Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study A Lesson of Poisin Ivy

G

Hebrews 12:1-3 said:
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entagles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

I sit here tpying this post with poison ivy on both arms and on both legs. Having worked outside on Saturday cutting weeds and moving brush, and might I add not wearing the appropiate protection (Eph 6:11) for the job - I am not covered with poison ivy.

As I awoke in the morning with the intense 'need' to itch, I quickly took a Benadryl to relieve the itching sensation. Later in the afternoon, as the medication wore off, I was reminded of these verses from Hebrews and how my current desire to itch was similiar to our sinful desires.

You see, I could have easily given into the desire to itch my poison ivy. It would have provided for me the relief that I was longing for, it would have eased the tension of not wanting to give in. Just this once, if I itch it - the 'itchy' feeling will go away and I will 'feel better'.

But while it would have provided temporary relief - the itchy would be back. And, if I had itched, opening up the little blisters, that fluid would have gotten on my hands, it would have spread along my arms - thus spreading the 'poison' the prolonging the infection.

Sin - operates very simliar. It want's to be 'itched'. The desire is strong, the temptation is very real, and oh how it 'entagles us'. Once itched, sure there might be temporary relief, but then it spreads. It needs to be itched again and again and again.

Hebrews tells us that we need to 'lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us." Rather than 'itching the sin itch" - we are to set our eyes upon Christ - who "for the JOY set before Him, endured the cross..." That's right, Christ looked to the pain of the Cross as JOY - knowing that through HIS enduring of the Cross, WE might be set free from the 'itch of sin'. He did this for US!

After having endured the Cross, Christ "sat down at the righ hand of the throne of God." It is finished. It is complete - the salvation that is fouind in Christ Jesus alone, is completely finished. He "sat down." There is no more work that He needs to do or that we need to add to - Christ did the work to secure our freedom from sin. It is by fixing our eyes upon Him - that we can navigate through life's course. In Him is the Victory - keep your eyes fixed on him.

Do not settle for the temporary relief of 'itching the sin' - it will merely come back and spread to other areas. Rather, accept the work of Christ - to heal you of your sin - to provide pernament and everlasting victory over sin! (1 John 3:9)

The itch of the poison ivy reminds me that the freedom is found in Christ Jesus, not in the temporary relief from 'giving in."

Praying for the healing power of the Great Physician to heal you

Then you won't fear if you hear a classic station play...

altogether now...123...

Later on, when you're sleepin'

poison ivy comes a-creepin'

arou-wow-wow-ound!!!

Praise God that the devil is under our feet... 8-)

& it's C=R=U=N=C=H time!!!! :multi:

Ian :-D

Thanks Alone...very true, and very well written, and VERY encouraging. I read it to my husband, and we were both very blessed. Thank you, and the Lord bless you.

Back