Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Ã‚±

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Time Dilation

Interesting indeed.

I've often wondered about the subjectivity of the sense of time passing. The speed seems arbitrary. I've heard that flies and hummingbirds experience the passing of time at much slower speeds; that events happen more slowly for them. I have no idea how they came to that conclusion, but those animals certainly SEEM to think fast by our standards. I'm not sure how you would test the speed of time in heaven, but that could go a long way to reconciling the bible's claims with our observations.

Cool post.

I just thought I'd let you know that tidal forces continually slow down the speed of earth. The 24 hour day we are used to has been as short as 18 hours in the distant past. It might affect your conversions, which I really didn't understand.

johnmuise said:
thats a new one for me, what evidence supports that Jayls5 ?

Gah, right as I clicked "submit" for this post I see JWU beat me. Oh well, mine quotes the important part.

I learned it in my university astronomy class. It's a common thing that has been witnessed in countless celestial objects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_acceleration

Part of the article:
"Effects of moon's gravity

Because the Moon's mass is a considerable fraction of that of the Earth (about 1:81), the two bodies can be regarded as a double planet system, rather than as a planet with a satellite. The plane of the Moon's orbit around the Earth lies close to the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun (the ecliptic), rather than in the plane perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the Earth (the equator) as is usually the case with planetary satellites. The mass of the Moon is sufficiently large and it is sufficiently close to raise tides in the Earth: the matter of the Earth, in particular the water of the oceans, bulges out along both ends of an axis passing through the centers of the Earth and Moon. The average tidal bulge closely follows the Moon in its orbit, and the Earth rotates under this tidal bulge in just over a day. However, the rotation drags the position of the tidal bulge ahead of the position directly under the Moon. As a consequence, there exists a substantial amount of mass in the bulge that is offset from the line through the centers of the Earth and Moon. Because of this offset, a portion of the gravitational pull between Earth's tidal bulges and the Moon is perpendicular to the Earth-Moon line, i.e. there exists a torque between the Earth and the Moon. This accelerates the Moon in its orbit, and decelerates the rotation of the Earth.

So the result is that the mean solar day, which is nominally 86400 seconds long, is actually getting longer when measured in SI seconds with stable atomic clocks. The small difference accumulates every day, which leads to an increasing difference between our clock time (Universal Time) on the one hand, and Atomic Time and Ephemeris Time on the other hand: see ÃŽâ€T. This makes it necessary to insert a leap second at irregular intervals."

So if the days were shorter back then, would that effect the age of the earth ?

I am confused, Cristians for christ ? and you belive in "millions and billions" of years...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back