Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do people only curse God & Jesus and not allah, etc.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Heidi

No non-Muslim ever curses allah or the tooth fairy because they know that allah & the tooth fairy have no power over them. Yet non-Christians do curse Jesus Christ because they know Jesus has power over them. Nor does anyone ever curse Buddha or Rhama Krishna. Therefore, everyone who's ever heard of Christ knows he's the only religious figure who has power over them or cursing him would be like cursing the tooth fairy. :)

You are exactly right. The enemy has no reason to get people to misuse the name of allah as he is not a real god. However he knows that cursing the Name above all names is blasphemy.

I think people use the words 'God' and 'Jesus' as curse words because they are enculturated to do so. Those words are so much a part of Western society that they become part of everybody's vocabulary, we see and hear them in various uses in daily life, whether one believes or not.

People who do not speak English use other curses that may or may not involve the names of religious figures. Many may be brought up in a culture that has different ideas of how to use or not use certain words.

edit: clarification, must have been sleepy :wink:

I used to curse Allah a lot.....

When I listened to Michael Savage regularly....

I don't think I've ever heard anyone curse Jesus or God. I've heard people use imperatives, asking God to curse things. I've heard people call upon the name of Jesus in times of trial. Don't think I've ever heard anyone curse the name of Jesus or God, though. Do you have an example?

I figured she meant 'curse' as in 'blasphemy.'

Either way, being that these words/names are so reflexive in our Western culture I think it's a matter of conditioning rather than any involved logical process involving the 'defaming' of personal authority figures...

I bet next time you stub your toe, hard, you utter a single word describing:
a. A vulgar term for carnal acts between two people
b. A man who was popularly thought to be born on December 25th

Neither of these terms are meant to mean anything except 'ouch.'

Re: Why do people only curse God & Jesus and not allah,

Heidi said:
No non-Muslim ever curses allah or the tooth fairy because they know that allah & the tooth fairy have no power over them. Yet non-Christians do curse Jesus Christ because they know Jesus has power over them. Nor does anyone ever curse Buddha or Rhama Krishna. Therefore, everyone who's ever heard of Christ knows he's the only religious figure who has power over them or cursing him would be like cursing the tooth fairy. :)

I like the use of the words "curse" and "power" within one post, for that is what cursing all amounts to, doesn't it ... one experiences frustration and expresses one's impotence or, if you like, one's powerlessness to do something about the cause for that frustration. There is no power in cursing and consequently ... since it doesn't solve anything ... cursing is a bit silly ... a bit primitive ... for when one curses one primarily insults c.q. ridicules oneself.

Thanatos said:
I don't think I've ever heard anyone curse Jesus or God. I've heard people use imperatives, asking God to curse things. I've heard people call upon the name of Jesus in times of trial. Don't think I've ever heard anyone curse the name of Jesus or God, though. Do you have an example?

Hello? :o The name of Jesus Christ is taken in vain every single day! It's all over the movies and television. People use either his first name, add Christ to it, use only Christ, say "For Christ's sakes!" and the worst of all is; "jesus*******Christ." In addition, the word; "Gees" is short for Jesus. That is where it came from.

So again, the only name that is cursed is Jesus or our Father in heaven, not Buddha, Confuscious, allah or Krishna. That's because the devil knows the only name who has power over him and he leads us to use that name when we are angry.

Re: Why do people only curse God & Jesus and not allah,

Heidi said:
How do you know all this? How many Muslims have you been around? How many Buddhists have you been around. Is Muslim countries if you did such a thing you would probably be severly punished hence the deterrant to swearing. Actually swearing is heard in this country because it has become popular to repeat. How long was it before you really knew the definitions of some popular 4 letter words. You are feeling persecuted for no reason. Really if anyone who swore really believed Jesus had power over them wouldn't do it. It's no different than when you drive down the highway and you see someone going way too fast suddenly slow down when he sees a cop. The driver knows the cop has power over him and so if anyone who swears really doesn't believe Jesus has power over him and that is why he does it.

reznwerks said:
In Muslim countries if you did such a thing you would probably be severly punished hence the deterrant to swearing.

Wrong.

Muslims can and do swear and curse.

Christians and cursing

bless those who curse you
[Jesus said: ] "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. (Luke 6:27-28)
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. (Romans 12:14)

do not curse rulers
Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people. (Exodus 22:28)

do not curse the deaf
"`Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD (Leviticus 19:14)

However, the Quran and Muhammad thought differently

invoke curse of Allah upon those who lie while disputing about Allah, Âl 'Imran 3:61. -click here -

This verse explains why Muslims will call upon the non-Muslim to put themselves under a curse when debating with non-Muslims. The Christian, however, cannot oblige because this contradicts the teachings of Jesus in the Bible, where one is not to curse, but to let your "yes" be "yes" and let your "no" be "no". This is consistent with the teaching in The Ten Commandments where we are not to misuse God's name (or not to take the name of the Lord in vain).

The article Mubahala: When Muslims challenge Christians to a curse contest examines the issue in greater detail. - click here -

Muhammad cursed some people. Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud:
The Prophet faced the Ka'ba and invoked evil on some people of Quraish, on Shaiba bin Rabi'a, 'Utba bin Rabi'a, Al-Walid bin 'Utba and Abu Jahl bin Hisham. I bear witness, by Allah, that I saw them all dead, putrefied by the sun as that day was a very hot day. (Sahih Bukhari 5.297)

Muhammad spent 30 or 40 days cursing a few tribes. For thirty days Allah's Apostle invoked Allah to curse those who had killed the companions of Bir-Mauna; he invoked evil upon the tribes of Ral, Dhakwan, and Usaiya who disobeyed Allah and His Apostle. There was reveled about those who were killed at Bir-Mauna a Quranic Verse we used to recite, but it was cancelled later on. The Verse was: "Inform our people that we have met our Lord. He is pleased with us and He has made us pleased." Sahih Bukhari 4.69

see also Sahih Bukhari 1.241. - click here -

Source: http://www.answering-islam.org/Index/C/curses.html

Althoug you are right, Gary, the curses supposedly come from allah, but Muslims do not curse allah. There is no reason for Muslim or non-Muslim to curse allah because Satan knows he's not real and therefore it would be useless and provide no saitsfaction to curse an imaginary God. :)

Heidi said:
Althoug you are right, Gary, the curses supposedly come from allah, but Muslims do not curse allah. There is no reason for Muslim or non-Muslim to curse allah because Satan knows he's not real and therefore it would be useless and provide no saitsfaction to curse an imaginary God. :)
Nice thinking, shame thats not the truth. The reason they don't curse allah is because they truely fear him and what society would do. Many Islamic countries would punish people who say such blasphemy with death. Oh and what muslims do you know and talk with or are you just making presumptions?

Most Buddhists (that I know, anyway) don't curse Shakyamuni Buddha because they don't believe he has any power over them (he didn't claim to be god, or come from god, or anything).

When I stub my toe or something, I shout god or such, mostly as a cultural thing, I think.

No non-Muslim ever curses allah or the tooth fairy because they know that allah & the tooth fairy have no power over them. Yet non-Christians do curse Jesus Christ because they know Jesus has power over them. Nor does anyone ever curse Buddha or Rhama Krishna. Therefore, everyone who's ever heard of Christ knows he's the only religious figure who has power over them or cursing him would be like cursing the tooth fairy.

I think we should have people from other countries verify this.

I am sure there are Muslims that have cursed Allah and I personally have cursed the "fat Buddha" before... :oops:

Soma-Sight said:
I am sure there are Muslims that have cursed Allah and I personally have cursed the "fat Buddha" before... :oops:

Aww...and Buddha wasn't even fat. Though, I must admit I've cursed Christian figures (mostly Mary) in ways that...erm...use your imagination. :oops:

On second note, I've never heard a Muslim curse Allah, but this is possibly because I only know two of them.

RoomThree said:
Soma-Sight said:

Aww...and Buddha wasn't even fat. Though, I must admit I've cursed Christian figures (mostly Mary) in ways that...erm...use your imagination. :oops:

On second note, I've never heard a Muslim curse Allah, but this is possibly because I only know two of them.

Sorry, but I have never heard anyone curse the name of Buddha when they are angry. No one. And I sincerely doubt that that has ever satisifed your anger. But since atheists cannot admit they're wrong about anything concerning religion, then they have no capacity to see their own falsehoods. Cursing Buddha is like cursing the toothfairy or Santa Claus. It serves no purpose whatsoever because Santa Claus & Buddha have no power over anyone and everyone knows it. Buddhists themselves are afraid to curse Buddha because of their superstitions and there is zero reason for non-Buddhists to curse him which you also know. ;-)

This is bad, but i purposly got into the habit of saying Bhudda-damn or Buddah Damn it... Its a lot better than slipping up and using the Lords name

starbyfar said:
This is bad, but i purposly got into the habit of saying Bhudda-damn or Buddah Damn it... Its a lot better than slipping up and using the Lords name

I highly doubt it, friend. ;-)

As for myself. I tend to swear by the deities of my ancestors.
usually something along the lines of; "By Odins bloody socket", "Tyr's ravaged stump" or, "Morrigan's blood filled ****." I've also used words and phrases from some favorite writers, i.e.; "Gods of my ancestors", "By the first holy egg", "Hel's frozen ****."

My problem with alot of the swearing that I hear in the course of a day is the lack of creativity. With modern access to various languages, historical figures, and, mythical databases, you will think that the youth of today would put some effort into coming up with new and original phrases and words. instead we just get repeats of whatever is popular in current movies and TV. Lazy kids, they can all go suck on Hecate's tattered ***. :-D

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back