Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] A creationist with confidence in his beliefs:

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Barbarian

Rapper B.o.B Is Trying to Launch a Satellite to Show the Earth Is Flat
A rapper-turned-flat-Earther is attempting to prove that the world is not round by crowdfunding his own satellite launch.

B.o.B, born Bobby Ray Simmons Jr., is a rapper from Georgia who once recorded a diss track about physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, after the two got into a Twitter fight in 2016 about whether the Earth is round. The rapper is a member of the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who are convinced that the planet is flat, not round. A scroll through B.o.B's Twitter feed also reveals a number of other conspiracy beliefs: He is an anti-vaxxer, a 9/11 truther and also, for some reason, believes that oil does not form from the remains of organic material buried under pressure.

B.o.B's new GoFundMe has a $1 million goal and has raised $2,701 from 98 people in the five days since he put up the request. (He pledged the first $1,000 himself.) The goal, according to the rapper, is to launch a satellite as far into space as necessary to "find the curve" of Earth.
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1uGGJ...rapper-bob-satellite-to-prove-earth-flat.html

This is like Ken Hamm announcing that he'll build an ark, stock it with 8 people and 1 to 7 pairs of every kind of animal and let it drift for a year to show that it's feasible. Give the guy credit for his faith.

A rapper-turned-flat-Earther is attempting to prove that the world is not round by crowdfunding his own satellite launch.
And why not? When has science and fake news called it right? He seems to want his own proof.
With all the practice at weather they still can't call the perfect direction of a hurricane, exactly where the rain will fall, and how much in my neighborhood.
Cancer cures? they seem to be cheaper by the dozen, and selling pink clothing for breast cancer is a flourishing business; I'm surprised it isn't a listed stock commodity.

Explain fully the following scripture to me without plagiarizing someone else’s thoughts please.
Rev 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth. Good old Bobby just wants proof, and can we blame him?

1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.
Rom 4:17 Here it says God calleth those things which be not as though they were.
1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.

What say ye Brother Barbarian? :)

The Bible mentions the circle of the Earth, then mentions your sins will be cast away as far as the East is from the West
You can walk or travel East forever on Earth, you can only travel North in a straight line so far until you're headed South again.
That not only says Globe but proves it imo ..

:pray Oh, please, dear God, do not let this become a Flat Earth thread. I am already suffering from OSAS vs. OSNAS fatigue.

Surely you're aware this is a science forum, and you seek truth? :chin
Yes, but the Flat Earth debate has already been had on this forum, ad nauseam. I could be snide and say, "It is precisely because it is a science forum that I pray this doesn't turn into yet another exercise in Flat Earth cosmology," but I won't because I realize that sincere believers hold to the Flat Earth position and have their own curious version of "science" to support it. The reality is, the Flat Earth "theory" is a theological position, not a scientific theory (and it is a legitimate theological position if one holds to a particular view of Scripture). The scientific issues have been settled beyond any dispute whatsoever. In reality, the Flat Earth "theory" boils down to, "I don't care if all of science and my own lying eyes say the Earth is round, I choose to believe what I think God's Word says." If anything, a discussion of the Flat Earth belongs in the Theology forum.

The one flaw I see in the article Barbarian posted is the statement, "The rapper is a member of the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who are convinced that the planet is flat, not round." The reason B.o.B. is not raising any money is because, "The rapper is a member of the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who like to pretend they believe that the planet is flat, not round, because it's fun and makes them seem eccentric and interesting but who are unwilling to part with a shekel to demonstrate the sincerity of their supposed beliefs."

There, you've already caused me to say far more than this topic is worth, and I'm outta here!

The scientific issues have been settled beyond any dispute whatsoever.
You been there and done that? I worked on the Mercury project and have only a pin & pictures, and of course those could be fake news.
"The rapper is a member of the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who like to pretend they believe that the planet is flat, not round, because it's fun and makes them seem eccentric and interesting but who are unwilling to part with a shekel to demonstrate the sincerity of their supposed beliefs."
Unwilling to part with a shekel? Do you believe all the applications for science grants, or for that matter NASA funding does more than provide a secure income to those wanting to photograph planets at my expense?

Yes, but the Flat Earth debate has already been had on this forum, ad nauseam. I could be snide and say, "It is precisely because it is a science forum that I pray this doesn't turn into yet another exercise in Flat Earth cosmology," but I won't because I realize that sincere believers hold to the Flat Earth position and have their own curious version of "science" to support it. The reality is, the Flat Earth "theory" is a theological position, not a scientific theory (and it is a legitimate theological position if one holds to a particular view of Scripture). The scientific issues have been settled beyond any dispute whatsoever. In reality, the Flat Earth "theory" boils down to, "I don't care if all of science and my own lying eyes say the Earth is round, I choose to believe what I think God's Word says." If anything, a discussion of the Flat Earth belongs in the Theology forum.

The one flaw I see in the article Barbarian posted is the statement, "The rapper is a member of the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who are convinced that the planet is flat, not round." The reason B.o.B. is not raising any money is because, "The rapper is a member of the Flat Earth Society, a group of people who like to pretend they believe that the planet is flat, not round, because it's fun and makes them seem eccentric and interesting but who are unwilling to part with a shekel to demonstrate the sincerity of their supposed beliefs."

There, you've already caused me to say far more than this topic is worth, and I'm outta here!

Ha, up for a little man made climate change hoax Runner ? I settled flat Earth hoax in post #3 both biblically and practically imo ..

You been there and done that? I worked on the Mercury project and have only a pin & pictures, and of course those could be fake news.

Unwilling to part with a shekel? Do you believe all the applications for science grants, or for that matter NASA funding does more than provide a secure income to those wanting to photograph planets at my expense?

I'm pretty well-steeped in the "We Never Went to the Moon" movement since I have a 50-year background in ufology, but "We Never Orbited the Earth" would be a new one to me. My point about "unwilling to part with a shekel" was merely my firm belief that the Flat Earth movement is largely tongue-in-cheek; a large percentage of Flat Earthers don't actually believe it and aren't going to part with any money to support an effort to prove it. NASA is not exactly a model of efficiency, but for Flat Earth cosmology to be true almost every scientific discipline and the entire body of scientific evidence would have to be a complete and utter fraud.

PLEASE, SOMEBODY STOP ME!!! I am not going to get sucked into this debate, I am not going to get sucked into this debate, I am not going to get sucked into this debate ....

haha, you sound like the guy we want, We went to the moon and we also faked a realistic moon landing in the studio , that's two accounts

And why not? When has science and fake news called it right? He seems to want his own proof.

Commendable. I don't think he's figured out that launching an object into orbit is a contradiction in his worldview.

With all the practice at weather they still can't call the perfect direction of a hurricane, exactly where the rain will fall, and how much in my neighborhood.

I'm just impressed by how much better they are now, than then were just a few decades ago.

Cancer cures?

Yep. Leukemia used to be a fairly quick death sentence. Now,the survival rate for acute lymphocytic leukemia is about 85%. That's a great step forward.

Explain fully the following scripture to me without plagiarizing someone else’s thoughts please.
Rev 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth. Good old Bobby just wants proof, and can we blame him?

When someone says, "they went to the ends of the Earth", do you suppose it means there's a place somewhere that the Earth ends? Or is the surface of a sphere finite but unbounded? Like the "windows of heaven" from where water was said to fall as rain, these are figures of speech.

1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise.

The wise said that it was absurd to imagine continents moving around. Until they discovered the mechanism that makes it happen. Then, in my time, in less than a decade, all the textbooks changed.

Rom 4:17 Here it says God calleth those things which be not as though they were.
1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.

Theology is man's poor attempt to understand the details. Theology won't save you. Loving God and loving your fellow man, that's what will.

What say ye Brother Barbarian? :)

Just that.

I'm just impressed by how much better they are now, than then were just a few decades ago.
This was in reply to how with all the practice they have, they still can't determine the direction of a hurricane. I'm surprised with their competence ratio they didn't include California instead of possibly the Gulf, or straight up the middle of Miami, or the east coast. Did you see all those projected routes the storm might take? Science???
http://www.businessinsider.com/hurricane-irma-spaghetti-models-landfall-2017-9
The wise said that it was absurd to imagine continents moving around. Until they discovered the mechanism that makes it happen. Then, in my time, in less than a decade, all the textbooks changed.
Can't you just imagine the jaws dropping when Bobby discovers everything he's heard before is wrong? Maybe he should invest in textbooks prior to launch.
Just having fun with you brother; you're the only science expert I've ever known. :)

Well, it's probably true that like most flat-Earth members, he's just putting us on. But yes, if the spacecraft doesn't go into orbit, and just drops off the edge of the Earth, that would be a bit of a shock.

Please don't call me an expert; for that, I'd have to have a doctorate in astrophysics in this case.

Did you add up the rest of my post ? It fits together ..

It that was all that the Bible has to say about it. But talking about the four corners of the Earth, and the Devil taking Jesus high enough to see the entire Earth, and so on, would lead a literalist to assume the Earth is flat. These are figures of speech, and therefore, don't really indicate a cosmology. It is true that every educated Jewish person by the time of the Maccabees knew that the Earth is a sphere.

I believe the earth is round shape because the sun is round and the moon is round other players are round and the stars well they are round so why not be round as well. Im for all round.

I did once think when i was like 5yo why i dont fall off the earth if we go upside down.

Back