Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

A christian watching 2012?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Does anyone think that watching the movie 2010 is a bad idea, since we know the truth as stated in revelation and throughout the bible?
I watchedmovie when it first came out and thought it was pretty interesting, but its just sad to see people being bothered about the "world ending in 2012". I really hope people start reading about the truth!

Don't see a problem with it. Of course, I will never be caught watching that movie, as it has direct ties to many radical environmental groups, including Al Gore's crazy global warming thing. :screwloose

I watched it because I wanted to see what the talk was all about. It was a LONG movie about false information, which isnt from the word of God.

Pard said:
Don't see a problem with it. Of course, I will never be caught watching that movie, as it has direct ties to many radical environmental groups, including Al Gore's crazy global warming thing. :screwloose

I've seen it. It's a pretty fun movie in terms of the special effects, and so on, but very silly. If I remember correctly, it isn't really about the environment, but about a once-in-a-long-time event involving the sun heating up the Earth's core with rather dramatic effects. Not like The Day After Tomorrow, which is all about "runaway global warming", and very obviously pushes a certain viewpoint regarding the environment.

I think if you look hard enough you could connect almost any movie or TV show to groups and agendas that we as Christians are against. That's simply the world we live in. Were you to ignore any movie/show with such connections, there wouldn't be much left for you to watch!

And did i mention that the movie was so LONG! geesh!. I also feel that some of the effects were over done. They made some things look super fake. In the day after tomorrow movie, that seemed like a better 2012 world ending movie. Everything was good, 2012 was just too much.

Its kinda weird too because it seems that almost all of the movies being made are now against the bible and christianity in some way. I enjoy going to the movies but, at the same time i feel that each and everytime i go to the movies i hear a quote that leaves me feeling a little guilty about watching movies. I know God wants us to have fun, and hang out and even fellowship as young christian people, but what then will we watch when pretty much all movies are against what we believe in?

inhopeofglory said:
I've seen it. It's a pretty fun movie in terms of the special effects, and so on, but very silly. If I remember correctly, it isn't really about the environment, but about a once-in-a-long-time event involving the sun heating up the Earth's core with rather dramatic effects. Not like The Day After Tomorrow, which is all about "runaway global warming", and very obviously pushes a certain viewpoint regarding the environment.

I think if you look hard enough you could connect almost any movie or TV show to groups and agendas that we as Christians are against. That's simply the world we live in. Were you to ignore any movie/show with such connections, there wouldn't be much left for you to watch!

Godinme11090 said:
I watched it because I wanted to see what the talk was all about. It was a LONG movie about false information, which isnt from the word of God.

Here's a little known fact: The information isn't false only because it's not biblical, but also because the Mayans never actually predicted that the world would end on Dec. 21 2012. They had their doomsday predictions, as do all other religions, but they weren't associated with that particular date. The only thing that happens then is the turn of a century according to their calendar. The main difference is that, since the Mayan number system was based on 20 rather than on 10 like ours, their "century" is 400 years.

Theo,

Doesn't it have something to do with how the Mayans stopped their calendar at 12/21/2012? Frankly, to come to the conclusion that the day the Mayan calendar ends must be the end of the world i stupid. If we went by this thinking then the world is gonna end on 12/31/2010, cause my calendar ends then!

Pard said:
Theo,

Doesn't it have something to do with how the Mayans stopped their calendar at 12/21/2012? Frankly, to come to the conclusion that the day the Mayan calendar ends must be the end of the world i stupid. If we went by this thinking then the world is gonna end on 12/31/2010, cause my calendar ends then!

Not exactly. The Mayans actually used more than one calendar. The one people are talking about in relation to 2012 is correctly called the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar. You can read all about it on wikipedia, but here it is in a nutshell.

The year, which was called a tun, consisted of 18 months, or "winal", with 20 days in each. There are 20 "tun" in a "k'atun" and 20"k'atun" in a "b'ak'tun". (Don't ask me how to pronounce any of that.) Since the year is just short of a solar year at 360 days, the b'ak'tun is about 394.3 solar years.

Their way of representing dates in the long count calendar was similar to our way of writing short dates. It varies in different places around the world, but the basics are the same. In Europe, for example, today's date would be written 04.08.2010, indicating that it's the 4th day of the 8th month in the year 2010. The Mayans counted the days since creation (according to their account). Transliterated, it could be represented as b'aktun.katun.tun.winal.day. The date 4.3.2.1.0, for example, would represent 4 b'ak'tun, 3 k'atun, 2tun, 1 winal and 0 days after creation. December 20 in the year 2012 will be the Mayan long count date 13.19.19.17.19. The next day, December 21, will be 14.0.0.0.0. December 22, 2012 will be 14.0.0.0.1. That's all that happens. It's like going from 31.12.99 to 1.1.00 - no big deal. Maybe we should all plan to get together to throw a big New B'ak'tun Eve party.

Its all sad because alot of unbelievers, and many believers as well are starting to believe that the world will end Dec 21,2010. Even as an 8th grade sunday school teacher, i have to get deep inside the students minds to show them that, God never said in the bible when the world would end. Even Jesus doesnt know! I just pray that the christians stay strong because who know when the end of the world is,

And you would think that the "end of the world is happening" and that people would change their lives around to live for God! Its the total opposite, each and everyday society is becoming more and more corrupted.

Theofilus said:
Pard said:
Theo,

Not exactly. The Mayans actually used more than one calendar. The one people are talking about in relation to 2012 is correctly called the Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar. You can read all about it on wikipedia, but here it is in a nutshell.

The year, which was called a tun, consisted of 18 months, or "winal", with 20 days in each. There are 20 "tun" in a "k'atun" and 20"k'atun" in a "b'ak'tun". (Don't ask me how to pronounce any of that.) Since the year is just short of a solar year at 360 days, the b'ak'tun is about 394.3 solar years.

Their way of representing dates in the long count calendar was similar to our way of writing short dates. It varies in different places around the world, but the basics are the same. In Europe, for example, today's date would be written 04.08.2010, indicating that it's the 4th day of the 8th month in the year 2010. The Mayans counted the days since creation (according to their account). Transliterated, it could be represented as b'aktun.katun.tun.winal.day. The date 4.3.2.1.0, for example, would represent 4 b'ak'tun, 3 k'atun, 2tun, 1 winal and 0 days after creation. December 20 in the year 2012 will be the Mayan long count date 13.19.19.17.19. The next day, December 21, will be 14.0.0.0.0. December 22, 2012 will be 14.0.0.0.1. That's all that happens. It's like going from 31.12.99 to 1.1.00 - no big deal. Maybe we should all plan to get together to throw a big New B'ak'tun Eve party.

for some reason this thread got me thinking of Ghostbusters 2 when bill murray is talking to the guy telling him he thinks the world will end on new years eve. and then the girl says feburary 14th an he goes "valentines day. bummer." LOL.

as for the movie 2012, total pass. they are basing it on an ancient civilization that no longer exists. makes for a good indiana jones movie, but thats it. its funny cuz the mayans are smart enough to predict the end of the world yet not smart enough to keep there civilization alive!

plus, i mean its not like i'd be surprised if the world ended sometime within the next 10 or so years, i mean just look at all the horrible stuff going on. but God did say that noone knows what time the Jesus will return, not even the ANGELS know! i mean cmon! it doesnt get any plainer then that.

anyway, im not afraid. the sooner God comes back the better cuz im sick of this horrible world. i wanna go to heaven and be with Jesus and my family living in love, not this sad scary world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody should watch this movie-because it is terrible.I've seen some bad movies before,but 2012 trumps them all...

I just didn't like the script,the characters,the plot or the over abundance of special effects-besides that it was great

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back