Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

what other "biblical" bible would you add?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Then Moses wrote this law and gave it to the priests, the sons of Levi, who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and to all the elders of Israel. And Moses commanded them, “At the end of every seven years, at the set time in the year of release, at the Feast of Booths, when all Israel comes to appear before the Lord your God at the place that he will choose, you shall read this law before all Israel in their hearing. Assemble the people, men, women, and little ones, and the sojourner within your towns, that they may hear and learn to fear the Lord your God, and be careful to do all the words of this law, and that their children, who have not known it, may hear and learn to fear the Lord your God, as long as you live in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”
(Deut. 31:9-13 ESV)
Gideon hadn't started distributing pocket Torah scrolls so everybody could have his own, so they all came together once every seven years to hear it read. All of the Books of Moses were read during the 7 days of the Feast of Tabernacles. Later, when there were synagogues that had their own Torah scrolls, they would also hear portions of it read every week. That custom is referred to in Acts 15:21.

The TOG​
yes I have read those verses and they depict what I said. When I posted It seemed I had read that in another place maybe a commentary. My memory is so bad It could been those verses, it just seemed I read it some where else also.

I'm not up on the reasons certain writings were rejected, but didn't it have something to do with whether the writer was a prophet chosen by God? For instance, God had written a bill of divorce to Israel in Jer 3:8, but Israel's history continued in Maccabees without a prophet until John the Baptist came on the scene.

TOG
Acts 15
Is about the circumcision party teaching that Gentiles needed to be circumcised and follow the Law of Moses to be saved. I would presume there quotes would have been in Hebrew.

Speaking to the issue of Bibles:
What would the language used in Phenice and Samaria (v4) be? Greek?

I can see the use of Hebrew during the discussion in Jerusalem, but I wonder what language would go out to the Gentiles world wide? (Antioch, Syria, Cilicia, etc.)

eddif

yes I have read those verses and they depict what I said. When I posted It seemed I had read that in another place maybe a commentary. My memory is so bad It could been those verses, it just seemed I read it some where else also.

It's also mentioned in Nehemiah.

And all the people gathered as one man into the square before the Water Gate. And they told Ezra the scribe to bring the Book of the Law of Moses that the Lord had commanded Israel. So Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, both men and women and all who could understand what they heard, on the first day of the seventh month. And he read from it facing the square before the Water Gate from early morning until midday, in the presence of the men and the women and those who could understand. And the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law. And Ezra the scribe stood on a wooden platform that they had made for the purpose. And beside him stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah, and Maaseiah on his right hand, and Pedaiah, Mishael, Malchijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah, and Meshullam on his left hand. And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people, for he was above all the people, and as he opened it all the people stood. And Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God, and all the people answered, “Amen, Amen,” lifting up their hands. And they bowed their heads and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground. Also Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, the Levites, helped the people to understand the Law, while the people remained in their places. They read from the book, from the Law of God, clearly, and they gave the sense, so that the people understood the reading. (Nehemiah 8:1-8 ESV)
There is no sound in Hebrew similar to the J sound in English. Anything that is transliterated with a J should be pronounced with a Y, as in the English word "yes". With that in mind, notice what that says - "Yeshuah... helped the people to understand the law".

The TOG​

TOG
Acts 15
Is about the circumcision party teaching that Gentiles needed to be circumcised and follow the Law of Moses to be saved. I would presume there quotes would have been in Hebrew.

Speaking to the issue of Bibles:
What would the language used in Phenice and Samaria (v4) be? Greek?

I can see the use of Hebrew during the discussion in Jerusalem, but I wonder what language would go out to the Gentiles world wide? (Antioch, Syria, Cilicia, etc.)

eddif

I said that the custom of reading the law every Sabbath was referred to in Acts 15, and it is.

For from ancient generations Moses has had in every city those who proclaim him, for he is read every Sabbath in the synagogues. (Acts 15:21 ESV)
As for what language was used, the Scriptures they used were either in Hebrew or Greek, since the Hebrew Scriptures had not been translated into anything else. At least some of the New Testament was originally written in Hebrew, and would have quoted the Scriptures in Hebrew. Those parts that were originally written in Greek or when something originally written in Hebrew was translated, they would have used the Greek Septuagint version.

The TOG​

cool, and good timing Yhwh willing. everyone(left alive) (i think) will learn Hebrew before long. :)
modern Hebrew isn't the same as biblical Hebrew and that biblical Hebrew isn't the same as when the torah was written. if I choose to learn Hebrew it would be modern. ? because im a Hebrew,

I'm pretty sure the Creator of the Universe knows that. He has everything in His hands, He has Perfect Knowledge, and He has designed the Perfect Plan without flaws - including what everyone will be speaking soon in His Design. :)

I'm pretty sure the Creator of the Universe knows that. He has everything in His hands, He has Perfect Knowledge, and He has designed the Perfect Plan without flaws - including what everyone will be speaking soon in His Design. :)
Hebrew didn't exist until Abraham and really then wasn't the same. we don't know what god speaks and also what tounges one speaks isn't what matters.

The TOG​
Pretty good Brother TOG. With diverse genres presented, I like to think of the many different bibles associated with Php 1:18. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

I'm not up on the reasons certain writings were rejected, but didn't it have something to do with whether the writer was a prophet chosen by God? For instance, God had written a bill of divorce to Israel in Jer 3:8, but Israel's history continued in Maccabees without a prophet until John the Baptist came on the scene.
Well
Interesting.
The story continues into the time of Ezekiel.
Ezekiel has to lay on a side 390 days for the sins of Israel and on the other side 40 days for the sins of Judah (a day for each year of their idolatry). Maybe the bill of divorcement was not ratified till later. Much is said about false prophets in Ezekiel ( ch 13). The remnant that mourned the sins of Israel and Judah.
Ezekiel 11:16
Actually became those who went into exile / divorce you speak of; seems to be the start of the Gentiles knowledge of God, as the remnants testify of God in the countries of their dispersion that is coming.

The Gentiles will have a chance to know enough to even consider being grafted in (in the future).

eddif

saw this (various about bill of divorce to Israel) many times in the past,
but
until I hovered the cursor over Jeremiah 3:8 and read it (again) I don't remember realizing that later
the gentiles worldwide play the harlot (RE Revelation, 'all' the 'churches'/daughters of the great harlot)
and
i think are destroyed by Yhwh , not given a bill of divorce ... ... ...

a remnant (small part of world's population, as it is written also of Noah's time, and s and g) is spared in Yhwh's mercy, as He indicates in the first three chapters of Revelation in the letters to the messengers/or angels of the 7 churches.

saw this (various about bill of divorce to Israel) many times in the past,
but
until I hovered the cursor over Jeremiah 3:8 and read it (again) I don't remember realizing that later
the gentiles worldwide play the harlot (RE Revelation, 'all' the 'churches'/daughters of the great harlot)
and
i think are destroyed by Yhwh , not given a bill of divorce ... ... ...

a remnant (small part of world's population, as it is written also of Noah's time, and s and g) is spared in Yhwh's mercy, as He indicates in the first three chapters of Revelation in the letters to the messengers/or angels of the 7 churches.
Are you taking your comments out of another book or marginal notes?

Sodom and Gomorrah are still around I at least ways
1. Matthew 11:24 Sodom & G are awaiting Judgement day
2. Isaiah 1:10-11 Israel and Judah are behaving like Sodom & G and their sacrifices are not wanted

Jeremiah 31:29-31 each person is made accountable for their own sins. Households were destroyed (because of one person).

Gentiles were without the oracles of God, and a remnant was not saved. Israel had oracles and did the same sins of Gentiles. A warning is given to Gentiles of today. Gentiles are told that Jews are the natural branch, and can be grafted back in easier.

What side notes do we accept. It gets tough deciding what to read and listen to.

eddif

Are you taking your comments out of another book or marginal notes?
What side notes do we accept. It gets tough deciding what to read and listen to.
eddif
no, (not without testing/Yhwh's speaking/approval)
don't accept side notes, nor man's devices(scholarship,fine looking blasphemy, Phd's(so-called wisdom)) see my further references below and also where i just now posted at
http://christianforums.net/Fellowship/index.php?threads/you-are-not-jesus-brother.55295/#post-972535

Revelation 17 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Scarlet Woman and the Scarlet Beast

17 Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, “Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2 with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.”

3 So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of her fornication. 5 And on her forehead a name was written:

MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT,
THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS
AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS
OF THE EARTH.
6 I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with great amazement.
seek Yhwh as receive from Him truth in Yeshua, as no one else can provide that - test everything in prayer before , constant continual prayer abiding in Him in Yeshua HaMashiach.

Back