Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Women...........

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
No I don't agree. Two things here.
1) How disappointing for a man when a woman dresses up for him before they are married but not maintain herself afterwards. What's that about?
2) If a woman doesn't like to dress up all the time and won't after they are married she shouldn't present herself as if she intends too. That's just plain wrong in my perspective.
3) I wouldn't want a man who was attracted to me because I dressed one way before he caught me and then changed afterwards.

1) That's about speaking generally, as if the woman is in an active pursuit of finding a husband. To dress up to go out and find a man almost always finds the women dressing to further extremes of sexiness than if she is not in pursuit of a man. It's not about not maintaining herself. It's more along the lines of...the difference in the way they dress to, go to work, or to go clubbing. See the difference? After she's married she doesn't really need to dress to go clubbing anymore. Of course, some women will not go to clubs. (I wouldn't go to a club to look for a wife either), so those women wouldn't need to tone their dress down after getting married. But I was speaking in generalities because many women do go clubbing. That's the hard hard part about speaking in general, the exceptions to the rule will read it and speak up, doh. :lol

2) You're right. I like the casual look anyway. The really good wives are met when not "looking". I met my wife at work. Again, speaking in generalities got me in trouble with that one.

3) The very first thing that men see and are attracted to (in general, lol) is her attractiveness. The good wife who was "caught" would not need to change her dress code. Those women that would need to change it would not be marriage material anyway. So...touche'! :clap

In the Christian community I grew up in, or the world I knew at least, women weren't supposed to wear pants. I remember one argument being along the lines of "pants attract your eyes to the crotch area". ....wouldn't that go for guys, too? Men have more down there that's more likely to be visible than women do, just sayin'.
But that's really as far as our limits on clothing went. No other restrictions, aside from general modest in clothing choices. Oh, and two piece swimsuits were out of the question.

That said, and I grew up in a fundamental church, I wouldn't say that the church I grew up in nor many of the people I knew viewed women as sexual objects and nothing more. They often had views that were somewhat different, perhaps more extreme than mine are now (these days I'm a classic feminist/egalitarian), but...y'know. I'm not one to fault people over a disagreement, especially knowing the particular subculture they were used to.

The article in the OP reminds me a bit of this article I came across around June or so:
http://thatpreacherguy.com/2014/06/27/poolside-purity/

Oh, and I'm the gal who goes around in t-shirts and pants, and wears old t-shirts and shorts when I go swimming. (I don't necessarily think swimsuits are bad, I just don't feel comfortable in them.) I don't think anyone could tell me that I dress immodestly. Nor do I condone immodesty.

Last edited:
Had the pants wearing 'discussion' with dad....
he gave this scripture
Deu 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
Politely i said something to the effect.... when that was written every one wore robes ....

Had the pants wearing 'discussion' with dad....
he gave this scripture
Deu 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
Politely i said something to the effect.... when that was written every one wore robes ....
men used to wear make up, not women.

There are sometimes different ideas on what's modest and what's not...

I had to go shopping for some shorts earlier this year to wear during a particular summer event, and my mom and I were having a somewhat heated back-and-forth over the shorts at Goodwill. Heheh. To put things into perspective, these shorts I was looking at were just above the knee or about that, and she still didn't like some of them.

There are sometimes different ideas on what's modest and what's not...

I had to go shopping for some shorts earlier this year to wear during a particular summer event, and my mom and I were having a somewhat heated back-and-forth over the shorts at Goodwill. Heheh. To put things into perspective, these shorts I was looking at were just above the knee or about that, and she still didn't like some of them.
Reminds me of the time my sister had to throw a good swim suit away because it had a hole in the knee.

...my mom and I were having a somewhat heated back-and-forth over the shorts at Goodwill.
You won't fully understand that this is how your mom expresses her loving concern for you until you have kids of your own.

I wish I'd learned early as a parent to just come right out and openly share my loving concerns for my kids and the reasons why I didn't want them doing certain things, seeing certain people, or wearing certain things, etc.

You won't fully understand that this is how your mom expresses her loving concern for you until you have kids of your own.

I wish I'd learned early as a parent to just come right out and openly share my loving concerns for my kids and the reasons why I didn't want them doing certain things, seeing certain people, or wearing certain things, etc.
I guess it's hard to keep that in perspective when I'm old enough to legally drink and just don't always have the same opinions she does.

My dad always let me know if he was concerned about something. And later on I came to disagree with him on some things--he didn't get upset and was fine with me having different views. (Like wearing pants. He was like, "just as long as you don't wear men's pants, I guess".) Of course, there were some lines I wouldn't have been allowed to cross while living in his house, but that never came up because I never went that far. (Though I have to wonder what he'd think of some of the views I have now, particularly my politics and no longer being KJO. He'd respect that I can have different opinions, no doubt, but he'd either be disappointed or be more adamant about presenting his views I think.)
But obviously my dad responded to things differently in general than my mom.

men used to wear make up, not women.
Yeah, right.
images

Arrrr.....he looks like a very effeminate pirate.That will never do... Arrrrrrrr
Oh he was a very awesome pirate. You should watch the movie if you haven't, it's funny and almost family friendly. Except for all the creepy skeleton pirates.

Back