Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What to do?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
paisley said:
I praise God. I read a wonderful book called "Answers to Praise" by Carothers. I stumbled on this book accidentally in a time of my life when I was feeling down. Every thing he wrote, he supported with scriptures and it just all made sense to me. Even more, the book was filled with testimonies of people`s lives being changed once they started praising God. So I started praising God too and I started feeling better. Now I make it a practice to try and praise God if I start getting down. If I let my mind dwell on the thing that gets me down, I tend to stay down, but if I start looking up and praising God, things don`t seem as bad and I feel revived with hope.

Another thing I do that is not Biblically related is I try to keep my womanly cycle in perspective so if I start feeling down or grumpy I make a mental check of the time of month and very often it is that PMS time. When that happens I remind myself that the feelings I`m having are hormonally related rather than my real feelings. I remind myself if I were in the same situation a week prior, I probably would not be feeling the way I am. When I can mentally diagnose the fact that my feelings are hormonal rather than actual, I can deal with them better by not taking them so seriously. I also go and take a vitamin B complex to help balance my hormones. That helps. Then I either start praising God for the great things He has done in my life or I put on some good praise music and sing along. It helps!

One other thing I do is journal. When I can write out all my bad feelings, I tend to get them out of my system and get some perspective on the situation.

I appreciate everyone sharing themselves with me. Goju, once I got my long haired chihuahua I became a different person. I don't have kids so she is like a child with the funny, spontaneous things she does! :lol
Paisley, thank you for this,really is a reminder of "this too shall pass" we don't have to be concerned with these emotions to the point where it digs deep in. Sometimes, it's not a matter of choice but just relishing in the fact that God relieves our pain. I'll have to look up that book... :)

kimberlyb0112 said:
I usually run, or listen to music..

When you are in Afghanistan, it can be pretty much limited of stuff that you can do..

one of my favorite things to do.. go to the px, (or store that is here on the FOB)
grab a package of twizzlers, a red bull, and a buy a $2 dollar movie (burned copy,
they are sold alll over the FOBS here) and when I say movie, I mean chick flick..

then sit in my BHUT and watch a movie while eating twizzlers and drinking a red bull..

that is like..one of the most fun things for me right now..it really is, so fulfilling :)

It's like an escape from everything where I can just chill

Now that's what I'm talking about! My favorite is Ghost, I have watched that movie like 20 times. Unchained melody is such a wonderful song. Caffeine doesn't do it for me though. I crash after like 10 mins.

paisley said:
" I also have to remind myself that my hormones are screwing with me...it's like a magnifying glass on everything, making little problems seem larger and more menacing. Does vitamin B really help? I've heard it does, but does it really?"

I don`t even have to have a problem to be magnified. My hormones can make me feel down or grumpy for no reason at all!
As for vitamin B, it does work for me. I don`t take them and feel an instant eye opening effect. The effect is more subtle but definitely there. I take a really good formula though. It is called "High Stress B & C with herbs" by Source Naturals from iHerb.com (no one in my family is in any way affilated with these companies). The dosage of B in this forumula is higher than the average B complex and it has 17 herbs that are associated with calming so it is an all in one vitamin but not too expensive. I also ONLY take this vitamin during PMS so it doesn`t lose its effect. It seems to help with stress too. My husband has been unemployed since Feb. and at one point he got depressed about it even though he was reading his Bible, going to church, and praying, so I gave him these vitamins without telling him what they were (we take regular daily vitamins so it was not unusual for me to give these), and he calmed down. I gave them for about a week, then I stopped giving the vitamins and he hasn`t complained about depression since. That was several months ago. Now he is content with just reading his Bible and praying. So there seems to be nothing addictive or harmful about these vitamins as I can tell. But I use them in moderation. I wouldn`t recommend taking them on a daily basis since the vitamin B content is higher than usual, just my opinion.

HUGS PAISLEY...Thanks for the reference. I've always sought to heal myself with herbs instead of medicine. I would never, ever take prescription drugs for something I know God will eventually sort out for me. I'm the type that will suffer through a headache bc dependence on earthly things is kind of pitiful to me. God, some great music, exercise and the right nutrients inside give me the greatest high!
:amen God Bless you ALL

handy said:
JoJo said:
I clean house when life gets to me. Weird, I know, but it takes my mind off junk and everything feels fresher and newer when I get done.

JoJo, next time you feel down, you can come on over to my place! ;)

I go for a drive to this little national forest road that's about two miles up from where we live. I drive for about a half mile on this road and it's like I'm in a place that's untouched by human hands. There are pine trees, willows, elderberry trees, and millions of mountain wild flowers.

Then I'll cry, pray, and will wind up singing hymns or praise songs. Perks me up every time!

I wanna come! I wanna come! Sounds BEAUTIFUL

I listen to music that I heard at church camp. Even though it makes me want to cry(because I was called into ministry there and confessed sins with my fellow friends and brothers in Christ) it makes me feel so much better.

Well, I'm working on getting into the habit of laying it all at God's feet - telling him all my problems and getting things off my chest. Aside from that, I work out, I read, I listen to music, or I just take a long walk - anything to work on relaxing myself, to help myself feel less stressed out. It's all in God's hands, why should I worry too much about it? He will help me with my problems, and He will help with yours too.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back