Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study A Common Purpose

GodsGrace

CF Ambassador
This is under Bible Study because we should be studying the bible.
Instead some study other books which seem to me to be taking the place of the bible.

They are, for instance:
The Institutes of John Calvin 1536 (John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, about 1,000 pages long)
The Westminster Confession of Faith 1647 (450 pages)
The Catechism of the Catholic Church 1992 (about 750 pages)

The above are books written by men to explain their particular view of God and Christianity.
Bible verses are listed - but can we trust how they are interpreted?

Is it really necessary to have a book as long as the bible to explain what God wants us to know?
I hear from some that, for instance, calvinism is really difficult to understand.
It seems to me that there is no problem in understanding the bible as far as for salvific purposes....
Of course, the more one reads the O.T. and the N.T., the more one learns.

I'm slightly familiar with The Institutes, not very much with the WCF, but I'm very knowledgable
regarding the CCC and I can say with certainty that, even though some bible references are give,
there is much in the book that is tradition which was started by the Catholic Church and is practiced
to this day.

Can anyone defend those books?
Are they really necessary?
Is the bible not sufficient?
Should we be quoting other men instead of the writers of the bible and, possibly, the Early Church Fathers who, at least,
knew one or two of the Apostles and learned from them?

It 's difficult to have a conversation about Christianity with someone who quotes one of the above
books, or a theologian they particularly like and agree with - and in doing so, distort the Christian Faith
even more than the above books do.

I believe the bible is sufficient and should be our only source for theology.
What God wants us to know is in the O.T. and the N.T.

God gave us the text book so why do or would we need another. Is not the Holy Spirit to be our teacher! I don't care what others label themselves as and I do not mind discussing their views, but when they become passive-aggressive and just want to argue saying they are right and you know nothing then I have to draw the line with them.

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
Eph 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Tradition (not "tradition in the R.C. sense; they holding tradition on a par with Scripture) can be a valuable purveyor of the church’s cumulative wisdom. Even though tradition is not infallible, we would be foolish to ignore this corporate wisdom (Proverbs 11:14). Paul enjoined the Thessalonians not to forget the apostolic tradition they had received (2 Thessalonians 2:15). The “traditions” we have received are not the same as the Bible. But they can be, and in fact are, important while subsidiary. Whether it is the Westminster Confession or the Apostles’ Creed, we need to be slow to jettison that which has been handed down to us. Is it possible the Apostles’ Creed disagrees with the Bible? Yes. Is it likely? No. R.C. Sproul Truths We Confess

Sola Scriptura ... The principle of sola Scriptura neither rejects Christian tradition nor sets it alongside the Bible as another source of divine revelation, but requires that tradition be tested and sifted by the written Word of God. If God is God, then he is beyond our comprehension and his Word holds absolute authority.

There is nothing wrong with Sola Scriptura comparing scripture with scripture, OT with NT and also studying the history and culture of the various ears. It's only by the Holy Spirit that can give us wisdom and understanding of what we are ready. I don't need to clutter my brain with other books unless they line up with what Jesus already taught and what the Prophets and Disciples have written. God's word is not complicated, but mans teachings can make them complicated.

I don't need to clutter my brain with other books unless they line up with what Jesus already taught and what the Prophets and Disciples have written.
I guess I am more like the Ethiopian eunuch (well, not the "eunuch" part or lack of "part":eek2). Acts 8:30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?”
The right guide can increase your knowledge exponentially. Granted, the wrong guide might lead you to hell. So be like the Bereans ... Acts 17:10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea; and when they arrived, they entered the Jewish synagogue. 11 Now these people were more noble and open-minded than those in Thessalonica, so they received the message [of salvation through faith in the Christ] with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Aside: I grant that 80% (not that I know the percent) of Christian books are crap.

I guess I am more like the Ethiopian eunuch (well, not the "eunuch" part or lack of "part":eek2). Acts 8:30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?”
The right guide can increase your knowledge exponentially. Granted, the wrong guide might lead you to hell. So be like the Bereans ... Acts 17:10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea; and when they arrived, they entered the Jewish synagogue. 11 Now these people were more noble and open-minded than those in Thessalonica, so they received the message [of salvation through faith in the Christ] with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Aside: I grant that 80% (not that I know the percent) of Christian books are crap.
If we do not Spiritually discern that of what another is trying to teach us then we can be tossed around with a great amount of deceptive teachings that are out there. My philosophy is, if God didn't speak it nor Jesus teach it nor the Prophets and Disciples not write it I will not believe it. My rule of thumb. All things need to be proven.

Back