Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study What Jesus Taught. An Introduction following the Sermon on the Mount and other teachings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Before continuing on with the next lessons as we follow Jesus's sermons, I want to focus on prayer a little more. Because Jesus teaches more regarding prayer, so it should be known here before moving on.

Scripture Reference.

Mark 1120-25
20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

Mathew 18:19-20
19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

In Mark 11 after Jesus's disciples were suprised seeing Jesus's curse on a barren fig tree come true, Jesus used the occasion to teach. Saying, “Have faith in God. Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

In Mathew 18:19-20. Jesus encourages our fellowship even in prayer. Saying that if two or three come come together in Jesus's name, then Jesus will be among them. If they agree on anything and ask for it God will give it to them.

Scripture Reference.
John 14:1-31

14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”

23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

28 “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. 30 I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, 31 but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

“Come now; let us leave.

In John 14, After Jesus pridicets one more time to the disciples about his death, Jesus reassures His disciples. The whole conversation is worth while, but regarding prayer, Jesus adds in it that ask for anything in Jesus's name, and it will be granted. Here's the conversation as it follows. Jesus reassures His disciples saying, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going thereto prepare a place for you?And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” I'm sure with the discuragement in the disciples' hearts are what caused them to question Jesus. First Thomas questions Jesus, saying that they do not know where Jesus is going so how will they know the way. Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will knowmy Father as well.From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” With that Philip asks for Jesus to show them the Father, then that will be enough for them. Again though I assume these questions and this conversation is due to the Disciples' discouraged hearts. Jesus replied this way.

"Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father.How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Jesus continues his talk with the disciples talking about loving Jesus and receiving the Holy Spirit. "If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth.The world cannot accept him,because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” Once more, one of the disciples gives a question, asking Jesus why He has shown himself to them but not the world as a whole. Jesus repeats what he said that those who love Jesus will obey His commands, and that God will love them and Jesus will love them, but those who don't love Jesus won't obey the commands. He says this is not just Himself saying this but Is from God. Then Jesus continues on.

"All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

"You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me."

This concludes the talk Jesus gave in John 14. We should be encouraged that Jesus promises to prepare a place for us in Heaven. Be encouraged that Jesus freely promised the Holy Spirit to guide and comfort us if we ask for Him. Know that our loving Jesus has a direct relation to obeying His commandments. And Know that those who believe in Jesus have the potential to do as Jesus had done.

With prayer, know that along with praying in privite alone, praying in privite with one or two other people is good too. It invites Jesus to be there among us, even if He is already there with the Holy Spirit when we are alone. Be encouraged in our fellowships even in prayer life. Have faith in what God can do, and in our asking God. With faith a mustard seed knows it will become a mustard tree. Have that kind of faith in God answering our requests. With regard to the Holy Spirit. Be encouraged. Jesus said if we ask for the Spirit God will grant us His Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Scripture References.

Mathew 6:16-34,
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face,18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Luke 12:13-34
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Let's move on. Following on in Jesus's Sermon on the mount, after Jesus taught about prayer, He taught about fasting. He said again to not be like the hypocrites, who try to make it obvious that they are fasting, and disfigure their face. As with other public displays for the attention of others, Jesus again says they've already received their rewards. Instead Jesus says to put olive oil on our head and wash our face, so it will not be obvious that we are fasting. Then our Father in Heaven, who sees all secrets will reward us.

Jesus compares riches on earth to riches in Heaven. Saying: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

In Luke 12:13-21, Jesus gives more light on this by warning us against greed. Starting with a man telling Jesus to tell the man's brother to split their inheritance, Jesus replies. "Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
"But God said to him, ‘You fool!This very night your life will be demanded from you.Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

"This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Jesus then teaches us about the light within is. "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!" To me, it seems like Jesus is not talking about our vision, but talking about what we focus on. Which corresponds directly with what he teaches next. Bringing the lesson back to greed. Saying, “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

Both in the Sermon on the Mount in Mathew and in Luke 12, after Jesus taught about treasures in Heaven and warned against greed, Jesus taught us to not worry. Because both of these lessons are side by side in the gospels that Jesus taught them, I suggest they should be regarded together.

Scripture References.

Mathew 6:25-34
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Luke 12:22-34
22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendorwas dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Continuing from his last lesson, Jesus teaches about worry. "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

In both the Sermon on the Mount and in Luke 12, Jesus teaches very closely about worry. But in Luke 12:32-34, Jesus adds: "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

As an adolescent growing to become a man, and even as an adult now in his 30s, for me one of the harder lessons Jesus gave was the stricter nature in to not murder, and not lust as part of adultry. Though now as an adult the difficulty to not worry and to care about the treasures in heaven instead of the ones here on earth are just as difficult, sometimes more so. This is something I was not worried about when I was an adolescent.

What can we say about hoarding treasures here on earth? Let's be reasonable and say what we've been taught concerning saving money, and accruing our loved treasures that we own, that we live in, and that we drive. It is good and practical to save money so we can be both successful and avoid debt and poverty. With this in mind I'm sure many of you can relate to the farmer who, when he was in excess, built a larger barn. What can be wrong with that? Anyone who has struggled to be successful would hope to have that luck and insight. But this is not what God says with regard to hoarding treasures. From Luke's sermon with blessings and woes, we learn of God's view of being rich and well off in an unjust world.

So if we have excess, unless God tells us, gives us a warning to save it for future years of hardship as He did once for Egypt in the Old Testiment; unless we have that insight from God, we are to be generous and to give to the poor, feed the hungry. And in effect be an extension of God's kindness and caring to those who need it by our actions. Let me tell you, for me this is difficult with the responsibilities and consquences of our success and failure weighing on us. I would ask God to let me be kind, and loving, and helpful, and ignore that I am not generous as well. And I would ask this because of the worry and the burdens I feel. But Jesus encourages us by saying do not worry. God knows our needs and provides. So with this in mind let us not worry, but instead look to serve God and hope for the treasures and rewards He has for us.

Jesus has given us insight to having God's favor. Pray to be heard by God alone, or in privite with a small group for God. Give in secret, and fast in secret, and be generous. So far these are things we can do to show God that we mean to do what we do for Him, not for ourselves.

Last edited:
The sermon on the mount was the Word of the Law as it came forth from Zion. The law was not hidden, that is why it was spoke plainly.

The parables on the other hand were used to teach the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. These mysteries were kept hidden, for a reason.

As I said before, my original intent for this bible study was to be geared towards new Christians and nonbelievers. To give a solid foundation for what Jesus taught. It is because of this I am leaving out the parables for the it's part. I hope you understand.

I understand. I wasn't trying to introduce any parables into your study. You had mentioned that the sermon on the mount was spoke plainly, and therefore easy to understand unlike the parables. I was only making the distinction between Words of the Law (Sermon on the Mount) being plainly spoken, while the parables on the other hand were intentionally hidden. I hope you understand the simple point I was making.

The sermon on the mount was the Word of the Law as it came forth from Zion. The law was not hidden, that is why it was spoke plainly.

The parables on the other hand were used to teach the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. These mysteries were kept hidden, for a reason.

Matthew 13:13-14
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Hi EZ
Could you please explain why you think the mysteries of the parables were kept hidden?
Please use your own words.
Thanks.

Wondering

Hi EZ
Could you please explain why you think the mysteries of the parables were kept hidden?
Please use your own words.
Thanks.

Wondering

Well, the standard scriptural answer would be:

Matthew 13:11-15
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

There is the scriptural answer, because this peoples heart is waxed gross. Because of pride, they have closed their eyes and tuned out their hearing. So it remains hidden until they can humble themselves. It remains hidden except through the eyes of faith, for there are some things that are reserved to be revealed only by the Spirit that we might know the Righteousness of God.

Now the real question is, was it God's purpose to keep it hidden, or is it more to the fact that we try and remain hidden from God? When the scripture states that this peoples heart has waxed gross, then we should understand that this is an effect of the Law. Because of the knowledge of the law, they posses the knowledge of good and evil, and they presume themselves to be judges, sitting themselves in the seat of Moses, full of pride: hypocrites.

There is a temptation that comes with the knowledge of good and evil, and it often results with one taking on the characteristics of the accuser. We only need to look at the story in the garden of Eden to understand the effects and temptations that come from the knowledge of good and evil. The temptation was that they would become as God, their eyes would be open and they would know good and evil. The effect of this knowledge caused Adam to seek a covering and hide from the Lord. I could probably go on an on, but I'll save that for a different study I'm working on.

But to finish with the garden and to bring it back to Matthew 13:15, when Adam was expelled from the garden, it was because he now possessed the knowledge of good and evil, and because of this knowledge, he was prevented access to the Tree of Life. And set at the edge of the garden to protect the way to the tree of life were cherubim with flaming swords turning every which way. And like those Cherubim, the parables are hidden to keep the way to the tree of life.

Last edited:
Lets not get off the track here ..maybe another thread?

It's ok. I don't have much more left for this bible study. I hope it's helpful. But I'd expecially hope to know if this might be useful to a new Christian, or a Christian who has trouble reading the bible on their own. Hopefully be a decent foundation to be a standard against the differing philosophies that sound Christian, or that hold some Christian perspectives but fight against other Christian perspectives.

Or if anyone has insight with talking to nonbelievers about Christianity, if the information in this bible study would add some clarity,or otherwise do any good.

It's for those two groups that I was most motivated to write for.

Scripture References.

Mathew 7:1-6
7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Luke 6:37-42
37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

39 He also told them this parable: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.

41 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Jesus said, Do not Judge or you will be judged. The way you judge will be used to judge you, the measure you use will be used to measure you. Then He teaches about finding a fault in someone else while we still have the same fault. Saying, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." That said though, Jesus does give us some caution. Saying not to judge is not saying to be unobservent of other people, or to not notice wickedness if you see it. Teaching this caution Jesus says, "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." I have seen pride, jealousy, and anger refuse a gift, or try to destroy what you offer. I have seen greed likewise take a gift, and demand what's left of what you have. These observations should not keep us from being generous, but be aware and cautious around wickedness.

In Luke's sermon, (Luke 6:37-40) Jesus adds, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Then Jesus continues to say, "Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into a pit? The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher." This adds to What Jesus said before, to remove the plank from our own eye, then we will be better to remove the smaller fault in another's.

How can we both hold a standard and also not judge. Hate what is evil, but not condemn. One answer stems from being humble. Jesus warned earlier concerning our anger, that by calling someone else a fool or an idiot might be enough to be judged by or even sent to the fires of Hell. we are all fools compared to God and should be humble in knowing that we have our moments, to not be condescending to another person's foolishness. As well as our own sins should humble us in the face of other people's sins.

On the other hand a lot can be said about overcoming our sinful nature. Jesus said first take out the plank in our eye then we will be better suited to help another person with the speck in their eye. This observation is noticed in our world, where some of the greatest counselors that help lead people out of their addictions, their other sins, or their griefs Often come from a person who has faced the same trials and has overcome them. They've removed the plank from their eye so to speak, and can better help someone with a simular ailment.

Well, the standard scriptural answer would be:

Matthew 13:11-15
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

There is the scriptural answer, because this peoples heart is waxed gross. Because of pride, they have closed their eyes and tuned out their hearing. So it remains hidden until they can humble themselves. It remains hidden except through the eyes of faith, for there are some things that are reserved to be revealed only by the Spirit that we might know the Righteousness of God.

Now the real question is, was it God's purpose to keep it hidden, or is it more to the fact that we try and remain hidden from God? When the scripture states that this peoples heart has waxed gross, then we should understand that this is an effect of the Law. Because of the knowledge of the law, they posses the knowledge of good and evil, and they presume themselves to be judges, sitting themselves in the seat of Moses, full of pride: hypocrites.

There is a temptation that comes with the knowledge of good and evil, and it often results with one taking on the characteristics of the accuser. We only need to look at the story in the garden of Eden to understand the effects and temptations that come from the knowledge of good and evil. The temptation was that they would become as God, their eyes would be open and they would know good and evil. The effect of this knowledge caused Adam to seek a covering and hide from the Lord. I could probably go on an on, but I'll save that for a different study I'm working on.

But to finish with the garden and to bring it back to Matthew 13:15, when Adam was expelled from the garden, it was because he now possessed the knowledge of good and evil, and because of this knowledge, he was prevented access to the Tree of Life. And set at the edge of the garden to protect the way to the tree of life were cherubim with flaming swords turning every which way. And like those Cherubim, the parables are hidden to keep the way to the tree of life.
Hi EZ
Interesting how you tied it into the Garden. I'll be looking forward to your study.

You ask if it was God's purpose to keep the parables message hidden, or if it is us who hide from God.
I believe the answer is both.

Jesus spoke in parables because only those who had spiritual eyes and ears could understand them. I believe He wanted some effort to be made. We should always read the bible with spiritual eyes and understanding and make the effort to understand what we are reading.

1 Corinthians 2:14-16
The spiritual man can comprehend the thing of the spririt because he has the spirit of God within him, those who cannot understand the things of God are judged by God, but those who understand is appraised by no man.

So a parable could be a judgement on those who do not believe.

I like that you say that man must humble himself to understand God.
Mathew 5:3
The 1st Beatitude:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The poor in spirit understand that they need God and are willing to humble themselves.
Jesus was annointed to bring the good news to the poor in spirit - those willing to accept.

Thanks for the insight.

Wondering

Lets not get off the track here ..maybe another thread?
This subject wow.
May need parallel threads in about 4 different forums:
Deep differences where debate is allowed.
Surface discussion where opinions are allowed.

I would be strained to do this all justice.

Right now a young Christian could only take one post a week (?), and never keep up at this pace.

I want to post, but can not in the Bible Study area (or if I do I will get fussed at - which might be counter productive for the intended audience).

eddif

Hi Not_Now.Soon

I can add this to your study, as I had told you I would.

1. Jesus is the Messiah or His teaching would have meant nothing since man does not have any power over our nature.
2. Mathew is made up of 5 discourses or "books". Mathew 5-7 is the 1st of these books.
It is a manifesto of the Kingdom of God. It refers many times to the O.T. because it is the O.T. that Jesus studied.
3. Jesus "sat down" to speak. Rabbis and teachers sat when they had something important to teach.
4. This 1st book of discourses, as all others, has 3 aspects:
A. A narrative, or story
B. The discourse
C. The teaching
We know when we're at the end of the discourse because it'll say so:
Mathew 7:28
"When Jesus had finished these words" NASB
5. Mathew is the most orderly of the synoptic gospels. He concentrates on the teachings of Jesus and His being the Messiah.
(Mark on works, Luke on teachings for the gentiles, John on Jesus being the Word of God- or God)

We can compare Moses to Jesus:

Moses gave the 10 commandments.
He went on Mt. Sinai
He had authority from God.
He gave rules and regulations
The motivation was - Discipline
Laws written on stone

Jesus had a unique and innovative teaching.
Jesus went on a hill overlooking Lake Galilee.
He not only had authority from God, He WAS GOD.
He taught the Kingdom of God. It comprised of Humility, Love and Mercy.
He was interested in the transformation of the person - not the following of rules and regulations.
The motivation was - Love
Laws written on heart
Jeremiah 31:33

Wondering

(the above is from my own notes)

Last edited:
The law is fulfilled only in death.
The New Covenant or Testament.
A last will and testament becomes valid only upon death.
There would be tens of sub-subjects here.
Almost too much.

I find this okay for new Christians. There is much to learn here.
For others, each topic could be expounded upon. I think this is not the place however.

Wondering

Jesus in a parable and a lesson showed how important it is to listen and apply what He teaches. Jesus said. "Those who listen to what He says and put it into practice are like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." So with that in mind let's talk about what Jesus taught.

Here is feedback, per your request.

In the parable of the (falsely supposed) two men who built, one on rock, the other sand.

Better to start any Bible Study with Jesus' Facts firmly in our own hands. Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4 advises us we will live by every Word of God.

So, how many of us run away from the showing of the man who built on sand and don't want to be that builder? But, in realizing that we do build many things on sand, why would that not also apply to all of us?

The better lessons of scriptures come from applications we, by our natural flesh nature, REJECT, personally. And even worse, when we then direct those scriptures we don't like or care to hear personally to others.

I would propose that the two builders are one and the same person. And it must be so in order to apply every Word to "ourselves." The genuine questions of Bible study is this: How does this apply to me?

How and why.

Haven't we ALL had works on sand, washed away? If we are honest, we'd answer in the affirmative. So, the scriptural math on that side of the ledgers is clear enough. Yes, all of us have houses built on sand. And in real life we find this reality out quite quickly when the storms come and everything is gone.

It is only then that we come to terms with our Spiritual House, by faith.

Jesus was exceptionally clear that we are to HEAR IT ALL:

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

I'd venture that every last one of us has insulated and isolated "ourselves" from the above scripture. And by doing so we ARE NOT HEARING but are in fact REJECTING.

In the dictates of scripture, the wise and the fool are actually "bound" together. Same with the rich and the poor.

First lesson of Bible study? Every Word of God applies to us. The only questions are "how and why."

This subject wow.
May need parallel threads in about 4 different forums:
Deep differences where debate is allowed.
Surface discussion where opinions are allowed.

I would be strained to do this all justice.

Right now a young Christian could only take one post a week (?), and never keep up at this pace.

I want to post, but can not in the Bible Study area (or if I do I will get fussed at - which might be counter productive for the intended audience).

eddif

How does the Apologetics & Theology forum sound? I can take each post and have it as a seperate thread, slightly edited to fit the A & T better.and only do one of the bible lesson posts every few days, or every week.

Here is feedback, per your request.

In the parable of the (falsely supposed) two men who built, one on rock, the other sand.

Better to start any Bible Study with Jesus' Facts firmly in our own hands. Matt. 4:4 and Luke 4:4 advises us we will live by every Word of God.

So, how many of us run away from the showing of the man who built on sand and don't want to be that builder? But, in realizing that we do build many things on sand, why would that not also apply to all of us?

The better lessons of scriptures come from applications we, by our natural flesh nature, REJECT, personally. And even worse, when we then direct those scriptures we don't like or care to hear personally to others.

I would propose that the two builders are one and the same person. And it must be so in order to apply every Word to "ourselves." The genuine questions of Bible study is this: How does this apply to me?

How and why.

Haven't we ALL had works on sand, washed away? If we are honest, we'd answer in the affirmative. So, the scriptural math on that side of the ledgers is clear enough. Yes, all of us have houses built on sand. And in real life we find this reality out quite quickly when the storms come and everything is gone.

It is only then that we come to terms with our Spiritual House, by faith.

Jesus was exceptionally clear that we are to HEAR IT ALL:

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

I'd venture that every last one of us has insulated and isolated "ourselves" from the above scripture. And by doing so we ARE NOT HEARING but are in fact REJECTING.

In the dictates of scripture, the wise and the fool are actually "bound" together. Same with the rich and the poor.

First lesson of Bible study? Every Word of God applies to us. The only questions are "how and why."

"How does this apply to me"... I like that. If it's ok I'd like to use that more. Thanks Smaller.

How does the Apologetics & Theology forum sound? I can take each post and have it as a seperate thread, slightly edited to fit the A & T better.and only do one of the bible lesson posts every few days, or every week.
I try and do the Bible study, and have all sorts of fits understanding posting rules.

I was thinking: (you word it)
A&T parallel discussion of Not_Now.Soon
What Jesus Taught (Bible Study Forum)

Some posts get discussed there and others ignored.

Everyone will have a different solution.
Whatever God has given you in secret; shout it from the rooftop. Then get ready for (get off that rooftop with all that talk).

Reba knows best.

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back