Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] A day at the beach.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stovebolts

Yesterday was my wife’s company picnic and being that it was her first company picnic; we didn’t want to miss it. Now, this summer hasn’t been a ‘fun’ summer as I’ve been working way too hard, like Friday for instance when I rolled into home shortly before 10 pm. The hours at work are beginning to really drag on me. Aside from the work load, my mother in law went into the hospital two months ago and we almost lost her in ICU twice, so from an emotional standpoint, our whole family has been under a tremendous amount of stress recently not to mention that where she is currently at is about an hour and a half away, so the nights that I’m not working late, were spending at the hospital, though I’ve got to say that my wife goes almost every other day, sometimes every day depending.

So yesterday’s our day at the lake for my wife’s company picnic. They had a lot of games for the younger kids and my 8 year old had a blast. However, our teenage daughter was bored stiff… so, we broke away to the other side of the lake to where the beach was.

I had never been to Stony Creek, but it was really a very nice, well kept public lake in affluent Macomb County. I was impressed by how soft the grass, just above the sand was kept. My son Jace had brought his boggy board and was anxious to get out in the crowded lake, but honestly, I just wanted to sit and relax. It was kind of eery letting him go out of sight amongst the crowd, but there were several lifeguards so against my better judgment, I let him go by himself.

A bit later he came back and insisted that I go out in the lake with him, so… off to the changing room I go to change into my swim suit. The water was cold at first, but our daughter came out with us so it was kinda like daring one another who was going to get wet first.. well, I made the plunge and it soon turned into a splashing party until she took the plunge. It was a lot of fun, but for some odd reason, she just smiled and headed back to the comfort of her beach towel to catch some more sun.

Jace and I were playing on his boggy board and I decided to cross over the rope that divided the shallow end from the deep in so we would have more room. I wasn’t worried about taking him to the deep end because he’s a really good swimmer, I could still touch the bottom and we had his boggy board which he was a master at getting on and off of in deep water. So anyway, I’m swimming on my back with my feet under the board while he was on top of the board paddling when he said something about something on the ropes a few feet from us. I’m kinda fuzzy on it all, but I stopped and there was a boy (His name is David, and he’s 15) with his younger friend a few feet away and he said something to the effect, “Excuse me…†(he was having a hard time). “He’s been there awhile and he’s not movingâ€Â… as he pointed at what my Son had just seen.

I turned to what David was pointing at and there was a boy.. floating head down on the ropes.

I wanted so bad for these boys to be playing a cruel joke, but I could sense that it was no joke. It was scary.. and as I rolled the boy over, it confirmed what I already knew. I can’t express what I felt, like I can’t express what I’m feeling now, but I held the boy in my arms like a newborn babe. His head started to roll out of my arm as I caught it and coddled it in my arm. I just thought, this is a precious boy and my love went out to him.

I looked up in a daze, as if to come back.. it was all slow motion. And I know God was giving me the strength as I looked at the tower where the lifeguard was and yelled, “HELP†“LIFEGUARDâ€Â… “LIFEGUARDâ€Â…

As I yelled lifeguard, a shriek of the boy’s mother went out as she and her friend started running into the water speaking and crying in Indian (they were a family from India). It was so painful to have her son in my arms knowing the pain she would be going through as I too had lost a child and I would never wish that upon anyone.

I saw a female guard running out, and I looked at this precious boy once again. I don’t want to describe it, but God’s peace was there as he lay limp in my arms. It was then I was moved to go under the rope and start heading for shore.

When I met the lifeguard, she looked stunned and said, “Lay him on the boardâ€Â. Just behind her was another lifeguard with a big board and I gently set him on it and said, “Get him in, … get him in.â€Â

I wanted to give him CPR once he was on the board, but something, I believe God’s spirit was telling me to go back to my son and the boy David, who were behind me. My son, he later told me, was paddling behind me on his board trying to catch me and David was close behind too. I grabbed my boy and David and we said a prayer. I remember the David’s friend has said something in the middle of our prayer and David told him to wait. After that, our prayer ended and we went to shore.

There was a group of people gathered around the lifeguards as the mother was wailing and crying… I couldn’t go there and I needed to be by my wife. I don’t exactly remember, but me and my son made it back to our area and I just grabbed a big beach towel, covered myself and let out a good cry. Our daughter asked what had happened when my son told her. It was hard to gain my composure, but I did and came out of the towel to talk. I stood back up to look at the crowd of people that had gathered around the boy being given cpr and my heart just went out to the family. It hurt sooo bad when David came up to me very shaken and said, “I should have done something.. I should have done something…†I looked at him, gave him a big hug and told him that he had done everything right… He did everything right.

After I had set the 9 year old boy on the board, I turned and David said something in the water and I replied, “You should have… “ when I realized how wrong that was to say and abruptly shut my mouth... If I have any regrets, it would be those three words spoken to a scared 15 year old boy who had just witnessed the death of a young child. Scripture tells us how much trouble our tongues can cause… and I know those words were ringing in David’s ears as he kept saying.. “I should have done something… I should have…†Oh God, anyone reading this please say a prayer for David.

The ambulance came and the lifeguards cleared the beach as they loaded the boy on the stretcher. Just prior to that they had cleared the crowd and as I made my way to retrieve my sun glasses, I saw them giving CPR to the boy as they pressed deep into his chest trying to get a heartbeat… The mother and her friends dressed in bright green, flowing robes were sobbing… and it was all I could do…

David and I spoke and my wife finally came up. Later I found out that my wife was on the shore and was contemplating coming in to be with us and saw me pick up the boy. The mother of the child was pacing up and down the beach calling out for her lost child and later found out that earlier, the lifeguards were yelling at the kids to stop playing on the ropes. Whether this boy was one of those children or not I don’t know, but it bothered me that this boy, who is not much bigger than my own son was grasping the rope just over a boey. What I woke up this morning to, was the thought of the boy who had swam out past the first rope and realized he needed to come back. I think he made it back to the boey where he ran out of energy… and the boey wasn’t big enough to support him. This image haunts me and as I type, it’s hard to hold back what I’m feeling.

My wife stayed at the beach and was trying to comfort the mother and although there was a language barrier, I believe that there is a universal language between mothers. What amazes me is how the Indian community came around this woman (David and I later was talking to an older gentleman of her ethnic background) but what disappointed me was how my wife was the only white person there. In addition, David had called out to several adults before I responded and they just turned and went the other way.

I don’t want to end this on a sour note because I don’t know what other people are thinking. But I do know how my family is responding and we’ve all got some healing to do. Part of that healing is going to the funeral tomorrow for this little boy and it would be my prayer, that everyone who reads this to pray for the family of the boy, David and his family, my family including my 8 year old son who was a first hand, close up witness to all of this and my wonderful wife who put the needs of others before herself, the female lifeguard who held it together until it was safe for her to break down and the boy was in the ambulance, and all of the people that were there to support those in need, and will continue to be in need.

http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/0723 ... 3010.shtml
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/13732653/detail.html

13735635_240X180.jpg

What a horrible thing to have to go through, Jeff. I just know theres a plan of God there, this was no surprise to Him.
Mourn with them, bro ...but also share the hope not only in your words, but in your life and actions. Be that strong shoulder of faith but also know it's okay to mourn, not as the world does ...but as one who knows heaven is real and God is good and loves the children.
I will be praying that God will put His words in your mouth concerning the 15 year old who is filled with regret and condemnation ... and also in all the lives that this 'divine appointment' has put you in the middle of. And yes, it is a divine appointment for you to walk out.
May God give you comfort and much wisdom to touch the lives around you. He wants to use you in this brother and do a work in your own life. ....I'll be praying.

Thank you for your prayers for all of us Sis, they mean a lot to me.

I found out that his name is Samathra. They are having viewing tomorrow from 10 am till 3 pm in Hamtramick.

We are all God's creation... ohh... it's soo hard. I feel for the family so deeply.

Jeff :crying:

I am at a lost for words trying to imagine what would be going through my mind if I and my children experienced that.

Please know that you, your family, and the other family will be in my prayers.

aLoneVoice said:
I am at a lost for words trying to imagine what would be going through my mind if I and my children experienced that.

Please know that you, your family, and the other family will be in my prayers.

Jeff, I ditto aLoneVoice on this.

Yesterday , I saw that 25 people had looked at this post before I did, and I saw they too must have been lost for words as I had been. I was so saddened by what happened that I didn't know exactly what to post and I thought, 'What could I possible say that would help, but all I could think of was too pray the Lord guide you and be with you all in this very difficult time. I also pray for your hearts to be healed.

Hi Jeff!

I see today is the day after the funeral

In fact, as it is now 4.10am Central Time, Lord, I pray that you will speak to the family & friends of little Sam in dreams & visions, as you promise in Joel 2, & claim that precious promise of the ministry of the Holy Spirit to remind them of all that Jesus has said to them & draw them to the peace past understanding, from the Pronce of Peace, the Sole Soul Supplier

Lord, in Your time & in Your way, 'turn their mourning into dancing' & 'give the oil of joy in place of mourning'

& Lord, for all who read this thread with tears & sighs, as I have, we thank you that the shortest verse in Your Word - 'Jesus wept' - really means that His whole body shook with sobs for His dear friend Lazarus & the grieving Mary & Martha

God bless!

Ian

Thank you to everyone who held us in their prayers. Continue to do so and may God bless you in your walk with Christ.

StoveBolts said:
Thank you to everyone who held us in their prayers. Continue to do so and may God bless you in your walk with Christ.

Please feel free to PM me if you wish, but how is your family doing?

Thanks for your concern Alone.

My son, who is 8 woke up screaming at 5:30 this morning. He thought he heard some screaming and it woke him up and when he looked out the window, he thought he saw a man with white pants and a blue shirt laying on the ground screaming... thing is, we live on a farm and just outside his window is green grass and an apple tree.

We went to the funeral Tuesday and it was good for all of us. It was a Hindu funeral and we were a bit out of place, but when the uncle found out who we were he led us to the father who was mourning over the casket. When he found out who I was, we embraced and we started sobbing. It ended up being too much for him and he passed out. The mother was in a constant state of crying as well.

Hindu funerals are way different than any other funeral I've been to. I don't know if it was their priest or what, but the second segment of the funeral was just him singing up front on his carpet with all these bowls around him. His song was full of tears and sorrow, but it transformed into a pleasant, relaxing song and you could just feel the calmness surrounding you. This lasted for about an hour and at one point, the women started this chant that sounded like cries, then they went to the mother and surrounded her in song. It was beautiful.

It is their custom for people to come up and speak, and they treated my family as their family. I was very welcome as was my family. I had a good talk with their teen son. He's a good, strong young man. It felt like he was holding the family together as his mother would not eat and his father, he told me, kept passing out. I can relate to that since I would pass out at any given time for around two months after I lost my daughter (that was almost 20 years ago.. man that makes me sound old....)

Anyway, our family went up and I was to only talk about my feelings, which I knew God would give me the words. When I had finished, they wanted me to tell the story to everyone how it happened. It was tough, but I think we all needed it.

I'll share a portion of it with you, since it's so dear to my heart.

When I first put this little boy in my arms, I held him like a newborn babe. I knew that his life had left him... you could see it in his eyes. His head started to wabble out of my arm, and I gently placed it in the crevice of my elbow. I just looked at this precious boy and I loved him like my own child. It was a beautiful moment, as tragic as it sounds. I don't know if words can express that moment, but it was peacfull in it's own accord. After that moment, I called for help.

I told the crowd, while looking at the father that I held his son, as if he were my son, and that I had loved him. At that I told him and his family how very sorry I was for them and I almost lost it. As I set the mic down, I picked up my son and the father stood up to greet me. We embraced and when it was over, hes motioned for my son. My son opened his arms and he picked my son up and they both hugged each other for a long long time. For a moment, my son was his son, and he could love his son one last time in the flesh.

From there, I noticed that my wife had gone to his wife (she was mid way back on a couch with the other women) and i proceeded to meet them. She said that she wasn't going to cry anymore, and proceeded to ask me some questions. When we were leaving, she reached out and said, "God bless you"

From my own perspective, I've had to work through a lot of stuff. One place I find much joy is this. When I lost my daughter almost 20 years ago, I remember holding her dead body in my arms and I didn't want to let go. I was crushed... I remember going outside the hospital and cursing God.. I hated God... In an odd way, looking back that is, I feel much relief and it oddly feels like a "Do Over" in some mysterous way.

In John 18:18 and John 21:9 you will find the word anthrakia (coals). This word is used twice in the entire NT and as I reflect on the context in which it was used, I hear myself saying "Yes Lord, I love you" as I am subconciously aware of the feeling and emotions evoked by the physical items that surround me.

Jeff!!! :crying: I had to clear my temp files and cookies a few times in the last couple of days and the new post flags went away as a result. I'm just reading this now, with tears staining and burning my eyes. What a tragic thing for their family and yours.

My condolences to their family and my deepest sympathy for yours. May the Lord be our refuge and fortress in times like these.

My prayers to your family, and his, Jeff. I've been away at the hospital, and have only just read this today.

I unfortunatly am just reaing this today as well.

Your family as well as that of the little boys and all those who experienced this will be in my prayers.

lovely said:
My prayers to your family, and his, Jeff. I've been away at the hospital, and have only just read this today.

lovely - is everything okay with you?

lovely - is everything okay with you?

Yes, thanks...I have testing that I am going through right now, and I live an hour and a half away from the hospital so the appointments run several days in a row. I think the tests are going to be good news ultimately, and that things will be more than okay if the Lord wills. Thanks, and the Lord bless.

Thank you each and everyone of you for your prayers and your comments. I believe your prayers are making a difference and I can’t express how dear they are to me at this time as your thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who is affected. I am especially concerned about the family in every way. Please continue to pray for them.

I thought that I posted this, but I guess I didn’t. This is some footage from the news cast from Sunday Night. His Uncle was a very nice man. He was the one who greeted us as the funeral and brought us to the boys father. I cannot say enough good things about these people.

I don’t know who Andy Kola was, but he must have been close.

http://www.wxyz.com/mostpopular/story.a ... 4163cd3ac7

The boys name was Soumithra (pronounced shoomitrah, with the tra rolling off your tongue almost like spanish) Chakraborty. His mother and brother told me that he could not swim… but I believe just like any energetic 9 year old, he must have figured it out and swam, or at least dog paddled past the ropes and into the deep end. The autopsy stated that he did not drown because they didn’t find any water in his lungs. His mother told me that he also had Asthma so we can only guess that he ran out of breath and the boey was the closest thing to swim back to try and catch his breath. Unfortunately, the boey wasn’t big enough to support him.

StoveBolts,

My prayers are with you.

The Lord put you in that place for a reason. I believe it goes far beyond that day. Begin to seek Him and ask why He brought you through that experience and what you are supposed to learn from it. Also ask Him if He has a purpose for your encounter with this family. I learned a long time ago to filter everything through Romans 8:28 and ask God to use events and situations for His good and His glory. Be willing to be used by him to touch a family who can go back and touch a nation and turn it toward the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is through some of the most tragic things that God has drawn me closer to Himself. Someone once told me that if the devil had a clue, he would see to it that we had everything that we ever wanted or needed, then we would die in our sin, and never recognize our need for God. I experienced so much death and lost so many loved ones when I was a child that I was often accused of being calloused when someone else lost loved ones. I never have found the right things to say or the right way to say them. Grandpa used to tell me "Ya just keep goin. Ain't no harm in missin them. Ifn' it hurts, then cry. That's what tears are for. There ain't no right thing to be said nor done. Reckon there ain't no limit on wrong things though."

Ask the Lord to put His words in your mouth for David. There is an unfinished sentence that needs a conclusion. God can do that for both of you. Reliving the experience, having it come back in dreams, might happen for a while. If you come up with something that you should have said or done differently, simply repent and ask God for forgiveness and healing.

Ya just keep goin.

Jeff,

If only I had known what you had been through when I first read your most recent emailing. I hadn't been to the prayer page like you suggested, so I am just now reading your heart-wrenching post from last week while I upgrade the weather RADAR computer in between inserting new discs there and coming to this computer to type...

After reading your post, and recalling what happened to you with your baby daughter, I can only wonder why God has been so "easy" on me and my family while other families are subjected to such sadness. I say "easy" a bit prematurely, because we have had our own issues, but not like the death of a child. No doubt, God had you and your family there for a reason, as you certainly could have missed the whole event by staying at your wife's company picnic. God has no doubt used you and your family as a tool of comfort for this family who had lost their son. What an amazing thing - that in spite of such sorrow, God is able to make use of it and enable us to survive and move on.

I thank you for posting this - as I have related to you, my faith is in need of a boost lately, and this story has truly helped me to realize that God is still working in the world, even among the sadness of death.

Brother in Christ,

Joe

Jeff & Family,

I just want you to know that You & your family & all of those involved are in my thoughts & prayers. How heartbreaking, I so feel for the family & Sam- bless his heart. I have grandsons his age & have lost a granddaughter, aged 9 to Nieman pick disease 4 years ago. God was gracious enough to let us keep Kayla with us for a couple more years anyway. I believe that you & your family were placed there for support for others, that includes the family, lifeguard, etc. It's hard to lose a child- but our source of comfort must be in the Lord. For it is from Him that we draw our strength in times of need. God Bless you & your Family.

Rosalee Decker
"Raise me up Lord to be more than I can be."

I wanted to thank every one of you for your thoughts and prayers. Please continue to pray for our family. My Mother in Law, Margaret Lee Lynch, wife of 56 years to her devoted husband Jerald passed away Sunday evening around 8 pm. She was surrounded by 18 of her closest friends and family members as we sung hymns and prayed as she slipped into her eternal rest with our Father.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back