Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHAT MAKES A GOOD MARRIAGE?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
I was going to post this in the Ladies Locker Room, but thought a man's perspective is also necessary since they contribute 50% to the marriage.

How about reverence on one side and unconditional love on the other side?

Which side?

Does unconditional love exist?

What makes a good marriage?

No ... example ... you shouldn't love someone that wants to kill you

1. common interest like common religion, children, language, customs, politics (two cannot walk together unless they are agreed)
  2. mutual respect for each other and each others family
  3. similar sexual appetite, physical attraction
  4. health
  5. not selfish (seeking the good of your mate above your own interests)

1. common interest like common religion, children, language, customs, politics (two cannot walk together unless they are agreed)
  4. health
Agreed 100%

(Are you avx?)

I was going to post this in the Ladies Locker Room, but thought a man's perspective is also necessary since they contribute 50% to the marriage.

Which side?

When my wife meets Christ in me and I meet Christ in her, our marriage is a wonderful thing. But when its only me that my wife encounters, well, foolishness, selfishness and sin are likely to follow. I pray daily that I would be a "vessel sanctified and meet for the Master's use," a man in whom Christ is clearly manifested, and when I am, my marriage is one of peace, joy and love. (Romans 8:29; 2 Corinthians 4:7-11; Galatians 5:22-23)

I'm not sure what "unconditional love" means. God's love is not "unconditional"; He hates sin and will judge and punish all sinners who die unrepentant in their sin (Romans 2:4-11; John 3:36). He lays down the condition of trust in Christ as a necessary predicate for relationship with Himself (John 3:16; John 14:6; Romans 10:9-10; Acts 4:12). He commands that we love Him with all of our being (Matthew 22:36-38; 1 Corinthians 13:1-3). He requires that we be holy (Hebrews 12:14; Matthew 5:48; 1 Peter 3:10-12).

Well, Rosa is my buddy.
But I wouldn't want her for a spouse, even if she were male.

So it must be more than being a buddy, although that is part of it.
But your solution in the OP was reverence and unconditional love?
Is that sufficient for marriage?
Same sex or otherwise.

4. health
Boring .lol.

No fun you are.

In my opinion, a good marriage is he result of being good at relationships in general. Poor relationship skills as a child makes for poor marriages. Marriage is the consequence of a good relationship.

Which side?

A good marriage is made when each spouse seeks to please his/her mate before their selves.

Data seems to indicate that not getting mart too young helps. 2nd marriages have higher divorce rates. Having some money is better than no money but when both spouses make lots the rate goes up. Relatively similar backgrounds helps…interfaith marriages seem more likely to end in divorce and so do marriages with big social class differences…

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I find the stats on social phenomena interesting obviously lol 😆

Back