Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Kind of Day?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think Tim's right. It's going to be a cloudy day. At least at first. He comes in the clouds so it's likely to be overcast. Then the son will come out and the clouds will disperse. That's what I think.

Amos 5:18-20
Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord!
to what end is it for you?
the day of the Lord is darkness, and not light.
As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him;
or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
Shall not the day of the Lord be darkness, and not light?
even very dark, and no brightness in it.

Very interesting passage, Amos. Do you think it's literal (a literally dark day)? And why is it bad to desire the DOTL?

I think Tim's right. It's going to be a cloudy day. At least at first. He comes in the clouds so it's likely to be overcast. Then the son will come out and the clouds will disperse. That's what I think.

Ezekiel 30:1-3 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Howl ye, Woe worth the day! For the day is near, even the day of the Lord is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.

Couldn't help myself. For there it is: a cloudy day.

Very interesting passage, Amos. Do you think it's literal (a literally dark day)? And why is it bad to desire the DOTL?

Because the Day of the Lord is a day of wrath, a day of vengeance, and a day of judgement.

I asked this question in a different thread, and I'll ask it again. When Lot and his family were delivered out of Sodom and Gomorrah before its destruction, we find the story of Lot's wife disobeying to Lord's command when she looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt. Why do you think she looked back? Was it because she was homesick already and longed for the comforts that the city provided? Or did she look back because she wanted to glory in the judgement and wrath that was poured out upon her enemy?

Isaiah 13:6-13
Howl ye; for the day of the Lord is at hand;
it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
Therefore shall all hands be faint,
and every man's heart shall melt:
And they shall be afraid; pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them;
they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth:
they shall be amazed one at another;
their faces shall be as flames.
Behold, the day of the Lord cometh,
cruel both with wrath and fierce anger,
to lay the land desolate:
and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light:
the sun shall be darkened in his going forth,
and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
And I will punish the world for their evil,
and the wicked for their iniquity;
and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease,
and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
I will make a man more precious than fine gold;
even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.
Therefore I will shake the heavens,
and the earth shall remove out of her place,
in the wrath of the Lord of hosts,
and in the day of his fierce anger.

Ezekiel 30:1-3 The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying, Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Howl ye, Woe worth the day! For the day is near, even the day of the Lord is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.

Couldn't help myself. For there it is: a cloudy day.

Really. How about that?! I hadn't realized that was there but there it is plain as day. It makes sense. It also makes sense that after the Lord reveals Himself that the clouds will disperse and then it will be a cloudless day. For a couple reasons. Every eye will see Him so visibility will be excellent. The clouds will burn off at the brightness of His coming. Tada! Then...there He is, just like He said.

Boooy, can you imagine that moment?! There's going to be two reactions by the people on earth. Utter joy and hearts leaping for joy...and utter terror as it sinks in, and people realize...uh-oh...it is true, and their life will flash before their eyes.

Like a thief in the night? Maybe night time in Israel?

I have wondered if this warning was more literal than we thought it was.

I think that this more figurative than literal (though it may be literally nighttime) meaning, He will surprise most people. Catch them off guard. It doesn't have to be night time for this (but it could), like when you're in a room with someone, you know they're there, but you don't hear him walk across the room, and he touches you on the shoulder and scares the bejeezus out of you. Wasn't expecting it.

Like that.

Because the Day of the Lord is a day of wrath, a day of vengeance, and a day of judgement.

I asked this question in a different thread, and I'll ask it again. When Lot and his family were delivered out of Sodom and Gomorrah before its destruction, we find the story of Lot's wife disobeying to Lord's command when she looked back and was turned into a pillar of salt. Why do you think she looked back? Was it because she was homesick already and longed for the comforts that the city provided? Or did she look back because she wanted to glory in the judgement and wrath that was poured out upon her enemy?

Isaiah 13:6-13
Howl ye; for the day of the Lord is at hand;
it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
Therefore shall all hands be faint,
and every man's heart shall melt:
And they shall be afraid; pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them;
they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth:
they shall be amazed one at another;
their faces shall be as flames.
Behold, the day of the Lord cometh,
cruel both with wrath and fierce anger,
to lay the land desolate:
and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light:
the sun shall be darkened in his going forth,
and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
And I will punish the world for their evil,
and the wicked for their iniquity;
and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease,
and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
I will make a man more precious than fine gold;
even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.
Therefore I will shake the heavens,
and the earth shall remove out of her place,
in the wrath of the Lord of hosts,
and in the day of his fierce anger.

Good job pointing out that more than one possibility exists for the motivation behind her behavior. Neither is righteous though.

Notice on that chart I uploaded that it parallels Matthew 24. Christ explained it well what happens in Revelation. The Great Tribulation and the Day of the Lord are two events, actually. Based on that chart, you have the first 4 seals. Then the 5th is the Great Tribulation, separated by the 6th seal which are the signs in the heavens between the Tribulation and the day of the Lord. Then when the day of the Lord comes, you have the seven trumpets and the last 7 vials taking place over a year. After all that mess you read about in Revelation, the Lord comes back and sets up the Kingdom.

Yes,for those on the opposite side of the planet it will be night when it is day here.On the opposite side of the planet it will be summer when it is winter here.

The Day of Christ will not resemble a normal day since His coming will be supernatural. When Scripture says He will come with "clouds", that is metaphorical for clouds of saints and angels all dressed in white, and shining in their appearance. And since Christ will come in all His glorious and Divine brightness (exceeding a million suns) there will be brightness for all the saints no matter which hemisphere they belong to. He will "meet them in the air" or the earth's atmosphere.

When the Lord says that He will come "as a thief in the night" the metaphor is for the sudden and unexpected appearance of Christ, just as a thief breaking into a home is sudden and unexpected and usually at night.

"The Day of the LORD", on the other hand, is a period of severe judgments on this earth and is quite different from the Day of Christ. It coincides with the Great Tribulation.

The Day of Christ will not resemble a normal day since His coming will be supernatural. When Scripture says He will come with "clouds", that is metaphorical for clouds of saints and angels all dressed in white, and shining in their appearance. And since Christ will come in all His glorious and Divine brightness (exceeding a million suns) there will be brightness for all the saints no matter which hemisphere they belong to. He will "meet them in the air" or the earth's atmosphere.

When the Lord says that He will come "as a thief in the night" the metaphor is for the sudden and unexpected appearance of Christ, just as a thief breaking into a home is sudden and unexpected and usually at night.

"The Day of the LORD", on the other hand, is a period of severe judgments on this earth and is quite different from the Day of Christ. It coincides with the Great Tribulation.

Which scriptures differentiate between a 'Day of the Lord' and a 'Day of Christ'?

Sinthesis,

If you have a Strong's Concordance, you can find all the references. For starters I will refer you to Philippians 1:6,10 and 2:16 for the Day of Christ and to Joel 1:15; 2:1,2,11,31; 3:14 for the Day of the Lord. The Day of the Lord was revealed to many prophets and apostles, but the Day of Christ was revealed only to Paul, and is only mentioned in the New Testament.

Sinthesis,

If you have a Strong's Concordance, you can find all the references. For starters I will refer you to Philippians 1:6,10 and 2:16 for the Day of Christ and to Joel 1:15; 2:1,2,11,31; 3:14 for the Day of the Lord. The Day of the Lord was revealed to many prophets and apostles, but the Day of Christ was revealed only to Paul, and is only mentioned in the New Testament.

Is not Christ Lord?

Is not Christ Lord?

Of course Christ is Lord. But Scripture makes a distinction between the Father and the Son. Christ is God manifest in the flesh, who is also the one who will return for His saints. Hence "the Day of Christ". But long before Christ became a Man, God foretold of the Day of the LORD, which is a terrible period of human history, and which is yet to come.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back