Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study A boy and his bicycle: Tithing

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Sparkey

Retired
Conclusion

Feast Days: [Deuteronomy 16:5-14 NKJV] - "You may not sacrifice the Passover within any of your gates which the LORD your God gives you; "but at the place where the LORD your God chooses to make His name abide, there you shall sacrifice the Passover at twilight, at the going down of the sun, at the time you came out of Egypt. "And you shall roast and eat it in the place which the LORD your God chooses, and in the morning you shall turn and go to your tents. "Six days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a sacred assembly to the LORD your God. You shall do no work on it. "You shall count seven weeks for yourself; begin to count the seven weeks from the time you begin to put the sickle to the grain. "Then you shall keep the Feast of Weeks to the LORD your God with the tribute of a freewill offering from your hand, which you shall give as the LORD your God blesses you. "You shall rejoice before the LORD your God, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, the Levite who is within your gates, the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are among you, at the place where the LORD your God chooses to make His name abide. "And you shall remember that you were a slave in Egypt, and you shall be careful to observe these statutes. "You shall observe the Feast of Tabernacles seven days, when you have gathered from your threshing floor and from your winepress. "And you shall rejoice in your feast, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant and the Levite, the stranger and the fatherless and the widow, who are within your gates.

[Deuteronomy 26:12-13 NKJV] - "When you have finished laying aside all the tithe of your increase in the third year the year of tithing—and have given it to the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, so that they may eat within your gates and be filled, "then you shall say before the LORD your God: 'I have removed the holy tithe from my house, and also have given them to the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, according to all Your commandments which You have commanded me; I have not transgressed Your commandments, nor have I forgotten them.

[2 Chronicles 31:5-6 NKJV] - As soon as the commandment was circulated, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of grain and wine, oil and honey, and of all the produce of the field; and they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything. And the children of Israel and Judah, who dwelt in the cities of Judah, brought the tithe of oxen and sheep; also the tithe of holy things which were consecrated to the LORD their God they laid in heaps.

[Nehemiah 10:38 KJV] - And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

[Nehemiah 13:12 NKJV] - Then all Judah brought the tithe of the grain and the new wine and the oil to the storehouse.

The Son of God said:
[Matthew 23:23 NKJV] - "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

The Christ said:
[Luke 11:42 NKJV] - "But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

And what were the weighter matters? Let everybody say, "Mercy and Justice and Love of our fellow man!" And what is required of us? that we love Mercy and Justice and that we walk with our God. Be the salt of the earth and resit evil, my brother. Be restored of a truth in truth. Can we see that there are those who will say, "Lord, Lord... have we not done (by the work of our own hands) this or that in your name? Have we not prophesied in your name?" Sadly it is the very message from the pulpit - that the humble in spirit, that the poor, the meek are to blame - that message that cajoles us into reaching deeper into our pockets to "see if God will not pour out the blessing" that causes many to think that the Law of the Lord, that the spirit of God is wanting... What can we give to Him who owns all heaven and all earth? Shall we not give our thanks and our tenderheartedness, shall we not give our willingness? Can we please Him with bulls or sacrifice? Let it be the sacrifice of praise on our lips as we accept His gift to us, the law, written rightly into the fleshly tablets, and our healed mind - refreshed by the very Word of God.

We will return now to the boy and his bicycle. If the young lad were suffering from bullies (be it bullies of the pulpit or neighbors) and if the bicycle had been stolen, extorted or otherwise, if the "gift" was not willingly given, would it be right for the parents (or God) to buy the third bicycle? I guess that depends. God's mercy endures forever but we do need to wake up to His heart and to become good stewards on that into which we are entrusted.

The preachers who speak weakly or weekly from Malachi are willfully ignoring the fact that the Prophet was speaking TO THE HOUSE OF LEVI when the Lord commanded that he rebuke them.

[Malachi 1:5-8 NKJV] - Your eyes shall see, And you shall say, 'The LORD is magnified beyond the border of Israel.' "A son honors his father, And a servant his master. If then I am the Father, Where is My honor? And if I am a Master, Where is My reverence? Says the LORD of hosts To you priests who despise My name. Yet you say, 'In what way have we despised Your name?' "You offer defiled food on My altar, But say, 'In what way have we defiled You?' By saying, 'The table of the LORD is contemptible.' And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice, Is it not evil? And when you offer the lame and sick, Is it not evil? Offer it then to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you favorably?" Says the LORD of hosts.

[Malachi 2:1-2 NKJV] - "And now, O priests, this commandment is for you. If you will not hear, And if you will not take it to heart, To give glory to My name," Says the LORD of hosts, "I will send a curse upon you, And I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have cursed them already, Because you do not take it to heart.

[Malachi 2:4-10, 17 NKJV] - Then you shall know that I have sent this commandment to you, That My covenant with Levi may continue," Says the LORD of hosts. "My covenant was with him, one of life and peace, And I gave them to him that he might fear Me; So he feared Me And was reverent before My name. The law of truth was in his mouth, And injustice was not found on his lips. He walked with Me in peace and equity, And turned many away from iniquity. "For the lips of a priest should keep knowledge, And people should seek the law from his mouth; For he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts. But you have departed from the way; You have caused many to stumble at the law. You have corrupted the covenant of Levi," Says the LORD of hosts. "Therefore I also have made you contemptible and base Before all the people, Because you have not kept My ways But have shown partiality in the law." Have we not all one Father? Has not one God created us? Why do we deal treacherously with one another By profaning the covenant of the fathers? ... You have wearied the LORD with your words; Yet you say, "In what way have we wearied Him?" In that you say, "Everyone who does evil Is good in the sight of the LORD, And He delights in them," Or, "Where is the God of justice?"

In conclusion it is my hope that the boy, an analogy of the church at large will return to the Love of the Truth and reject any thought that God is not utterly and completely good, having only good in mind for the apple of His eye and form together, rejecting the lie and turn so that the God of all Justice may hear their cry and heal them of all dis-ease.

:study Lord, cause us to know Your heart, to consider Your command for the purpose of our Joy - that we may consume the good that you have provided, (and not neglect nor forsake the Levite) that we may rest and pay our obligation to the "land" -our bodies. Let it be from a willing heart for we know and are minded that "the Lord doth love a cheerful giver." It would be my heart to be a giver, according to Your will - that both my hands may be open to the poor and that all who are given the gift of giving may do so as you intended. Lord the times themselves are stressful and there are liars who have said, "Godliness is Gain". We need to be restored unto the truth and joy you have provided and be made whole again. Cause us to cease from the toil of our hands according to Your word - that our offering be that of Able, pleasing and acceptable unto You. :pray

Last edited by a moderator:
(Post 2 - second from last in a series. Go 'up' in thread to the beginning, meant to be read top-down.)

What Passes Under the Rod -or- The ‘Tenth Part’: [Leviticus 27:30, 32 NKJV] - 'And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's. It is holy to the LORD. ... 'And concerning the tithe of the herd or the flock, of whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD.

[Numbers 18:26 NKJV] - "Speak thus to the Levites, and say to them: 'When you take from the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them as your inheritance, then you shall offer up a heave offering of it to the LORD, a tenth of the tithe.

One law – the same for both ‘native-born’ and ‘stranger’: [Numbers 15:1-3, 13-16 NKJV] - And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: 'When you have come into the land you are to inhabit, which I am giving to you, 'and you make an offering by fire to the LORD, a burnt offering or a sacrifice, to fulfill a vow or as a freewill offering or in your appointed feasts, to make a sweet aroma to the LORD, from the herd or the flock, ... 'All who are native-born shall do these things in this manner, in presenting an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the LORD. 'And if a stranger dwells with you, or whoever is among you throughout your generations, and would present an offering made by fire, a sweet aroma to the LORD, just as you do, so shall he do. 'One ordinance shall be for you of the assembly and for the stranger who dwells with you, an ordinance forever throughout your generations; as you are, so shall the stranger be before the LORD. 'One law and one custom shall be for you and for the stranger who dwells with you.'"

The inheritance of the Levites: [Numbers 18:24, 26-28 NKJV] - "For the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer up as a heave offering to the LORD, I have given to the Levites as an inheritance; therefore I have said to them, 'Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance."' ... "Speak thus to the Levites, and say to them: 'When you take from the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them as your inheritance, then you shall offer up a heave offering of it to the LORD, a tenth of the tithe. 'And your heave offering shall be reckoned to you as though it were the grain of the threshing floor and as the fullness of the winepress. 'Thus you shall also offer a heave offering to the LORD from all your tithes which you receive from the children of Israel, and you shall give the LORD's heave offering from it to Aaron the priest.

[Deuteronomy 12:17 NKJV] - "You may not eat within your gates the tithe of your grain or your new wine or your oil, of the firstborn of your herd or your flock, of any of your offerings which you vow, of your freewill offerings, or of the heave offering of your hand.

[Deuteronomy 14:22-24, 28 NKJV] - "You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. "And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always. "But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you, ... "At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates."

We are commanded here to eat the tithe. Earlier we were commanded to rest and take a break every 7th year. Now the command is to eat our own tithe. In Holy City – in the place where the Lord chooses to make His Name abide – in that special place we are to learn to fear the Lord by consuming the 10th part of all the increase that the Lord has provided. There is provision made for long journeys too… Here is the expanded part:

[Deuteronomy 14:2-3, 22-29 NKJV] - "For you are a holy people to the LORD your God, and the LORD has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. "You shall not eat any detestable thing. ...

"You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. "And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.

"But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you, "then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses. "And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

"You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you. "At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates. "And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.

Now there’s something you don’t hear preached from the pulpit every day. We were commanded to store up and then consume in joy the tithe 2 out of every three (3) years. On the third year we were commanded to not forsake the Levite.

Post 3 -- meant to be read "Top-Down"

[FONT=&quot]Chapter 24 of Leviticus discusses 3 responsibilities of the children:
  • the Preparation of the holy oil,
  • the Providing of the holy bread and
  • the Protecting of the Holy Name.
We can understand that the “oil†spoken of is nowadays the anointing of the Spirit – that we are to “bring the holy oil†by praying and being anointed to hear or speak the holy word. Oil, when burned provided illumination and those who have studied the word are able to provide insight into the words of our Father. Charles Spurgeon (paraphrasing now) was correct when he said that “Great Preachers do not make great congregations but great congregations make great Preachers.†Those who gather and prepare by praying for the preachers are involved in the message by asking that the Lord provide the oil of anointing to those parts of the body who are tasked with speaking. The congregation had a huge role to play, there were to prepare the holy oil that the lamp might burn bright in the tabernacle. The parable of the 10 virgins, 5 wise and 5 foolish comes to mind. We are commanded to prepare the oil.

The people were also commanded to provide something as well, not only prepare the holy oil, but also (verse 5 of chapter 24) provide the holy bread that Aaron and his sons might be fed on the Sabbath day in the sanctuary. It seems reasonable for the congregation to provide bread from and of the earth (– pizzas?) to those who are ministering the Word of God – the Bread of Life. What better exchange? Mere bread for The Bread, the Word of God.

The third responsibility laid out in chapter 24 of Leviticus deals with the protecting of the Holy Name. Verses 10 and 11 show the dishonoring of the Name of God. God’s Name was blasphemed; a man who was ½ Israelite and ½ Egyptian had blasphemed the Holy Name of God. They didn’t know what to do, was the man to be held to the same standard as the full Israelite? They went about determining God’s will (vs. 12 “– They put him in custody until the will of the Lord should be made clear to them.†[Leviticus 24:12 NIV]). The people were held responsible (corporately) to protect the Holy Name.

Many today cause great, great mockery around the country and God says that he takes that with deadly seriousness. What we find in the law about paying part of our duty to God is that the Children of God first saw that His name was dishonored, then His will was determined and then they discerned His method – a man was to die… an eye for an eye – the man had killed (by blasphemy) the reputation of God (if you will understand) and his life was required of him finally in vs. 23 – when the children were required to dispense God’s justice. Moses spake this unto the children, they brought him out of the camp and they did as the Lord commanded Moses. It is my thought that we are commanded to pay our tithe, our duty unto the Lord and to be holy because He is holy – that we are to inquire of the Lord regarding His will and become willing to act accordingly. We are to separate ourselves from the profane and become unwilling to even bless or say “Godspeed†to those who defile themselves in the manner of men. This then is part of our duty, part of our tithe – part of the obligation owed to and commanded by God – that we prepare the oil, that we bring and provide the bread AND that we protect the Holy Name.[/FONT]

Chapter 25 of Leviticus deals with the 7th “Sabbath Yearâ€. The year of Rest is paid unto the land. We now know agriculturally the importance of giving rest to the land but not only that, but the beasts, the kids (children) and everybody was to take a year off from their burdens. Every 7th year people were to rest, they were to relax. (( Not bad, eh? )) During that year, bills didn’t have to be paid. Debts weren’t cancelled but nothing owing needed to be rendered. It was a year of grace. During that year, the book of Deuteronomy would be read (see Deuteronomy 31:9-13). It would be a year long bible conference where people would focus on relaxing and being renewed and the Law, Oh the Law (a sigh of relief could be heard) – would become a greater part of their everyday lives, particularly Deuteronomy which is the Law – given in summation.

Did the plan (as outlined by God) work? Or did the people of God go for 490 years without taking a Sabbath break? You know the story, many of you – but we can look into 2nd Chronicles where God said, “You’ve robbed yourselves, you’ve robbed me of 70 Sabbath Years…(therefore you’re gonna be carried away into Babylon for 70 years… see 2Chron 36:21).

they said, “Hey, we can get ahead. We can carry on in our enterprises and don’t have to pay attention to the Ways of God…†They failed to pay their obligation to the Lord and didn’t tithe the Sabbath Rest.

Like the Fram Oil filter man on TV says, “You can pay me now ($6.00 for the oil filter) or you can pay me later (with a blown out engine)… but you’re gonna pay…

What is wrong with us? God told THEM to take every 7th year off and we wonder, who wouldn’t love that? But then when He speaks to us and tells us stuff like, [/font]
“Call upon me early the morning…†and we’re like, “Well, I dunno…â€

<< okay, enough preach – sorry >>

Post 2 - Meant to be read Top-Down

Abraham and Isaac: [Genesis 22:2-3, 6-8, 13 NKJV] - Then He said, "Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you." So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. ... So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together. But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, "My father!" And he said, "Here I am, my son." Then he said, "Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" And Abraham said, "My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering." So the two of them went together. ... Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son.

Free Will Offerings: [Exodus 25:2 NKJV] - "Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.

[Exodus 29:28 NKJV] - "It shall be from the children of Israel for Aaron and his sons by a statute forever. For it is a heave offering; it shall be a heave offering from the children of Israel from the sacrifices of their peace offerings, that is, their heave offering to the LORD.

[Exodus 30:15 NKJV] - "The rich shall not give more and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when you give an offering to the LORD, to make atonement for yourselves.

[Exodus 35:5, 21-22, 29 NKJV] - 'Take from among you an offering to the LORD. Whoever is of a willing heart, let him bring it as an offering to the LORD: gold, silver, and bronze; ... Then everyone came whose heart was stirred, and everyone whose spirit was willing, and they brought the LORD's offering for the work of the tabernacle of meeting, for all its service, and for the holy garments. They came, both men and women, as many as had a willing heart, and brought earrings and nose rings, rings and necklaces, all jewelry of gold, that is, every man who made an offering of gold to the LORD. ... The children of Israel brought a freewill offering to the LORD, all the men and women whose hearts were willing to bring material for all kinds of work which the LORD, by the hand of Moses, had commanded to be done.

[Exodus 36:3, 6 NKJV] - And they received from Moses all the offering which the children of Israel had brought for the work of the service of making the sanctuary. So they continued bringing to him freewill offerings every morning. ... So Moses gave a commandment, and they caused it to be proclaimed throughout the camp, saying, "Let neither man nor woman do any more work for the offering of the sanctuary." And the people were restrained from bringing,

--- The theme of Leviticus is Holiness. God is whole, not lacking, nothing missing and He wants us to be like him – holy. Holiness leads to happiness and this is really the foundational theme of the book of Leviticus – Holiness leads to happiness and unholiness (ungodliness) leads to unhappiness.

Without Blemish: [Leviticus 1:3 NKJV] - 'If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the LORD.

Trespass Offerings: [Leviticus 5:6-7, 9, 11, 13 NKJV] - 'and he shall bring his trespass offering to the LORD for his sin which he has committed, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats as a sin offering. So the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his sin. 'If he is not able to bring a lamb, then he shall bring to the LORD, for his trespass which he has committed, two turtledoves or two young pigeons: one as a sin offering and the other as a burnt offering. ... 'Then he shall sprinkle some of the blood of the sin offering on the side of the altar, and the rest of the blood shall be drained out at the base of the altar. It is a sin offering. ... 'But if he is not able to bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons, then he who sinned shall bring for his offering one-tenth of an ephah of fine flour as a sin offering. He shall put no oil on it, nor shall he put frankincense on it, for it is a sin offering. ... 'The priest shall make atonement for him, for his sin that he has committed in any of these matters; and it shall be forgiven him. The rest shall be the priest's as a grain offering.'"

[Leviticus 7:37 NKJV] - This is the law of the burnt offering, the grain offering, the sin offering, the trespass offering, the consecrations, and the sacrifice of the peace offering,

Provision is made for the poor, 'And if she is not able to bring a lamb, then she may bring two turtledoves or two young pigeons—one as a burnt offering and the other as a sin offering. So the priest shall make atonement for her, and she will be clean.'"

They were required to bring their sacrifice to the temple (as a peace offering) and the old or differing ways were prohibited. [Leviticus 17:7 NKJV] - "They shall no more offer their sacrifices to demons, after whom they have played the harlot. This shall be a statute forever for them throughout their generations."'

[FONT=&quot]Expanded:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [Leviticus 17:2-7 NKJV] - "Speak to Aaron, to his sons, and to all the children of Israel, and say to them, 'This is the thing which the LORD has commanded, saying: "Whatever man of the house of Israel who kills an ox or lamb or goat in the camp, or who kills it outside the camp, "and does not bring it to the door of the tabernacle of meeting to offer an offering to the LORD before the tabernacle of the LORD, the guilt of bloodshed shall be imputed to that man. He has shed blood; and that man shall be cut off from among his people, "to the end that the children of Israel may bring their sacrifices which they offer in the open field, that they may bring them to the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of meeting, to the priest, and offer them as peace offerings to the LORD. "And the priest shall sprinkle the blood on the altar of the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of meeting, and burn the fat for a sweet aroma to the LORD. "They shall no more offer their sacrifices to demons, after whom they have played the harlot. This shall be a statute forever for them throughout their generations."'[/FONT]​

1st in a series of Posts
START HERE

A BOY AND HIS BICYCLE:
I’d like to open this bible study with a story. It is a story about a good son who was the apple of the eye of both of his parents, a son who had been amply provided for according to the ability and wisdom they possessed. This son had been given a present of a new bicycle and for three days enjoyed riding around the neighborhood with the new found freedom of the wind in his hair. Sadly though the boy lost his bicycle and when he went to his good parents his sadness at the loss was replaced by their generosity. Another bicycle, even better than the first, was bought. The world was right again. The sun did shine on the boy and the bicycle.

Three days later the boy returned again to his parents and again tearfully explained that his treasured bicycle was gone. Some of those who are reading this may already have doubts about the “goodness” of the parents who seem to dote on the child. Some may say, “Now wait just a second here, teaching the child to be responsible and to care for his possessions is as important and perhaps more important that the joy that boy feels when riding.” What happened? Did the boy get a third bicycle? Was the mystery of the 2 missing bicycles revealed? Let’s set the story aside now and consider the subject of the bible study. Tithing. We’ll return to our story later.

THE TITHE:
Many have been taught that giving 10% is the duty of the Christian. Some have been taught that those who don’t are robbing God. There are “seed-faith” doctrines loosely based on scriptures delivered through the Prophet Malachi that are being preached through out the land. What does the bible have to say about the tithe? Where have men done well and not so well in following the heart of God in this matter?

Method:
These and other questions are the focus of this study of the Holy Writ. The following Scriptures will form the basis of the study. Let those who join be joined first into God’s purpose for today and be welcomed here. The following isn’t intended to be exhaustive but instead gleanings from the field that was planted for us – from our bread of life. Let us enjoy a full meal and come to know the heart and intent of our Lord with whom we share this simple meal. What I’ve done (so far) is simple. From the concordance two words, “Tithe” and “Offering” were searched. The results were scanned quickly and various verses were selected. I then made a judgment call – and sorted the result according to what I considered prophetic of the offering that was made once for all, the offering of Jesus on the cross and any other reference to tithes or offerings that may or may not continue unto present day. I trust that any who join into this study have already understood the backgrounds for our modern day concepts and won’t try to re-teach. It’s my thought that we can review various scriptures and focus on what is oftentimes neglected from the pulpit.

There is a general principle known as the “Principle of First Mention” where we can understand that the Lord has placed emphasis on the first time any topic is mentioned in the Holy Word. We see this true in many places and when we consider the first offerings made by man this is no less the case.

Offerings of Cain vs. Able: [Genesis 4:3-5 NKJV] - And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the LORD. Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the LORD respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.

[FONT=&quot]We can skip the sermon on Works vs. Grace and continue [/FONT]à[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[Genesis 14:20 NKJV] - And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand." And he gave him a tithe of all.

Sodom, Melchizedek and Abram: [Genesis 14:14-24 NKJV] - Now when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his three hundred and eighteen trained servants who were born in his own house, and went in pursuit as far as Dan. He divided his forces against them by night, and he and his servants attacked them and pursued them as far as Hobah, which is north of Damascus. So he brought back all the goods, and also brought back his brother Lot and his goods, as well as the women and the people. And the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley), after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him. Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said: "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth; And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand." And he gave him a tithe of all. Now the king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give me the persons, and take the goods for yourself." But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, the Possessor of heaven and earth, "that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abram rich' "except only what the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men who went with me: Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion."
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paul did a better job of explaining the above than I could. Those interested can certainly open another thread and bring the message there but for now and here, we continue, and simply read the passages that have to deal with the Law, tithing and offerings [/FONT]à[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Sparrow, are we to read this in reverse order?

Yes. What can I say? I gets me some confused sometimes? :shame
Hope the rest makes sense, thanks for coming, Nick.

Blessings to you, sir.

NOTE: The THREAD STARTS at POST #5 - Read Top Down (from #5 to #4 to #3, etc.)

I have noticed that all of your scripture references are from the Old Testament. Now I do not disagree that tithing was a function of the Law. However do you have any New Testament sources and how would you reconcile

2nd Corinthians 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver

Which portends that God wants us to give as we se fit, and not of requirement.

So a voluntary tithe seems allowable but not a required tithe?

I have noticed that all of your scripture references are from the Old Testament. Now I do not disagree that tithing was a function of the Law. However do you have any New Testament sources and how would you reconcile

2nd Corinthians 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver

Which portends that God wants us to give as we se fit, and not of requirement.

So a voluntary tithe seems allowable but not a required tithe?

Greetings craigmn3,

Thank you, yes. The law that is now written in our hearts, to be kind toward others and to give freely is part of our agreement with God. There are other scriptures that we could look at too - Where Paul speaks about his decision to not require support, because he didn't want anybody questioning his motives. We could note that he documented his right to expect support and explore that too. My thought though is that what you've presented expresses the heart of it.

Pardon me though because I've been meaning to go back and select a couple examples to better show what God taught even when mankind was under the "law of stone". The one that really opened my eyes showed a three year cycle where those who were sanctified unto service (Levi and Aaron and their descendants) would receive on the third year. Additionally, they (the priests) were the "storehouse" and would keep a part of the bounty that they were given to help the widow and the orphan. Seems to me that a model of giving could be established for modern day. Not one of obligation but rather one of cheer and joy. If modern churches said, "Hey! Wait a minute. Maybe, just maybe, this could work... We certainly would be showing God's heart better, right?"

There are scriptures that state directly that heathen have accumulated wealth for the purpose of giving it to the righteous. They might not know why they are doing it but I suspect that as Christians actually act like Christ, the world will see the love they have for one another and act. Greed motive needs to be abhorred.

Here is a WIKI article about the history of the tithe. It speaks of a seven year cycle which I would presume correct.

The tithe is specifically mentioned in the Book of Leviticus, the Book of Numbers and also in the Book of Deuteronomy. The tithing system was organized in a 7 year cycle, corresponding to the Shemittah cycle. Every year, Bikkurim, Terumah, Ma'aser Rishon and Terumat Ma'aser were separated from the grain, wine and oil (as regards other fruit and produce, the Biblical requirement to tithe is a source of debate). Deuteronomy 14:22 Unlike other offerings which were restricted to consumption within the tabernacle, the yearly tithe to the Levites could be consumed anywhere (Numbers 18:31-14). On years one, two, four and five of the Shemittah cycle, God commanded the Children of Israel to take a second tithe that was to be brought to the city of Jerusalem. Deuteronomy 14:23 The owner of the produce was to separate and bring 1/10 of his finished produce to Jerusalem after separating Terumah and the first tithe, but if the family lived too far from Jerusalem, the tithe could be redeemed upon coins. Deuteronomy 14:23Then, the Bible required the owner of the redeemed coins to spend the tithe "to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish." Deuteronomy 14:22-27 Implicit in the commandment was an obligation to spend the coins on items meant for human consumption. According to the Hebrew Scriptures, the second tithe could be brought to Jerusalem any time of the year and there was no specific obligation to bring the second tithe to Jerusalem for the Festival of Sukkot. The only time restriction was a commandment to remove all the tithes from one's house in the end of the third year. Deuteronomy 14:28

The third year was called "the year of tithing" Deuteronomy 26:12-14 in which the Israelites set aside 10% of the increase of the land, they were to give this tithe to the Levites, strangers, orphans, and widows. These tithes were in reality more like taxes for the people of Israel and were mandatory, not optional giving. This tithe was distributed locally "within thy gates" Deuteronomy 14:28 to support the Levites and assist the poor.

The Levites, also known as the tribe of Levi, were descendants of Levi. They were assistants to the Israelite priests (who were the children of Aaron and, therefore, a subset of the Tribe of Levi) and did not own or inherit a territorial patrimony Numbers 18:21-28. Their function in society was that of temple functionaries, teachers and trusted civil servants who supervised the weights and scales and witnessed agreements. The goods donated from the other Israeli tribes were their source of sustenance. They received from "all Israel" a tithe of food or livestock for support, and in turn would set aside a tenth portion of that tithe for the Aaronic priests in Jerusalem.

Back