that I have offered offense in my statements. And I MEAN it. I am NOT simply SAYING it. But I cannot apologize for 'telling the TRUTH' regardless of who's feelings it may 'hurt'.

But to the last sentence in your post Vic, I offer NO LAW. You are free to DO and SAY whatever you choose in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'll agree with it. But the ONLY way in which I COULD accurately be compared to the Pharasees would be in 'saying one thing and DOING another'. I have offered NO SUCH indication, so it seems that this remark was MORE along the lines of what you indicated in accusation of ME than ANYTHING that I have offered in response to Stove.

If my posts had NO ability to enlighten or were sensed to BE purposely disruptive to this thread, PLEASE, by ALL MEANS, you will NOT offend me by deleting them. I am NOT here to cause ANYONE to 'stumble'. Just the OPPOSITE in FACT.

MEC

Hi Stove - I've seen your response to what I've stated a day or so ago and have quickly scanned through the intervening posts both you & MEC have made and would like to ask for clarification of something from you. Do you believe that a person can in effect choose to receive the Holy Spirit by virtue of their decision to baptised? I take it this is a Catholic doctrine but was just wondering if it is believed by other denominations also.

Blessings

Hi Mutz,

Here is the easiest way I can describe what our church teaches on baptism. I would encourage you to purchase the book. It's easy reading and very complete. It's not a large book and if you have the time, you should be able to read it in just a couple of settings. What do you have to loose?

http://johnmarkhicks.faithsite.com/cont ... ?CID=53318
John Mark Hicks said:
Baptism is more important than you think, but not for the reasons you suppose.

Many believe baptism is simply the sign of salvation already received. Others believe it is an indispensable command that legally divides those heading to heaven from those going to hell. Baptism is more important than either think.

Baptism is a performative, or effectual, sign through which God works by his Holy Spirit to forgive, renew, sanctify and transform. It is a symbol by which we participate in the reality that it symbolizes. We must not reduce it to a mere symbol or sign that only looks to the past without any present power or reality. Baptism is more important than that.

Neither is baptism, however, the technical line between heaven and hell. It is not primarily a loyalty test or a command satisfied by legal performance of the rite. We must not reduce baptism to a line in the sand. Such a reading of baptism’s function reduces its significance to a technical legal requirement. Baptism is more important than that.

While baptism is both a sign and a command, it is more. While it signifies participation in the gospel and submission to it is obedience to the divine will, baptism points beyond itself and effectually participates in God’s transforming work. God is at work through baptism to transform fallen humanity into his own image, to transform the fallen human community into a people who share the life of the divine, triune community.

God’s goal is to conform humanity to the image of his Son (Romans 8:29-30). Transformation is God’s fundamental aim. Everything God does, everything God commands, serves that goal. Baptism serves that end. Baptism must never trump, negate or simply point to a faint testimony of transformation, but transformation must always shape and determine baptismal theology.

Baptism is important because it serves the end of God’s transforming work. It is more important than a sign or a command because its significance lies in its function as a means of transformation into the divine image and inclusion in the divine community where divine presence empowers transformation. It is not simply one among many commands, but neither is it the command. Baptism is God’s transforming work and serves the divine goal of transformation.

Hey thanks for that Stove. I visited the web site . . . actually a couple of times at least and will return because there is quite a bit there.

I can't say that I agree with all I read but is provoking some thought. Interesting that this movement seems to sort of take a middle line (in some respects) between Calvinism and Arminianism. Did it come into being in the early 1800's?

Blessings

Mark 16:15-20; 'And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following
'.

The 'mark' of a true Christian is the signs Jesus said follow them.

Oracle said:
Mark 16:15-20; 'And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following
'.

The 'mark' of a true Christian is the signs Jesus said follow them.

What does this mean then?

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

mutzrein said:
What does this mean then?

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

It would be nice if you quoted the whole passage.

Matthew 7:21-27; 'Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not; for it was founded upon a rock.
26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it
'.

What Jesus said was not a swipe against those who perform miracles, but rather those who do not obey God's word. If you don't have the signs which Jesus said follow believers, you're not even in the race. Having the signs following though, does not exempt one from obeying God's word.

Since we are UNABLE to LITERALLY 'judge the hearts' of our brothers and sisters IN, (or NOT), Christ, we are ONLY left with the information that we have been offered in such matters of discernment. We ARE able to 'judge the FRUIT' of The Spirit. And even though one MAY well be ABLE to offer 'signs' of the TRUTH, even the demons are able to exhibit 'false signs' as well.

He who LOVES his brothers and sisters have ONLY 'learned this' through The Spirit. And I refer NOT to 'false love' but TRUE LOVE. Those that willingly and lovingly SERVE their brothers and sisters THROUGH LOVE, are the sons of God.

Now, IS THERE an ABSOLUTE 'foolproof MARK' that is ABLE to distinguish the 'true Christian' from one that is simply 'playing the game'? Not sure. But I CAN assure you that given time and observance, one CAN SEE the TRUE Fruit offered in one's life that DOES follow Christ in Word and DEED. And this works BOTH WAYS. For those that are 'simply PRETENDING' will REVEAL themselves and their motives as well.

MEC

Sorry for not responing earlier. I have been away and am just now getting back to finish up some loose ends that I've left around the forum.
mutzrein said:
Hey thanks for that Stove. I visited the web site . . . actually a couple of times at least and will return because there is quite a bit there.
Glad you liked it. I enjoy reading or listening to the works of John Mark Hicks and another fellow named Rubel Shelly within the Church of Christ.

mutzrein said:
I can't say that I agree with all I read but is provoking some thought. Interesting that this movement seems to sort of take a middle line (in some respects) between Calvinism and Arminianism. Did it come into being in the early 1800's?

Blessings

Glad you found it provoking. It's good to be stirred. As far as it (restoration movement) coming into being around the 1800's, I suppose that would all be perspective.

Funny but if it wasn't for the Catholic church's compiling of the bible itself, no one here would even have one. There would be no Christianity and we wouldn't be having these forums. The Catholic church gave you your bibles. All of you. I think everyone here should thank her for preserving and protecting it all these years, 2,000 of them. Even if it meant excommunicating people (Luther), who try and changed the word of God. (And he did succeed in his German version).[/quote]

Hmmm....maybe you should take some more courses on the Reformations of the 16th and 17th centuries, and branch out from there.

I'm taking courses from college professors, who, I'm pretty sure, are pro-Catholic, and they didn't teach anything like that.

It wasn't until the first century B.C. that Jews settled on the canon of their scripture, and it was around 400 A.D that Christians agreed on all the books of their New Testament.
Granted, the Catholic religion had permeated much of Europe, and had gained much political control and influenced all the communities in Europe, but, the Catholics did not "give us" the bible.
Please do a bit of reading up on the differences, and origins, of
the Textus Receptus, and the Vaticanus and Siniaticus.

http://www.av1611.org/kjv/fight.html#fight7
When someone "corrects" the King James Bible with "more authoritative manuscripts" or "older manuscripts," they're usually making some reference to Sinaiticus or Vaticanus. These are two fourth century uncials that are the primary manuscripts that Westcott and Hort relied so heavily on when constructing their Greek text (1851-1871) on which the new versions are based.

http://www.kjvuser.com/textusreceptus.htm

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back