Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Whats the barrier with getting a mac?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
i gues it's because of the incompatibilitys with windows. or so.

and a mac is a brand, while a regular pc is free to also install linux for one.
right:confused:

I think the only issue is price. But since Macs are not as flimsy as Windows, the only other reason besides prices would be that that a person is brain dead. If offered a Mac vs Microsoft for free, Mac would win hands down with me. I cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would pay for an OS and then pay even more for virus protection due to the first party's incompetence. And on that note, I cannot understand why a person would want to use an OS walking on eggshells because with a mere innocent click could get a serious virus. I have better things to do than to use a computer for one hour, then fix it for 5 days, then use it another hour, fix it another 5 days, etc etc.

i gues it's because of the incompatibilitys with windows. or so.

and a mac is a brand, while a regular pc is free to also install linux for one.
right:confused:
No. First off, Mac is a model; Apple is the brand. Linux can also be installed on an Apple computer. Apple is now using Intel CPUs, which makes the installation even easier. If you have a Power Mac, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not an anti Mac person. I almost bought a Macbook Pro earlier this year. Looking into it, I was turned off by all my program/file compadibility issues that I would have switching. Not to mention the NTFS not being supported. Oops, there goes my new portable hard drive that I just bought. I also have Adobe Web Design Premium CS4, and I'm not about to lose that soon.

Plus the upfront cost of the Mac is a bit of a turnoff.

In time, I am sure. I'm kinda ready to move off Windows. Try something new and more stable.

I'm not an anti Mac person. I almost bought a Macbook Pro earlier this year. Looking into it, I was turned off by all my program/file compatibility issues that I would have switching. Not to mention the NTFS not being supported. Oops, there goes my new portable hard drive that I just bought. I also have Adobe Web Design Premium CS4, and I'm not about to lose that soon.

Plus the upfront cost of the Mac is a bit of a turnoff.

In time, I am sure. I'm kinda ready to move off Windows. Try something new and more stable.
If you call adobe they sometimes let you transfer your license to the Mac from windows. My Mac supports a a lot of things from windows. and I do admit though I have a virtual machine with a bought windows tucked away for emergencies for when I HAVE to through the vm everything can integrate it's like the same Mac desktop running windows onl pograms it's a program called parallels so you don't need to give up any is to gain all the other benefits the vm isgreat for trial software you can make it never expire legally. Create a restore point called snapshot and you got it for another month. Whatever you do in your vm cannot compromise the security of your Mac install your emails and pictures can't be lost in a system restore because of viruses you keep all the important stuff in your Mac and use windows in emergencies.

re your hard drive the mac likes fat partitions and formats it that way for cross platform compatibility.

the other thing it does well for some reason it doesnt use up heaps of hard drive space for the operating system. the Hd backups go on an external HD and you can restore individual files from months ago without restoring everything on your HD

Last edited by a moderator:
If you call adobe they sometimes let you transfer your license to the Mac from windows. My Mac supports a a lot of things from windows. and I do admit though I have a virtual machine with a bought windows tucked away for emergencies for when I HAVE to through the vm everything can integrate it's like the same Mac desktop running windows onl pograms it's a program called parallels so you don't need to give up any is to gain all the other benefits the vm isgreat for trial software you can make it never expire legally. Create a restore point called snapshot and you got it for another month. Whatever you do in your vm cannot compromise the security of your Mac install your emails and pictures can't be lost in a system restore because of viruses you keep all the important stuff in your Mac and use windows in emergencies.

re your hard drive the mac likes fat partitions and formats it that way for cross platform compatibility.

the other thing it does well for some reason it doesnt use up heaps of hard drive space for the operating system. the Hd backups go on an external HD and you can restore individual files from months ago without restoring everything on your HD
I'll see. I'm not really a fan of VM's. And for a 500GB HDD, I'd much prefer to have NTFS rather than FAT.
Mac uses HPFS, right?

I want a Mac and if I live I will get one next year, I have been wanting one for a long time, I get tired of Windows, I have 2 Windows 7 systems, and I gave a 3rd one away. But it is time for a change, I mean I will always keep a Windows system around, but it is time for a change. I want a Mac bad.

My laptop is about to die on me, and I have been looking up new ones to replacement this. I am thinking about trying a mac, just because I never have, and every laptop I have had doesn't last very long.

I might try a mac this time, and see whether I like it better or not!

I'll see. I'm not really a fan of VM's. And for a 500GB HDD, I'd much prefer to have NTFS rather than FAT.
Mac uses HPFS, right?
T uses Mac format but can understand fat as well so all flash sticks can be read

FAT is not going to work on a 500g HD... Or well, it will but if you have 500g HD you don't want to be hindered by FAT.

As for me, I just don't like Mac/Apple at all. They are more up tight than M$. I cannot open a Mac and do my thing without voiding warranty, I can open my Windows PC because I built it. Heck I cannot even order proper internals for a Mac because they are so up tight.

What else...

I hate the mouse. The mouse enrages me.

And people think Microsoft milks every dollar out of you... Mac, man they are SO expensive.

I also cannot stand OSX. It looks slick but it is SO clunky underneath.

I can list the game selection OSX can run on one hand...

Well, I'll admit one thing. Although I would choose a MAC a hundred times over Microsoft, they do not let you install it yourself, unless I'm missing something here. Ever hear of a person making a computer with Mac on it? I haven't. It's their little proprietary secret, but the thing is that it at least works right. Most people don't build their own computers anyway. When I build my next one, It's going to have Linux on it, however. Back when Xp came about, they would not let me install it after the third computer, so when I changed my motherboard one time it thought it was a new computer, so I had to convince a guy in India that I was not stealing their software (this was years ago). Needless to say, that did not go over well with me, even though Microsoft lets you install it on something you built.

BTW, I was a Microsoft fan BEFORE XP. Everything was hunky dory up to Windows 98SE. But XP rubbed me the wrong way, and it's only gotten worse since and the viruses gotten worse, too. Didn't seemed to be plagued with as many back then, and even if I did get one, the older OS's were easier to reinstall.

Well, I'll admit one thing. Although I would choose a MAC a hundred times over Microsoft, they do not let you install it yourself, unless I'm missing something here. Ever hear of a person making a computer with Mac on it? I haven't. It's their little proprietary secret, but the thing is that it at least works right. Most people don't build their own computers anyway. When I build my next one, It's going to have Linux on it, however. Back when Xp came about, they would not let me install it after the third computer, so when I changed my motherboard one time it thought it was a new computer, so I had to convince a guy in India that I was not stealing their software (this was years ago). Needless to say, that did not go over well with me, even though Microsoft lets you install it on something you built.

BTW, I was a Microsoft fan BEFORE XP. Everything was hunky dory up to Windows 98SE. But XP rubbed me the wrong way, and it's only gotten worse since and the viruses gotten worse, too. Didn't seemed to be plagued with as many back then, and even if I did get one, the older OS's were easier to reinstall.

1 operating system designed perfectly for the one machine its on thats what a mac is. I have made myself 3 pcs now 2 gaming ones and 1 video editing one vista/xp macines. They are the kids toys now, they are fairly old. They are so noisy they need fans and the mac is silent most of the time unless it gets hot in summer it makes small fan noise. I am glad to be free of the clunky noisy boxes around my desk. I think iv got ringing in my ears from the noise of my old gaming one. the clay things are an add on extra from my kids. but thats the whole computer on my desk. The mac comes with all this wireless capabilities and alll this other stuff built in. If you wanted to you could have no other wire connected to it except the power cable because everything happens wirelessly if you want.

d98027a0.jpg

d9b6be20.jpg

What i replaced that my daughter has now--

1577591d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't buy a mac because Steve Jobs thinks he is a god. I can't violate the 1st Commandment. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300

I won't buy a mac because Steve Jobs thinks he is a god. I can't violate the 1st Commandment. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300
steve is an atheist like Bill.. chose the better of the 2 evils neither of them believe in God

steve is an atheist like Bill.. chose the better of the 2 evils neither of them believe in God
In his interview with David Frost, he admitted he's not sure if there is a God or not. So, I'd say that makes him more agnostic than atheist.

Twice I have been in the market for a new laptop, shopped around with Apple and gone back to the PC. As with everything Apple, they are dictators with their price. Unless you find it on eBay through an unknown seller, the price is Apple's way or the highway, and they are not cheap. I could afford one, but when i was weighing all the performance and memory I'd get for less money on a PC, I could not justify buying into a Mac.

And another thing others have touched on, it's my impression you can't upgrade anything. I love dinkering around with new drivers, adding memory, swapping hard drives and modifying my rig. Apple doesn't allow for any of that from what I've seen.

So you have a company who controls the prices so you can't possibly get them cheaper at another store. While they have a lock on their prices, they sell you the rig you will have stay very happy with, because they've ensured that you won't be able to taylor the rig to your liking.

Thems are a few of muh barriers, Chris!

Twice I have been in the market for a new laptop, shopped around with Apple and gone back to the PC. As with everything Apple, they are dictators with their price. Unless you find it on eBay through an unknown seller, the price is Apple's way or the highway, and they are not cheap. I could afford one, but when i was weighing all the performance and memory I'd get for less money on a PC, I could not justify buying into a Mac.

And another thing others have touched on, it's my impression you can't upgrade anything. I love dinkering around with new drivers, adding memory, swapping hard drives and modifying my rig. Apple doesn't allow for any of that from what I've seen.

So you have a company who controls the prices so you can't possibly get them cheaper at another store. While they have a lock on their prices, they sell you the rig you will have stay very happy with, because they've ensured that you won't be able to taylor the rig to your liking.

Thems are a few of muh barriers, Chris!
i stuck 8 gig of generic brand ram in mine which it is ok to do it wont void warranty. You can add heaps of things on but you do it via usb or wireless or firewire wich is very fast speed anyway its all wireless N

I have a different focus now I want a workhorse with power to do the work I need to do. I need it to not have issues and just work without wasting time fluffing around with repairs. not cluttering up the desk is just the bonus :)

Pcs are good if you like to tinker, to see what you can do, i used to do that too.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back