Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do people only curse God & Jesus and not allah, etc.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jesus is cursed all over the media, telvision, movies, and on street corners everyday. So people pretending they curse others just for the sake of argument cannot take away the fact that Jesus Christ and God are the only religious deities ever cursed from genuine anger. So everyone knows who is Lord. :)

I'm...not exactly sure what you mean by "curse" Jesus. I'm guessing, from the replies, like it's what you do when you get hurt or frustrated. Like, you get a paper cut and go, "ARGH, Jesus CHRIST that hurt!". Like that?

Well, I do "curse" Jesus a lot, but that's not because I necessarily believe he has power over me or anything. It's just I hear it so much...it's ingrained. Plus the name itself is just gratifiying to say. (I happen to have an affinity to J names...I love names like Jason, Jamie, Jackie...don't ask, 'cause I don't know where it came from.)

I've heard Muslims "curse" Allah too. I was at a Muslim friend's house and he accidentally spilled his drink on some papers he was working on and he went, "YAAA ALLAH!" which is basically "OOOOH GOOOD!" in Arabic. So, no, Muslims do mention Allah's name when they get hurt or frustrated or whatever.

Re:

Joudie said:
I'm...not exactly sure what you mean by "curse" Jesus. I'm guessing, from the replies, like it's what you do when you get hurt or frustrated. Like, you get a paper cut and go, "ARGH, Jesus CHRIST that hurt!". Like that?

Well, I do "curse" Jesus a lot, but that's not because I necessarily believe he has power over me or anything. It's just I hear it so much...it's ingrained. Plus the name itself is just gratifiying to say. (I happen to have an affinity to J names...I love names like Jason, Jamie, Jackie...don't ask, 'cause I don't know where it came from.)

I've heard Muslims "curse" Allah too. I was at a Muslim friend's house and he accidentally spilled his drink on some papers he was working on and he went, "YAAA ALLAH!" which is basically "OOOOH GOOOD!" in Arabic. So, no, Muslims do mention Allah's name when they get hurt or frustrated or whatever.

Yes you're correct. I myself have used those words to curse (as a Muslim), although I have never used Christ’s name as a curse or swear-word. It is not seen as blasphemous to Muslims to say such things.

Or maybe those phrases were ingrained into our western culture because Christianity has been the dominant religion....

Cursing is an act of offense. It is used to offend. Because Christianity is deeply established into our society, it is much more offensive to use the name of Jesus or God with an explicit, than Allah in our society. Or the tooth fairy in any society.....

If what the OP was saying was true, Buddhists would be using Jesus' name in vain. Anyone heard much of that?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back