Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study What Jesus Taught. An Introduction following the Sermon on the Mount and other teachings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Scripture References.

Mathew 7:13-23

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

John 14:5-6
Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

Jesus, nearing the end of His sermon, cautions us to not just follow along everyone else, but instead to follow the narrow path of life. Saying, " Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Jesus also has said in John 14:6 that He is the way, the truth and the life. And that no one comes to the Father, except through Jesus. With that in mind, the narrow path is laid out, and the narrow gate is identified. To follow Jesus is the path. To believe in Jesus must be the gate.

After Jesus taught to follow the narrow path, He cautioned against false guideposts. False prophets. Teaching, "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

Jesus also teaches that just by calling on Jesus's name does not make us Jesus's followers. "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Some wisdom to consider is the idea that there is safety in numbers. If your lost, follow along in the crowd your in and most likely you'll find what your looking for (assuming the rest of the crowd is looking for the same thing). If your worried about safety, partner up with a few friends or acquaintances to bare the burden of safety together and hopefully by being in a group drive off the potential dangers around you. Even if you are only confronting an idea, whether in a debate, or in a confrontation with another person, it is easier to be successful as well as less likely to lose the argument in shame if you have a group of people there to say the same thing, and support what your saying.

However, Jesus highlights the narrow path and compares it to the broad one many people go though. When it comes to our faith, and our salvation. It is a very narrow path. The larger group either goes a different direction ignoring Jesus. Even with those who pay attention to Jesus and His teachings, many focus on Christianity to stand against it, and make their voices loud against it; many who are Christian squabble over doctrine, lifestyle, politics, and anything else to get lost under about the issues and lose sight of Jesus; and some hold up road signs saying "follow me" who are false teachers, false prophets, and conmen. They unfortunately lead many people away also. In our faith and our following Jesus, we must take the responsibility of following Jesus as our own burden. Not a shared burden in a group. We must keep our focus on Jesus so we do not get sidetracked and lost.

Two ways to do this that I recommend. First is to pray often, so that we are close to God. Second is to study the bible and the teachings of Jesus. This will help both in finding out what we should do and then applying it to our lives; it will also become a foundation to know what is not from Jesus, so to help identify who are good teachers and who are false ones. That way we are not swept away when a false teacher says he knows the way.

Last edited:
I try and do the Bible study, and have all sorts of fits understanding posting rules.

I was thinking: (you word it)
A&T parallel discussion of Not_Now.Soon
What Jesus Taught (Bible Study Forum)

Some posts get discussed there and others ignored.

Everyone will have a different solution.
Whatever God has given you in secret; shout it from the rooftop. Then get ready for (get off that rooftop with all that talk).

Reba knows best.

eddif

Sounds good. I would like to know what you'd like to add.

Sounds good. I would like to know what you'd like to add.
For now:
Matthew 28:19 KJV
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

As we go:
Some do not know the Father (teach about the Father)

Some do not know Jesus (teach about the Son)

Some have not heard about Holy Spirit (teach about the Spirit)

Jesus seemed to be interested in the Godhead being presented.

eddif

For now:
Matthew 28:19 KJV
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

As we go:
Some do not know the Father (teach about the Father)

Some do not know Jesus (teach about the Son)

Some have not heard about Holy Spirit (teach about the Spirit)

Jesus seemed to be interested in the Godhead being presented.

eddif

That's intreasting I think I'll have to think about that one and let it set in for a while.

Scripture References.

Luke 12:1-12
12 Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying: “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 2 There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 3 What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.

4 “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

8 “I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. 9 But whoever disowns me before others will be disowned before the angels of God. 10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

11 “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.”

Luke 12:35-36
35 “Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning,36 like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.

Mathew 7:24-27
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Luke 6:46-49
46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like.48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”

Before I give Jesus's final teaching while teaching His sermon on the mount in Mathew. There are two more quotes of Jesus I want to share. The first are warnings and encouragements in Luke 12:1-12.

"Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying: “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.

"I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

"I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever disowns me before others will be disownedbefore the angels of God.And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

"When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.” "

The second teaching I wish to show comes from Luke 12:35-36. "Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him."

The final words in this Lesson are the same one's I started with. Jesus ends His sermon in Mathew 7:24-27 (also found in Luke 6:46-49) saying these words. "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

From all of this I encourage you to go and seek God. He is worth the hopes we have in Him, and alternatively not finding Him and turning away from God is worth fearing greatly. So Go and seek Him. Show your love and your faith by listening to His words and finding ways to apply them in your life.

Be in encouraged that God sees you of great value, that Jesus came for our sakes. To teach us and to be a ransom for our sins. This is the Love God has for us. When you fall look to God and ask for help, and when you have joys and successes praise Him. In everything you do try and remember God in what you do. Try not to be the student who only seeks their teacher when their list and desperate. But instead be like a child in the presence of their loving Father; that you go to Him with your joys, and your perplexing time. Be close to God like you would like to be close to your family. When you have the opportunities pray, have fellowship, and read the bible.

Alright that's all I've got for this bible study. I hope it's been good. Th1b.taylor, thank you for the input for the life applications additions. Eddif, thankyou for the intreast to discuss the bible study further. I hope we get to in a thread that is suitable for it with any or all debatable points that can be brought forth. I didn't go into much debth of each lesson Jesus gave, but it's encouraging that the small amount given makes you want to discuss the topics and lessons further. Wondering, thanks for the encouragement and the feedback. And Smaller thank you for the feedback as well.

Hi NNS
What if I started a thread on the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and you could join in?

Do you know the doctrine that will be tested?
The Bible may not agree with what we have been taught.

eddif
Mainline Christian churches believe in the traditional understanding of the Trinity or Godhead.
I come from a mainline Christian church and I do believe Jesus when He said to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
The Foundation of Faith forum is not a debate forum.

One could take it or leave it.
I'm not worried about what others may think.
It's unfortunate that we don't all believe the same concepts.
Jesus wanted us to be united.

Wondering

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back