Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

90 Minutes In Heaven

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Michae1

Hello Everyone, :wave

I just revived an old thread about the "Left Behind" series of books, and I remember that when I had finished reading the last book, I was really eager for another good soul reaching story.

It may have been by divine intervention, but one day I was mentioning to my sister-in-law about how I was now looking for a new book to read. She recommended a book called "90 Minutes In Heaven" by Don Piper.

You know how you maybe you believe in Heaven because your supposed to because your a Christian? How you may have a fear of death because your not really sure what is going to happen? Have you ever felt sad at a funeral?

This book literally took away my fear of death. My fear of my parents dying. The doubts about relatives who have passed on. It made me sure beyond any doubt that there is a Heaven. It made my faith even stronger.

The first chapter is the one where the author explains how he was killed in an accident and then he tries to explain what Heaven was like. The rest of the book details his recovery and may seeming boring to some people, but it is the first chapter that captured me.

Now the author was not dead for a few minutes, surrounded by doctors trying to revive him. He was dead for a full 90 minutes in the middle of a road in a crushed car, surrounded by multiple paramedics who all said "He's dead."

The author wrote another book called "Heaven Is Real" that continues his story. I actually found it better than his first book, except for the first chapter which I mentioned earlier. In this one he details real life accounts of how God is using his experience to spread His Word.

These are two books that I also recommend for your personal library. Or as gifts to others.

Michae1 said:
Hello Everyone, :wave

I just revived an old thread about the "Left Behind" series of books, and I remember that when I had finished reading the last book, I was really eager for another good soul reaching story.

It may have been by divine intervention, but one day I was mentioning to my sister-in-law about how I was now looking for a new book to read. She recommended a book called "90 Minutes In Heaven" by Don Piper.

You know how you maybe you believe in Heaven because your supposed to because your a Christian? How you may have a fear of death because your not really sure what is going to happen? Have you ever felt sad at a funeral?

This book literally took away my fear of death. My fear of my parents dying. The doubts about relatives who have passed on. It made me sure beyond any doubt that there is a Heaven. It made my faith even stronger.
The first chapter is the one where the author explains how he was killed in an accident and then he tries to explain what Heaven was like. The rest of the book details his recovery and may seeming boring to some people, but it is the first chapter that captured me.

Now the author was not dead for a few minutes, surrounded by doctors trying to revive him. He was dead for a full 90 minutes in the middle of a road in a crushed car, surrounded by multiple paramedics who all said "He's dead."

The author wrote another book called "Heaven Is Real" that continues his story. I actually found it better than his first book, except for the first chapter which I mentioned earlier. In this one he details real life accounts of how God is using his experience to spread His Word.

These are two books that I also recommend for your personal library. Or as gifts to others.

Hey,

I've also read '90 minutes inheaven' & i thought it was a good book & the way heaven was describe was kind of the way i thought it was like. For example when the author was talking about going towards the big gold gates and such.

Do you know where I could get the other book 'Heaven Is Real'? as I would be really interested in reading that book also.

Stacey xx

When I first read these books, I went to the library and signed them out.

But they were so inspirational I had to add them to my personal library. I believe that the Family Christian Stores has the first book "90 Minutes in Heaven" on sale for $5.00 and I am willing to bet they have the second book "Heaven is Real" also. Although not on sale.

They have a web site you could google for, or you could search for a Christian bookstore in your area.

Question: Lazarus was dead four days and never once mentioned this supposed time in heaven. Why do you suppose God never has Lazarus mention anything about heaven so we could all be informed? One other question. If we all go straight to heaven at death what's the purpose of a resurrection and what then gets resurrected?

My friend RND asks what good Heaven does, if we're going to be resurrected anyway.

When we're in Heaven, we are not and cannot be fully like Jesus, because He has a glorified Resurrection body and we do not. We'll be happy in Heaven, but something will be missing.

Vince said:
My friend RND asks what good Heaven does, if we're going to be resurrected anyway.
Friend RND asks no such thing. Friend RND has made very clear what he asks.

When we're in Heaven, we are not and cannot be fully like Jesus, because He has a glorified Resurrection body and we do not. We'll be happy in Heaven, but something will be missing.
1 Corinthians 15 states specifically when we are raised we will be raised in a glorified body.

1Cr 15:50 ¶ Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. 1Cr 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 1Cr 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 1Cr 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. 1Cr 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

It appears friend RND's question has yet to be answered.

RND said:
Question: Lazarus was dead four days and never once mentioned this supposed time in heaven. Why do you suppose God never has Lazarus mention anything about heaven so we could all be informed?
Well, one reason is that Lazarus had not gone to Heaven at that time. When he died he went to Paradise to wait with the other Old Testament believers for the resurrection of Jesus. So why did God not have Lazarus write about Paradise? Well I cannot speak for why God does something or not. But in John 11, the Bible shows that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead so that those who were there (and those who read about it later) would believe that Jesus is the resurrection and the life. Not to inform us what is was like to have died.

RND said:
One other question. If we all go straight to heaven at death what's the purpose of a resurrection and what then gets resurrected?
Only born again believers go straight to Heaven, so I will assume that is who you are referring to. The resurrection is Jesus defeating death, after suffering and dying for all our sins. The purpose of the resurrection was so that all of us who believe in Jesus, could be saved by his sacrifice, and join him in Heaven.

Michae1 said:
Well, one reason is that Lazarus had not gone to Heaven at that time. When he died he went to Paradise to wait with the other Old Testament believers for the resurrection of Jesus.
Wow. That leads to even more questions. For example, why does God treat death differently then as He supposedly does now? Why did Lazarus go to 'Paradise' and now people who die go 'straight to heaven'? Why are the dead judged twice? Where in scripture can I read that God treats death differently than He treats death now and when did that start?

So why did God not have Lazarus write about Paradise? Well I cannot speak for why God does something or not. But in John 11, the Bible shows that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead so that those who were there (and those who read about it later) would believe that Jesus is the resurrection and the life. Not to inform us what is was like to have died.
So why then is God allowing books to be written about this subject now instead of allowing scripture to speak for itself?

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any [thing] that is done under the sun.

Only born again believers go straight to Heaven, so I will assume that is who you are referring to.
They do? Where can I read about this? I assume Lazarus was a believer in Jesus Christ and yet Martha knew that Lazarus would be resurrected on the 'last day' which seem exactly what is promised in 1 Corinthians 15 and 1 Thessalonians 4.

The resurrection is Jesus defeating death, after suffering and dying for all our sins.
So why are the dead 'resurrected' immediately and sent to heaven right at death?

The purpose of the resurrection was so that all of us who believe in Jesus, could be saved by his sacrifice, and join him in Heaven.
This is extremely confusing to me. The purpose of 'what' resurrection? Has the resurrection of the dead even happened yet and I missed it? How is believing in the sacrifice in Jesus enhanced by an event that hasn't happened yet? Isn't the resurrection called 'the blessed hope'?

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Wow. You seriously do not know why Lazarus and the other Old Testament saints did not go straight to Heaven? Could it be that no one was worthy to be in a Holy place like Heaven, until Jesus wiped away our sins by dying on the cross?

You really enjoy being acerbic and tearing other peoples statements apart, don't you. Just because you do not understand something does not make it untrue.

Rhetorical idiocy may suit you, but it is very annoying.

And yes, only those who are born again will see Heaven:

(John 3:3 NASB) Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Michae1 said:
Wow. You seriously do not know why Lazarus and the other Old Testament saints did not go straight to Heaven?
Actually, I know exactly why no one goes straight to heaven at death - because the Bible says people don't. This is the purpose for the 'last day' resurrection.

Job 14:10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where [is] he? Job 14:11 [As] the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: Job 14:12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens [be] no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. Job 14:13 ¶ O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! Job 14:14 If a man die, shall he live [again]? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come. Job 14:15 Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

Could it be that no one was worthy to be in a Holy place like Heaven, until Jesus wiped away our sins by dying on the cross?
If you could find one scripture verse to substantiate such speculation it might be an interesting notion. In that there are none I'll assume it's just that - speculation.

You really enjoy being acerbic and tearing other peoples statements apart, don't you. Just because you do not understand something does not make it untrue.
I would do my best if I were you to use the Bible in making any assumptions about what happens at death.
Rhetorical idiocy may suit you, but it is very annoying.
If you are going to make statements about things that scripture does not support I will certainly make the necessary comments about those statements.

And yes, only those who are born again will see Heaven:

(John 3:3 NASB) Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Where is the Kingdom of God?

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

My mum read this book and found it extremely inspirational. I'm not going to judge whether this guy's experience was real or not...as none of us truly know what heaven is like, But I've read other texts, and they have been similarily inspirational and have taken away my own fear of death and of other brothers and sisters in Christ dying.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back