Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who are today's great thinkers?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm a transplant to CA. I've lived in several different places. I can't imagine myself living anywhere else now. I think Heaven will be a bit like So Cal (weather-wise any way).

I see you have been hunting down my old threads allenwynne.

Should I be flattered?

Keep it on topic. Questions can be asked via PM.

Okay, that's fair enough.

Let's start with one question at a time.

1. What hope do you have of life after death?
I have no expectation of life after death but........

If we are made in God's image and likeness then it is reasonable to assume that our innate sense of fairness is in 'God's likeness' or that it comes in some way from God. If then we really do have a just and loving God, and The Bible tells us that we have, then our instinct of what is right or wrong and what is fair or unfair probably comes from God. Maybe that sense of fairness is part of our 'personal relationships' with God that you were telling me about earlier?

So, if heaven and hell do both exist, I think that God would be 'fair', as we understand fairness, and look after those people who had led a 'good' life. I feel that the notion that 'true belief' is the only key to heaven is a misguided interpretation of The Bible. When Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". I don't think that just meant 'believe in me and you'll be saved', I think He meant, "I am the way" - i.e. follow my example.

I suspect that it is what you do that counts, not what you say. If what you say and how you pray is more important, we should all behave like 'Pharisees' but we know from The Bible that pretentious prayer does not impress God one bit - behavior does.

Before you try to pick me up for mixing scriptural references with skepticism, I will just remind you that I really am open to ideas from all faiths and that I do believe that some of what is written in The Bible about Jesus is right. Accurate? Possibly not, but right on the principles of his teaching and example - yes.

Does that make any sense to you?

I have no expectation of life after death but........

If we are made in God's image and likeness then it is reasonable to assume that our innate sense of fairness is in 'God's likeness' or that it comes in some way from God. If then we really do have a just and loving God, and The Bible tells us that we have, then our instinct of what is right or wrong and what is fair or unfair probably comes from God. Maybe that sense of fairness is part of our 'personal relationships' with God that you were telling me about earlier?

So, if heaven and hell do both exist, I think that God would be 'fair', as we understand fairness, and look after those people who had led a 'good' life. I feel that the notion that 'true belief' is the only key to heaven is a misguided interpretation of The Bible. When Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". I don't think that just meant 'believe in me and you'll be saved', I think He meant, "I am the way" - i.e. follow my example.

I suspect that it is what you do that counts, not what you say. If what you say and how you pray is more important, we should all behave like 'Pharisees' but we know from The Bible that pretentious prayer does not impress God one bit - behavior does.

Before you try to pick me up for mixing scriptural references with skepticism, I will just remind you that I really am open to ideas from all faiths and that I do believe that some of what is written in The Bible about Jesus is right. Accurate? Possibly not, but right on the principles of his teaching and example - yes.

Does that make any sense to you?

Okay, to keep this on the right track, what do you think of Mahatma Gandhi and his views on Christianity?

Okay, to keep this on the right track, what do you think of Mahatma Gandhi and his views on Christianity?

I think that Gandhi was a great man, one of the most admirable men in history. He shared many of the good qualities of Jesus and I am sure they would have got on very well.

I have no idea what his views on Christianity were but, as he was physically thrown out of a church in S.Africa, I can't imagine he was particularly impressed with the Christians there. Christianity as in - the teachings of Jesus - definitely yes, Christianity as corrupted and often practiced - questionable!

Now it's your turn to answer my last question - "Does that make any sense to you?".
That's the only way this Q&A session is going to work ;)

I think that Gandhi was a great man, one of the most admirable men in history. He shared many of the good qualities of Jesus and I am sure they would have got on very well.

I have no idea what his views on Christianity were but, as he was physically thrown out of a church in S.Africa, I can't imagine he was particularly impressed with the Christians there. Christianity as in - the teachings of Jesus - definitely yes, Christianity as corrupted and often practiced - questionable!

Now it's your turn to answer my last question - "Does that make any sense to you?".
That's the only way this Q&A session is going to work ;)

No, it does not make sense to me.
It never made sense to me how someone can take scripture and make it fit into what they believe.
I know my answer may lead to more discussion, but onto the next question.

Another great thinker of today: What do you think of Francis Schaeffer?

Back